HELLO, DOLLY! Previews

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#375HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/23/17 at 12:32pm

JSquared2 I did not pressure the Shubert receptionist. I asked to speak to the House Manager, she declined to connect me and instead told me to tell her my concerns. I didn't get through them before being told to call Telecharge. Did you create your screen name today for the sole purpose to harass me? 

Updated On: 3/23/17 at 12:32 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#376HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/23/17 at 7:31pm

Stage Door Sally said: "JSquared2 I did not pressure the Shubert receptionist. I asked to speak to the House Manager, she declined to connect me and instead told me to tell her my concerns. I didn't get through them before being told to call Telecharge. Did you create your screen name today for the sole purpose to harass me? 

Sorry to hear that the Shubert Org. receptionist is a ... Jujamcyn would be more understanding to your needs.

Bring it up to Telecharge asao so you have piece of mind b4 attending the show. Btw, when are you seeing Dolly?

Just Ignore the rude JSquared2!!!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#377HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/23/17 at 8:17pm

theatregeek6 said: "MichelleCraig said: "Whizzer, I teared up reading your post  Thank you. This was the first Broadway show I ever saw...with Pearl Bailey. My mother is deep into the long goodbye now, but when I play the Pearl Bailey cast album for her, she smiles. We saw it together; Pearl and Cab Calloway were outstanding. 

"

Mine as well.  It was sublime, even though I was 10 - and hooked me for a life watching theatre.  I am anxious to see this new production---cannot wait.

"

On a personal note, I was sure I had enough DOLLY albums (Channing, Martin, Streisand, and, soon-to-come, Midler). That's a lot of OCRs and a soundtrack for a show that isn't really a favorite; but I downloaded the Bailey/Calloway recording on your recommendations. When I finished playing it, my almost-never-effusive husband exclaimed, "Damn, that was good!" Terrible sound quality in places, but great performances. (How nice to finally hear "It Only Takes a Moment" sung by a decent tenor.)

So thank you and others for that.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#378HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/23/17 at 8:25pm

Stage Door Sally said: "JSquared2 I did not pressure the Shubert receptionist. I asked to speak to the House Manager, she declined to connect me and instead told me to tell her my concerns. I didn't get through them before being told to call Telecharge. Did you create your screen name today for the sole purpose to harass me? 

"

Sally, it's my experience from years of box office and theater marketing work that the laws of customer service don't really apply to the theater. For the most part, a hit show is a unique product and people will buy tickets no matter how you treat them; on the other hand, if the public isn't interested in a show, no amount of gracious customer service will sell a single ticket.

This is a broad generalization, of course, and there are many theater workers who always treat patrons well. From their posts here, you can tell PThespian and Jane2 are consummate professionals and behave as such regardless of the size of the house.

But you should be aware that DOLLY is and will be (at least for a year) a MASSIVE hit, everyone involved is busier than usual, and tickets are flying off the shelf whether the receptionist is cordial or not. If you really want your questions answered in advance (and I don't blame you), you should expect to be very persistent. And try not to take it personally when you reach people who are anxious to hand you off to anybody else.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#379HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 12:34am

HELLO, DOLLY! Previews

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

MoveOnGypsy Profile Photo
MoveOnGypsy
#380HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 7:18am

Now, THAT'S a great picture. Thank you Robbie2!

I saw the show last Saturday and I cannot wait for the cast recording. The songs were so beautifully performed and the orchestrations were sublime. Gavin and Kate hit it out of the park and Ms. M...well, perfection! I can't believe I have to wait until June 13th to see it again.

Updated On: 3/24/17 at 07:18 AM

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#381HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 7:56am

Thanks everyone, I understand this is a busy time, a busy production. I'll deal with it no problem. I'm so giddy about this whole event, I'm tingling.  HELLO, DOLLY! Previews

kmac23 Profile Photo
kmac23
#382HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 11:26am

B.E.T.T.E.M.I.D.L.E.R

What a force. I feel like a cliche when I say "SHE WAS BORN TO PLAY THIS ROLE!" She had the audience in the palm of her hand the entire show. Her comedic timing is golden. The title song is literally a show-stopper -- standing ovation.  I could feel the audience radiating this cheerful buzz throughout the show!  Bette's voice is lower - she's not belting... nor should she. I can't fathom doing that 7xwk at 71 years old! Kate Baldwin & Gavin Creel are unbelievably charming  -- Creel captured my heart and ran with it! Just a real great old classic musical with beautiful costumes, sets, humour and heart. Incredible ensemble. SO MUCH TALENT.  What a joyful experience.  What else what else what else? Obviously the show is still in previews... I think if anything over time it will get cleaner in terms of fluidity and transitions. I felt that some of the accents needed a bit of work - I'm excited to see it again.

HELLO, DOLLY! Previews

HELLO, DOLLY! Previews

HELLO, DOLLY! Previews

HELLO, DOLLY! Previews

Updated On: 3/24/17 at 11:26 AM

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#383HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/25/17 at 1:04am

Did anyone else watch Friday evening's performance? During the big number of the second act ("Hello, Dolly!"HELLO, DOLLY! Previews, I wasn't sure if Bette just forgot the words or if she did that on purpose but she comically said "omg i'm too old to be doing this!" in the middle of her song. Of course we the audience gave her an applause and encouraged her to go on... and she continued to perform! At the end of the song, we gave her a standing ovation and you could see in her eyes how much she appreciated our support! :) 

jakebloke Profile Photo
jakebloke
#384HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/25/17 at 10:18am

I was there last night as well.  It seemed like a legitimate flub.  She said something like "oh what the hell is it?  Someone out there sing it....". AND being Bette Midler, the audience ate it up, which gave her a moment to get back.  Not too many people can break character after making a mistake and actually turn it into a great moment.  If it was done on purpose, it was executed brilliantly.  :)

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#385HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/25/17 at 10:32am

I sat next to a couple on the train last night who told me about it. They also said it seemed like a legit flub.

