pixeltracker

MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?- Page 18

MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#425MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 6/16/17 at 1:55am

When I heard that Pinkham was appearing in MFL at the Lyric, I first thought he was to be an unusually young Higgins and I was actually intrigued by the idea. 

ray-andallthatjazz, I share your opinion of Audrey in the film. People seem to praise her for being like a Barbie doll? She's just flat-out bad as Eliza in the early scenes. Part of the reason I much prefer the 1938 Pygmalion film. 

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#426MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 6/16/17 at 9:09am

"That doesn't have to be there if you don't want it to be. It's been a little while but I'm fairly sure there's nothing specific in Pygmalion or My Fair Lady in the text that suggests specifically romantic feelings."

Strongly disagree.

"I only know when he
Began to dance with me
I could have danced, danced, danced, 
All night"

"I've grown accustomed to her face
It almost makes the day begin"

These are some of the most famous romantic moments in musical theatre.

Eliza and Henry's romance in MY FAIR LADY remains merely implicit through much of the libretto.  
But it would be a mistake to call it either avoidable or unspecific.

The play is called Pygmalion.  
Pygmalion is a mythic sculptor who was not interested in love until he carves a woman out of ivory and falls madly in love with her.

There's a reason the play is called Pygmalion.

Moreover, if anything, Eliza and Henry's romance in the musical is far more realized than it is in the play.  Famously, smartly, though somewhat controversially (since Shaw left strict instructions that it be clear that in all future productions of the play it should remain absolutely clear that Eliza does not remain in Henry's life), in My Fair Lady we are blissfully left with the impression that she remains a very important part of his life.  

And given that we know how deeply they feel about each other (from the lyrics we hear them share with us, the audience, alone), it is almost inescapable that there attachment post-curtain would be consummately romantic.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#427MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 6/16/17 at 9:28am

Scarywarhol said: "When I heard that Pinkham was appearing in MFL at the Lyric, I first thought he was to be an unusually young Higgins and I was actually intrigued by the idea."

Pinkham would actually be a fantastic Higgins, but wouldn't it be kind of a waste of that voice?

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Greenfinch4
#428MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 6/16/17 at 10:35am

A few video excerpts from the Lyric production! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXONn-tMs5g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7mScXlARFA

O'Hare is really stunning

VintageSnarker
#429MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 6/16/17 at 11:02am

GeorgeandDot said: "I don't think that she would read too old.  There isn't really any actual reference to her age in the script as far as I can remember and in the Vivian B., she'll look like she's in her twenties.  She's a beautiful woman with a brilliant comedic gift and a lovely singing voice.  She's perfect.

Laura is fantastic and gorgeous but she does not look like she's in her 20's. Especially not at the Vivian Beaumont where in the first few rows for The King and I, you were close enough to touch the actors... not that you would. I don't understand why you would say that of the Vivian Beaumont of all theaters. It would be like Carmen Cusack in those Bright Star flashbacks... except for the whole show. 

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#430MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 6/16/17 at 11:16am

Word on the street is that its Colin Firth and a young, unknown Eliza. 

The best Eliza I've seen is Joanna Riding in the RNT revival. She was in her thirties at the time and what was sacrificed in the youthful longing (in the first part of the show) of Eliza was made up for in shrewd wisdom in the second. I think Laura Benanti would probably bring a similar take to the character (and would likely be wonderful) but it seems counter to Sher's usual text-driven approach to scripts to cast an Eliza with an actress this old in the part, when the script expressly states that she is in her early 20s.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#431MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 6/16/17 at 11:33am

Word on the street is that its Colin Firth and a young, unknown Eliza. 

Heaven.  Pure heaven!

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#432MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 6/16/17 at 11:34am

An older Henry and a younger Eliza?
The "ick factor"?

I don't find a particular romantic pairing of an older man and a younger woman (or vice versa) icky.  And I certainly don't find a Colin Firth (for example) as Henry/younger actress as Eliza pairing icky.

