AMERICAN PSYCHO Reviews

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#25AMERICAN PSYCHO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/16 at 8:51pm

Please keep in mind that the original novel didn't get instant acclaim, and neither did the film adaptation.

JM226
#26AMERICAN PSYCHO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/16 at 8:52pm

Wouldn't call Deadline a pan but very, very negative: http://deadline.com/2016/04/american-psycho-benjamin-walker-broadway-review-1201741765/

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#27AMERICAN PSYCHO Reviews

You think ? 

I never had any respect for them and have not changed my opinion based on tonight.

Poster Emeritus

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#28AMERICAN PSYCHO Reviews

amNY is mixed to negative:

"Notwithstanding all this, the piece has serious structural problems. It revolves around an unsympathetic character who shows little desire and has no real motivation to break into song. The momentum of the storytelling is often interrupted by Bateman’s self-absorbed musings. It also ends on an unapologetically depressing note.

Duncan Sheik’s electronic, often dissonant score has a monotonous feel, which may explain why a few ’80s pop hits have been thrown in. I came away feeling that “American Psycho” works better as a drama with background music instead of a fully-blown musical."

http://www.amny.com/entertainment/american-psycho-review-benjamin-walker-in-a-bloody-affair-1.11718008

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#29AMERICAN PSYCHO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/16 at 8:53pm

Mr Roxy said: "Looks like the critics did to it what he did to his victims. Being a smash in London means nothing to our astute (not) critics."

To be fair this did not receive across the board RAVES in London either.

I'm disappointed so far...I was really hoping for excellent reviews on this one. 

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Sunny11
#30AMERICAN PSYCHO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/16 at 8:55pm

Benjamin Walker is getting mostly good reviews though , could he get the Tony nod?

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#31AMERICAN PSYCHO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/16 at 8:59pm

Sunny11 said: "Benjamin Walker is getting mostly good reviews though , could he get the Tony nod?"

He should already have one for BLOODY BLOODY so I hope so. 

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#32AMERICAN PSYCHO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/16 at 8:59pm

Mixed so far.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

JM226
#33AMERICAN PSYCHO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/16 at 9:01pm

songanddanceman2 said: "Mixed so far.

"

LOL. You're being very kind. It's more negative than mixed or positive. I've ready every single review thus far 

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#34AMERICAN PSYCHO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/16 at 9:04pm

Yah some of these ones you're labeling as mixed are more negative with one or two nice things to say.

songanddanceman2
#35AMERICAN PSYCHO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/16 at 9:04pm

It's got a few positive, a few mixed and a few negative. 

hedwigbway Profile Photo
hedwigbway
#36AMERICAN PSYCHO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/16 at 9:07pm

I loved the show but I wasn't expecting raves. I could definitely see some snobs turning their nose up at this. 

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#38AMERICAN PSYCHO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/16 at 9:11pm

"Either way, Bateman’s [...] shallow girlfriend Evelyn (Helene Yorke, vivid), and Evelyn’s backstabbing bestie Courtney (an impressive Morgan Weed)." Nice pull quotes, very deserved. I'm much more interested in what reviewers have to say about the actors than the show. I know the show is good, a masterpiece, really, but it's far more interesting to see how they liked the performances. 

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

songanddanceman2
#39AMERICAN PSYCHO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/16 at 9:11pm

Legit because you said? Got it. Plus that one you posted is incredibly mixed to positive.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#40AMERICAN PSYCHO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/16 at 9:17pm

"Incredibly" mixed to positive? Ok.  That seems like an oxymoron.

BOM  Profile Photo
BOM
#41AMERICAN PSYCHO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/16 at 9:26pm

Was really hoping this was gonna get great reviews, can't say I'm not surprised though. It's very different from your typical Broadway musical.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#42AMERICAN PSYCHO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/16 at 9:27pm

Pull quotes don't validate art, but they do sell a show. This one needs some persuasive ones.  And probably the Times. Which it might still get. 

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

Sunny11
#43AMERICAN PSYCHO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/16 at 9:33pm

Unless pull quotes are framed out of context they are valid reviews. The ones the OP mentioned where genuine praise for the actresses. How are they not valid? 

Updated On: 4/21/16 at 09:33 PM

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#44AMERICAN PSYCHO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/16 at 9:37pm

I think we've seen that its really word of mouth that fuels a hit on Broadway these days.  AMERICAN PSYCHO was always going to be a love it / hate it experience.  I think the trick to it holding on isn't necessarily getting raves (though great pull quotes help) -- its that the musical needs to continue to be a strong water cooler talking point.  In other words, it needs to be a situation of: 'love it or hate it, you HAVE to see it.' 

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

songanddanceman2
#45AMERICAN PSYCHO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/16 at 10:07pm

Mixed to positive 

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/theater/american-psycho-review-benjamin-walker-terrific-in-musical-1.11718786

kingfan011
#46AMERICAN PSYCHO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/16 at 10:07pm

It baffles me how critics keep mentioning how the move an now musical play up the humor and satire aspects more than the book. The book was always hysterical and always disturbing while being a vicious satire. it just flew over a lot of people's heads which is odd because its easy to understand the book

songanddanceman2
#47AMERICAN PSYCHO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/16 at 10:11pm

Mixed http://www.theguardian.com/stage/2016/apr/21/american-psycho-review-patrick-bateman-sings-strips-and-slashes

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge

Videos