pixeltracker

Will Ragtime Really Close on JAN 10th???- Page 2

Will Ragtime Really Close on JAN 10th???

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#25re: Will Ragtime Really Close on JAN 10th???
Posted: 12/31/09 at 10:41pm

oops: got my rumors messed up.

But the message is the same:
Be patient, young ones. We will know soon.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Updated On: 12/31/09 at 10:41 PM

onedaymore Profile Photo
onedaymore
#26re: Will Ragtime Really Close on JAN 10th???
Posted: 12/31/09 at 10:50pm

(pff...if you ask me, that s*** doesn't deserve to take the spot that Ragtime was forced out of, if what dramamama says is true)

^^ my .2 cents worth :)

Whoever says money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to shop. - Bo Derek
Updated On: 12/31/09 at 10:50 PM

Dagobert Profile Photo
Dagobert
#27re: Will Ragtime Really Close on JAN 10th???
Posted: 1/1/10 at 11:36am

"^^Does anyone know of an upcoming show that wants to move in to the Neil Simon?"

..I believe there are clues...going around and around.

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#28re: Will Ragtime Really Close on JAN 10th???
Posted: 1/1/10 at 11:43am

But the shows that are rumored to go in (Fences/Love Never Dies) don't go in until the Spring/Fall so that wouldn't cause them to be kicked out now. And besides those two shows I don't think there is anything else without a theater at the moment...

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#29re: Will Ragtime Really Close on JAN 10th???
Posted: 1/1/10 at 11:48am

Fences has a theatre and it is not the Neil Simon.

Here's the New York Times Arts Beat blog on the subject.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/12/29/theater-guessing-game/

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

RoslynReynolds
#30re: Will Ragtime Really Close on JAN 10th???
Posted: 1/1/10 at 12:30pm

Look for the Orphans' Home Cycle to take the Neil Simon
after the uppity Ragtime is booted out.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#31re: Will Ragtime Really Close on JAN 10th???
Posted: 1/1/10 at 12:52pm

This notion that Ragtime was "evicted" and would have continued on if only another show wasn't coming into the Neil Simon is getting tired. In the weeks following opening, Ragtime had to have lost money every week. Even in a nine-performance holiday week, its producer admits it underperformed. They were facing a precipitous fall-off in January and the closing was an inevitability. This notion that it was suddenly going to rally in the dead of January if only some other big bad show wasn't kicking them out is a pipe dream.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#32re: Will Ragtime Really Close on JAN 10th???
Posted: 1/1/10 at 1:55pm

Didn't Riedel say that Orphans' Home Cycle would be too expensive/not financially smart to bring to Broadway? I haven't seen it, so I don't know if that's true - but is it still a contender?

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#33re: Will Ragtime Really Close on JAN 10th???
Posted: 1/1/10 at 2:02pm

If this would be a ploy, the actors wouldn't necessarily should have to know about this, AND if they knew, they wouldn't be telling people about it at the stage door.
I wish this show would remain open, It's always awful to see people losing their jobs. But oh well, some other musical will open and employ a lot of new talent.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#34re: Will Ragtime Really Close on JAN 10th???
Posted: 1/1/10 at 2:02pm

I think he meant it would not be financially smart to bring it to a smaller theater like the Golden.
I believe a bigger theater like the Simon is still an option.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#35re: Will Ragtime Really Close on JAN 10th???
Posted: 1/3/10 at 12:47pm

For those wondering, Peter Marks in today's Washington Post says the weekly running cost for Ragtime was $550,000. (That figure always varies a bit if a show is advertising more in a particular week - say two weeks of a television ad, etc).
Washington Post - Peter Marks on Ragtime's closing

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#36re: Will Ragtime Really Close on JAN 10th???
Posted: 1/6/10 at 4:46pm

And now news of another show that didn't evict Ragtime...
Orphans' Home Cycle for Broadway in the fall

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#37re: Will Ragtime Really Close on JAN 10th???
Posted: 1/6/10 at 4:57pm

This is really odd...wasn't the word that some show was loading in?

MusicSnob1 Profile Photo
MusicSnob1
#38re: Will Ragtime Really Close on JAN 10th???
Posted: 1/6/10 at 5:28pm

Do you ALWAYS believe "the word"?

When I think about you, I touch myself.

TechEverlasting Profile Photo
TechEverlasting
#39re: Will Ragtime Really Close on JAN 10th???
Posted: 1/6/10 at 5:29pm

Yes, Ragtime is really closing this Sunday. If they try to do a performance on Tuesday the 12th it's going to be a really stripped down minimalist concept, because most of the sound gear, scenery and props is being loaded out on Monday the 11th.

I've heard a rumor that Finian's Rainbow got some additional capital and is going to transfer to the Neil Simon. This makes no sense at all to me, so it could very well be true.

"I have got to have some professional music!" - Big Edie
Updated On: 1/6/10 at 05:29 PM

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#40re: Will Ragtime Really Close on JAN 10th???
Posted: 1/6/10 at 7:36pm

While I would be thrilled if Finian's pulled a surprise transfer to the Neil Simon, I would also be SHOCKED. The Neil Simon only has 326 fewer seats than the St. James, and Finian's wasn't really selling a ton, if any, seats in the balcony before. The capacity is about the same...

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#41re: Will Ragtime Really Close on JAN 10th???
Posted: 1/7/10 at 12:56am

kudos to Finian's if they are indeed moving, but do they really think they'll do much better at the Neil Simon?? Probably not.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Videos