pixeltracker

RIEDEL: Spider-Man "The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History" SHOW is OFF.- Page 2

RIEDEL: Spider-Man "The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History" SHOW is OFF.

mybigsplash Profile Photo
mybigsplash
#25re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 1:22pm

"War Horse" has to be played in a thrust stage. It can't be adapted for the Hilton, there's too much that happens in the audience. The Vivian Beaumont is the ideal theatre. Also, Hilton is a little too big for War Horse, Even the Vivian Beumont is a little bigger than in west end.

Stephen: "Could you grab me a coffee?" Me: "Would you like that with all the colors of the wind?"
Updated On: 8/12/09 at 01:22 PM

Ed_Mottershead
#26re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 1:31pm

RE: Riedel's viciousness. Not to play the devil's advocate, but I think he is decrying the prominence of the physical aspects of a show when they are given more importance than the artistic merits of the piece itself. I, too, can understand where's he's coming from. Example from the far distant past: when it came out, one of the big selling points of Miss Saigon was the fact that it had a helicoptor on stage and, in fact, they charged more for seats that afforded the best vantage point to see the helicoptor. My thought, even before it opened, was, hey -- I can see a helicoptor any time I want by going to the local airport -- and it was a small airport, at that. It doesn't mean that special effects cannot enhance an already-worthy show but the bones and marrow of it should be the show itself. Chicago had a lavish production when done in 1975, but no one missed the sets when the pared down revival opened in 1996. And Riedel has been supportive of offbeat shows -- Fela! being an example that comes to mind.

BroadwayEd

beautywickedlover
#27re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 1:34pm

"War Horse" has to be played in a thrust stage. It can't be adapted for the Hilton, there's too much that happens in the audience. The Vivian Beaumont is the ideal theatre. Also, Hilton is a little too big for War Horse, Even the Vivian Beumont is a little bigger than in west end.'

I don't want them to close "South Pacific!"
Updated On: 8/12/09 at 01:34 PM

mybigsplash Profile Photo
mybigsplash
#28re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 1:37pm

Well, Thats why the suspicion is War Horse wont start on broadway until 2010-2011 because they are waiting for South Pacific to run its course.

Stephen: "Could you grab me a coffee?" Me: "Would you like that with all the colors of the wind?"

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#29re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 2:03pm

I'll be happy to eat my words on this...but I sincerely doubt that Lincoln Center (a not for profit organization) would take part in a commercial transfer of ?War Horse.? I can?t think of a single play or musical that transferred to, and did not originate at, the Vivian Beaumont.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#30re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 2:06pm

Wasn't The Coast of Utopia a transfer?

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#31re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 2:19pm

No...it was the New York Premiere and a new production. The National production in London was directed by Trevor Nunn and consisted of an entirely different cast (including Eve Best). Here in the states, we had a revised version of the play, new cast, and new director (Jack O'Brien).
Updated On: 8/12/09 at 02:19 PM

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#32re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 2:29pm

Wow, if this is definitely true, what a terrible thing. It is a shame that such a large-scale production that many looked forward to might not end up playing on Broadway.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Ed_Mottershead
#33re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 2:34pm

Actually, Coast was generally more well received in New York than in London. The London notices weren't bad, but not the almost-unanimous love letters that greeted the New York production.

BroadwayEd

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#34re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 2:38pm

How could a show cost $45 million dollars? That is incredibly hard to believe. If a show is that much money it must be amazing. If a show like In The Heights costs $10 and that has a good size cast, big set, lights, and other stuff then this must be huge.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#35re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 2:56pm

Well I guess when you consider all the renovations necessary to the theater and all the marquee names involved it can add up.

....but the world goes 'round

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#36re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 3:04pm

That's the part that I think sucks about the canceling of this show. Now we'll never know what a $45 million show directed by Julie Taymor would have looked like and I honestly think it's a pity.
And it's SPIDERMAN. Did anyone go see the SPIDERMAN films for the story? Maybe. But most of the people were there for the special effects. I was thinking about this show like a CIRQUE DU SOLEI experience rather than a musical, and it could have been good. I wonder what will happen with the Hilton.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

dramadude Profile Photo
dramadude
#37re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 3:08pm

Well the scenery for "In The Heights" is relatively simple in comparison to a show of this magnitude. "Wicked" cost upwards of $14 million, but took only 14 months to recoup.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#38re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 3:16pm

Riedel may be onto something with his suggestion that the show would be more appropriate for Las Vegas. Wonder if we will see it set up there in a few years. (Vegas is NOT a theatre town. They like spectacle shows with little or no substance.)

Funny the producers are just now realizing that the show would likely never be profitable. Show's costing upwards of $10 million don't have much of a chance of recouping in this economy. BWW peopel figured that out right after teh show was announced!

This age of "My show cost the most to produce" has got to end.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#39re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 3:20pm

"Well the scenery for "In The Heights" is relatively simple in comparison to a show of this magnitude. "Wicked" cost upwards of $14 million, but took only 14 months to recoup."

Still if Wicked costs $14 that is incredibly cheap compared to Spiderman.

NakedMaid Profile Photo
NakedMaid
#40re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 4:08pm

Wouldn't Leo Bloom be able to explain better than Maxie B?

broadwayguy2
#41re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 4:34pm

Maybe, but Julie Taymor would confuse them both to all hell.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#42re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 4:46pm

Wicked also had a huge advance. I imagine In the Heights had little to none. Most of its success at the box office came after the reviews and Tony wins. I'm wondering what Spiderman's advance is. I can't imagine it's huge.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#43re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 5:01pm

Was Shawn King officially attached to star? I remember the rumours but were they true?

BwayBoundJoe Profile Photo
BwayBoundJoe
#44re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 5:20pm

Sad for those involved. My question is, did they officially start selling tickets yet? I thought I read that somewhere.

Formally Stews_Bitch::: Shows in the 2010 Season for me. 101 Dalmations tour - Jan 24th, Xanadu Tour - Mar 9th and 10th, Wicked - May 14th, Legally Blonde - June 12th:::::::Upcoming - South Pacific, Young Frankinstein (Two Cities) Rock of Ages (Two Cities) Shrek (3 Cities) Les Mis, DreamGirls, Spring Awakening, Color Purple, and 9 to 5!

BroadwayGuy12 Profile Photo
BroadwayGuy12
#45re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 5:30pm

BwayBoundJoe, they had started a pre-sale for American Express cardholders in June, while tix for the general public were set to go on sale on Halloween.

Jonwo
#46re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 5:40pm

IIRC The 1994 Production of Carousel was a transfer from the National Theatre which was co-produced by Lincoln Centre so if War Horse does transfer to Broadway then I think it may end up at the Vivian Beaumount and be a co-production.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#47re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 6:09pm

Riedel may be onto something with his suggestion that the show would be more appropriate for Las Vegas.

Well, it was a no brainer. We all thought that from the beginning.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

FindingNamo
#48re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 8:14pm

The problem is, Vegas is a Cirque city not a Taymor town. To swing it in Vegas, the producers would have to ditch the puppeteer and bring in our friends from Montreal with their investor money from Dubai. But gambling was down 15% in Vegas in June, so they might even be wary of such a pricey show.

If the whole things is dead in the water, Bono and Edge have their very own Lifehouse, since Larry and Adam want nothing to do with the material as U2.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#49re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 9:14pm

I passed the theater today and still no work. The signs beneath the marquee is up, but still no marquee. re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History' What a disappointment if they really didn't continue on.

Videos