Just give the world Love.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#386HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/25/17 at 11:44am

jakebloke said: "I was there last night as well.  It seemed like a legitimate flub.  She said something like "oh what the hell is it?  Someone out there sing it....". AND being Bette Midler, the audience ate it up, which gave her a moment to get back.  Not too many people can break character after making a mistake and actually turn it into a great moment.  If it was done on purpose, it was executed brilliantly.  :)"

You're right! That's what she said first and then thereafter made a comment that she's too old still be doing this (which made me laugh!) I agree the fact that I (and others) couldn't tell if it was a flub or done on purpose meant that Bette definitely executed it well! :)

I'm so glad I got to see this show. I watched the movie when I was a kid in the 90s but now just have started watching youtube videos of different productions and found this one from the 1968 Tony's. The choreography in "Put on your Sunday Clothes" look similar to this production and made me wonder if this revival's choreography was similar to the original back in 1964.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#387HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/25/17 at 1:17pm

Yes, it is. Here's Pearl's "Before the Parade Passes By":

RagtimeRay
#388HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/25/17 at 4:28pm

Yes, the choreography for the Pearl Bailey company was essentially the original Gower Champion choreography. Sets and costumes remained the same. I had the pleasure to see Pearl Bailey do Dolly twice. This video brings back so many fond memories.

Ray is the author of the Brad Frame mystery series, and two suspense novels. He is also the author of a one man play based on Ben Franklin. http://www.rayflynt.com

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#389HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/25/17 at 11:06pm

RagtimeRay said: "Yes, the choreography for the Pearl Bailey company was essentially the original Gower Champion choreography. Sets and costumes remained the same. I had the pleasure to see Pearl Bailey do Dolly twice. This video brings back so many fond memories."

I'm actually curious to see the sets for this show.The original ones, by Oliver Smith, are almost iconic now, so it should be interesting to see how they're approached this time around. I'm just hoping theyre not as big a disappointment as FOLLIES revival were.

http://docandraider.com

RagtimeRay
#390HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/26/17 at 8:39am

Yes, I'm equally curious about the sets for this new production of Dolly. In the one official photograph, showing the title number, it certainly looked like the Harmonia Gardens set echoed the original Oliver Smith design.

Can anyone who has seen the original and the new production comment on the sets and their differences? 

Ray is the author of the Brad Frame mystery series, and two suspense novels. He is also the author of a one man play based on Ben Franklin. http://www.rayflynt.com

JayG  2 Profile Photo
JayG 2
#391HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/26/17 at 9:18am

Does anyone know if the powers that be at Dolly will be restoring the original ending to the Waiters" Gallop. What they have now is okay, serviceable, but it does not build to an exciting end as it should. I would think someone would have noticed the flaw. The original ending with the synchronized jumps was thrilling.

JAS Profile Photo
JAS
#392HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/26/17 at 11:52am

The Harmonia Gardens set is lovely, but it cramps the stage and makes the Waiters' Gallop a bit of a disappointment for me. It seemed too careful.  The dancers couldn't break out the way they should.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#393HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/26/17 at 11:59am

JayG 2 said: "Does anyone know if the powers that be at Dolly will be restoring the original ending to the Waiters" Gallop. What they have now is okay, serviceable, but it does not build to an exciting end as it should. I would think someone would have noticed the flaw. The original ending with the synchronized jumps was thrilling.

"

those jumps at the end of the Waiters' Gallop are gone? Ugh!

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

BwayMonkey
#394HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/26/17 at 12:29pm

I saw it last night and thought the Gallop was incredible. Out of curiosity I went on youtube to watch the original and I think what they've done in the revival is far more athletic and danced. It seemed like the original was more of a comedy number for gags.

The show was spectacular! One of my favorite evenings in the theatre. Just joyous!

Updated On: 3/26/17 at 12:29 PM

JayG  2 Profile Photo
JayG 2
#395HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/26/17 at 12:36pm

The Waiters' Gallop is absolutely a comedy number. Every second of it should be fun and funny The props, the speed, the skewer fights. That's the point of the number. While it was good, it did not crescendo. Sorry. Other than that disappointment (and it could use a few more chorus members to fill the stage), the show was terrific.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#396HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/26/17 at 12:45pm

Was the huge stack of plates during the waiter's gallop in the original? At one point I really thought it was going to fall on the folks in the front row!

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#397HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/26/17 at 12:52pm

The show has a company at 42 people! I don't think they could fit more people on the stage if they wanted to.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

BwayMonkey
#398HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/26/17 at 1:03pm

Oh I completely agree with you about it needing to be funny. I'm just saying the original seemed less of a 'dance' number and more all about the gags with stylized movement. This version, while having some of those similar moments, left me wowed by the skills of those men. I squealed when they toetouched off the carts and leapt over the pit!

The whole ensemble has so much talent. To sound like that and then to be able to dance on top of it.

Dollypop
#399HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/26/17 at 1:47pm

Not only do I miss the synchronized leaps at the end of "The Waiters' Gallop" but the original orchestration as well.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Videos