pixeltracker

Moulin Rouge as a Broadway Musical?- Page 2

Moulin Rouge as a Broadway Musical?

Nickhutson Profile Photo
Nickhutson
#25Moulin Rouge as a Broadway Musical?
Posted: 5/15/13 at 12:38pm

You obviously all missed the post that said it HAS been done on stage in Germany. It obviously didn't work, so that's why it's appeared nowhere else. If Baz were to do an English speaking version, I am sure he'd trial it in Australia first.

Nick Hutson Co-Presenter/Producer MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#26Moulin Rouge as a Broadway Musical?
Posted: 5/15/13 at 12:47pm

^ Correction: A show "inspired by" Moulin Rouge has been done on stage in Germany. It shares much of the score but little else in common, and adds other songs that have zero to do with the plot.

As for where he would trial it first, around 2002/03, Baz was discussing a Vegas production, and in 2006, it looked like he was courting Nicole and Ewan to do the production (hey, investors like the sound of that). No word about his home country.

Bats to DiMaggio, balls to you.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

Nickhutson Profile Photo
Nickhutson
#27Moulin Rouge as a Broadway Musical?
Posted: 5/15/13 at 12:49pm

Will be interesting to know how the rights to the German production were sourced!

Nick Hutson Co-Presenter/Producer MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

phantom phan2
#28Moulin Rouge as a Broadway Musical?
Posted: 1/23/15 at 4:26am

early last year when Baz released Strictly Ballroom the musical in Sydney, he said that he will definitely have a go at putting together Moulin Rouge the musical and that it's the next step in his career. The show will be staged in Sydney first and tour Australia before over seas. I personally think it will be brilliant! He will probably choose Australian stars for the lead role as he did with Strictly.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#29Moulin Rouge as a Broadway Musical?
Posted: 1/23/15 at 6:28am

I REALLY HATED MOULIN ROGUE, IT WAS SUCH A MIGRANE! A STAGE ADAPTATION BETTER NOT HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

phantom phan2
#30Moulin Rouge as a Broadway Musical?
Posted: 1/23/15 at 6:47am

well that's your opinion but the stage show wouldnt have those quick shots that can be achieved through film. I would believe it would be a little less fast paced but if Baz can achieve that on stage...bravo. We can't say that we hope it doesnt happen, who knows, it could be brilliant or it could be a flop but we'll never know unless it happens.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#31Moulin Rouge as a Broadway Musical?
Posted: 1/23/15 at 7:25am

I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.

ryandl15 Profile Photo
ryandl15
#32Moulin Rouge as a Broadway Musical?
Posted: 1/23/15 at 8:28am

I would love for this to happen!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#33Moulin Rouge as a Broadway Musical?
Posted: 1/23/15 at 8:41am

Hey, Jeff....if it happens, don't go see it.

(I didn't care for the film, either.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#34Moulin Rouge as a Broadway Musical?
Posted: 1/23/15 at 10:45am

I would love to see Baz Luhrmann do anything on the stage again. His La Boheme was incredible.

Visceral_Fella
#35Moulin Rouge as a Broadway Musical?
Posted: 1/23/15 at 11:43am

I am also surprised that this hasn't happened yet. I almost want to say that I'm sure it will one day. It seems like such an obvious choice.

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#36Moulin Rouge as a Broadway Musical?
Posted: 1/23/15 at 1:47pm

but why should licensing of the music be any harder than say 'rock of ages'?
they had multiple songs from multiple artists. And wouldn't they have already have to have gone through something similar with the movie in the first place?

I for one would love this to happen, maybe if the Aussie version goes well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#37Moulin Rouge as a Broadway Musical?
Posted: 1/23/15 at 1:52pm

The movie is probably my favorite of all time (it's just so overblown and ridiculous and I love it), but I think a stage adaptation would have a tough time capturing that frenetic energy that the movie has in abundance (for example, how could they ever stage the spectacular-spectacular song as well as they did in the movie). It's just so cinematic that I don't think a stage adaptation could ever be as good as the movie. Plus, the movie is certainly not for everyone, so I don't think a stage adaptation would succeed commercially.

Updated On: 1/23/15 at 01:52 PM

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#38Moulin Rouge as a Broadway Musical?
Posted: 1/23/15 at 2:09pm

I still want to see the new Strickly Ballroom in Australia.

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#40Moulin Rouge as a Broadway Musical?
Posted: 1/23/15 at 5:16pm

The script for the live version passed across my desk a generation ago. At the time, it was being planned as some sort of Vegas spectacular, when columnists and industry wags were prematurely dubbing it "Broadway of the West." It was promising, albeit far too long for Vegas. On Broadway, it might work, though.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

Videos