pixeltracker

An American In Paris Looks Strongest In Tony Race: Michael Riedel- Page 2

An American In Paris Looks Strongest In Tony Race: Michael Riedel

showinoff Profile Photo
showinoff
#25An American In Paris Looks Strongest In Tony Race
Posted: 4/15/15 at 12:33pm

Has the Tony committee voted on The Visit yet? Do we know it will be in the new musical category or will it be a revival? I am always at a loss for understanding how this distinction is made.

<< Gavin Creel and Kate Baldwin making vocal love... I adore these two.

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#26An American In Paris Looks Strongest In Tony Race
Posted: 4/15/15 at 12:57pm

Jeff - a critics reviews have 0.0000000% to do with Tony nominations. All they are is someone's opinion on a show written for massive publications for the general public to read. 

There is no correlation between the two and I have no idea who or what made you believe that. None. Zero. Zip. 

On another note, I would LOVE to see FN get bumped out of the fourth (or fifth) slot for ISBY or TLS. 

And as for The Visit: it's being considered new, no? 

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#27An American In Paris Looks Strongest In Tony Race
Posted: 4/15/15 at 12:58pm

The Visit is an original musical. Why on earth would it be a revival? Because of Williamstown? It would only be under a revival if it had been performed by a professional company (Bway, Off-Bway, Regional) in New York over 3 years ago. Its eligible under Best Musical, never was a doubt about that. 

And yes. Critics are not nominators. Sometimes reviews are useful as a gage, but nominations come out of a very small body of voters. Their interests often differ from critics. 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#28An American In Paris Looks Strongest In Tony Race
Posted: 4/15/15 at 12:59pm

They haven't announced its eligibility yet, but THE VISIT will 100 percent be in the new musical categories. The musical is by no means a "classic." 

neonlightsxo
#29An American In Paris Looks Strongest In Tony Race
Posted: 4/15/15 at 12:59pm

^ Exactly. Sometimes being a key word. For example, you are writing off The Last Ship, whereas many people in the industry that I know personally feel much warmer to The Last Ship than they do to Honeymoon in Vegas. I'm just saying.

MayAudraBlessYou2
#30An American In Paris Looks Strongest In Tony Race
Posted: 4/15/15 at 1:05pm

Yes. I dont think either Honeymoon or Last Ship should be completely written off. But there are enough still-open shows of quality to fill out the nominations slots, so Im not sure the nominators will dip into the closed shows (they vote for what they like, but they absolutely know the benefit they can give open shows with a nomination). With both musicals "on the bubble", I fear neither will make the cut. They appeal to different tastes, so I cant see either getting enough votes. ...they certainly didnt rally behind Bridges last year when it could have used the Best Musical nomination, so why would the favor JRB's closed effort now?

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#31An American In Paris Looks Strongest In Tony Race
Posted: 4/15/15 at 1:25pm

HONEYMOON IN VEGAS got stronger reviews than THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY, and it's a much more award-friendly show.

Also, the talk about THE VISIT as a revival is confounding. It is in every way a new musical that has been in development for a number of years. It's no different from something like NEXT TO NORMAL.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
Updated On: 4/15/15 at 01:25 PM

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#32An American In Paris Looks Strongest In Tony Race
Posted: 4/15/15 at 1:36pm

And yes. Critics are not nominators. Sometimes reviews are useful as a gage, but nominations come out of a very small body of voters. Their interests often differ from critics.

This reminds of a discussion on Theater Talk's Tony Prediction show back in 2010...

@14:02

MayAudraBlessYou2
#33An American In Paris Looks Strongest In Tony Race
Posted: 4/15/15 at 2:24pm

^In that video they are talking about the voting process after the nominees have been decided. Where yes, critics can have a bit of sway over the masses of voters (and for many years some critics were included as Tony voters). I was referring to nominators. Which is a separate group from the voters. They are only about 40 or so people who decide the nominees (and do not include critics). A smaller group, imo, is less susceptible to outside influence. They are enlisted and contracted to see every single Broadway performance in the season. So they go with their gut and what they truly thought was best. This is why closed shows/performances can get nominations, but then frequently fail to win when the much larger group of voters comes in to determine the winners. 

Jeffrey Karasarides
#34An American In Paris Looks Strongest In Tony Race
Posted: 4/15/15 at 3:32pm

^I do see what you're saying as we've in the past, there's been plenty of shows that weren't exactly critical darlings that end up getting a Best Musical Nomination.

