pixeltracker

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews- Page 17

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews

Theatrefanboy1
#400CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 6/26/24 at 10:23am

I understood they’d be announcing the actor to succeed Eddie in the next 10-14 days(“mid-July”). Apparently it’s a bigger name than Eddie.  My honest initial thought was it would be Timothee Chalamet for a run to Feb/March. But I have no idea. 

JasonC3
#401CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 6/26/24 at 1:19pm

Someone on the UK board says it is Adam Lambert:

https://theatreboard.co.uk/post/524698/thread
Updated On: 6/26/24 at 01:19 PM

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#402CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 6/26/24 at 1:58pm

JasonC3 said: "Someone on the UK board says it is Adam Lambert:

"

That would get me to go back.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#403CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 6/26/24 at 3:19pm

JasonC3 said: "Someone on the UK board says it is Adam Lambert:

"

So much for BIGGER than Eddie, but I'd see it.

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#404CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 6/26/24 at 6:13pm

Isn’t he touring with Queen until November?

persephone88
#405CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 6/26/24 at 7:24pm

I'd go see it again if Mason Alexander Park came over....

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#406CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 6/26/24 at 8:41pm

WldKingdomHM said: "Isn’t he touring with Queen until November?"

To my understanding, no. They toured until November of last year, this year they did five Japan shows in February and currently have no scheduled performances together. 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

tacotheatrelover Profile Photo
tacotheatrelover
#407CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 6/26/24 at 8:41pm

persephone88 said: "I'd go see it again if Mason Alexander Park came over...."

I still want Fra back.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#408CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 6/27/24 at 6:33pm

While it sounds like Adam Lambert is a done deal, Sweaty Oracle posted a less-substantiated rumor today that Auli'i Cravalho could be taking over as Sally. If true, I'm not surprised that they're going with 2 leads who have strong singing voices, since American audiences (and the public since the Tonys performance went viral) aren't entirely sold on the concept, and would probably be more satisfied if they could at least hear the songs sung really well. Mind you, I liked Eddie and Gayle both very much, but, from a business standpoint going forward, I understand taking it in that direction, once again, if true.

Updated On: 6/27/24 at 06:33 PM

windowwaving
#409CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 6/27/24 at 8:51pm

Not sure if this has been asked, so apologies if it has. But would it be a better experience to come in blind or should I watch the movie first? 

MemorableUserName
#410CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 6/27/24 at 9:26pm

The movie is very different; they changed the characters, the subplot, and some of the songs, so isn't necessary to understand the stage show. It's great in its own right, but it's own thing.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#411CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 6/28/24 at 1:37pm

windowwaving said: "Not sure if this has been asked, so apologies if it has. But would it be a better experience to come in blind or should I watch the movie first?"

Bob Fosse’s legendary 1972 film adaptation is enormously different from the stage play - cut characters and storylines, added characters and storylines, tons of cut songs and added songs, etc. Even the current revival has been heavily modified from the original 1966 Broadway production. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#412CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 6/28/24 at 4:12pm

TaffyDavenport said: "While it sounds like Adam Lambert is a done deal, Sweaty Oracle posted a less-substantiated rumor todaythat Auli'i Cravalho could be taking over as Sally. If true, I'm not surprised that they're going with 2 leads who have strong singing voices, since American audiences(and the public since the Tonys performance went viral) aren't entirely sold on the concept, and wouldprobably be more satisfied if they could at leasthear the songs sung really well. Mind you, I liked Eddie and Gayle both very much, but, from a business standpoint going forward, I understand taking itin that direction, once again,iftrue."

I had no issues with Redmayne and Rankin’s singing- it was the conception of the characters and numbers that stood in the way for me. It seems like Redmayne’s affectations are his own idiosyncratic take on the Emcee, however, so it’ll be nice to see somebody else take it on (though Lambert feels like an odd choice- this isn’t really a vocally showy role).

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

binau Profile Photo
binau
#413CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 6/28/24 at 4:16pm

I'll admit it, if Adam Lambert is on when Gypsy opens I'll go back and I wouldn't have said that yesterday. I have a funny feeling that if he isn't shackled by the direction he might be able to get some charisma back in that role. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Videos