gstrus2
#375THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/6/15 at 1:19pm

Was Tin Man announced?

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#376THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/6/15 at 1:23pm

Scarecrow (who I hear is in final talks to be Corbin Blue) and Tin-Man are TBA.

They really are hitting the casting out of the park on this one. Sounds to me NBC along with Craig Zadan and Neil Meron have realized in the past 2 years their celebrity lead was the problem and have tweaked that formula. 

RW3
#377THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/6/15 at 1:24pm

That's right, they haven't. My fault. I jumped the gun.

bigbelterbaby
#378THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/6/15 at 1:31pm

really don't like the casting of Amber Riley as Addaperle. disappointed THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL

Hesione Hushabye thinks it tastes like ashes.

Thparkaly
#379THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/6/15 at 1:31pm

YES! Love this casting so far, but Uzo makes it for me. They've got my attention!

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#380THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/6/15 at 1:36pm

"really don't like the casting of Amber Riley as Addaperle. disappointed THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL"

This.  On first and second thoughts.  But, I hope to be proven wrong.  Maybe Glee was the wrong place - but in the two seasons I watched I never saw the comedy chops for Addaperle.  Really was hoping for Raven Symone.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#381THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/6/15 at 1:48pm

"really don't like the casting of Amber Riley as Addaperle. disappointed THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL"

Why? Amber Riley was one of the best things to come out of 'glee'. The girl can "blow", I'm sure she's going to make a fabulous "Addaperle"!

skies Profile Photo
skies
#382THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/6/15 at 1:50pm

I agree.

Amber Riley is going to nail it...so happy to see her get the role.  The woman has pipes.

"when I’m on stage I see the abyss and have to overcome it by telling myself it’s only a play." - Helen Mirren

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#383THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/6/15 at 1:51pm

I wish Raven was Addaperle, though she probably can't now that she has joined the geniuses on the View.

maxkko Profile Photo
maxkko
#384THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/6/15 at 1:51pm

I'm very excited for this. Third times a charm?

musicaltheatreman2
#385THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/6/15 at 1:54pm

I was also hoping for Raven Symone or Whoopi Goldberg, but I hope Amber proves us wrong. I am sure she will be good, although I see her more as a Dorothy. 

I wonder if Audra McDonald was even asked to be apart of this? Does anyone have the inside scoop? I mean she got the best reviews for The Sound of Music Live, so out all shows  with an all black cast I would think she would be one the first people to ask to be in this. If she was I wonder why she turned it down? She wont be in rehearsals for Shuffle Along at the time of this.....I was really hoping Audra was going to be Glinda but, I am excited to see Aduba! 

So far it looks NBC will have a hit! lets just hope they learned from their bad camera work and other filming mistakes from their past live shows. 

silent
#386THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/6/15 at 1:59pm

I think the casting has been half good and half atrocious. Latifah and Mary and Uzo are not good picks, imo. But whatever. I don't understand why they don't just tape it instead of doing it live. 

musicaltheatreman2
#387THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/6/15 at 2:02pm

Agreed, I wish they would just pre tape it and make it 100% perfect filming wise and just air that. 

sparepart973
#388THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/6/15 at 2:21pm

I was totally wishing for Amber to play Dorothy.

Casting is perfect. Glad Audra is not in it. I don't think she's soul enough. Give her the soprano roles. She messed up Dreamgirls. 

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#389THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/6/15 at 2:50pm

I like the casting a lot, although I have no idea who these two are. I didn't watch Glee, and I haven't seen Orange Is the New Black.

Still, these two clips convince me. I look forward to seeing them in the roles!

Adaperle:

Glinda:

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 8/6/15 at 02:50 PM

AppleSunday
#390THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/6/15 at 3:05pm

""really don't like the casting of Amber Riley as Addaperle. disappointed THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL"
Why? Amber Riley was one of the best things to come out of 'glee'. The girl can "blow", I'm sure she's going to make a fabulous "Addaperle"!
 "

I can't speak for anyone else, but when I think of Amber I think of an amazing singer, but not much of an actress. Especially in relation to the level of talent she brings with her voice. Maybe she improved with time after I stopped watching Glee, and her performance on Dancing With The Stars proved she has drive and dedication in spades so I very much hope to be proven wrong and that her casting being announced along side Uzo's is an indication of what's to come. 

Updated On: 8/6/15 at 03:05 PM

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#391THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/6/15 at 3:07pm

I'll miss Audra, but excellent casting nonetheless!

ILOHTFAHA (Aida Man) Profile Photo
ILOHTFAHA (Aida Man)
#392THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/6/15 at 3:20pm

Also Amber was in the Hollywood Bowl staging of "Hair" so it probably shows she has stage presence as well. Uzo I originally would've cast as Addapearle but after seeing the clip of her singing in "Godspell" I can totally see her as Glinda. And if Corbin Bleu is the Scarecrow I would've gotten one choice in my dream cast RIGHT!!!

Showface
#393THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/6/15 at 3:39pm

I. LOVE. THIS. CAST.

JUST GIVE US CORBIN BLEU FOR THE SCARECROW!

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#394THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/6/15 at 4:21pm

I wonder if the hold up for Scarecrow is working out a deal with Usher? I was told at one time he would join of the rest of the cast was above par. Seeing this cast is top notch and that he's a huge fan of Michael Jackson I could see it working out. 

ILOHTFAHA (Aida Man) Profile Photo
ILOHTFAHA (Aida Man)
#395THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/6/15 at 4:24pm

"I wonder if the hold up for Scarecrow is working out a deal with Usher? I was told at one time he would join of the rest of the cast was above par. Seeing this cast is top notch and that he's a huge fan of Michael Jackson I could see it working out. "

Maybe it was for the Tin-Man, but you could be right...

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#396THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/6/15 at 5:51pm

Gosh, they're NAILING this cast! 

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#397THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/6/15 at 6:30pm

I'm mixed on the cast. Maybe it's just me but I feel like this Tv production hold  a very significant value in our time in history right now. With all stories about racist cops and all the riots, I really feel like this production could potentially be not only inspiring, but also a staple in our American culture. This production seems a lot bigger than just another live musical tv show. 

With that being said, I think it would have been wonderful to see the most influential  African American artists star in this production. Artists like Beyonce, Jennifer Hudson, Usher, Jamie Fox and others would have (in my opinion)  helped point out the significance of why telling the story of The Wiz at this current time in our country, is so important and vital to our country.

It seems like the directing team is completely aware of the impact this show could have. I have nothing against Amber Riley or Corbin Bleu (if he is cast).  I'm sure they are fine performers . I just would have preferred (not necessarily bigger names) but names that speak more profoundly to our nation. 

But of course, timing and scheduling is big issue with this type of project. Schedules just don't workout sometimes. In any case, I'm very much looking forward to The Wiz.

Updated On: 8/6/15 at 06:30 PM

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#398THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/6/15 at 6:30pm

Double post. 

Updated On: 8/6/15 at 06:30 PM

rexin
#399THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/6/15 at 6:31pm

hopefully it will be done well and nothing like the hate wacth peterpan was

Videos