News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread- Page 138

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread

Wildcard
#3425Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/24/14 at 2:09pm

It's a well-made film. It's also very straightforward and pretty much the stage play translated to a movie. As a Broadway fan, I'm elated that's what we got. However, as a film, it doesn't offer anything new or unique. Chicago at least presented a new way of doing movie musicals. I will likely be in the top 9/10 and be nominated. I don't think it will be in the top 5 to be seriously considered as a contender for Best Picture.

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#3426Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/24/14 at 4:06pm

I think that it could possibly be nominated due to its rich and sophisticated subject matter. The moral of this story is so powerful and it's so beautifully executed.
It may also be considered because of how amazingly well they pulled off the theatricalness of this show on screen. That is a very hard thing to do and they *apparently* did a great job at doing so.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#3427Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/24/14 at 4:24pm

Hey, we had a B&W, silent, 4:3 ratio film win Best Picture a few years ago.

Anything is possible.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

stage_star
#3428Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/24/14 at 8:34pm

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Brand-New-INTO-THE-WOODS-Special-Look-Promo-Video-20141124

Some new footage Tracey Ullman dying.

But what's up with Blunt's clearly auto-tuned voice? O.o

Plexsis
#3429Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/24/14 at 8:51pm

I think that's a mixture of poor audio quality as well as it being Blunt and Kendrick singing together on that line, not autotune

icecreambenjamin
#3430Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/24/14 at 9:28pm

I didn't see any footage of Tracy Ullman dying...

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#3431Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/24/14 at 9:29pm

Is Playbill accurate with this statement?

Rob Marshall is being put forward in the Best Director category, with Stephen Sondheim and James Lapine sharing a Best Adaptated Screenplay nomination for the score and screenplay.

Wouldn't Lapine be nominated alone for the screenplay? Is Sondheim really eligible?

Updated On: 11/24/14 at 09:29 PM

icecreambenjamin
#3432Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/24/14 at 9:33pm

They may just want to try and get Sondheim another Oscar. They shouldn't have cut that song. He would have been eligible and could have possibly won.

stage_star
#3433Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/24/14 at 9:34pm

I didn't see any footage of Tracy Ullman dying...

^^ It's a very quick shot, at around :53/:54

Wouldn't Lapine be nominated alone for the screenplay? Is Sondheim really eligible?

Sondheim wrote some new lyrics, so maybe that's why they're sharing credit?

Merman's Swear Jar2 Profile Photo
Merman's Swear Jar2
#3434Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/24/14 at 9:37pm

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this but... Can anyone who has seen a screening tell me if they've maintained the "Though it's fearful, Though it's deep..." rounds in the finale? I've been curious as to how Marshall may have adapted those for the screen.

I love Broadway, show tunes, raked stages, and the Great American Songbook. I'm also partial to Patti LuPone, Bernadette Peters, Ethel Merman, Barbra Streisand, Liza with a Z, her mother, and fatty bacon...

HBP Profile Photo
HBP
#3435Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/24/14 at 10:19pm

SPOILER

Yes. The finale is played over the credits, as they show stills of the actors. Then a shot of Cinderella at the tree for the final "I wish."

icecreambenjamin
#3436Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/24/14 at 10:24pm

^meh.

really?

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#3437Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/24/14 at 11:27pm

But what's up with Blunt's clearly auto-tuned voice? O.o

stage_star: I think we may be hearing both Blunt and Kendrick sing that line together? It sounds like two voices to me. But, yeah, it doesn't sound very... organic.

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#3438Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/25/14 at 7:02am

i just read an OSCAR BUZZ column in this mornings LA TIMES...THE GOLD STANDARD...which states that the DIRECTORS GUILD SCREENING yesterday had split the audience in their reactions...the 3rd act of the movie is not playing well with members of the audience and that seems to diminish the over-all impression of the movie...now i am getting worried...this is a sour note for possible BEST PICTURE mention...

