pixeltracker

Hamilton Cancellation Line- Page 158

Hamilton Cancellation Line

Big Apple2 Profile Photo
Big Apple2
#3925Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 12/11/16 at 8:47am

I don't see the need to bring chairs. There are steps to sit on under an awning, which are good for the first 10-12 people to sit on. Those wanting tickets would want to be in that group of people anyway for a better chance at those cancellation tickets. 

somechrysanthemumtea Profile Photo
somechrysanthemumtea
#3926Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 12/11/16 at 9:18am

Has anyone done the line recently? Care to share any experiences?

TayTay2
#3927Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 12/11/16 at 9:26am

We are from Gilbert and I'm happy to buy whatever is needed off of amazon. I'm just wondering about how to dressing as in layers. How many layers for top, bottom? What do you normally wear? How do you keep your hands and feet warm all night? Do you get any sleep on the steps? Is there a "magic" blanket that retains your warmth? there's electric gloves available, has anyone tried them? Sorry for the million questions. My daughter is adamant about camping out and with Raynauds you can loose your digits from cold weather. She currently has a pair of gloves that are infrared and she does pretty good.

someone said yo look at stubhub as prices come down. How much do those normally sell for? I'm happy to do that but we have limited funds due to years of trips to Hackensack, specialty appointments, weekly chemo, monthly infusions etc and no she is not contagious. Also, where could we print the tickets off if able to purchase while we are waiting on line?

Again, thank you for answering my questions. I love this community forum!

ashk8177
#3928Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 12/11/16 at 9:40am

I was in the area 30 mins before showtime last Sunday and there were only 12 people in line. I don't know how many got tickets or what time they lined up. At this point, and probably more so in January, I seriously doubt an overnight stay is necessary. If you do last minute at StubHub you can print them in the Marriott printing center, which is right next door. I have not been watching prices, but you could start keeping an eye out now to watch for trends. However, the holidays may inflate prices for a while. I think they would be much lower by the time you go. Best of luck!

craynyc
#3929Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 12/11/16 at 9:57am

did anyone get in line this morning? What's the line like? How many folks are there and what time did they arrive?

jmol1533
#3930Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 12/11/16 at 8:57pm

Is anyone doing the cancellation line this week? Can I be your plus one? I'd be happy to pay your ticket. PM if interested. 

Updated On: 12/12/16 at 08:57 PM

Fan99
#3931Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 12/11/16 at 9:09pm

TayTay2 said: "We are from Gilbert and I'm happy to buy whatever is needed off of amazon. I'm just wondering about how to dressing as in layers. How many layers for top, bottom? What do you normally wear? How do you keep your hands and feet warm all night? Do you get any sleep on the steps? Is there a "magic" blanket that retains your warmth? there's electric gloves available, has anyone tried them? Sorry for the million questions. My daughter is adamant about camping out and with Raynauds you can loose your digits from cold weather. She currently has a pair of gloves that are infrared and she does pretty good.

someone said yo look at stubhub as prices come down. How much do those normally sell for? I'm happy to do that but we have limited funds due to years of trips to Hackensack, specialty appointments, weekly chemo, monthly infusions etc and no she is not contagious. Also, where could we print the tickets off if able to purchase while we are waiting on line?

"

I did the cancellation line last February for a Saturday matinee and it was tough in the cold. I wore what I would wear to ski in.  Down coat with hood, down gloves, hat, scarf.  After about an hour I lost all body heat anyway and start to freeze.  A simple wool coat will not be good enough.  Wear as many layers as you can but the key was Hot Hands handwarmers.  You can buy them in NYC at Duane Reade (local drug store on every corner).  Buy alot and put them in your pockets gloves, shoes, inside your jacket.  Bring a blanket or newspaper or something to sit on.  The concrete is freezing and it will make you colder all that much faster.  I did not sit as I forgot something to sit on.  It will get a little warmer by mid morning/afternoon but it will be cold as you are just standing/sitting.  I do not think you have to sleep overnight.  I went by the theater last week and there was one person in line at 9:00AM for the 8PM show.  If you only need 2 tickets, only one of you needs to stand in line.  Your line mates may let you and your daughter switch on and off.  Find the local library branch or a Starbucks to warm up and hang out.  The tickets on Stub Hub usually drop about 15 minutes before curtain.  Make sure you buy tickets that can be downloaded (pick up would take too long)  You would have to print them out quickly at the Marriott's business center if you try that route.  I have seen them drop to about $300-350. Check out City Co Pilot for luggage storage...although they close at 8PM.  Good luck!

belrowley
#3932Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 12/11/16 at 10:23pm

TayTay2 said: "We are from Gilbert and I'm happy to buy whatever is needed off of amazon. I'm just wondering about how to dressing as in layers. How many layers for top, bottom? What do you normally wear? How do you keep your hands and feet warm all night? Do you get any sleep on the steps? Is there a "magic" blanket that retains your warmth? there's electric gloves available, has anyone tried them? Sorry for the million questions. My daughter is adamant about camping out and with Raynauds you can loose your digits from cold weather. She currently has a pair of gloves that are infrared and she does pretty good.

