Pippin Tour?

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#375Pippin Tour?
Posted: 2/4/15 at 8:47pm

I am assuming that Sabrina is coming back to the tour after their Playhouse Square stint being thats Molly Tynes final stop.

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#376Pippin Tour?
Posted: 2/4/15 at 9:19pm

It's too bad you guys don't get to see Sabrina Harper. Of the new cast members in LA (as opposed to returning stars Matthew James Thomas and Andrea Martin), she was the clear stand out. Just a sensational turn. Has she ever done Chicago? I could see her being a great Roxie or Velma, frankly. In fact, put her in as Velma and Catherine d'Amboise as Roxie and I'll be there!

brdway411
#377Pippin Tour?
Posted: 2/4/15 at 9:26pm

So glad I got to see the original cast multiple times and got to be on the cast recording. I have loved this show for many years. Happy some of you got to see MJT and the wonderful Andrea Martin.

evic
#378Pippin Tour?
Posted: 2/4/15 at 9:27pm

Since Variety no longer publishes road grosses, I am curious to know how this is doing around the country. Anyone know?

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#379Pippin Tour?
Posted: 2/4/15 at 9:35pm

Sabrina Harper played Roxie in Switzerland.

Jace2017
#380Pippin Tour?
Posted: 2/4/15 at 10:54pm

Random question but is anyone familiar with Sabrina Harper's background. Mostly all of her credits are European. Is she American and just performs abrode?

trpguyy
#381Pippin Tour?
Posted: 2/4/15 at 11:04pm

According to her website, she's from California and went to universityl in Germany, resulting in a lot of European gigs.

HesNoGood Profile Photo
HesNoGood
#382Pippin Tour?
Posted: 2/4/15 at 11:34pm

The revival was great!! Saw it three times in New York. It was fun to see the tour in LA since I got to see MJT and Andrea Martin (It was already KDM and Annie Potts when I was in NYC) -- something about the spirit of the show felt a little lost in a theatre as large as the Pantages. Somehow the Music Box really seemed to heighten the sense of spectacle (if that makes sense?). And Rachel Bay Jones is just... incomparable. AND HILARIOUS!! So I missed her.

eyehrtfood
#383Pippin Tour?
Posted: 2/5/15 at 12:06am

Evict: you ask about road grosses.. Unsure how the tour is playing everywhere, but here in Cleveland (where it opened Tuesday), it's an expected sellout during its two week run, in a 2,800 seat house.

Oh - and Sasha apparently was out tonight... The trend continues..

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#384Pippin Tour?
Posted: 2/13/15 at 2:54pm

it appears as though Harper returned to the show this week after missing 6 weeks due to injury.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#385Pippin Tour?
Posted: 2/13/15 at 5:33pm

I think she returns next week.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#386Pippin Tour?
Posted: 2/16/15 at 1:27am

I know if differs by city, but has there been rush for any of the last few stops? I want to try to see this at least 3 times when it comes to my city (It plays 8 performances). So I'd like to get good seats while being cost effective :)

KnewItWhenIWasInFron
#387Pippin Tour?
Posted: 2/18/15 at 2:57pm

Wow, you people remarking on Allen's backphrasing of "Magic to Do" are not kidding. The rhythm is way off and you can't understand the words. I wonder if Stephen Schwartz knows what she's doing to his song?

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#388Pippin Tour?
Posted: 2/19/15 at 11:09pm

Yea I don't understand why she does a LONG riff in the begining of Magic to do with the line "join us come and waste an hour or two...." she doesn't have a lot to do with the Fosse dancing at least not as much as Patina, Ciara and Carly. I really want to know what the Weissler's think of this.

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#389Pippin Tour?
Posted: 2/19/15 at 11:09pm

Yea I don't understand why she does a LONG riff in the beginning of Magic to do with the line "join us come and waste an hour or two...." she doesn't have a lot to do with the Fosse dancing at least not as much as Patina, Ciara and Carly. I really want to know what the Weissler's think of this.

Updated On: 2/19/15 at 11:09 PM

ebontoyan
#390Pippin Tour?
Posted: 2/19/15 at 11:35pm

Is Pippin appropriate for 10 and 13 year old nieces?! My sister says she thinks Kinky Boots is more appropriate for her kids than Pippin. I haven't seen Pippin yet so I can't comment. Although I thought since this is about circus maybe more age appropriate?! Anyway I am watching touring Pippin next week in Des Moines then I'll have more input. But if anybody wants to weigh in I'd love to hear your inputs. Thanks very much!