Updated On: 11/25/14 at 07:02 AM

ShakinBaconGirl Profile Photo
ShakinBaconGirl
#3439Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/25/14 at 7:55am

It's not like it really had much of a shot at a BP nomination anyway. I wonder what they didn't like about it, the 2nd act is the best part of the show.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#3440Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/25/14 at 9:23am

I think broadwaybaby was talking about the third act (in terms of a three-act film structure), which I imagine involves everything after "Moments in the Woods" or so.
Maybe I'm in the denial stage and I'm aware of how dramatic I sound, but I refuse to believe that mediocre movies like LES MIS or the unwatchable EXTREMELY LOUD AND INCREDIBLY CLOSE could get in for Best Picture and not INTO THE WOODS. Obviously, each year is difference and the cares ARE stacked against INTO THE WOODS, but I really want it to get in, oh well.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

ShakinBaconGirl
#3441Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/25/14 at 9:53am

Ugh I almost forgot how awful that les mis film was. I don't know, the reactions so far seem pretty mixed and it's also a fantasy film. Those aren't good odds. The only thing about the film that people seem to love is Streep's Performance. Nothing else has really gotten flat out raves.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#3442Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/25/14 at 10:34am

Why don't we wait for the official reviews before declaring the professional opinion and award probability?

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#3443Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/25/14 at 11:42am

Um, go through the thread, we have been discussing the awards probability of the film since it was announced. Now that actual award pundits, whose only job is to evaluate and predict the awards prospects of a piece, have seen it, I think it's pretty fair to keep discussing it. Reviews actually mean a lot less for Oscar chances than word from award experts. If you went by reviews and box office, something like GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO should have gotten in over EXTREMELY LOUD AND INCREDIBLY CLOSE. LES MIS only had 70% on Rotten Tomatoes but was pegged by award experts for a nod since it was first screened.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#3444Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/25/14 at 11:49am

Um, I've read the thread since day one. I'm just saying - If the professionals, critics, and pundits at these screenings are not allowed to review the piece yet, I just think that it would make more sense to wait for some official reviews before declaring this a critical success or not. People seem to be basing things on "reactions" as opposed to reviews. Anyway, I am not really a movie person, and do not follow this process, so please feel free to further educate me on it.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#3445Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/25/14 at 12:01pm

I've gotten the general sense that reactions have been mostly positive.

And it shouldn't be terribly surprising the second half of the movie isn't landing well with some people. The musical has the exact same issue. Not everyone digs the change of tone, the reliance on ballads, the dark turn.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Rumpelstiltskin Profile Photo
Rumpelstiltskin
#3446Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/25/14 at 12:31pm

Attention Houston . . . Theater Under the Stars has sent an invitation to an ITW advance screening at the Edwards Greenway Grand Palace (3839 Weslayan) on Thursday December 11 at 7:30. Send email to tuts_intothewoods@moroch.com with your name and the number of requested tickets. Of course, seats are limited.

ShakinBaconGirl
#3447Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/25/14 at 12:32pm

"Um, I've read the thread since day one. I'm just saying - If the professionals, critics, and pundits at these screenings are not allowed to review the piece yet, I just think that it would make more sense to wait for some official reviews before declaring this a critical success or not."

But the professionals are allowed to give tweets about the film which gives us some insight on what the the reviews will be. No one has declared it anything, we are just speculating, like we have done since screenings.

Updated On: 11/25/14 at 12:32 PM

beautywickedlover
#3448Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/25/14 at 1:39pm

Some B-roll footage has been released. The second video features some of the actors in the recording studio. Very impressed with everyone's singing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGNr5LmSYIU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKEtzf4qz0k

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#3449Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/25/14 at 1:59pm

we are just speculating, like we have done since screenings.

Fair enough. I think that I just wanted to say, before we worry that the reviews may be mixed, let's wait until we actually see them.

Maximum Thread Size of 5,000 Messages Reached
Please Start a New Thread!

Videos