"

Honestly, given your description of your daughter's medical condition, I would not recommend having her camp outside all night. January in NYC can get brutally cold at night, especially with the wind chill, and it's tough enough for able-bodied people. Besides, if you only need two tickets, only one of you needs to stay on the line. Your daughter can't substitute your place in the line, but she can join you later and you can buy tickets for the both of you.

As for clothing/staying warm, you'll need lots of layers: multiple socks, sweaters, scarves, gloves, hats, definitely a down jacket and not just a wool coat. The theater has become really lax with enforcing its rules, so I would suggest bringing a thick sleeping bag - even if you don't lie down, you can still wrap it around yourself for warmth.

ellingjt
#3933Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 12/12/16 at 3:55pm

belrowley said: "...Your daughter can't substitute your place in the line, but she can join you later and you can buy tickets for the both of you...."

@belrowley Do you have recent experience with this? From other replies lately in this thread, it seems subbing is okay now. If that's not the case I'd be very interested to know, because I'm going to be trying to sub this weekend.

Updated On: 12/12/16 at 03:55 PM

RiseUp2
#3934Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 12/12/16 at 8:28pm

Subbing is ok, but both people have to be there to actually purchase the tickets.  So if you get called 90 minutes before showtime and only one of you is there you might be screwed.....

mailhandler777
#3935Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 12/13/16 at 2:21am

Don't people get hot in the theatre in all that clothing you wear to do the cancellation line? I almost died of the heat(not really but I was hot and uncomfortable) a few weeks ago when I was dressed for cold weather and the theatres I went to were super hot. 

Hi, I'm Val. Formerly DefyGravity777(I believe)

casedilla2
#3936Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 12/13/16 at 3:45am

RiseUp2 said: "Subbing is ok, but both people have to be there to actually purchase the tickets.  So if you get called 90 minutes before showtime and only one of you is there you might be screwed....."

I had this problem when I was there last week too. It was 2 hours before showtime and I was purchasing two tickets and the person at the box office almost wouldn't sell me the tickets because my plus one wasn't there yet. I know they can do whatever they want, but how does this fit into the previously posted rules or any new ones? One person has always been allowed to buy two tickets, and the rule was always that you and your guest had to immediately enter the theater after purchase but obviously they can't do that hours before showtime. I just wish they'd make an official rule about this because it's extremely unfair to not tell someone that until they are literally standing at the box office making their purchase, when the rule has always been 2 tickets per person.

immunetocold
#3937Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 12/13/16 at 5:31pm

Updated On: 12/17/16 at 05:31 PM

jmol1533
#3938Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 12/14/16 at 12:06am

I'll share my experience with the cancellation line for today's (Tuesday) 7 pm show since this forum was so helpful for me. I read on previous posts that you need to arrive very early in the morning to increase your chances at getting a ticket. However, when I walked by the line at 3:45 pm (three hours before curtain) there were only 9 people in line.

Therefore, I decided to try my luck for today's evening performance. The first two in line were a couple that arrived there since 9 am. I don't know about the rest of the line, but #8 and #9 were two women that got in line at 3:00 pm. I got in line at 3:50 pm, making me #10 and an Australian girl that arrived at 4 pm was #11. We later became line buddies. A couple taking spot #12 and #13 got there at 4:15 pm. It's important to note that all the people that were standing in line were only claiming one ticket each.

At around 5:30 pm, the couple that was first in line were offered tickets and took them (I'm unsure if they were unclaimed lottery, premium or house seats). Then, at 6:15 pm unclaimed lottery seats were offered for and purchased by the next five people in line. As patrons and lottery winners started filling the theatre at 6:30 pm we started to get anxious that there were no more cancellation line tickets left. However, at 6:53 pm the two girls in front of me were offered house seats and then at 6:57 pm my line buddy and I were offered $199 house seat tickets, Orchestra Center, Row G. The last two cancellation tickets were claimed by the couple that had #12 and #13 in line and they sat right next to us. They got inside the theater at about 7:03 pm. There were about other 18 people in line when I got in at 7:00 pm, but I doubt they got tickets. 

