pixeltracker

Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton

Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton

Justin_
#1Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton
Posted: 6/15/16 at 5:32pm

Came across a news story of a Toronto high school's performances of a few songs from Hamilton in their effort to become the first high school to perform Hamilton... though clearly that is not happening any time soon... 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/scarborough-school-seeks-permission-to-perform-broadway-hit-hamilton-1.3635701

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton
Posted: 6/15/16 at 6:40pm

OK....the effort is pretty foolish, but the videos themselves are pretty darn good and filmed VERY nicely.

I'll agree with the commenter, that I'm surprised an arts school would produce an "unauthorized" version.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#3Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton
Posted: 6/15/16 at 6:49pm

Okay, so they're an EXTREMELY talented group of kids. But I don't think we'll be seeing Hamilton Jr. presented any time soon.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#4Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton
Posted: 6/15/16 at 6:54pm

oncemorewithfeeling2 said: "Okay, so they're an EXTREMELY talented group of kids. But I don't think we'll be seeing Hamilton Jr. presented any time soon.

"

They light actually do just that. Release a Hamilton Jr, maybe not the full show, but a JR. Version would sell nicely. The lion king released a Jr. version not that long ago.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#5Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton
Posted: 6/15/16 at 6:57pm

The Lion King also didn't win the Tony 3 days ago. I would not be surprised if a school or junior version is released at some point when the show is still running, but I don't think that's the route they plan on pursuing right now.

Liza's Headband
#6Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton
Posted: 6/15/16 at 7:10pm

Once again Jorge proves he doesn't use his brain before posting. There are no discussions of licensing, neither professional nor educational nor amateur, HAMILTON at this point in time. Period. Full stop. I haven't watched the videos but if they framed the musical numbers as unauthorized dramatic presentations (also known as "dramatico work"Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton and then published recordings of said performances for mass consumption, the full force of HAMILTON's legal team should be applied to this school and its administration. Completely unacceptable. Period. Full stop. 

dramamama611
#7Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton
Posted: 6/15/16 at 7:17pm

Jorge didn't make it up, it's IN the article.   THEY said they want to be the first group to be licensed.   Of course, it's unrealistic, but it didn't come from Jorge.  Sheesh.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Phantom4ever
#8Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton
Posted: 6/15/16 at 7:20pm

It is so disappointed to read the teacher's comments in the article. I direct musicals at my high school as well, and the ONLY shows my students EVER want to talk about producing are Wicked or Lion King and now Hamilton. They have no idea about licensing and copyright and I have to teach it to them and then the understand. But every year, new kids join and the Wicked/Lion King/Hamilton discussion is had again. 

This teacher apparently did the exact opposite and said oh you want to do a show? The hell with artistic ownership; if you want a piece of art, just take it!  So sad.  

Phantom4ever
#9Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton
Posted: 6/15/16 at 7:36pm

Wow the teacher also had the nerve to say that since it's too expensive to see the official production, then what else are the kids supposed to do but make their own illegal version?  And she has a lawyer in New York to talk to Hamilton's producers????

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/06/15/hamilton-toronto-high-school_n_10487402.html

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#10Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton
Posted: 6/15/16 at 7:52pm

I don't know, you guys - remember a few years ago that school in the Bronx that was staging an illegal production of Chicago (if I remember correctly their drama teacher had decided to "just copy the movie" and said he didn't know you had to get permission from anyone in order to stage a show) and Samuel French tried to shut it down, but then it hit the press as boo hoo, poor kids having their show shut down by big bad Broadway, and city council members said they were going to protest in front of Chicago's theatre because how dare the producers try and enforce their ownership, and so because of public backlash Sam French had to let the high school's illegal production go on?

Maybe that's the way of securing rights to shows these days - make your poor children just want to do a show case in the media, and make people who own the rights let you do your illegal show. 

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#11Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton
Posted: 6/15/16 at 8:04pm

Is it illegal? Yup.  Will that stop schools or other groups from doing their versions? Nope. How many unlicensed productions of Newsies were being done? ( till Disney remounted it as a legitimate Bway show and now has an official licenced version)  This teacher is obviously trying to promote her career in the arts school sphere. Like a  CANADIAN school would ever be the 1st licence for a piece of Americana and a bestseller.

