Thank you, Bright Star

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#25Thank you, Bright Star
Posted: 6/26/16 at 9:36pm

Saw it during previews and thought it was a lovely, well told story and the obvious direction the story was going didn't bother me in the least.  I thought the whole production was just wonderful and I'm sad it didn't find its audience.  I think they closed it too soon but business is business.  Looking forward to the next Carmen Cusack project as she was the Bright Star.

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

loliveve Profile Photo
loliveve
#26Thank you, Bright Star
Posted: 6/26/16 at 9:40pm

I adored this show. I went to it knowing nothing, other than who the score was written by, and left with a smile on my face and absolute joy.  It was engaging, and the cast was phenomenal.  So sad that more people didn't give this show a chance.

valerie3058 Profile Photo
valerie3058
#27Thank you, Bright Star
Posted: 6/27/16 at 12:23am

I love this thread so so much. 

I walked into this show for the 1st time on my birthday (Saturday March 5th) knowing and expecting nothing and walked out with tunes in my head and a smile on my face. I couldn't resist the TodayTix deals so I saw it the next two Saturdays in a row. I can only daydream about the power and emotion through Carmen's last "At Last." I saw it the 1st time with my sister (who has not been wowed at any show I've taken her to before). She openly weeped during I Had a Vision. I hope it gets regional love and Carmen and the rest of the cast get back on Broadway soon. 

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#28Thank you, Bright Star
Posted: 6/27/16 at 7:25am

valerie3058 said: "I love this thread so so much. 

I walked into this show for the 1st time on my birthday (Saturday March 5th) knowing and expecting nothing and walked out with tunes in my head and a smile on my face. I couldn't resist the TodayTix deals so I saw it the next two Saturdays in a row. I can only daydream about the power and emotion through Carmen's last "At Last." I saw it the 1st time with my sister (who has not been wowed at any show I've taken her to before). She openly weeped during I Had a Vision. I hope it gets regional love and Carmen and the rest of the cast get back on Broadway soon. 
"

I was teary eyed when they sang the song "I Had a Vision" too. May I ask how you chose to watch this musical on March 5th? How did you first hear about it? I only ask because I live here in NYC yet for some reason the first time I heard about the musical is from the Tony nominations. I know I know... i must live in a rock but a lot of my theater watching friends also never heard fo the musical until Tony noms in early May (we don't work in the theater industry but are young professionals who appreciate musical theater.)

ashk8177
#29Thank you, Bright Star
Posted: 6/27/16 at 8:06am

ChiTheaterFan said: "ashk8177 said: "It is really nice and refreshing to a positive thread like this. Not one snarky or rude comment to be found. Any disagreements were voiced politely and respectfully, I love it. Thanks guys (-: 

"

You must have missed post #11. 

But otherwise yes. :) I think this show brings out the positivity in people. 

Oops, I sure did. I guess it was drowned out by everyone else's warmth and positivity (:

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#30Thank you, Bright Star
Posted: 6/27/16 at 9:02am

I hadn't planned on seeing Bright Star, especially after not seeing it during its run at the Kennedy Center.  I'm glad I did.  Carmen Cusak was wonderful.  The only other time I had seen her perform was three years ago as Mother in Ragtime at Milwaukee Rep.  Like others, I figured out the reveal early on, but Auggie was right in saying, it was all about Alice Murphy's journey. The scene with her father in act two really took me off guard.  I just have to comment that her annunciation and diction throughout her performance was appreciated.  That being said, I barely made out any of the lyrics when the actress playing Lucy sang, Another Round.  So disappointing.  That's my only complaint.

It was so funny to see and hear the audience's reaction on Saturday afternoon when they realized Steve Martin was on stage with the band.  It was like we all got it at the same time!!

Sandra DeNise (Edna) was out on Saturday afternoon.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany
Updated On: 6/27/16 at 09:02 AM

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#31Thank you, Bright Star
Posted: 6/27/16 at 9:54am

Echoing ALL of the wonderful comments made in this thread.

Regarding Carmen Cusack, now that I've seen all of the Tony nominated performances, my belief is that she should have won the Award.  (Or at least tied with Cynthia).

I was corresponding with Auggie on FB last night - and he wrote the most beautiful description of why he felt the same way:  "She created this role and turned it into one of the most moving portraits of an American woman ever put on stage. She is luminous and heartbreaking without a whiff of sentimentality. Her 11 o'clock spot is up there with any of the greats. I came dangerously close to missing this, and I'm sad so many people who'd adore it will not get the chance."

