pixeltracker

An American In Paris Looks Strongest In Tony Race: Michael Riedel

An American In Paris Looks Strongest In Tony Race: Michael Riedel

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#1An American In Paris Looks Strongest In Tony Race: Michael Riedel
Posted: 4/15/15 at 6:52am

...according to Michael Riedel of the New York Post.  http://nypost.com/2015/04/15/an-american-in-paris-looks-strongest-in-tony-race/

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)
Updated On: 4/15/15 at 06:52 AM

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#2An American In Paris Looks Strongest In Tony Race
Posted: 4/15/15 at 6:59am

Well yeah it's easy to say that when reviews for Fun Home, Something Rotten and Finding Neverland aren't out yet. AAIP will probably get nominated but it's not our winner.

Countdown til Jordan comes on raging about how much loves me! 3..2..1...

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2An American In Paris Looks Strongest In Tony Race
Posted: 4/15/15 at 7:35am

Only for a nomination, not a win.  He doesn't discuss winning at all.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Annetteiago
#3An American In Paris Looks Strongest In Tony Race
Posted: 4/15/15 at 7:44am

if only Fun Home got a Pulitzer nom then it might have won

Annetteiago
#4An American In Paris Looks Strongest In Tony Race
Posted: 4/15/15 at 7:44am

if only Fun Home got a Pulitzer nom then it might have won

JayG  2 Profile Photo
JayG 2
#5An American In Paris Looks Strongest In Tony Race
Posted: 4/15/15 at 7:55am

REIDEL WRITES: If “Finding Neverland” is nominated, watch for Weinstein to spend a fortune chasing the Tony. No one else on Broadway this season has his resources.
But he must deploy his millions wisely and tastefully. Tony voters will look askance at splashy displays of wealth.

Right, those high brow Tony voters would never cast a vote for an undeserving piece of garbage - unless of course it promises to tour and make money for them. Such integrity.

Falling
#6An American In Paris Looks Strongest In Tony Race
Posted: 4/15/15 at 8:12am

"if only Fun Home got a Pulitzer nom then it might have won"

Fun Home was a Pulitzer finalist.

Curious3
#7An American In Paris Looks Strongest In Tony Race
Posted: 4/15/15 at 9:00am

Amazing how a few weeks, or even days ago, the buzz on these boards by many were that this show was dead and buried. Wow, I've been calling this THE WINNER for months. Handicaping ain't so easy at the track and certainly not B'way. Congrats to this original, inspired and powerhouse show.

neonlightsxo
#8An American In Paris Looks Strongest In Tony Race
Posted: 4/15/15 at 9:40am

Curious3, what show are you talking about? Because American in Paris is certainly not "original." In any sense of the word.

To the OP: Michael Riedel also thought Bullets over Broadway would sweep the Tonys, did he not?

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#9An American In Paris Looks Strongest In Tony Race
Posted: 4/15/15 at 9:44am

"REIDEL WRITES: If “Finding Neverland” is nominated, watch for Weinstein to spend a fortune chasing the Tony. No one else on Broadway this season has his resources.
But he must deploy his millions wisely and tastefully. Tony voters will look askance at splashy displays of wealth."

Didn't "Avenue Q" supposedly "buy" their Tony's?

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#10An American In Paris Looks Strongest In Tony Race
Posted: 4/15/15 at 9:47am

"Well yeah it's easy to say that when reviews for Fun Home, Something Rotten and Finding Neverland aren't out yet. AAIP will probably get nominated but it's not our winner"

I am just happy that this appears to be a very strong year for Broadway musicals and that it may actually be a real tough decision for nominations for "Best Musical". 

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#11An American In Paris Looks Strongest In Tony Race
Posted: 4/15/15 at 9:49am

I agree with the nominees being:

FUN HOME (who should win)

SOMETHING ROTTEN (who could win)

AN AMERICAN IN PARIS

FINDING NEVERLAND

THE VISIT (a possible 5th slot or takes FINDING NEVERLAND's spot)

Tigger Profile Photo
Tigger
#12An American In Paris Looks Strongest In Tony Race
Posted: 4/15/15 at 10:02am

I just saw both An American In Paris and Finding Neverland this last weekend. God forbid that Finding Neverland should get a nomination except for maybe Matthew Morrison who works very hard at turning a pig's ear into a silk purse. I found it a big musically charmless bore with one very clever special effect.

I loved American In Paris which is a gorgeously sung,danced and designed show and will look forward to seeing it again and hope it will be nominated as I feel it is deserving in every acting and craft department.