This is just as unlikely for the same reasons:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/theatre-and-performance/mirvish-in-discussions-to-bring-hamilton-musical-to-toronto/article30379557/

But hey all Press is good Press.

adam.peterson44 Profile Photo
adam.peterson44
#12Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton
Posted: 6/15/16 at 8:16pm

You don't think a sit-down production would happen in Toronto because the show is "a piece of Americana and a bestseller"?  That doesn't make any sense.  The article already says that the Chicago and London productions will happen first, so it is not the order of productions that is in question here, but whether a professional sit-down production will happen at all.  It seems like an inevitability that there will be a Toronto sit-down of Hamilton.  Kinky Boots had an 8-month sit-down production there, and that show was not nearly as outlandishly popular as Hamilton.  War Horse, Billy Elliott, and others have also sustained sit-downs of close to one year in Toronto.  Hamilton can easily run there for longer than a year.

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#13Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton
Posted: 6/15/16 at 8:27pm

Extended tours do well enough in Toronto. But full locally produced/cast shows don't do as well. Mirvish mounted both Hairspray & Producers at the same time and couldn't sustain. Both closed far sooner than any one would have guessed.  Mirvish said latter there just wasn't the volume to maintain 2 such large & expensive shows.( exchange rate figures into the licensing $$$$)  Toronto is sited between Chicago & New York and most visitors will go there 1st., Toronto would simply cannibalize those cities attendees .  Oh and they were practically giving away Kinky tkts ( Gentleman's guide as well) b4 they left.

LLJ3
#14Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton
Posted: 6/15/16 at 9:15pm

I watched the Yorktown video a few hours ago and saw a comment saying that it was illegal (from someone on this board, maybe?). That comment is gone now. I guess only comments praising the videos are allowed. SMH.

Not the first and won't be the last case though. This video of Satisfied from an Indonesian high school has over 143,000 views -- those kids clearly saw a bootleg and copied the staging. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zTXJCQv_cg

Updated On: 6/15/16 at 09:15 PM

Broadway Forever2
#15Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton
Posted: 6/15/16 at 9:34pm

LLJ3 said: "I watched the Yorktown video a few hours ago and saw a comment saying that it was illegal (from someone on this board, maybe?). That comment is gone now. I guess only comments praising the videos are allowed. SMH.

Not the first and won't be the last case though. This video of Satisfied from an Indonesian high school has over 143,000 views -- those kids clearly saw a bootleg and copied the staging. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zTXJCQv_cg

"

Yeah I saw that. It was so obvious that they saw a bootleg and copied the staging. I'm kinda mad that it's so popular lol.  I remember in the comments they were mentioning recreating the whole show and posting it but someone told them it was illegal and I think they deleted those comments. I mean it's great that kids are so passionate about the show but they have to understand that what they're doing isn't legal. I feel if this keeps happening the producers will start suing people to make an example. But I guess they might be afraid of the bad publicity of shutting down a high school show. 

I think it's even more common with Hamilton than it was with Wicked for instance because Hamilton is seen a a more "cool" show but still appropriate for high schools and Wicked bootlegs weren't as easily accessible during the height of the popularity as Hamilton bootlegs are. 

Updated On: 6/15/16 at 09:34 PM

BroadwayMan5
#16Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton
Posted: 6/15/16 at 9:37pm

Anakela said: "I don't know, you guys - remember a few years ago that school in the Bronx that was staging an illegal production of Chicago (if I remember correctly their drama teacher had decided to "just copy the movie" and said he didn't know you had to get permission from anyone in order to stage a show) and Samuel French tried to shut it down, but then it hit the press as boo hoo, poor kids having their show shut down by big bad Broadway, and city council members said they were going to protest in front of Chicago's theatre because how dare the producers try and enforce their ownership, and so because of public backlash Sam French had to let the high school's illegal production go on?

Maybe that's the way of securing rights to shows these days - make your poor children just want to do a show case in the media, and make people who own the rights let you do your illegal show. 

"

I was not familiar with that story but that makes me so mad to read it. Performance rights are a hardship financially for many schools even for the classics. It drives me crazy that some schools skirt the rules. What is that teaching students? And any director who "doesn't know" you have to pay for rights to a musical is too idiotic to be directing a musical

VintageSnarker
#17Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton
Posted: 6/15/16 at 10:22pm

I'll give them credit for at least not doing this. Well, at least... not entirely. Really? Schuyler sisters?

