pixeltracker

Why do people hate Finding Neverland - Page 2

Why do people hate Finding Neverland

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#25Why do people hate Finding Neverland
Posted: 10/14/15 at 4:50pm

GreasedLightning said: "The comment seems pretty self explanatory to me... have you never gone to see something with low expectations, loved it and then further returned with those high expectations that's weren't met? I sure have."

This is why part of me thinks it is wise to stay away from a repeat visit to Something Rotten.

UrNotAMachine
#26Why do people hate Finding Neverland
Posted: 10/14/15 at 11:13pm

It took a film that was subtle and beautiful and turned it into an artificial spectacle. When I first heard it was being adapted into a musical, I actually thought it was a very good idea because of how moving and simple the film is. I assumed the score would be a made up of folk and celtic music (perhaps similar to something like Once) it seemed an adaptation of the film would fittingly be very low-key and intimate. It instead is full of generic songs that would not feel out of place in the Coldplay songbook, passable performances and cringe-inducing attempts to be as pleasant and inoffensive as possible.

c0113g3b0y
#27Why do people hate Finding Neverland
Posted: 10/14/15 at 11:43pm

because it shows that the ****tiest of **** can end up on Broadway as long as morons like Weinstein have money to splash. 

The thing is, besides being an utter toad of a human being, Riedel usually has the least knowledge of the topic in the room. He doesn't usually understand the content or approach of a show, and is always completely and unfailingly socially ignorant, which makes it really infuriating when Susan can't get a word in edgewise. A definitive mansplainer; it's always painful when he has female guests. I watch the show sporadically when I really want to see a guest, because it's the only theatre talkshow we have, but it would be so much better without this hateful clown in a dadcoat. (thanks ScaryWarhol)
Updated On: 10/14/15 at 11:43 PM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#28Why do people hate Finding Neverland
Posted: 10/15/15 at 12:52am

Can I just say that the person who wrote the cringe worthy book is also a writer for downtown abbey. And I really do have to say, Harvey really pushed for worst in his creative team. I think he knew that, but I also think he knows that General America is dumb so he dumbed down the show for a general American. If only he kept the original curve theatre idea. Also the song I like the most is Play, but I have to ask is that the one not written by Barlow?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

nicnyc Profile Photo
nicnyc
#29Why do people hate Finding Neverland
Posted: 10/15/15 at 1:54am

Speaking only for myself, I hated it because I thought there wasn't a single decent song in the whole show.  I was bored throughout.  I didn't care about the characters and thought the acting and direction were particularly weak.  I believe many other people have strong feelings about Weinstein, the creative team, etc - but I don't really care about any of that stuff.  I just didn't find the evening enjoyable. I can usually find something to enjoy in any show - but the only thing I found enjoyable was the special effect at the end - which was a very fleeting and didn't make up for all the completely uninteresting things that proceeded it.

TerrenceIsTheMann
#30Why do people hate Finding Neverland
Posted: 10/15/15 at 4:49am

"This is why part of me thinks it is wise to stay away from a repeat visit to Something Rotten."

I saw Rotten twice and loved it both times. It's not to be taken seriously. It's purely chaotic comedy and I think it's pretty well done, especially compared to FN.

Eurotrash Profile Photo
Eurotrash
#31Why do people hate Finding Neverland
Posted: 10/15/15 at 10:03am

The opprobrium heaped on this show seems to have grown since it started, so something like the opposite of 'hype' is at work - let's call it 'snype' - which might also might explain why some people decide they didn't enjoy it after all, when they originally did...  

Why don't you go? Why don't you leave Manderley? He doesn't need you... he's got his memories. He doesn't love you, he wants to be alone again with her. You've nothing to stay for. You've nothing to live for really, have you?

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#32Why do people hate Finding Neverland
Posted: 10/15/15 at 10:39am

People always like when someone dies and they cry or feel something. It makes them forget how terrible something is because they shed a tear. Sheep.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Sunny11
#33Why do people hate Finding Neverland
Posted: 10/15/15 at 10:42am

^ I dont understand how that relates to the topic, Finding Neverland hasn't died. Could you please elaborate?

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#34Why do people hate Finding Neverland
Posted: 10/15/15 at 10:44am

I loved Something Rotten just as much the second time as well, but I went in with high expectations the first time.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#35Why do people hate Finding Neverland
Posted: 10/15/15 at 10:50am

Someone in the show dies and people love that. That's what I mean.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#36Why do people hate Finding Neverland
Posted: 10/15/15 at 10:52am

I actually loved the show in Boston very much.  In NY, not nearly as much.  I even saw in 2x at the ART.   

I suppose what I found disappointing in the NY production (although I didn't dislike it) was that there weren't a lot of changes that I liked, and things I didn't care for stayed the same.  

As for the hate?  Whatcha gonna do?  I'm not sure how others opinions affect your own.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

dreamcoat12 Profile Photo
dreamcoat12
#37Why do people hate Finding Neverland
Posted: 10/15/15 at 11:10am

I fell asleep during it ... twice.   It didn't grab me at all.

Sunny11
#38Why do people hate Finding Neverland
Posted: 10/15/15 at 11:12am

Most of the professional reviews gave praise to the cast and they faired the best from the production during the awards season. I don't think that they where at fault. 

