pixeltracker

Disney on Broadway... What's next?- Page 2

Disney on Broadway... What's next?

BDrischBDemented
#25re: Disney on Broadway... What's next?
Posted: 10/27/09 at 3:43am

I can't remember where I saw this online or if I'm actually coming up with this stuff on my own, but I think somewhere someone suggested that "Call Me a Princess" could be sung mockingly about Jasmine by her potential suitors as opposed to by her (which I agree, totally wouldn't work). I'm not sure if it being sung about her would fly either, but it's kind of interesting to consider.

"Your lyrics lack subtlety! You can't just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!"
Updated On: 10/27/09 at 03:43 AM

jonmbway4652 Profile Photo
jonmbway4652
#26re: Disney on Broadway... What's next?
Posted: 10/27/09 at 9:34am

they could have her sing it then have a reprise with the mockery somewhere later in the show

benny123 Profile Photo
benny123
#27re: Disney on Broadway... What's next?
Posted: 10/27/09 at 10:26am

I also think Aladdin and Hercules would be fab.
I have always thought that 'Mulan' would be amazing on Broadway... the set and costumes could be stunning!

MusicAndPassion Profile Photo
MusicAndPassion
#28re: Disney on Broadway... What's next?
Posted: 10/27/09 at 10:48am

With the right production team, I think that Aladdin, Pocahontas or Mulan can be staged beautifully and artistic enough to satisfy intellectual theatre-goers, the common theatre crowd, tourists and Disney fanatics.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#29re: Disney on Broadway... What's next?
Posted: 10/27/09 at 10:56am

"I have always thought that 'Mulan' would be amazing on Broadway... the set and costumes could be stunning!"

Yes, but it would close in a week because nobody cares about MULAN. If THE LITTLE MERMAID, one of Disney's most bankable titles couldn't stay open (granted it was a mediocre attempt at a stage show) than an entirely subpar property like MULAN has no chance at all of staying open.

saveusmike Profile Photo
saveusmike
#30re: Disney on Broadway... What's next?
Posted: 10/27/09 at 11:08am

forget alladin and hunchback.

I want nightmare before chrsitmas the musical.

"Everything in life, is only for now" -Avenue Q

HollyGolightly2 Profile Photo
HollyGolightly2
#31re: Disney on Broadway... What's next?
Posted: 10/27/09 at 11:29am

I heard that Toy Story is in the works.

Toy Story the Musical opened last year on the Disney Wonder cruise ship.

It's... Cute... But I really don't see Toy Story working on Broadway. The story and characters just don't translate well to the stage.

HollyGolightly2
#32re: Disney on Broadway... What's next?
Posted: 10/27/09 at 11:29am

Double post... Sorry, not sure how that happened.
Updated On: 10/27/09 at 11:29 AM

Gobstopper Profile Photo
Gobstopper
#33re: Disney on Broadway... What's next?
Posted: 10/27/09 at 2:32pm

I agree with saveusmike!

NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS would be stunning and its score is phenomenal. It could be absolutely incredible if staged properly (by somebody like... I don't know... me?).

AND Disney owns the rights.

hmpeterson Profile Photo
hmpeterson
#34re: Disney on Broadway... What's next?
Posted: 10/27/09 at 2:34pm

How about a classic like Snow White?

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#35re: Disney on Broadway... What's next?
Posted: 10/27/09 at 2:40pm

I watched parts of Tarzan on a certain website and thought it was really cool.

I personally think they should do NEWSIES.

Also Mulan would be beautiful. And why not do a show that not everyone know like the air that they breathe. I think the biggest problem with TLM was that we are so used to the movie and it is so ingrained in our minds that when we saw what they did to change it we rejected it. BATB suceeded because is was the exact movie but on stage.

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

BroadwayBound115 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound115
#36re: Disney on Broadway... What's next?
Posted: 10/27/09 at 2:40pm

Snow White would be very nice, as would a full length Cinderella, Hunchback, Hercules and Mulan. One movie of Disney, I would really like to see musicalized would be The Parent Trap, not the Lindsay Lohan version, the 1961 version.

bluebonnets
#37re: Disney on Broadway... What's next?
Posted: 10/27/09 at 2:45pm

I realise this isn't Disney, but HoND has been made into a musical (more than once iirc). One version that comes to mind is the French-Canadian one; I never saw it live, but I have the soundtrack (in French and in English) and have seen clips, and it seemed like it was very well done.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notre-Dame_de_Paris_(musical)

I'm sure Disney could easily adapt HoND for the stage.