Anyways, I highly recommend the cancellation line for anyone that can't afford the ridiculous inflated prices scalpers are asking for. The wait is not that bad and you actually get the opportunity to meet very cool people. I only had to wait three hours in line and still was offered a house seat. The view is incredible; you can actually see the actor's tears from there. Then again, it was a Tuesday evening performance. I'm sure it's a different story for weekends and matinees. Just make sure you're between the first 10 people in line and your chances will be pretty good. Good luck to all!! 

Updated On: 12/14/16 at 12:06 AM

casedilla2
#3939Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 12/14/16 at 9:07pm

A friend and I will be waiting in the cancellation line sometime this weekend and can do the line either show on Saturday, Sunday, or Monday. If anyone is interested in being our plus ones in exchange for helping pay for our tickets, please message me and let me know!

ellingjt
#3940Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 12/16/16 at 9:46am

casedilla2 I just sent you a pm. If anyone else is planning on waiting in line tomorrow (Saturday 12/17) or wants to line sit PLEASE reply or PM me. I had some plans fall through and am in a tight spot now. I'm flying in tonight and out on Sunday and was planning on trying my luck with the line tomorrow.

Ortensiah
#3941Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 12/16/16 at 11:09pm

FWIW, I passed by around 5:30 pm today and there were only 10-15 people in line, and it looked like one person was being called in to buy (maybe premium?) tickets. It was really cold though, so I didn't stop to talk to anyone in the line.

dokool
#3942Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 12/17/16 at 9:04am

What exactly is the protocol for the Wednesday cancellation line, especially the 8PM performance? You still can't get in line till 5:30? Honor system or free for all?

TayTay2
#3943Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 12/17/16 at 6:07pm

Can someone tell me what are the best gloves that you use while standing in cancelletation line for say ten hours? Any experience with heated gloves?

what do you experienced folks recommend?

ellingjt
#3944Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 12/19/16 at 2:32pm

I wanted to share our line experience here because I learned a lot from this thread and wanted to give some info back. My wife and I went to the 2pm show on Saturday, 12/17. 

We had a very limited time in the city, so we wanted to hire a line sitter. Over a month ago, I PM'd HamiltonObsessed and set it up. I had plane tickets purchased, and was at the airport on Friday, on my way to NYC, when I got a text that he was cancelling because it was supposed to be cold and snow. This put me in quite a bind, so I made a new post asking if anyone else could help me out and luckily lgm20162 PM'd me and we set it up.

I got to the line at about 4am to make sure I would be close to first in line. I ended up being the first and no one else showed up until about 5:30/5:45 when one person showed up. lgm20162 came and subbed out with me at about 6am, and held my place in line until 12:30 when I came back, and then he hung out to see who all got in. He can speak more to how many people showed up and at what time, but it sounds like by about 9:30am there were 10 or so people in line. We didn't end up getting called into the box office until 1:45pm or so (15 min before show time). We got 2 unclaimed lottery tickets, front row! I texted lgm20162 to see who else got in and it sounds like they gave out 10 tickets and 1 standing room only ticket. Show was incredible, Michael Luwoye blew me away and I enjoyed all of the rest of the cast as well.

I highly highly recommend lgm20162 if you want to go the line sitter route. He's done the line a bunch of times and was knowledgeable about the process. He made friends with the people behind me in line and nobody minded at all when we came back to sub back in. Very responsive via text and gave me a lot of updates and was super flexible. Thanks man, I really appreciate it!!

I am disappointed with HamiltonObsessed and can't really recommend him as a line sitter. It seemed like it was going to work out really well, but it left me in a huge bind by cancelling at the last minute. I don't want to badmouth anybody, so I'll just say that if you are looking for a dependable line sitter, send lgm20162 a PM. 

superyan
#3945Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 12/19/16 at 5:10pm

I walked by the line a few days ago at 4, and again around 7:30 and noticed mostly the same people in line. 

A woman told me that they were all told that they are getting at least standing room seats, a few people turned down premium seats and most people were just waiting for $200 seats to open up.  That being said, I've never seen 20 people get in.  Is this normal?

supersam1026 Profile Photo
supersam1026
#3946Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 12/19/16 at 7:54pm

Is it considered frowned upon to wait in line only for SRO and pass up a $200 ticket if it is presented? I know you'll never be forced to buy anything you don't want, but I was just wondering if that's considered OK?