*The Wedding Singer got in over Lestat and Tarzan
*Mary Poppins got in over Legally Blonde
*Cry-Baby got in over A Catered Affair, The Little Mermaid, and Young Frankenstein
*Rock of Ages got in over 9 to 5
*Million Dollar Quartet got in over The Addams Family
*Catch Me If You Can got in over Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
*Leap of Faith got in over Ghost and Spider-Man
*Bring It On got in over Motown

Updated On: 4/15/15 at 03:32 PM

neonlightsxo
#35An American In Paris Looks Strongest In Tony Race
Posted: 4/15/15 at 4:19pm

"there's been plenty of shows that weren't exactly critical darlings that end up getting a Best Musical Nomination."

...which is what we were saying and you were arguing with us.

Updated On: 4/15/15 at 04:19 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#36An American In Paris Looks Strongest In Tony Race
Posted: 4/15/15 at 5:40pm

As nice as a few Tonys would be for Honeymoon, it will not bring it back

I would rather they go to a running show that would really need it & that would be The Visit

Poster Emeritus

Jeffrey Karasarides
#37An American In Paris Looks Strongest In Tony Race
Posted: 4/15/15 at 5:52pm

Closed shows have been nominated for Best Musical before (Side Show, Parade, The Scottsboro Boys, Bring It On, A Christmas Story, etc.).

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#38An American In Paris Looks Strongest In Tony Race
Posted: 4/15/15 at 6:47pm

If HONEYMOON IN VEGAS is nominated for Best Musical I will eat my shoes.

Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.

evic
#39An American In Paris Looks Strongest In Tony Race
Posted: 4/15/15 at 10:49pm

Reidel knows everybody connected to Broadway and he probably got the heads up regarding the disastrous reviews that Finding Neverland has received....hence his statement of AAIP being the frontrunner.  I am still rooting for The Visit to pull an upset. It deserves the honor because it is the most intelligent and theatrical of all of the new musicals.  I don't think they will honor AAIP because although it has marvelous dancing, it does not have an original score.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#40An American In Paris Looks Strongest In Tony Race
Posted: 4/15/15 at 10:57pm

I predict AAIP will get 10 Tony nominations for:

Musical

Book

Direction

Choreography

Orchestrations

Sound Design

Leading Actor

Costume

Scenic Design

Lighting

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 4/15/15 at 10:57 PM

Lats Profile Photo
Lats
#41An American In Paris Looks Strongest In Tony Race
Posted: 4/15/15 at 11:04pm

Totally agree. I saw the first preview and was wowed every second. An extraordinary achievement, despite all the hate on this site for it. Go figure.

Updated On: 4/15/15 at 11:04 PM

brdway411
#42An American In Paris Looks Strongest In Tony Race
Posted: 4/16/15 at 12:18am

I saw AAIP and was bored to tears. But then again I was bored with On the Town and On the 20th Century too. So what do I know. Also found Something Rotten fun for the first 30 minutes and then the jokes got old. Enjoyed Finding Neverland and the critics hated it. Would have loved to seen JJ in the lead. I also enjoyed Honeymoon. I saw Fun Home at the Public and didn't love it then so I am not wasting my time seeing it on Broadway. 

Best 3 things I have seen this season are 2 plays and they are Curious Incident and Hand to God and 1 musical Side Show. Almost everything else was meh.....

Updated On: 4/16/15 at 12:18 AM

NoName3 Profile Photo
NoName3
#43An American In Paris Looks Strongest In Tony Race
Posted: 4/16/15 at 1:04am

Riedel originally ascribed It Might As Well Be Spring to Rodgers and HART and went on and on about HART's lyrics. After heavy derision on multiple other sites, his column has been considerably revised without acknowledgment. Why is his opinion taken seriously here? Even without this latest embarrassment?

Updated On: 4/16/15 at 01:04 AM

Jeffrey Karasarides
#44An American In Paris Looks Strongest In Tony Race
Posted: 4/16/15 at 4:53am

@Robbie2, Have you forgotten that the Sound categories have been removed this year?

massofmen
#45An American In Paris Looks Strongest In Tony Race
Posted: 4/16/15 at 8:19am

Something rotten seems like the favorite to me to win the best musical category. This might be a Urinetown Millie year..where Urinetown won best book, director and millie won the tony. 
i think fun home will win the more artistic awards and something rotten will win the 'this show will tour better" award. 

Jeffrey Karasarides
#46An American In Paris Looks Strongest In Tony Race
Posted: 4/16/15 at 8:23am

^That really hasn't seem to have been the case in recent years with Once beating Newsies and Gentleman's Guide beating Beautiful.

JayG  2 Profile Photo
JayG 2
#47An American In Paris Looks Strongest In Tony Race
Posted: 4/16/15 at 9:12am

Roxy, I would rather the nominators go with quality and not base their selections on a show because it is still running. That really negates the word best from the equation. 

If they announce the winner as "the show still running on Broadway with the most votes

is --", that would work, I suppose

Videos