pixeltracker

Unpopular opinions you hold- Page 18

Unpopular opinions you hold

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#425Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 3/25/13 at 7:37pm

@DEClarke - TRIASSIC PARQ was sadly too-unseen by most of us to consider that an unpopular opinion... I had the great fortune, like yourself, of seeing that ridiculous little gem at the SoHo Playhouse this summer and thoroughly enjoyed myself to no end. So don't think that's an unpopular opinion, just a (sadly) under-represented one!

Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#426Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 3/25/13 at 10:04pm

When it first opened, I thought WICKED was the biggest piece of overblown crap on stage.

Now... not quite the biggest. I've actually become rather fond of the show, for all its pretentiousness (People applauding "Defying Gravity"? Huh? It's a woman on a lift with about three thousand yards of black cotton!). And I'm so glad Disney didnt get its greasy little hands on it.

Now, as to the topic at hand? SPRING AWAKENING SUCKS. Bigger time than you could possible imagine.

http://docandraider.com

egghumor Profile Photo
egghumor
#427Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 3/25/13 at 10:11pm

I dig Christina Aguilera's "Dirrty," and the video that goes with it.

DEClarke Profile Photo
DEClarke
#428Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 3/26/13 at 1:04pm

@DEClarke - TRIASSIC PARQ was sadly too-unseen by most of us to consider that an unpopular opinion... I had the great fortune, like yourself, of seeing that ridiculous little gem at the SoHo Playhouse this summer and thoroughly enjoyed myself to no end. So don't think that's an unpopular opinion, just a (sadly) under-represented one!

YAY! This made my day!

nycsonya Profile Photo
nycsonya
#429Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 3/26/13 at 5:20pm

This is such a great thread!
Not sure if someone already said these cause I just skipped to the end of the thread but:
I think John C. Reilly's rendition of Mr. Cellophane is better than anyone else's.
I hate hate HATE Alan Cumming, especially in Cabaret. Ugh, he is so slimy and unattractive.
Phantom of the Opera is incredibly overexposed and ridiculous.
Andrew Lloyd Webber writes roughly five melodies per show and rehashes them again and again, which bothers me incessantly.
(Not sure how unpopular this one is but) Stephen Sondheim is one of the most brilliant writers in the world.

all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
#430Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 3/26/13 at 5:24pm

Your last opinion isn't unpopular AT ALL, specially in this boards where he is considered the ultimate absolute, unparalleled king of musical theatre.

nycsonya Profile Photo
nycsonya
#431Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 3/26/13 at 5:33pm

@ all that jazz
yeah i know but now that i'm actually going through the board there seems to be a ridiculous amount of sondheim-hate
also now that i'm thinking about it i've got some other opinions:
lynne thigpen should have won a tony for tintypes
while I love Patti as a performer, I think her diva attitude is ridiculous
while I understand why people would like Rent, i find every character obnoxious (and One Song Glory makes me want to iron my face)
john larroquette completely robbed rory o'malley at the tony's

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#432Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 3/26/13 at 6:15pm

The Book of Mormon and The Producers were not good.
Wicked should have won Best Musical.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

bwayalltheway
#433Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 3/27/13 at 11:01am

-Bonnie and Clyde remains one of my favorite theatergoing experiences.
-Rannells deserved the Tony.
-Being a fan of the original, I really enjoyed the bare revisal.
-South Pacific is a bore.
-Not sure how unpopular this is, but Chicago was one of the most torturous nights I've ever had.
-Jeremy Jordan has an incredible voice.
-Bernadette Peters is an incredible actress and singer, and was an excellent Sally.

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#434Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 3/27/13 at 11:14am

1) I'm not Sondheim obsessed and...
2) I prefer the movie version of Bye Bye Birdie over the Broadway version.

Glad I got that off my chest.

Playbilly Profile Photo
Playbilly
#435Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 3/27/13 at 11:19am

Prefer the HAIR movie to the stage play. Especially the recent revival.

"Through The Sacrifice You Made, We Can't Believe The Price You Paid..For Love!"

DEClarke Profile Photo
DEClarke
#436Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 3/27/13 at 3:20pm

-South Pacific is a bore.
-Not sure how unpopular this is, but Chicago was one of the most torturous nights I've ever had.

I concur on both!