4getmenot
#3947Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 12/19/16 at 8:36pm

ellingjt said: "I wanted to share our line experience here because I learned a lot from this thread and wanted to give some info back. My wife and I went to the 2pm show on Saturday, 12/17. 

We had a very limited time in the city, so we wanted to hire a line sitter. Over a month ago, I PM'd HamiltonObsessed and set it up. I had plane tickets purchased, and was at the airport on Friday, on my way to NYC, when I got a text that he was cancelling because it was supposed to be cold and snow. This put me in quite a bind, so I made a new post asking if anyone else could help me out and luckily lgm20162 PM'd me and we set it up.

I got to the line at about 4am to make sure I would be close to first in line. I ended up being the first and no one else showed up until about 5:30/5:45 when one person showed up. lgm20162 came and subbed out with me at about 6am, and held my place in line until 12:30 when I came back, and then he hung out to see who all got in. He can speak more to how many people showed up and at what time, but it sounds like by about 9:30am there were 10 or so people in line. We didn't end up getting called into the box office until 1:45pm or so (15 min before show time). We got 2 unclaimed lottery tickets, front row! I texted lgm20162 to see who else got in and it sounds like they gave out 10 tickets and 1 standing room only ticket. Show was incredible, Michael Luwoye blew me away and I enjoyed all of the rest of the cast as well.

I highly highly recommend lgm20162 if you want to go the line sitter route. He's done the line a bunch of times and was knowledgeable about the process. He made friends with the people behind me in line and nobody minded at all when we came back to sub back in. Very responsive via text and gave me a lot of updates and was super flexible. Thanks man, I really appreciate it!!

I am disappointed with HamiltonObsessed and can't really recommend him as a line sitter. It seemed like it was going to work out really well, but it left me in a huge bind by cancelling at the last minute. I don't want to badmouth anybody, so I'll just say that if you are looking for a dependable line sitter, send lgm20162 a PM. 

"

So I thought I will share my own experience as well.  I was also hoping to get cancellation tickets for the 12/17 matinee.  I didn't put out a general request because I saw you were also interested in the show and in my convoluted analysis of the situation, I thought making the request would impede my chances.  So I privately reached out to HamiltonObsessed and one other member.  Since the latter member could get in line earlier, I decided to go with him.  I passionately pleaded with an appeal to his honor not to flake on someone who was flying in just the see the show.  But lo and behold, he didn't show up in line and didn't even notify me so I didn't realize what was happening until Saturday morning.  

I don't have any negative feelings towards this member.  I knew this informal line sitting agreement arranged through this forum was risky but I was willing to take on the risk for the steep discount.  But I did spend most of Saturday morning cursing to myself about why I didn't go with HamiltonObsessed.  Now I know that wouldn't have worked out either.  Although it was cold on Friday, the Saturday weather was quite mild albeit rainy.

Everything did work out in the end.  I ended up winning the lottery for the Phantom matinee and enjoyed the afternoon there.  On Sunday, I originally held tickets to the Color Purple but I received an e-mail mid-morning indicating Jennifer Holliday called out and we could obtain refunds.  I saw it as a sign so I quickly took up on the refund and rushed over to the Richard Rodgers Theatre.  Although the cancellation line was too long at this point for me to get a realistic shot, I chatted with the people ahead of me and made a judgement call that they weren't willing to pay more than $200.  I went on Stubhub and fixated on a seat in Row F center.  Thanks to to the advice from the thread, I knew to go to the business center at the Marriott and kept on clicking refresh on that seat.  At 2:39pm the price went down to $400 which was what I would have paid for line sitting so I jumped at the purchase.  It took another ~12 minutes for the ticket to become downloadable on SH but I was all ready to print and dash out next door.

Unfortunately I cannot say I liked Michael Luwoye and the rest of the cast as much as I did the Chicago cast.  However, having the amazing seats helped to compensate somewhat for the disparity in the quality of the two casts.  Next time I am in Chicago I will be able to get similarly awesome seats.

superyan
#3948Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 12/19/16 at 8:38pm

supersam1026 said: "Is it considered frowned upon to wait in line only for SRO and pass up a $200 ticket if it is presented? I know you'll never be forced to buy anything you don't want, but I was just wondering if that's considered OK?

Quite OK.  People pass up $500 tickets waiting for $200 ones all the time.  The venue is also constantly releasing $500 tickets through out the day.... I'm guessing after the cancellation people turn them down.

ygjake
#3949Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 12/21/16 at 6:21pm

Hi guys, me and my friend are first in line in the cancellation line for the 8:00 show for tonight. We will able to buy two more tickets when we are called. Please PM me if you are interested. 

Videos