pixeltracker

He's Charlie! Lin-Manuel Miranda to Star in Encores! MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG- Page 2

He's Charlie! Lin-Manuel Miranda to Star in Encores! MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG

iluvtheatertrash
#25He's Charlie! Lin-Manuel Miranda to Star in Encores! MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG
Posted: 11/1/11 at 12:06am

Baritone and ABB, I could not agree more. A part of me liked certain moments of "IN THE HEIGHTS" but the way he behaves turned me off quite a bit. I just don't care for the guy and really have no interest in seeing him perform again.

I love MERRILY... but I might skip this. Nothing really too exciting cast-wise...

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#26He's Charlie! Lin-Manuel Miranda to Star in Encores! MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG
Posted: 11/1/11 at 12:21am

So, by that standard was it sad when Sondheim asked Bernadette Peters to play the Witch in Into the Woods as a favor? I mean, I love Stephen Sondheim and his work, but I don't see what makes it sad that he asked someone to play a role in his show. He's brilliant, but he isn't a god, regardless of what some may believe.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#27He's Charlie! Lin-Manuel Miranda to Star in Encores! MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG
Posted: 11/1/11 at 12:30am

And A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC, for that matter. But no I think it is slightly different because Bernadette Peters had already proven herself in SUNDAY.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#28He's Charlie! Lin-Manuel Miranda to Star in Encores! MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG
Posted: 11/1/11 at 12:36am

That's understandable, but I'm sure Miranda proved himself to Sondheim with both his work on In the Heights and the West Side Story revival. I mean, it's not as if Sondheim just called him up out of the blue- they have worked together in the past.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#29He's Charlie! Lin-Manuel Miranda to Star in Encores! MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG
Posted: 11/1/11 at 2:08am

Let's not forget Miranda's shoutout to Sunday in the Park With George in his Tony speech. He clearly has great respect for Sondheim, as most worthwhile talents in this industry do. Given Lin's accomplishments, it makes sense for the respect to be mutual.

I am not a huge In the Heights fan, but Miranda's writing and performance in that show did show promise and skill. I look forward to seeing what he does with this role (and with traditional Broadway singing). Maybe he'll be great, maybe he'll suck, but this is hardly a turn-off for me; it's a very surprising move involving a large name, and it only makes me more intrigued.

And I hope that, sometime afterwards, we'll get to see Miranda grow as a writer. Moments in In The Heights lead me to believe that he has more substance in him than we have seen so far.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#31He's Charlie! Lin-Manuel Miranda to Star in Encores! MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG
Posted: 11/1/11 at 10:17am

Love Lin, love the fit in every way. An unexpected treat to see him get this!

I was not going to get tickets having recently seen the show, but now I actually might.

Just did 2-19 matinee, 3d row center - can't wait!

Updated On: 11/1/11 at 10:17 AM

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#32He's Charlie! Lin-Manuel Miranda to Star in Encores! MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG
Posted: 11/1/11 at 11:05am

Ego or whatever, the Sondheim story sounds a bit self-congratulaiory, but my question is; People who say it's perfect casting, what are you basing this on? The guy has played one role which was basically himself. I think he's cute and talented but I don't see him as Charlie.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#33He's Charlie! Lin-Manuel Miranda to Star in Encores! MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG
Posted: 11/1/11 at 11:34am

Are people really worried about him rapping? Do you fear that perhaps he'll play it safe during rehearsals and then just go rogue in performance and bust it out?

henrikegerman
#34He's Charlie! Lin-Manuel Miranda to Star in Encores! MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG
Posted: 11/1/11 at 12:23pm

"People who say it's perfect casting, what are you basing this on? The guy has played one role which was basically himself. I think he's cute and talented but I don't see him as Charlie."

Charlie is precisely a cute, endearing, talented nice guy, loyal to a point, supportive. He's also witty, can be arch, doesn't take **** from anyone, and has to hold the audience in the palm of his hand.

That's why I think it's a perfect fit for Lin. The role is similar to his breakthrough role in key ways but different enough not to make the casting insipid. Which is what makes it perfection.

As for playing one role, what's your point? Every star, like Lin, who starts out identified with one specific role, has to have a second. Unless you are suggesting that "perfect casting" is synonymous with "typecasting," than the fact that Lin is associated with one role in no way defeats a different kind of role being right for him.

As to him playing himself in IN THE HEIGHTS, have you met him? I have, albeit briefly, and he doesn't strike me at all as the same person Usnavi is accept that they both seem like very cool people.

Even if you were right, does it matter? Many great artists made a great career playing themselves, one similar, or even one quite different personality, with minor variations. But that alone doesn't mean they were incapable of doing other things, and quite well.

broadwaybabywannabe Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe
#35He's Charlie! Lin-Manuel Miranda to Star in Encores! MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG
Posted: 11/1/11 at 12:41pm

Charlie! Charlie! Charlie!...blah blah blah...:)...the REAL story with this ENCORES! production is WHICH book are they using?...the original book and score that opened and closed on Broadway back in 1981, or the so-called revised 'official' version that George Furth re-wrote before he passed away?...i saw a one night only production of this so-called official vesion at UCLA a few years ago that i thought was GOD-AWFUL...Furth took out so much of the original backwards-in-time aspect to the book, while also taking out some of my favorite songs, including OUR TIME...and the HILLS OF TOMORROW...does anyone have any word on which version will be staged?...