I'll add:

I much prefer the film CHICAGO to the stage version...

all that jazz
#437Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 3/27/13 at 3:32pm

I prefer Kander and Ebb to Sondheim.

I think Ann Reinking is one the most brilliant performers in the history of Broadway, and deserves way more recognition than what she gets.

boywonder12
#438Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 3/27/13 at 5:12pm

Rachel Potter couldn't have been more miscast in the EVITA revival

Emma White Profile Photo
Emma White
#439Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 3/27/13 at 10:17pm

"Bernadette Peters is an incredible actress and singer, and was an excellent Sally."

Hallelujah.

I like Kander and Ebb sometimes... but they're hit or miss. I don't think they're better than Sondheim because Sondheim has more good shows then them.

"Nice is different than good."

all that jazz
#440Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 3/27/13 at 10:38pm

I don't know if their actually better than Sondheim, they just happen to have written most of my favorite songs, Cabaret, Maybe this time, Ring them bells, New York New York, Kiss of the Spider Woman, my screen name... Sondheim has more overall better shows, but to me they have the best songs.

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#441Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 3/30/13 at 12:06am

As a composer, Stephen Sondheim is a brilliant lyricist.

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#442Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 3/30/13 at 12:33pm

I saw Alice Ripley play Diana in May 2009 and it was the most brilliant performance I've ever seen. I saw her again several times after she won the Tony and couldn't help feeling like she'd stopped trying.

I love Sondheim but just cannot warm up to Into the Woods.

I saw Annie for the sole purpose of seeing Brynn O'Malley and was massively disappointed that she's playing Grace as a prissy bitch.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#443Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 3/30/13 at 8:04pm

Add me to the chorus of people who thinks that Sondheim is a brilliant lyricist but (with the exception of some gems) can't get into his compositions at all.

And I guess to double negative the "unpopular" opinion, I still think Sutton Foster is everything I could ever want in a musical theatre performer.

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#444Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 3/30/13 at 9:30pm

I'm one of those people who, though it would never happen, thinks that maybe there should be a show with a competent librettist, Sondheim on lyrics, and ALW on music.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

all that jazz
#445Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 3/30/13 at 10:09pm

^I'm obsessed with that idea!!! I've always dreamed of a collaboration between ALW and Sondheim. Cameron should produce and Hal should direct. James Lapine could write the book. That'd be the most legendary show ever!!!

Younger Brother Profile Photo
Younger Brother
#446Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 3/31/13 at 12:10pm

A few more of mine

- I have never seen Sherie Rene Scott look anything but bored on stage but I find her incredibly likeable in interviews

- I thought Elena Roger was thrilling as Evita and deserved a Tony nomination.

PTOPhan Profile Photo
PTOPhan
#447Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 3/31/13 at 1:52pm

I haven't read all the pages of this thread, but this may be VERY unpopular: I think the middle of "Les Miserables" is boring, between the love story of adult Cosette and Marius and a group of bland songs. I also think that the recent "Les Mis" movie improved a few aspects of the stage production. For one thing, the new song makes clear that JVJ really loves the child instead of spending all those years raising her out of a sense of duty. Also, the movie closes a plot hole by giving JVJ a good reason for leaving resolution of the dispute between Fantine and the other woman to his horny foreman -- JVJ sees Javert lurking around.

Another opinion that might be more popular on a Focus on the Family Board (God forbid I should EVER be caught on one of those) is that I don't much like bad language on stage, nor do I like excessive violence. I'm also not usually fond of stage productions or movies that are excessively enamored of -- how do I put this -- humor based on explicit sex. Yet, despite this last statement, I thought that the Hugh Jackman segment in "Movie 43," otherwise an excessively violent and unfunny movie, was absolutely hilarious.

You alone can make my song take flight.

Emma White Profile Photo
Emma White
#448Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 3/31/13 at 10:28pm

"And I guess to double negative the "unpopular" opinion, I still think Sutton Foster is everything I could ever want in a musical theatre performer."

My teeny-bopper is showing but I agree with this... My love for Sutton is undying. She can sing, she act, she can DANCE (not too common these days) and she is electric.

"Nice is different than good."

FlowerChild67
#449Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 4/1/13 at 4:13pm

I love Sutton Foster as well. She is my musical theatre idol. I can't even express how talented she is- she is an incredible singer, actor, and dancer.

Videos