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#39Why do people hate Finding Neverland
Posted: 10/15/15 at 12:46pm

I've actually never seen the film and I enjoyed Finding Neverland. Not enough to go back, but it was more entertaining than I'd expected, and sustained that energy throughout. I certainly had a better time there than at Something Rotten, which doesn't even respect its own genre.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#40Why do people hate Finding Neverland
Posted: 10/15/15 at 12:55pm

I think it is the most pandering and generic thing I've ever seen. Also completely disregards everything that was actually interesting about Barrie. 

firebolts Profile Photo
firebolts
#41Why do people hate Finding Neverland
Posted: 10/15/15 at 2:35pm

I've never seen the show, but I really like the cast recording. I don't take the show too seriously - that helps. I think people expect too much from musicals sometimes. It's just a fun musical. I don't think I've seen so much unnecessary vitriol/offense directed at a musical before on this board. 

Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.
Updated On: 10/15/15 at 02:35 PM

Jarethan
#42Why do people hate Finding Neverland
Posted: 10/15/15 at 4:54pm

I personally think a lot of the animosity is from people who have decided that Harvey W. Is the anti-Christ, ignoring the fact that he has produced a number of terrific movies, and focusing on things that have nothing to do with the show.  Then, there are people who don't like sentimentality.  Then there are always gonna be folks who don't like it just because (I never particularly loved A Chorus Line and hated CATS, for example).  I personally feel a lot has nothing to do with the show

My personal opinion: I loved it 3 times despite its flaws: I too thought the sets were awful, that some of the choreography was not good.  I also loved the score (listen to the CD a few times), though the performances were solid -- I liked both Jordan and Morrison, I loved most of the staging (I can quibble here and there), and I loved the magic.

I tend to have pretty eclectic taste, and there is certainly room for this.

Updated On: 10/15/15 at 04:54 PM

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#43Why do people hate Finding Neverland
Posted: 10/15/15 at 5:43pm

Harvey's behavior through the entire development of the show didn't help, because he made some terrible calls with creatives that make it such a hodge-podge of bland elements. And maybe it would have gotten a tech nomination or two at the Tonys if not for bad blood. But animosity is not the reason that the reception has been so poor. It's because the show is, to many seasoned theatregoers, or to people who know about Barrie or Peter Pan, nakedly incompetent. I love sincere sentimentality. Every move in this show intended to elicit an emotional response seemed cheap, unearned, and cynical to me. 

Also, love the idea that Broadway theatre shouldn't be held to some kind of standard, and people are just too harsh if they don't like something. I love at least half of what I see. Especially in the past year. For musicals. We've been very lucky. 

Updated On: 10/15/15 at 05:43 PM

Eurotrash Profile Photo
Eurotrash
#44Why do people hate Finding Neverland
Posted: 10/16/15 at 10:03am

"As for the hate?  Whatcha gonna do?  I'm not sure how others opinions affect your own."

It's 'groupthink', it's a problem in these sorts of forums. Same reason why Republicans think they've won elections, even after the results are in.

Why don't you go? Why don't you leave Manderley? He doesn't need you... he's got his memories. He doesn't love you, he wants to be alone again with her. You've nothing to stay for. You've nothing to live for really, have you?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#45Why do people hate Finding Neverland
Posted: 10/16/15 at 10:10am

Oh, I know, THAT it does, but I don't get giving in to it.  ie.....If the poster genuinely liked/loved/appreciated it, why bother even ASKING about the hate....that's like LOOKING for reasons to change your mind.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Eurotrash Profile Photo
Eurotrash
#46Why do people hate Finding Neverland
Posted: 10/16/15 at 10:53am

In the words of the great Lord: "Anything but lonely, Anything but empty rooms. There's so much in life to share. What's the sense when no one else is there?"

gfaustswa Profile Photo
gfaustswa
#47Why do people hate Finding Neverland
Posted: 10/17/15 at 1:28am

I have the best idea in the world.  Shut the **** up and enjoy the show.  It's wonderful.   If you don't see flaws till the second time around great.  Spend the money.  Most are going once to enjoy the show and have fun.   It's a wonderful show.  Let loose.  Get young.   And honest to God, tell all the lame, one time,  critics to shut the hell up.  The show is great!  Get out there and have fun!   Because it is fun!!!!

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#48Why do people hate Finding Neverland
Posted: 10/17/15 at 9:56am

So... gfaustswa = Harvey Weinstein?!

c0113g3b0y
#49Why do people hate Finding Neverland
Posted: 10/17/15 at 10:05am

haterobics said: "So... gfaustswa = Harvey Weinstein?!

"

I think it's Diane Paulus

The thing is, besides being an utter toad of a human being, Riedel usually has the least knowledge of the topic in the room. He doesn't usually understand the content or approach of a show, and is always completely and unfailingly socially ignorant, which makes it really infuriating when Susan can't get a word in edgewise. A definitive mansplainer; it's always painful when he has female guests. I watch the show sporadically when I really want to see a guest, because it's the only theatre talkshow we have, but it would be so much better without this hateful clown in a dadcoat. (thanks ScaryWarhol)

Videos