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#36He's Charlie! Lin-Manuel Miranda to Star in Encores! MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG
Posted: 11/1/11 at 12:51pm

If you saw a production without "Our Time," that was some funny business on their part. "Our Time" has always been in the script.

broadwaybabywannabe Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe
#37He's Charlie! Lin-Manuel Miranda to Star in Encores! MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG
Posted: 11/1/11 at 1:18pm

Phyllis...you might be right about OUR TIME...i think what threw me off about the 2002 concert performance was the altered book and the change in songs to accomodate the revised book...THE HILLS OF TOMORROW did not open nor close the production, and the announcement by George Furth before the music started that this was the final and official new version of the book and song list got me very upset...i think i expected to hear the original broadway cast album song list...i actually would want to see and hear that orginal book and score done the way it was back in 1981...call me old-fashioned...

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#38He's Charlie! Lin-Manuel Miranda to Star in Encores! MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG
Posted: 11/1/11 at 1:23pm

It will be the revised version. Encores! didn't use the original scripts for FOLLIES nor NO, NO, NANETTE.

Also, Sondheim was supposedly pissed when the Donmar added back parts of the original version for their MERRILY, without his permission.

Updated On: 11/1/11 at 01:23 PM

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#39He's Charlie! Lin-Manuel Miranda to Star in Encores! MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG
Posted: 11/1/11 at 1:27pm

I've always heard that, of all the revised versions of the show, Sondheim most prefers the one from the York revival in 1994, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's the version they're using.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 11/1/11 at 01:27 PM

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#40He's Charlie! Lin-Manuel Miranda to Star in Encores! MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG
Posted: 11/1/11 at 1:29pm

I hear Lin will be opening the show with a rap version of "The Hills of Tomorrow."

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#41He's Charlie! Lin-Manuel Miranda to Star in Encores! MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG
Posted: 11/1/11 at 1:35pm

Thanks Henrik...
My point was not that he is a one hit wonder, but what qualities would make him a good Charlie and you explained that.
I just don't see how the casting is perfect based on his performance in ITH. Of course he's entitled to a new part and maybe this will show a new side of his talent, I'm skeptical but we will see.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#42He's Charlie! Lin-Manuel Miranda to Star in Encores! MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG
Posted: 11/1/11 at 1:53pm

He's clearly not planning on rapping any part of the score. This is for those who are worrying, not you Phyllis.

Lin_Manuel Lin-Manuel Miranda
I gotta say, I expected way more snarky "Is he gonna RAP Franklin Shepard Inc?" reactions. Really humbled by all your congrats. Thank you.

Updated On: 11/1/11 at 01:53 PM

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#43He's Charlie! Lin-Manuel Miranda to Star in Encores! MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG
Posted: 11/1/11 at 2:39pm

It speaks well of him that he expects snark.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#44He's Charlie! Lin-Manuel Miranda to Star in Encores! MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG
Posted: 11/1/11 at 5:38pm

Picked up my ticket for this 2 weeks ago. Miranda is a talented man but I am not really looking forward to seeing him in this role. I am not excited.

Just give the world Love.

henrikegerman
#45He's Charlie! Lin-Manuel Miranda to Star in Encores! MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG
Posted: 11/1/11 at 6:37pm

Cool, CurtainPullDown, apologies for getting high horse.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#46He's Charlie! Lin-Manuel Miranda to Star in Encores! MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG
Posted: 11/1/11 at 10:29pm

Well I do like the commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zABMEL8XdB8

While not excited about this announcement, I will try to go in with an open mind. I just already have a vision in my mind as to how he will play the part. I really hope he surprises everyone. I know that these productions are "concerts" and maybe we should kind of forget about "who should play the parts" but they do use the books and I will say, I just don't see the character as a Puerto-Rican American. In an actual concert with just the songs, maybe. But not in an Encores! production or a full scale production. Again, I hope he surprises everyone, like me, who isn't crazy about him being cast and has me coming back here raving after I see it.

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 11/1/11 at 10:29 PM

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#47He's Charlie! Lin-Manuel Miranda to Star in Encores! MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG
Posted: 11/1/11 at 10:44pm

Lapine directed one of the first versions of the revised script and Encores did the revised Follies, so I have no doubt it's the new one. Which is kinda too bad, I do think the new script works better on stage, but for a somewhat concert staging I would have liked to see trhem go back.

And yes, Our Time ends the revised version--which I admit is one of the more effective parts.

Donthatecongratulate Profile Photo
Donthatecongratulate
#48He's Charlie! Lin-Manuel Miranda to Star in Encores! MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG
Posted: 11/1/11 at 11:54pm

boo.

"Don't f*** a baby. I'll get rid of your AIDS. If you f*** this frog."

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#49He's Charlie! Lin-Manuel Miranda to Star in Encores! MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG
Posted: 11/3/11 at 12:12pm

From BWW's interview with Miranda.

Is it true that Sondheim himself cast you in the upcoming Encores! MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG that it was just announced you are starring in as Charley?

LMM: Well, he e-mailed me to be sure, but, I don't think he chose me. I think he and Lapine were talking about potential Charleys and I think my name came up. So, he e-mailed me to ask me if I would be interested. You know, the part that that [New York] Times column left out was that I fully auditioned - I did a demo of "Good Thing Going" and sent it in. This is a crazy-demanding part and this was not just an offer out of the blue. And, I am really excited to get to work on it. So, yes, he e-mailed me and it was just the most thrilling e-mail that I could get because I remember seeing the first press release and being like, "Oh, who is he going to get to play Charley?" [Laughs.]

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel

Videos