What I find icky is when older man-younger woman romantic pairings are the rule rather than the exception and often for no apparent reason other than commercial Hollywood logic.

JIMG3
#433MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 6/16/17 at 4:23pm

Word on the street is wrong. Firth was offered the role and declined. 

MCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
#434MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 6/16/17 at 4:25pm

That's a pity. I would have loved to see Firth as Higgins. 

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#435MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 6/16/17 at 4:26pm

I wonder if it's Kevin Spacey.

JIMG3
#436MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 6/16/17 at 4:30pm

No, it's not Spacey. 

GeorgeandDot
#437MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 6/16/17 at 4:35pm

Kevin Kline?

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#438MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 6/16/17 at 4:54pm

^ I have a feeling this would soon become a list of all Broadway actors between the age of 45-75 :)

I know they have repeatedly said Laura Benanti is not going to be in it with all the talk of the production "going in a different direction", but she's suddenly a buzz word this week with Steve Martin play rumors, her being back on Colbert, and her co-hosting The Talk. Her agent and she are hard at work at raising her profile now that she's on the other side of her pregnancy. I wonder what this will lead to.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

CallMeAl2 Profile Photo
CallMeAl2
#439MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 6/16/17 at 4:56pm

If I had to cast it I would get Kenneth Branagh and Laura Benanti. Second choice, going a bit younger would be Ewan McGregor and Laura Osnes.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#440MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 6/16/17 at 4:57pm

PHILLIPA SOO

GeorgeandDot
#441MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 6/16/17 at 4:58pm

I really cannot imagine MFL without Laura Benanti.  Although Alexandra Silber would be fantastic and she already has some history with Sher.

Phillipa Soo is right for the role on paper, but I don't think that she's funny, like at all.  She's just so poised and her voice isn't quite what I would like to hear as Eliza.  I'm a big fan, but I don't think that she would be as good as maybe we think she would be.

Updated On: 6/16/17 at 04:58 PM

BroadwayConcierge
#442MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 6/16/17 at 5:03pm

Amélie was a train wreck, but it showed me that Soo absolutely has comedic chops. And her voice is exquisite.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#443MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 6/16/17 at 5:05pm

LAURA BENANTI

(anyone can do it, BC) (my Meryl is bigger than your Meryl)

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

GeorgeandDot
#444MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 6/16/17 at 5:06pm

I agree, BC that she can play quirky and can play a comedic role, but I don't remember her making me laugh at all.  I would like an Eliza with stronger comedic chops and while her voice is beautiful, she doesn't have as clear and classical a voice as some actresses.  I love her, but I'm not sure that I would love to see her in this.

Updated On: 6/16/17 at 05:06 PM

BroadwayConcierge
#445MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 6/16/17 at 5:07pm

Darn, I didn't anticipate bigger Meryls... I guess you win, Val MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?

Seriously, though, Benanti turns 38 next month. I adore her to pieces (I really, really do), but Eliza Doolittle has passed her by, in my opinion. (And for what it's worth, Phillipa Soo just turned 27.)

GeorgeandDot
#446MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 6/16/17 at 5:09pm

Look, if Audrey Hepburn can play the role on film at like 38, then Laura Benanti can play the role on stage at 38.

JIMG3
#447MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 6/16/17 at 5:10pm

CallMeAl2 said: "If I had to cast it I would get Kenneth Branagh and Laura Benanti. Second choice, going a bit younger would be Ewan McGregor and Laura Osnes.

I would like to see Branagh as Higgins as well. 

JIMG3
#448MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 6/16/17 at 5:10pm

Updated On: 6/16/17 at 05:10 PM

froote
#449MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 6/16/17 at 5:11pm

I think the difference is that Laura has a very mature face. You could have convinced me Audrey was in her late 20s when she did it, but I couldn't say the same of Laura now.

Videos