pixeltracker

Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton- Page 2

Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton

Broadway Forever2
#25Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton
Posted: 6/16/16 at 1:04pm

Oh my gosh the producers actually took the videos down! I didn't think they would actually do that. The students will be pissed... 

¿Macavity?
#26Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton
Posted: 6/16/16 at 2:26pm

This is no way to "ask permission" to do a show. I'm honestly shocked by this. People (especially Lin) spend years writing musicals and those musicals are often disrespected by unauthorized versions. I don't mean to sound so hateful to those talented kids, but it's just not right. Like I said, people spend YEARS writing musicals (unless they're Kender & Ebb) and schools should be able to respect that.

VintageSnarker
#27Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton
Posted: 6/16/16 at 5:06pm

gypsy101 said: I think that video is supposed to be like a parody.

I know. But I was pointing out that this Toronto school actually cast all Caucasian actresses for the Schuyler sisters.

Sondheimite Profile Photo
Sondheimite
#28Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton
Posted: 6/16/16 at 5:12pm

I used to work at Walt Disney World.  And new Cast Members would come in and complain about how entitled kids were.  I would tell them, "wait until you start focusing on their parents."

These kids feel entitled to perform Hamilton because they are talented enough to perform it, as was evidenced in the video, and because they love Hamilton.  They are validated in this entitlement from their teacher who allowed and encouraged it, knowing that it was illegal.  Entitlement trickles down from the top most of the time.  I don't blame the kids as much as I do the adults who told them and taught them that this is okay.  Kids aren't suppose to know how the world works... they are supposed to be taught.  

I am talented enough and love Hedwig and the Angry Inch. But when my rights were denied due to the tour, I sighed, said okay, and canceled work on the production of the piece that I was working on until the tour is over or I am granted the rights to the show.  I already have my libretto and all the elements to physically perform the show and would save about $4000 by doing it without the rights to the show.  But I'm not going to do that.  Because I do not feel entitled to someone else art without their permission AND without PAYING THEM FOR IT.  I was taught this process, early on, from teacher and theaters who would never in a million years allow an illegal performance to take place.  Kids have to be taught.  

I would encourage these kids, as they are obviously talented, to go out and create their own works to perform rather than thinking that they are worthy of something just because "they want to."

EDIT:
This happened at an ART SCHOOL?!  This didn't happen at some.. public school somewhere with an English teacher shoehorned into also teaching drama... this happened at a high school for the performing arts?  There is literally no excuse for that because you know that they know better.

Broadway World's Fireman.
Updated On: 6/16/16 at 05:12 PM

Broadway Forever2
#29Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton
Posted: 6/16/16 at 5:16pm

VintageSnarker said: "gypsy101 said: I think that video is supposed to be like a parody.

I know. But I was pointing out that this Toronto school actually cast all Caucasian actresses for the Schuyler sisters.

"

You know I don't have a problem with high school casting white actors in major roles because high schools are limited in the pool of kids but I found it odd that almost all of the male characters were non-Caucasian but all 3 of the sisters were lol. 

Showface
#30Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton
Posted: 6/16/16 at 5:55pm

I really hope amateur/school rights to Hamilton are never released to anyone, to be honest.

Everything about Hamilton, as it stands now meshes perfectly. The direction matches the writting, which matches the casting, which matches the choreography.

If amateur production rights get released, the uniqueness and diversity won't be there, and it won't be Hamilton. It will be "School House Rock: The Founding Fathers Hip-Hop!"

Updated On: 6/16/16 at 05:55 PM

Showface
#31Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton
Posted: 6/16/16 at 5:57pm

This show choir basically did all of Act 1:

https://youtu.be/tJ-Dw3iWZk0

Broadway Forever2
#32Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton
Posted: 6/16/16 at 6:05pm

Showface said: "This show choir basically did all of Act 1:

"

Lol  They did a pretty good job though but how is this allowed? I hope people aren't paying for this because it seems illegal. 

Updated On: 6/16/16 at 06:05 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#33Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton
Posted: 6/16/16 at 6:12pm

It is illegal.  Doesn't matter if they charge admission. 

Lin has already said t hat he expects that when the R&R are finally released, he fully expects to not only have white kids play the parts, but also girls playing some of the men's parts.

