In The Heights revival?

Liza's Headband
#25In The Heights revival?
Posted: 8/16/16 at 12:14pm

Oak2 said: "nasty_khakis - I didn't think Usnavi's goal was to retire per se - he just wanted to return home. I assumed with exchange rates that his third of the money, even after taxes, would still be enough to allow him to move back to the Dominican Republic and at least build up a comfortable life there - not necessarily retiring. Usnavi's goals for most of the musical felt more like just wanting to return to what he felt as his homeland, even if that meant still having to work there. Which is why he had to have that epiphany of realizing Washington Heights WAS his home. Presumably the money he won was still able to help him get his business back on track at least.

Also, I'm not as clear on this, maybe the setting is meant to be earlier than when it came out? I may be mistaken, but for some reason when I was listening to recordings of it I got the impression it was meant to take place in the 80's or 90's, when $96,000 would be a much more effective sum of money than in 2008 when the musical came out.
"

In the song 'When You're Home,' Benny sings "There's no 9 train now." The 9 train was discontinued in May of 2005. The musical would have to take place sometime after May of 2005. Assuming Nina was gone for about 9 months for college (Sept - May) and considering the show's first public presentation was in June of 2005, I think it's safe to say Lin's intended -- or perhaps unintended -- timing of the musical is unofficially the summer of 2005. 

Also, with respect to the lottery: when accounting for inflation, $96,000 in 2005 had the same buying power as $118,290.38 in 2016. You can assume the winner would retain about 48 or 49% of the lump sum buyout. $60,000 is nothing to sneeze at. 

broadway_show_fan Profile Photo
broadway_show_fan
#26In The Heights revival?
Posted: 8/16/16 at 1:28pm

Other reasons for July 2005 -

In "96,000" Benny mentions Donald Trump who rose to pop culture (and not just business) fame in 2004 for the Apprentice tv show. He also mentions "the brass ring like Frodo" - the last of the Lord of the Rings trilogy came out in 2003, so fresh in the minds in 2005.

In the club, the cast used flip-phones to light the way after the blackout. I believe there were many Motorola Razr phones - which were released in roughly 2004.

Also, in "Everything I Know," Nina tells Usnavi about several pictures that date it. There's one where "you can tell it's from the 80s by the volume of their hair" meaning they were all a close family-community in the 80s. There's another where she mentions "Usnavi, just a baby, '87, Halloween" - if he was about 3 or 4 (still relatively "babyish" by comparison to his new adult role in life), he would be 21 or 22 - a young man left with a financially unstable store, friends who are college aged, and a younger cousin. I believe in an earlier version they discussed Vanessa dressed as She-Ra for Halloween. She-Ra wasn't popular until the mid-80s - again fitting with Vanessa's age if the show was dated to 2005.

Oddly, as the production ran, the lyrics were changed for "Everything I Know." I don't know if it was for Corbin Bleu specifically, but by the time he was in the show, it was "you can tell it's from the 90s by the volume of their hair." Bleu was only born in '89 and was only 20 during the beginning of his run.

Liza's Headband
#27In The Heights revival?
Posted: 8/16/16 at 1:45pm

^^^ Yaaaassss! 

In The Heights revival?

Oak2
#28In The Heights revival?
Posted: 8/16/16 at 1:52pm

Thank you to both Liza's Headband and broadway_show_fan for pointing those out. I stand corrected (as I said, I wasn't sure). It's always neat seeing all the little things that point to the answer that one might miss on an initial listening. But in any case, I still stand by the idea that $96,000 is still a pretty big amount for the cast at the time of 2005, and more than enough to allow Usnavi to start a new life in the Dominican Republic, though not to retire.

Liza's Headband
#29In The Heights revival?
Posted: 8/16/16 at 1:57pm

You're welcome and yes, you're right. As I previously said, $60k is nothing to sneeze at. 

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#30In The Heights revival?
Posted: 8/16/16 at 2:07pm

Wow! Someone actually took the time to listen to a show's lyrics to get a sense of to the time it takes place?!?!?

