News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread- Page 140

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread

INTOTHEWOODSLIFE
#3475Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/25/14 at 11:07pm

^^^Before I say anything I will once again say no one was bad everyone did their job very well and each had something spectacular to bring to the production. The people I will name were just not as strong as others, but were still very good.

In order
Anna Kendrick (a very talented girl, but seemd very scared and insecure about playing Cinderella which she has actually said in some interviews, and it defiantly came across on screen)
Daniell Huttlstone (sadly only on this list because he was very hard to understand at most times)
Tracy Ulmand (very funny and good but not as memorable as others)

Again although these people were not great, they were still amazing and defiantly brought justice to their characters. Does anyone disagree with me? I am curious to hear (for the people that saw movie ) who you think the weakest links are?

Updated On: 11/25/14 at 11:07 PM

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#3476Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/25/14 at 11:17pm

It's great to hear that everyone is good in their roles.

Tony2600
#3477Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/26/14 at 12:07am

Watching Streep perform "The Last Midnight" I couldn't help but think of her singing "could I bury my rage my with a boy half your age in the grass? Bet your ass!". If they ever get that Follies movie done, she'd make a wonderful Phyliss.

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#3478Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/26/14 at 12:37am

^she'd be an amazing Sally, but she may be too old.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#3479Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/26/14 at 1:15am

If you google "movie screenings" or "Into The Woods movie screenings" and do some clicking around, you may be pleasantly surprised at the results.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#3480Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/26/14 at 1:25am

""If they ever get that Follies movie done, she'd make a wonderful Phyliss.

Yes! In the FOLLIES dream cast film I've suggested Streep for Phyllis and Bernadette (of course) for Sally. Best to get it done in the next two years Rob Marshall :P.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Showface
#3481Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/26/14 at 7:36am

Blunt was on Letterman last night, and apparently, Pine was on Kimmel.

On Letterman, they showed the, "these beans carry magic" scene.

Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread

Showface
#3482Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/26/14 at 8:27am

Oh, and you can buy your movie tickets now! Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread

wssinsider
#3483Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/26/14 at 10:44am

People in the SAG nominating committee got the DVD screener today. Lucky ones

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#3484Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/26/14 at 12:27pm

Praying they send screeners to us in the crafts guilds too.
Either way, we'll be at the screening at the Disney Lot this Friday eve. Very psyched.

Updated On: 11/26/14 at 12:27 PM

Showface
#3485Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/26/14 at 12:33pm

^Report back when you see it! Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread

Showface
#3486Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/26/14 at 12:58pm

Another review:

"I was at an industry screening last night, and I wept. The film is beautiful, the music is so lush and gorgeous. All of the actors are spot-on. The few changes to the script are mainly there to streamline the story for timing. At a few points they do seem to over-explain things that were left implicit in the stage show, but that didn't bother me too much.

A couple of things I really liked about the adaptation:
1. The use of daylight.
Stage productions seem to exist only in a dark, overgrown, nighttime woods, and when you think about it, they are there for three days straight. Some of it will take place during the daytime, and Marshall used this wisely for some of the lighter scenes ("Agony," for example) which also gave us some lovely landscape shots. He let night fall when scenes became more ominous.

2. Giving The Witch a deadline
Since I saw the Central Park revival, in which Donna Murphy appeared to get older as the first act wore on, I realized that as written The Witch's three-midnight deadline for the Baker and his Wife is rather arbitrary. Why now and why only three days? Why didn't she come to them sooner and give them as long as it took? The revival showed that it had little to do with them and everything to do with her. She could lift the curse on them whenever she wanted, but she had little time to lift the curse on herself, which really raised the stakes. Similarly, the movie gives them three midnights before [the blue moon that rises every hundred years, and the spell can only be reversed then] so The Witch has her own deadline to worry about.

Also, I liked how the combined scenes and in some places let action speak louder than words to move the story along. It allowed the songs to breathe more and savor the moment, since the momentum of the plot was moving so strongly.

And, for those who are worried, the only ways in which the story has been made more family friendly is in how it's shown. We don't see a toe or heel drop to the floor, we don't see the Baker's Wife fall from the cliff, we don't see Rapunzel's Prince with blood dripping from his eyes, it's all done artistically. But all of that is still there, and the impact is the same.