"Extraordinary how potent cheap music is..." Noel Coward-Private Lives

PatrickDennis92
#13An American In Paris Looks Strongest In Tony Race
Posted: 4/15/15 at 11:36am

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that this year's four spots will be AAIP, Neverland, Fun Home, Rotten-- with a chance that The Visit could sneak in for a 5th spot. Now, while, personally, I think Fun Home is the best, I think politics prohibit it from being an actual winning contender. I also think The Visit (again, just me personally) doesn't actually deserve a nomination but may get one anyway, but also has no chance of winning. Now, among AAIP, Rotten, and Neverland, I actually think there are exactly equal odds each will win-- rotten is a comedy and has Jordan Roth's machine behind it. Obviously Neverland has huge piles of money, and major ego, along with a recognizable title that could appeal to touring houses. AAIP has some big industry players involved, and momentum seems to be on its side. So I think this will be a political battle, and I just happen to think Jordan Roth's party is the strongest here. But you never know. AAIP has smitten most who see it. Could go all the way.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#14An American In Paris Looks Strongest In Tony Race
Posted: 4/15/15 at 11:43am

Here's my breakdown for each of the possible nominees this year:

Likely Nominees:
An American in Paris
Fun Home

Could Get In (Depending on the Reviews):
Doctor Zhivago
Finding Neverland
Something Rotten!
The Visit

What Shouldn't Be Ruled Out:
Honeymoon in Vegas

Count Out:
Holler If Ya Hear Me
It Shoulda Been You
The Last Ship

neonlightsxo
#15An American In Paris Looks Strongest In Tony Race
Posted: 4/15/15 at 11:46am

Jeffrey, where do I begin on how wrong that list is? Don't rule out Honeymoon in Vegas but DO rule out The Last Ship? Talk to some of the voters I know, and then tell me that.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#16An American In Paris Looks Strongest In Tony Race
Posted: 4/15/15 at 11:53am

At the point I'd say the four likely nominees will be: Something Rotten, Finding Neverland, Fun Home & An American In Paris.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.
Updated On: 4/15/15 at 11:53 AM

broadwaysfguy
#17An American In Paris Looks Strongest In Tony Race
Posted: 4/15/15 at 11:57am

i give the board high marks for sussing out the top shows this season

and thanks to all of you for helping me make good decisions on what to see...you guys are awesome!

im excited to see some great shows in two weeks, and moved american in paris from a maybe to a definite based on all your feedback....

doubtful dr zhivago or visit will get rave reviews but we will have to see.

Right now the lineup for my trip is

on the 20th century

fun home

Finding neverland

an american in paris

The King and I

On the town

Something Rotten

Hamilton(maybe trying to decide on scalper seats)

very excited, great seats for every show, and not too worried about what im missing....

Jeffrey Karasarides
#18An American In Paris Looks Strongest In Tony Race
Posted: 4/15/15 at 12:00pm

The reason Honeymoon in Vegas shouldn't be ruled out is because if you go back and read the reviews, they were very glowing, and I think the fact that it closed prematurely might lead some nominators to feel more sympathy towards it.

The reason I think The Last Ship should be ruled out is because if you go back and read the reviews, they were mostly kind, just not exactly raves. I think the show's best chance at a nomination would definitely be Score, I'll be surprised if it's nominated for Best Musical.

neonlightsxo
#19An American In Paris Looks Strongest In Tony Race
Posted: 4/15/15 at 12:03pm

Tony nominations are not based on reviews. In fact, none of the Tony nominators are critics. This is a flaw in your logic.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#20An American In Paris Looks Strongest In Tony Race
Posted: 4/15/15 at 12:04pm

I wouldn't be surprised if Finding Neverland is snubbed for the top prize. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#21An American In Paris Looks Strongest In Tony Race
Posted: 4/15/15 at 12:08pm

It would be purely political if FN is snubbed.

Countdown til Jordan comes on raging about how much loves me! 3..2..1...

Jeffrey Karasarides
#22An American In Paris Looks Strongest In Tony Race
Posted: 4/15/15 at 12:18pm

Tony nominations are not based on reviews. In fact, none of the Tony nominators are critics. This is a flaw in your logic.

I know that, but don't the reviews still kind of give you a sense of what's been well-liked within the industry?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#23An American In Paris Looks Strongest In Tony Race
Posted: 4/15/15 at 12:18pm

And that's why I wouldn't be surprised by it. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#24An American In Paris Looks Strongest In Tony Race
Posted: 4/15/15 at 12:24pm

It would be purely political if FN is snubbed.

Oh, do tell!  You seem so certain!

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Videos