SondheimFan5
#25ONE MAN, TWO GUVNORS Reviews
Posted: 4/19/12 at 12:41am

So great this is a huge hit.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#26ONE MAN, TWO GUVNORS Reviews
Posted: 4/19/12 at 8:12am

The show lost out at the Oliviers ironically to other National Theatre productions so a win isn't a gurantee

Jonwo, the things the show lost to at the Oliviers also had very positive reviews. Benedict Cumberbatch and Jonny Lee Miller beat out Corden for their dual roles in the critically acclaimed Frankenstein. They were pretty much expected to win. Here, the only real competition for that particular Tony is Philip Seymour Hoffman. And with these reviews for Corden, I think he'll take it fairly easily.

Updated On: 4/19/12 at 08:12 AM

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#27ONE MAN, TWO GUVNORS Reviews
Posted: 4/19/12 at 9:08am

Honestly I think we are going to have a Promises Promises situation here aka katie finnernan..not that the show didnt get great reviews but its the small scene stealer who gets the reward...and because of that i think Tom Edden has a better shot at tony glory then Oliver Chris, most of the reviews quickly mention chris in passin but go out of their way to praise Edden a sign of whose perfromace stood out more

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#28ONE MAN, TWO GUVNORS Reviews
Posted: 4/19/12 at 9:09am

Even if he gets nominated, which isn't happening, he is not winning. Period.

Owen22
#29ONE MAN, TWO GUVNORS Reviews
Posted: 4/19/12 at 9:42am

Tom Edden? Over Oliver Chris? Really? Are you smoking butter flavored crack?

Roscoe
#30ONE MAN, TWO GUVNORS Reviews
Posted: 4/19/12 at 12:20pm

Glad to see ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS getting such high praise. A great evening of hilarity in the theater.

No butter-flavored crack here. I'd give Tom Edden the Tony for Best Actor -- screw that Supporting nonsense. Edden did more just jiggling that plate with the spoon in it than Philip Seymour Hoffman has ever done, will ever do, and could ever do in his entire overrated career.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

pariswho Profile Photo
pariswho
#31ONE MAN, TWO GUVNORS Reviews
Posted: 4/19/12 at 12:48pm

Oh.

That's a bold statement. I'm just gonna go out on a limb and say...I disagree. We all have our opinions though! haha

I'm really taken aback by this crazy support for Tom Edden's performance. I think he's brilliant, but in my eyes it's not even a question that Oliver Chris is the greatest supporting performance in the whole show. I've said this before in the OMTG thread, but he's actually my overall favorite, not just supporting.

Roscoe
#32ONE MAN, TWO GUVNORS Reviews
Posted: 4/19/12 at 12:57pm

No disrespect to good old Oliver Chris, who does very good work from start to finish. I just thought Mr. Edden was bloody brilliant, doing some of the funniest work I've ever seen live on stage.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

cornerstone7
#33ONE MAN, TWO GUVNORS Reviews
Posted: 4/19/12 at 3:53pm

On Curtain Critic it's scoring even higher than Mormon!
Overall 91
Cast 95
Script 88
Tech 93
http://www.curtaincritic.com/Shows/ONE_MAN__TWO_GUVNORS_REVIEWS-140.html

Can't wait to see this one.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#34ONE MAN, TWO GUVNORS Reviews
Posted: 4/19/12 at 3:58pm

Though not higher than Salesman.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#35ONE MAN, TWO GUVNORS Reviews
Posted: 4/19/12 at 8:23pm

Just got tickets for next Friday. I'm so happy this got good reviews.

mamaleh
#36ONE MAN, TWO GUVNORS Reviews
Posted: 4/20/12 at 9:17am

How has the rush been since the laudatory reviews came out? What time is optimal for arrival? Thanks.

broadfan327
#37ONE MAN, TWO GUVNORS Reviews
Posted: 4/20/12 at 10:26am

I went last night and most of the right mezzanine was empty, so I don't think you need to rush for the rush.

mamaleh
#38ONE MAN, TWO GUVNORS Reviews
Posted: 4/20/12 at 10:49am

Thanks! It sounds like an evening well spent.

