BRIGHT STAR Reviews

massofmen
#25BRIGHT STAR Reviews
Posted: 3/24/16 at 10:46pm

I love that the.nytimes has no more real power. From lauding over honeymoon in Vegas to loving disaster to now this is just hilarious. I'm sure there are many others that I am forgetting. 

The nytimes used to be the thing that would kill or save a show. It would be the paper that everyone would race to see to see if their show would survive. Now it makes no difference what the times says.  Their days of power are over and it's wonderful to watch the demise happen. 

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#26BRIGHT STAR Reviews
Posted: 3/24/16 at 10:47pm

Cupid Boy2 said: "Dancingthrulife2 said: "Though I love Bright Stars, I can't ignore the fact that the "critic's pick" comes from the same person who gives the same accolade to Disaster!."

In the other thread, you stated that you hoped it didn't get "slayed" by the critics. The Times gave it a wonderful review. What did you want? 

I was hoping that it wouldn't get trashed, so it's good to hear some good reviews. But I honestly don't think it's a "critic's pick" level show. Or at least "critic's pick" should at least be a little more sophisticated than what Bright Star is. I won't deny that I had a wonderful and uplifting time with Bright Stars, but I definitely disagree with Isherwood's statement that the premise of theatre is to entertain. Art as I understand it is an expression and device for communication. Of course it's my personal opinions and anyone is entitled to theirs.

Updated On: 3/24/16 at 10:47 PM

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#27BRIGHT STAR Reviews
Posted: 3/24/16 at 10:47pm

Wow, I was not expecting such harsh reviews; Bright Star deserve to be treated like the next Lennon or Brooklyn or Dr Z. Sure there were some book problems, but musicals that were far worse this season (Amazing Grace, Disaster and even Allegiance- which to be far was just worse and not far worse) got passes from most critics while Bright Star took a drubbing. Guess I better get back to the Cort a few more times before this one closes up shop. 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#28BRIGHT STAR Reviews
Posted: 3/24/16 at 11:06pm

Dancingthrulife2 said: "I was hoping that it wouldn't get trashed, so it's good to hear some good reviews. But I honestly don't think it's a "critic's pick" level show. Or at least "critic's pick" should at least be a little more sophisticated than what Bright Star is. I won't deny that I had a wonderful and uplifting time with Bright Stars, but I definitely disagree with Isherwood's statement that the premise of theatre is to entertain. Art as I understand it is an expression and device for communication. Of course it's my personal opinions and anyone is entitled to theirs."

There can be a lot of beauty in simplicity, and a lack of "sophistication" does not equate to a lack of craftsmanship. 

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#29BRIGHT STAR Reviews
Posted: 3/24/16 at 11:12pm

Another notch on the gun handle.

Poster Emeritus

10086sunset
#30BRIGHT STAR Reviews
Posted: 3/24/16 at 11:20pm

Anyone else fear a closing notice could come at any time?

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#31BRIGHT STAR Reviews
Posted: 3/24/16 at 11:24pm

Could?

Dead Man Walking

Poster Emeritus

pupscotch
GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#33BRIGHT STAR Reviews
Posted: 3/25/16 at 12:00am

WhizzerMarvin said: "Wow, I was not expecting such harsh reviews; Bright Star deserve to be treated like the next Lennon or Brooklyn or Dr Z. Sure there were some book problems, but musicals that were far worse this season (Amazing Grace, Disaster and even Allegiance- which to be far was just worse and not far worse) got passes from most critics while Bright Star took a drubbing. Guess I better get back to the Cort a few more times before this one closes up shop. 

"

I'm confused. You're saying Bright Star deserves to be treated as the next Brooklyn or Dr. Z (which suffered from short-lived and quite sad runs) but you were not expecting such harsh reviews? I'm assuming a typo but I'm just making sure I'm deliriously reading this wrong. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#34BRIGHT STAR Reviews
Posted: 3/25/16 at 12:06am

^i think whizzer was saying bright star deserved reviews similar to Dr. Z and Brooklyn, but instead it got reviews worse than amazing grace, allegiance and disaster. Even though they were(are) far worse than bright star.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#35BRIGHT STAR Reviews
Posted: 3/25/16 at 12:41am

Hate to say it, but it's looking like it won't be long before the Cort is vacant again. I predict it closes mid-May/early June.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#36BRIGHT STAR Reviews
Posted: 3/25/16 at 12:44am

Yeah, I forgot a very important word in that sentence! Bright Star didn't deserve to be treated...