Gymfan15
#18Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton
Posted: 6/15/16 at 10:55pm

The frustrating thing is that Hamilton JR. is likely going to be fast-tracked to schools because of how passionate Miranda is about getting this show in the hands of the kids...I fully expect to see an educational version licensed within two years or so. That's really soon for a Broadway show that is probably going to be running professionally for a long, long time. Kids who are starting high-school now will probably still be in high school when the rights are released. All you need to do is WAIT for it.

But sure, if you're really impatient, go ahead and rip off art. It's insulting to all the people who are waiting patiently to see the PROFESSIONAL version, and to all the high school kids who are desperately wanting to do this show but are waiting for licensing.

And also not to be rude, but Canada? C'mon. 

Broadway Forever2
#19Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton
Posted: 6/15/16 at 11:02pm

Gymfan15 said: "

"

Yeah that's what I find funniest. They really think a Canadian school will be the first to receive the rights? 

Look ok I love how passionate some high schoolers are about this show but some of these kids need to calm down and realize they can't have everything. Putting on an unauthorized version of a show just because you feel like it seems so entitled. 

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#20Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton
Posted: 6/16/16 at 1:48am

VintageSnarker said: "I'll give them credit for at least not doing this. Well, at least... not entirely. Really? Schuyler sisters?"

I think that video is supposed to be like a parody.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

dramamama611
#21Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton
Posted: 6/16/16 at 4:21am

Well, at least it's not just Americans that are entitled.   

No, this will not be available within a few years, not even close. Miranda has made comments about that, it won't happen for a good number of years.  I still cant understand why School of Rock did it.

I actually wish the licensing companies would make a bigger deal out of those that skirt the issue.  It's their own fault, for letting things slide.

Liza's Headband
#22Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton
Posted: 6/16/16 at 9:09am

Gymfan15 said: "The frustrating thing is that Hamilton JR. is likely going to be fast-tracked to schools because of how passionate Miranda is about getting this show in the hands of the kids...I fully expect to see an educational version licensed within two years or so. That's really soon for a Broadway show that is probably going to be running professionally for a long, long time. Kids who are starting high-school now will probably still be in high school when the rights are released. All you need to do is WAIT for it.

But sure, if you're really impatient, go ahead and rip off art. It's insulting to all the people who are waiting patiently to see the PROFESSIONAL version, and to all the high school kids who are desperately wanting to do this show but are waiting for licensing.

"

No. Not even close. Maybe try doubling or tripling that number. 

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#23Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton
Posted: 6/16/16 at 9:54am

BroadwayMan5 said: "
I was not familiar with that story but that makes me so mad to read it. Performance rights are a hardship financially for many schools even for the classics. It drives me crazy that some schools skirt the rules. What is that teaching students? And any director who "doesn't know" you have to pay for rights to a musical is too idiotic to be directing a musical

"

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/10/theater/10musi.html?_r=0

"The school's drama teacher, Anthony Cerrini, 24, had decided to stage "Chicago." He found some dialogue on the Internet, transcribed some of it from the 2002 movie starring Catherine Zeta-Jones and Renée Zellweger, and wrote some of it himself.

At the news conference, Mr. Cerrini took responsibility and said that he had never been told about the need for an application."

But in the end they got permission to do their illegal show.

dramamama611
#24Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton
Posted: 6/16/16 at 10:30am

Ok, I realize this Chicago issue is some ten years old....but, how does a DRAMA TEACHER not know you have to pay rights and royalties for a show?   The principal stated that he doesn't know of them EVER paying for permission to produce a show?   OY.  

The article is wrong too in stating that to put on any BROADWAY show permission needs to be granted along with fees.  It has nothing to do with Broadway.   There are only two reasons you don't need permission: public domain and original work.  Even someone else's published adaptation of something in public domain needs permission!  

(Although, I'm sure most of us here know this.)

Broadway Forever2
#25Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton
Posted: 6/16/16 at 1:04pm

Oh my gosh the producers actually took the videos down! I didn't think they would actually do that. The students will be pissed... 

Videos