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#39ONE MAN, TWO GUVNORS Reviews
Posted: 4/20/12 at 11:09am

For the Brits who say that Oliver Chris had a larger part over Tom Edden hence he will be nominated over him, realize that the Tony's aren't like honestly for best supporting actor/actress it's whoever has the show stopping moment...Katie Finnernan in Promises Promises, Audra McDonald in Master Class, Christopher Fitzgerald in Young Frankenstein and Finian's Rainbow, Adam Godley Anything Goes, Rory O'Mally in Book of Mormon, none of them expect for possibly Rory are the largest role under the lead, but Rory is also a 5 roles kwhich is why I include him, but all stop the show like Tom Edden does

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#40ONE MAN, TWO GUVNORS Reviews
Posted: 4/20/12 at 11:48am

For the record, bdn223, I am American, and I don't think Tom is getting nominated.

Katie Finnernan in Promises Promises, Audra McDonald in Master Class, Christopher Fitzgerald in Young Frankenstein and Finian's Rainbow, Adam Godley Anything Goes, Rory O'Mally in Book of Mormon, none of them expect for possibly Rory are the largest role under the lead

WHAT? Katie and Audra had the two largest female parts in their respective shows other than the leads (Fran is the only female part bigger than Marge, and Sharon has the largest role in Master Class other than Maria). The same goes for Chris Fitzgerald in both of his shows. No other male actor (other than the leads) had a bigger part than he did. An argument can be made for Adam Godley having a smaller role than Joel Grey, but the roles are about the same size and Adam's notices were far better than Joel's.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#41ONE MAN, TWO GUVNORS Reviews
Posted: 4/21/12 at 11:15am

I loved this show, through and through. I could see either of the men getting a nom for their work. I love them both and simply cannot imagine another actor filling their shoes. (Which, to me, is the sign of a great performance.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#42ONE MAN, TWO GUVNORS Reviews
Posted: 4/21/12 at 3:34pm

It's intermission right now and I can't remember the last time I laughed this hard in the theater. I'm laughing more than I did when I saw BOOK OF MORMON. This is one incredible runaway train of a hilarious show. James Corden better win the Tony. They've caught lightning in a bottle at the Music Box. This is near perfect so far. I love it!

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#43ONE MAN, TWO GUVNORS Reviews
Posted: 4/21/12 at 5:33pm

There isn't much of a point echoing all of the near-unanimous raves this show so deserves, except to stress that anyone and everyone looking for a good laugh must see this show. I loved it from top to bottom and thought it was ridiculously silly, fun, and entertaining. It will leave even the biggest grumpy cynic grinning from ear to ear. I hope word of mouth catches on. This show is the funniest thing on Broadway.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#44ONE MAN, TWO GUVNORS Reviews
Posted: 4/28/12 at 9:51am

I don't think I've laughed that much in years. I want to know when, in between History Boys and this, James Corden became such a brilliant clown. Or was he always like that?

Oliver Chris and Tom Edden were brilliant, but my favorite in the cast was Suzy Toase as Dolly.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#45ONE MAN, TWO GUVNORS Reviews
Posted: 4/28/12 at 2:41pm

I don't think I could pick who my favorite was -- I just thought they worked together beautifully and laughed myself silly.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#46ONE MAN, TWO GUVNORS Reviews
Posted: 4/28/12 at 11:25pm

I have never had so much fun since Forbidden Broadway. James Corden deserves a Tony, A Drama Desk Award and every other award for funniest performance in a comedy. I wish they split the categories actor in a comedy from actor in a drama. In a perfect world James would win for Best Actor in a Comedy. Why do they put comedy actors against drama actors. There should be three categories for comedy, drama and musicals.

I loved this play.

Videos