Edna Turnblad Profile Photo
Edna Turnblad
#38re: Disney on Broadway... What's next?
Posted: 10/27/09 at 2:50pm

In an interview a while back, I think with playbillradio, someone said a stage version of NEWSIES was in the works. I would love to see this happen, my friend would die if it happened because she loves the movie.
I think that BEDKNOBS AND BROOMSTICKS would be marvelous. Am I the only one? Right after I saw it I thought it would be wonderful onstage. Remove the soccer scene and replace it with the original song that was supposed to be there, do a little tweaking here and there and it would be amazing. (And it would have the wow factor Disney looks for.)

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#39re: Disney on Broadway... What's next?
Posted: 10/27/09 at 3:18pm

I enjoy Aladdin, but there is something about it that seems to "Disney" about it. I think we should leave it in LA at Disneyland. Tarzan and The Little Mermaid seemed too "Disney" as well. They were Disney movies turned into stage productions. Alan Menken, and others who worked on the film of Beauty And The Beast said they were writing a full Broadway show, but it just happened to be a cartoon. Frank Rich even call the film the "best musical on Broadway" in his review.

Hercules, and Hunchback have a story that you could take anyone to. If you staged Hercules in the form of classic Greek Tragedy, and you took ideas from the Greeks it could be really interesting.

Hunchback proved it could work in Berlin. I think it would be amazing in North America. I actually saw a stage adaptation a few years ago at the Stratford Festival, and the story worked well on stage. (I know, there a plot differences between film vs. play. novel).

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#40re: Disney on Broadway... What's next?
Posted: 10/27/09 at 4:09pm

As long as they didn't use the original set design from Berlin, I think Hunchback would be great on Broadway.

With all the controversy during the film's release, I don't see Pocahontas on Broadway any time soon (though I know there was a German children's production using the original score with some added songs). It quickly joined the ranks of the PC police's most wanted list along with Song of the South.

I would LOVE to hear the Hercules score on Broadway, but unless they find some really inventive ways to stage the show (like Taymor's success with Lion King), it will be another Shrek or Little Mermaid and most likely fall flat. Not to mention the book would seriously need some work. To much of the film relies on lengthy action sequences.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Patty3
#41re: Disney on Broadway... What's next?
Posted: 10/27/09 at 4:17pm

I agree with Bedknobs and Broomsticks - I think I posted that in another Disney thread on the board. It has always been one of my favorite Disney movies. I can almost visualize how some scenes would translate to the stage. I wish Angela Lansbury could recreate her movie role.

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#42re: Disney on Broadway... What's next?
Posted: 10/27/09 at 5:25pm

Come guys, Disney will never top Beauty and Lion King, so be foolish if they tried to make another musical?

SporkGoddess
#43re: Disney on Broadway... What's next?
Posted: 10/27/09 at 5:44pm

I just listened to Call me a Princess and, yeah, it really doesn't work for the final version of Jasmine as seen in the movie.

Forget Disney, I want Anastasia on Broadway!

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Gobstopper Profile Photo
Gobstopper
#44re: Disney on Broadway... What's next?
Posted: 10/27/09 at 6:54pm

After NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, my second choice would be HOCUS POCUS. I know the movie was kind of a flop theatrically, but it has become such a cult classic amongst my generation through video, dvd, and frequent television airings. It's very funny and it already has solid songs to build from (the song Sarah Jessica Parker sings is haunting and really pretty).

Gobstopper Profile Photo
Gobstopper
#45re: Disney on Broadway... What's next?
Posted: 10/27/09 at 6:54pm

After NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, my second choice would be HOCUS POCUS. I know the movie was kind of a flop theatrically, but it has become such a cult classic amongst my generation through video, dvd, and frequent television airings. It's very funny and it already has solid songs to build from (the song Sarah Jessica Parker sings is haunting and really pretty).

HollyGolightly2
#46re: Disney on Broadway... What's next?
Posted: 10/27/09 at 8:09pm

As long as they didn't use the original set design from Berlin, I think Hunchback would be great on Broadway.

I misread that as saying it would be good as long as they DID use it, and I was about to politely disagree. On Broadway, I'd like to see something a little more lavish, with a little less projections and abstract shapes. As much as I love the performances in Der Glockner (and I guess the costumes were all right, too), I never much warmed up to the abstractness and modern vibe the set had.

Updated On: 10/27/09 at 08:09 PM

musicalbluemirror Profile Photo
musicalbluemirror
#47re: Disney on Broadway... What's next?
Posted: 10/27/09 at 8:43pm

JRybka & Edna, Newsies is happening
i know a workshop is happening in the next year or so

Dshar
#48re: Disney on Broadway... What's next?
Posted: 10/27/09 at 8:46pm

Mulan or Pocahantas

KirbyCat
#49re: Disney on Broadway... What's next?
Posted: 10/27/09 at 9:04pm

Always praying for Hunchback... such a gorgeous score.

Videos