He does not require In the Heights to be played only by Latinos. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Phantom4ever
#34Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton
Posted: 6/17/16 at 1:37am

Yeah apparently the Toronto school's videos were taken down from youtube due to a copyright claim from SRMR.  I wonder if that is the name of one of the producers' companies, or perhaps their lawyers?  Just curious. 

Phantom4ever
#35Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton
Posted: 6/17/16 at 1:48am

From the looks of these pictures, it seems that it may have been more than just a couple numbers from Hamilton that were produced at Wexford. 

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wexford-Collegiate-School-for-the-Arts/111954675487482?fref=ts

This article takes a strong stance on the situation: 

http://www.artsintegrity.org/canadian-high-school-tries-too-hard-to-get-rights-to-hamilton/

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#36Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton
Posted: 6/17/16 at 4:02am

"

It is painful how white these children are. I only watched the opening number, I didn't like how they made Hamilton a matinee idol along the lines of Zac Efron. I liked the girl who was vaguely Betsy-like singing Eliza's line.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Phantom4ever
#37Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton
Posted: 6/17/16 at 8:17am

This facebook page is run by someone who is the "School Council Chair" at Wexford HS and he posted an album entitled "WPA Hamilton at Spring Showcase, Matinee and Evening Show"  https://www.facebook.com/wexfordwk/media_set?set=a.1090830554289755.1073741881.100000884616727&type=3&pnref=stor

Broadway Forever2
#38Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton
Posted: 6/17/16 at 8:22am

Yeah it really seems like they put on a full show or at least most of the numbers which is just so dumb and illegal. I mean they are a freaking preforming arts high school. They should know this isn't legal. The producers should really sue them. I wonder who took the videos down, the producers or the school to take away proof? 

Updated On: 6/17/16 at 08:22 AM

Liza's Headband
#39Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton
Posted: 6/17/16 at 8:51am

If you actually took the time to read someone else's post only a few before you, he/she said the videos were taken down due to a copyright infringement claim. That means the videos were taken down by YouTube, not the school....

dramamama611
#40Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton
Posted: 6/17/16 at 9:06am

Wow, that takes some balls to have stage the entire thing.  Shame on them, indeed.   

You Tube seldom takes things down on their own accord for copyrite.....I'm sure the producers has much to do with it.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Liza's Headband
#41Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton
Posted: 6/17/16 at 9:09am

Someone was asking if the school or someone else took it down. I simply said YouTube took it down since there is a copyright infringement claim posted in lieu of the video. I didn't say who requested that YouTube take it down. Read the previous posts more closely, please. 

Drewski Vanderbilt Profile Photo
Drewski Vanderbilt
#42Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton
Posted: 6/17/16 at 10:08am

In order for a school to be the first to perform a show, the liscensing company needs to come to them, the company's choose which schools perform it. Not the other way around. I know this because my school was the first school to ever produce Peter and the Starcatcher, MTI personally called our director asking us to be the first, doing your own illegal version is not a way or an attempted way to get to perform first. So really, they are just producing an illegal version of hamilton with the idealistic hope of Being the first to perform Hamilton.

http://current.mnsun.com/2016/01/20/edina-first-high-school-in-nation-to-perform-peter-and-the-starcatcher/

Updated On: 6/17/16 at 10:08 AM

Liza's Headband
#43Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton
Posted: 6/17/16 at 10:20am

Yes, I think it's safe to say we all understand that. You're preaching to the choir. 

dramamama611
#44Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton
Posted: 6/17/16 at 10:22am

And no, that's not ALWAYS how its done.   MTI is pretty big with their hand chosed try outs, but not everyone else does.

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#45Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton
Posted: 6/17/16 at 10:28am

"

I can't put my finger on why I thought this was so horribly bad. There were a lot of good elements; tons of enthusiasm, the vocals were good, the choreography wasn't very good, but I'm usually able to get past that  with show choirs because they're show choirs.

Everything about this video still looked and felt like Waiting For Guffman

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#46Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton
Posted: 6/17/16 at 10:59am

Hamilton's press agent flagged it and then Youtube took it down.
This article about it is pretty funny.  The school doesn't understand why?!

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
Justin_
#48Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton
Posted: 6/17/16 at 6:19pm

Looking at the school's twitter account a bit more deeply and clearly they weren't trying to 'ask' permission months ago: https://twitter.com/WPA_TO/status/705123770080440320 

Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton

Lots of clips of their original performances too:

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#49Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton
Posted: 6/17/16 at 6:39pm

what a bunch of idiots

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Videos