Color me impressed.... 

broadway_show_fan
#31In The Heights revival?
Posted: 8/16/16 at 2:14pm

CarlosAlberto - ha! I think it's just complete cemented in my brain at this point, after so many viewings of the show, both off-Broadway and on. And you're all welcome!

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#32In The Heights revival?
Posted: 8/16/16 at 2:15pm

to someone who is on the relatively lower side of income, $96,000 seems like much more than it is just by comparison.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#33In The Heights revival?
Posted: 8/16/16 at 2:24pm

gypsy101 said: "to someone who is on the relatively lower side of income, $96,000 seems like much more than it is just by comparison."

Exactly! I doubt anyone here would have $96,000  drop in their lap and say to themselves: "Uh, is that all there is?"

broadway_show_fan
#34In The Heights revival?
Posted: 8/16/16 at 2:29pm

I'd be ecstatic with $96, and just about die with $1,000, so I'd be over the moon with even $30k or $50k or whatever you'd get after taxes.

mcsquared
#35In The Heights revival?
Posted: 8/16/16 at 2:49pm

nasty_khakis said: "
I still think it would have been a lot easier to believe this "life-changing" amount of money was a bit higher. He mentions moving a sipping cocktails by a beach, not opening a new business or something. It's not a huge flaw, but it's always been unclear to me. I feel the same way about a lot of weird things in Nina's storyline too, her parents selling the business, etc."

Yah, I agree, selling the business wasn't the wisest move without at least having jobs lined up since job market is harsh for older people and then they'd just be broke long term. And dropping everything to move permanently to DR next day and having lottery money within a day or so of winning it was unlikely though I guess for purpose of moving along the play action had to happen.

Liza's Headband
#36In The Heights revival?
Posted: 8/17/16 at 10:35am

gypsy101 said: "to someone who is on the relatively lower side of income, $96,000 seems like much more than it is just by comparison.

"

Factoring in taxes, it would actually be about 48-49% of that $96,000 figure, but yes.. the value of the final amount is all relative to the individual receiving it. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#37In The Heights revival?
Posted: 8/17/16 at 1:13pm

For the overwhelming majority of Americans, receiving nearly half of $96k would be potentially life-changing, even if that change is "just" paying off student or credit card debt.   

It's certainly enough to pick up and move to the Dominican Republic and settle there. It's probably far, far more than most immigrants from the Dominican Republic have when they come to NYC.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

whatdoesntkillme
#38In The Heights revival?
Posted: 8/17/16 at 3:07pm

For me, the biggest plot hole is why Nina is returning from Stanford on the 4th of July weekend and not a month earlier when school actually lets out. Also, need-based scholarships exist, and if the Rosarios are really that poor, they would likely receive enough financial aid to support their daughter. That said, I agree that the music is wonderful, having seen the show three times. 

Liza's Headband
#39In The Heights revival?
Posted: 8/17/16 at 3:25pm

Because she had to finish up a work commitment? Because she took some summer courses? Because it was cheapest to come home in July? Because she was finishing up an internship? There are a million possible ways to address what is a fairly insignificant plot hole in the grand scheme of things (and in comparison to the much larger ones this mess of a show is plagued with)! 

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#40In The Heights revival?
Posted: 8/17/16 at 3:42pm

<i>Because it was cheapest to come home in July?</i>

She wasn't just flying in July, though, she was flying a ~holiday~ in July. No one who is tight on money would fly over a holiday. And with how up in her business her parents (and the rest of the neighborhood) are/is, it was odd that where she's been between the end of school and now wasn't even throwaway-line addressed.

If the Rosarios own a business they're most likely not poor enough on paper for Nina to qualify for need-based scholarships.