And Meryl's "Last Midnight" is a tour de force."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2180411/board/thread/237275934

Updated On: 11/26/14 at 12:58 PM

Showface
#3488Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/26/14 at 1:25pm

Updated On: 11/26/14 at 01:25 PM

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#3489Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/26/14 at 2:22pm

Showface...thank you thank you thank you for the wonderful review...i am even more excited now and we still have a month to go!...but i know it will be the best birthday present i am getting this birthday

indytallguy
#3490Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/26/14 at 3:51pm

Thanks ljay889.

Your suggestion has me now in possession of two free tickets to a 12/18 screening in Chicago. Yippee.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
Showface
HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#3493Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/26/14 at 6:28pm

Guess Corden and Blunt aren't big in France.

Showface
#3494Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/26/14 at 9:37pm

The writer of the latest review I posted continued:

"Sorry for the delay. The holiday has kept me in the kitchen all day!

The singing is, for the most part, wonderful and I have no real complaints about anyone. If I had to nitpick, Emily Blunt reaches a little further in her chest voice sometimes than she maybe should, especially considering how lovely her head voice sounds when she goes there. It happens a few times in "Moments in the Woods," but her performance of the song is enough to let you forgive her. I just wish she'd worked on her mix a little more. Johnny Depp is doing the same thing he did as Sweeney, which is fine, though having seen him, I do wish they'd gone with someone else. His costume (which I still don't like) Is rather reminiscent of Jeff Goldblum in the Faerie Tale Theatre "Three Little Pigs,"(https://youtu.be/sGNTHPn_4Cc?t=8m5s) which made me think, "Why not Jeff Goldblum as the Wolf?!" But he's not there for long enough to really hurt the movie at all.

Anna sounds lovely, of course, and she mentioned that they brought "Steps of the Palace" up a step for her. Mainly because Paul Gemignani knew she might be afraid of her soprano and he wanted it in a key that would force her to use her soprano. And then Rob Marshall said, "I hope it's not too high, because you know you're belting that last note." And she does all that and sounds fantastic.

The kids are awesome. They both have that beautiful musical theatre ping to their voices, resonating right in the center of the mask.

And Meryl. Meryl Meryl Meryl! We've heard the belt in "Stay With Me," which she uses in such beautiful contrast to the whispery soprano she uses at the beginning and end of the song. But then "Last Midnight" comes along and all hell breaks loose. Between her voice, the orchestration, the lighting effect, and the camera swirling around her... I had to catch my breath.

You're all really in for a treat!"

Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread

MagicalMusical Profile Photo
MagicalMusical
#3495Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/27/14 at 2:20am

Well...maybe Meryl should sound both sad and angry in those lines..it's just that she sounds just angry to me. Maybe she's doing both and I can't catch it.

ShakinBaconGirl, people can feel chills each time they hear or see a certain something. I'm sure you didn't mean you can only feel chills once, did you? I know I can much more than once.

This is all great stuff you guys are bringing into this thread.

I like that new poster with the rest of the characters much more than the one with just the Witch in it. I was expecting that one to not be the final, "official" poster, but instead this international poster to be the final, official one. The only thing is the Baker and Cinderella's Prince should switch places with each other, and so should the Baker's Wife and the Wolf. Then the two leads would be the biggest and at the top, and Cinderella would be across from her prince, and the Wolf would be closer to his prey. Then it would all be more right.
Updated On: 11/27/14 at 02:20 AM

TBO2114
#3496Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/27/14 at 10:24am

What will we find if we Google Into The Woods movie screenings

Showface
#3497Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/27/14 at 10:51am

^Tickets and dates to screenings. Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread

TV Spot just shown during parade...

indytallguy
#3498Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/27/14 at 12:01pm

Google led me to a free advance screening in Chicago a week before the Christmas opening.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#3499Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/27/14 at 12:12pm

Mmhm. If you do the research, you will find the results. Many of the screenings require a non-industry membership (that can easily and cheaply be attained). Out of respect for those organizations, I won't post the direct link or details. All you need to do is google and click around.

Maximum Thread Size of 5,000 Messages Reached
Please Start a New Thread!

Videos