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#37BRIGHT STAR Reviews
Posted: 3/25/16 at 12:47am

Also, does Isherwood ever not name anything a Critics' Pick anymore? This isn't to say Bright Star doesn't deserve this honor, but from Isherwood these days, it seems to hold little meaning to me.

Updated On: 3/25/16 at 12:47 AM

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#38BRIGHT STAR Reviews
Posted: 3/25/16 at 1:06am

Why not give it a pick if he liked the show?  Does there have to be a limit? His review made my evening.

I think the key word for this musical is simplicity. It is evident that some critics were not into the country/bluegrass aspect of the show and simple storytelling,  so they were not going to like it right off the bat. The word hokum used showed that and what is wrong with a sappy happy ending? I was one of those who had tears in their eyes at the end. I do hope to see it again and cannot wait for the recording.  JMO

Just give the world Love.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#39BRIGHT STAR Reviews
Posted: 3/25/16 at 6:21am

Did He Like It? Put the reviews right down the middle: two thumbs up, two thumbs down and one on the fence.

http://www.didhelikeit.com/shows/bright-star-broadway-review.html

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#40BRIGHT STAR Reviews
Posted: 3/25/16 at 7:17am

uncageg said: "Was afraid of these reviews. A few are good so far. One suggest yo just get the So Familiar cd.  A number of the songs on thecd are in the show.

The cast album has already been recorded. It will be released 4/29 digitally and 5/27 physical cd.

....but the world goes 'round

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#41BRIGHT STAR Reviews
Posted: 3/25/16 at 7:23am

tazber said: "uncageg said: "Was afraid of these reviews. A few are good so far. One suggest yo just get the So Familiar cd.  A number of the songs on thecd are in the show.

The cast album has already been recorded. It will be released 4/29 digitally and 5/27 physical cd.

I know. Can't wait!

"

Just give the world Love.

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#42BRIGHT STAR Reviews
Posted: 3/25/16 at 7:30am

TFMH18 said: "A bonafide RAVE from the Times. Well, I'm thrilled! And couldn't agree more. Simplicity does not equate to subpar art

^^

Bravo!

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

JM226
#43BRIGHT STAR Reviews
Posted: 3/25/16 at 7:43am

how is NY Times and its reviews still relevant in 2016???  

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#44BRIGHT STAR Reviews
Posted: 3/25/16 at 8:13am

Let's not underestimate a NY Times review either. No, it can't close a show overnight with a bad notice the way it used to, but it still has a large theatre readership and can influence box office more than most reviews.

Will a good review in the Times help a show? Will a bad one hurt? Yes, absolutely. Will it make or break a show? No. 

But this message board is full of posters prone to extremes, and can't think in degrees of effectiveness. It's all or nothing here.

The Times my not be all-powerful, but it is still relevant. It's the extreme comments here that aren't.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 3/25/16 at 08:13 AM

GreasedLightning
#45BRIGHT STAR Reviews
Posted: 3/25/16 at 8:20am

JM226 said: "how is NY Times and its reviews still relevant in 2016???  

"

How are you and your bad grammar still relevant in 2016?

GreasedLightning
#46BRIGHT STAR Reviews
Posted: 3/25/16 at 8:22am

WhizzerMarvin said: "Yeah, I forgot a very important word in that sentence! Bright Star didn't deserve to be treated...

"

A-ha! I figured. Just wanted to double check because I agree with your statement but wanted to make sure I wasn't reading it incorrectly. 

neonlightsxo
#47BRIGHT STAR Reviews
Posted: 3/25/16 at 9:12am

The AP review is amazing. and 100% the way I felt.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/review-bright-star-is-cliche-ridden-over-eager-show/2016/03/24/d3293712-f230-11e5-a2a3-d4e9697917d1_story.html

best12bars, how'd that work for Side Show & Honeymoon in Vegas? Updated On: 3/25/16 at 09:12 AM

massofmen
#48BRIGHT STAR Reviews
Posted: 3/25/16 at 9:46am

The nytimes doesn't nearly have the power it used to. Mainly because there are so many other reviews now and that it's picks are often pretty bad. Again I go back to moving honeymoon in Vegas in from papermill and it losing its entire investment. 

Am I not mistaken in the nytimes giving wicked a tepid to bad review? Yes it has readership but word of mouth is everything now

.reviews either embolden an already well selling show or hurt an already poor selling show. Other than that it's just fodder for message boards. 

JM226
#49BRIGHT STAR Reviews
Posted: 3/25/16 at 10:11am

THIS ^^^^^^

Videos