As long as we're talking about 'things from In the Heights that bother me but no one else,' mine:
- how did Abuela get her cash that day, wouldn't the lottery office be closed for the 4th of July holiday?
- how is Daniela having to move her salon to the Bronx because she can't afford Washington Heights rent, yet she has enough income to cosign on that West Village apartment for Vanessa?
- the part where Vanessa doesn't get carded to buy champagne :)

MyFavoriteBrunette Profile Photo
MyFavoriteBrunette
#41In The Heights revival?
Posted: 8/17/16 at 4:15pm

¡Ay por Dios!  LOL!  I love all the speculation going on here of the why's and how's.

Liza's Headband
#42In The Heights revival?
Posted: 8/17/16 at 5:13pm

MyFavoriteBrunette said: "¡Ay por Dios!  LOL!  I love all the speculation going on here of the why's and how's."

I'd say criticism... not speculation. If there weren't so many damn plot holes in this mess of a show, this discussion wouldn't be happening.

Oak2
#43In The Heights revival?
Posted: 8/17/16 at 5:56pm

Nah, I'd call it specualtion from most. You might call it criticism, but to me and others I see it as more playful, and it's nice to be able to bring up some minor questions in this absolute beautiful gem of a show. The fact that it's able to be so enjoyable despite such minor errors just shows to me how great it is.

nolanativeny
#44In The Heights revival?
Posted: 8/17/16 at 5:59pm

I'm not sure if this says something about me or the show (probably me) but I never realized it took place on/around the 4th of July until reading this thread. 

MyFavoriteBrunette Profile Photo
MyFavoriteBrunette
#45In The Heights revival?
Posted: 8/18/16 at 1:18am

Liza's Headband said: I'd say criticism... not speculation. If there weren't so many damn plot holes in this mess of a show, this discussion wouldn't be happening.

I love that the discussion is taking place because when I watched a bootleg of it, I just took in the show for what it was giving me.  It made me feel, laugh and cry.  I never wondered why Nina came back in July, why they were so ecstatic over only 96k (I'll take any free money!  I jumped for joy with my 3-digit Christmas bonus! or the money the NYS comptroller had of mine for about 20 years ha ha!) how did Abuela cash her earnings over the 4th of July holiday?  None of these crossed my mind.  I just get lost in the magic of theater and let it take me where my heart wants to go =)  I'm interested reading everyone's contributions..."thing that make you go Hmmm?"

Updated On: 8/18/16 at 01:18 AM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#46In The Heights revival?
Posted: 3/22/18 at 5:17pm

[double post/delete]

Updated On: 3/22/18 at 05:17 PM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#47In The Heights revival?
Posted: 3/22/18 at 5:17pm

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Photo-Flash-Uptown-Goes-to-DC-First-Look-at-IN-THE-HEIGHTS-at-the-Kennedy-Center-20180322

This production down in D.C. looks. So. Good. 

With Lin's continued popularity these days, does anyone think there's any chance of a Heights revival in the near future? I missed it in its initial run on Broadway too and would love to see a full production of it here in New York.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#48In The Heights revival?
Posted: 3/22/18 at 5:32pm

I've seen the show four times (Broadway, tour and London productions) and listened to the cast recording countless times and never felt the need to ask any of those questions.  Nothing about the plot ever bothered me.  The music, emotion, characters, staging and choreography more than made up for any nits in the plot.

If there weren't so many damn plot holes in this mess of a show, this discussion wouldn't be happening.

Oh, please.  These discussions happen with EVERY musical, especially those that become popular.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

irishgator1
#49In The Heights revival?
Posted: 3/23/18 at 8:40am

I saw the concert last night at the Kennedy Center- it was amazing! I couldn't believe that Anthony Ramos stepped into the role only recently.

As with Chess, I had a lot of difficulty hearing the singers. They sounded so quiet at times and it seemed the mics were cutting in and out at times. I was sitting in the 7th row orchestra, but over to the side against the wall. I don't know if that had something to do with it?  A friend who was sitting in the first row said he didn't hear sound issues, but he also didn't hear sound issues with Chess.  Maybe it's my middle-aged ears!

Btw, they changed the lyrics in 96,000 from golfing with Trump to golfing with Tiger Woods, and the crowd loved it.

Updated On: 3/23/18 at 08:40 AM

Videos