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#391Pippin Tour?
Posted: 2/20/15 at 12:19am

is there any audio out there of Allen for any of the numbers?? Would love to hear her!

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#392Pippin Tour?
Posted: 2/20/15 at 12:27am

Pippin is probably more appropriate than Kinky Boots, and I think I saw some audios with Sasha on tumblr

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#393Pippin Tour?
Posted: 2/20/15 at 1:17am

I have to disagree. Pippin has sexual innuendos, cursing, an implied onstage orgy, and some violence. I'd let a 13 year old see it, but even that's pushing it. Kinky Boots is WAY more appropriate. I love Pippin, but if I were the adult in the situation, I would feel very awkward watching with a 10 year old, and then having to explain what the cage was all about. The worst thing in Kinky Boots is a few mild innuendos and the fact that it's about drag queens (that's a big deal for some, but not for others). I would take them to see Kinky Boots.

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#394Pippin Tour?
Posted: 2/20/15 at 1:37am

Honey, There's a full HD show video of her. LOL

Darreyl with an L!

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#395Pippin Tour?
Posted: 2/20/15 at 1:41am

Just go to tumblr and type her name it. Audio clips will come up.

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#396Pippin Tour?
Posted: 2/20/15 at 2:03am

You can watch the whole show with all the different casts on you know where.

FishermanBob Profile Photo
FishermanBob
#397Pippin Tour?
Posted: 2/20/15 at 2:23am

"Pippin has sexual innuendos, cursing, an implied onstage orgy, and some violence. I'd let a 13 year old see it, but even that's pushing it. Kinky Boots is WAY more appropriate."

Yeah, because Kinky Boots only has multiple acts of onstage violence including a character being knocked unconscious in a fistfight and an on stage boxing match, a high level of sexual innuendo ("Mommy what do they mean the sex is in the heel... is someone going to have sex?") and a factory worker trying to seduce her boss no less, and get him to be unfaithful to his fiancé.

See, you can make almost any show sound inappropriate. As far as Pippin is concerned, letting a 13 year old see it is pushing it, and yet a 9 year old and a 12 year old actually performed in the show on Broadway as Theo. OMG, shouldn't someone be calling child protective services about that?

In reality, both shows are probably fine if you have a willingness to talk about and answer questions afterwards especially if you see Kinky Boots and this is their first exposure to Drag Queens. Maybe describe the scenes that might be questionable beforehand and get their reaction to it. If anything about Pippin, the scene with fire at the end might be the most "scary" or disconcerting for a 10 year old. A lot depends on the maturity of the child as well as their age. These days, kids, even 10 year olds see stuff that has as much violence and sexual innuendo as anything in either of these two shows on MTV and the Kardashians and are perhaps less prone to being shocked than most adults give them credit for.

Updated On: 2/20/15 at 02:23 AM

ebontoyan
#398Pippin Tour?
Posted: 2/20/15 at 7:22am

Thanks to everyone for their inputs to my question. All much appreciated!!

eyehrtfood
#399Pippin Tour?
Posted: 2/20/15 at 11:40am

Saw the production last weekend in Cleveland (after having seen the revival OBC in NYC). Overall, the production was near-identical, physically to the Broadway version... and I've never heard such a pumped up sound system in my life - both orchestra and vocals... (not in a bad way...) - so the sound made certain the audience was into the show.

I enjoyed it - especially a wonderful Rubinstein (preferred to Mann), an appealing Molly Tynes (still on for Fastrada), the old pro Priscilla Lopez (a solid Berthe... but hard to get close to Andrea Martin...) The surprise was Kristine Reese as Catherine... (I had, politely - not exactly taken to the performance of the original revival actress in this role... I know many loved her... just didn't resonate with me...) - wonderful... great voice. Nice presence. Nice take.

Sam Lips as Pippin seemed college-trained to the hilt, with not an ounce of his own personality... And - strangely - Sasha Allen was on that evening (she missed several perfs in CLE....) - but the lobby "at this performance" board - hadn't been changed from matinee - so all along I thought I was seeing the understudy because the board said she was not on... Only after show did I see picks of understudy and realize that couldn't have been her and was Sasha. I'm hardly a Patina fan - but Sasha sang it well - but moved awkwardly... and faded a bit into background, I thought.

Videos