As always, Auggie captures it perfectly.  And I couldn't agree more.  

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."
Updated On: 6/27/16 at 09:54 AM

slumdogdelaware Profile Photo
slumdogdelaware
#32Thank you, Bright Star
Posted: 6/27/16 at 9:56am

I'm so glad we at least have the recording for this musical. Damn I'm gonna miss this show.

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#33Thank you, Bright Star
Posted: 6/27/16 at 9:56am

And, yes, according to Carmen Cusack's husband - she is scheduled to perform at 54 Below some time in late July / early August.

I've not yet seen it on their calendar, but I'll be there front and center.  

I'm officially a fan and in awe of what she delivered on that stage.

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."
Updated On: 6/27/16 at 09:56 AM

Rhoda4 Profile Photo
Rhoda4
#34Thank you, Bright Star
Posted: 6/27/16 at 11:47am

I would like to add "Thank you, Bright Star"......   I saw the show on the 19th, and I feel blessed that I was able to see it.  It was a privilege. 

valerie3058 Profile Photo
valerie3058
#35Thank you, Bright Star
Posted: 6/27/16 at 2:20pm

Wick3 said: "valerie3058 said: "I love this thread so so much. 

"

I was teary eyed when they sang the song "I Had a Vision" too. May I ask how you chose to watch this musical on March 5th? How did you first hear about it? I only ask because I live here in NYC yet for some reason the first time I heard about the musical is from the Tony nominations. I know I know... i must live in a rock but a lot of my theater watching friends also never heard fo the musical until Tony noms in early May (we don't work in the theater industry but are young professionals who appreciate musical theater.)

I'm just a musical lover myself and I honestly first heard about the show through those little online banner ads on this site and Facebook. I decided to click the ad and check out their site. I went on YouTube and there's a video that has snippets of the music and the show from it's tryout at the Old Globe. I checked out Telecharge and saw that the tickets for the balcony were dirt cheap (39 bucks and it's a perfect view) and I wanted to go in the city and see a show  for my 22nd birthday. Usually I try to see something more familiar (If I didn't see this, I probably would've gotten tickets to either Avenue Q or tried the Standing Room for Book of Mormon), but I took a gamble and was so surprised how wonderful it was. 

ChiTheaterFan
#36Thank you, Bright Star
Posted: 6/27/16 at 3:36pm

Seeing all you guys talk about getting a little teary eyed makes me realize what I crier I am.  I was CRYING before she even opened her mouth yesterday.  Not just damp eyes.  Tears rolling down.  I used ALL THE TISSUES yesterday.  In fact, I'm getting weepy just thinking about it...

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#37Thank you, Bright Star
Posted: 6/27/16 at 8:36pm

I just have to say how happy this thread makes me. I saw the show a number of times from previews/opening night to yesterday and I fell absolutely in love a little more each time. Yesterday's performance was sad and heartbreaking and magical and joyful all at once. I'm sorry to see it go, but I'm excited to see what's next for that company. 

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#38Thank you, Bright Star
Posted: 6/30/16 at 11:18am

Ya know, that Huffington Post piece got me thinking. There has been so much talk about how the production boldly decided not to go with a "star" for Alice Murphy, opting to keep Carmen Cusack in the role. It was the right choice, as she was by all means born to play the role and she was utterly transcendent. 

However, I'm wondering why there wasn't an effort to get a name for either the role of Billy or Jimmy Ray. Neither are particularly strenuous roles and could have been played by an array of singer/actors, along the lines of Darren Criss or Nick Jonas (I'm not saying either of them would be right for the roles, just examples that come to mind). If they had had the draw of celebrity, audiences could have come for them, and gotten the gift of being simply blown away by Cusack.

Obviously this is completely moot now, but a thought I had.

Updated On: 6/30/16 at 11:18 AM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#39Thank you, Bright Star
Posted: 6/30/16 at 3:25pm

I only saw this once (its final Thursday) and have been sad ever since that that was the only time I saw it -- but I'm so glad I did. Yesterday I bought the cast recording and have played it twice through already, which is pretty rare for me.

Long live Bright Star! In some kind of format!

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#40Thank you, Bright Star
Posted: 6/30/16 at 4:04pm

I really enjoyed Bright Star too! 

i recently learned some Bway shows have video blogs to see the behind the scenes. Does anyone know whether anyone in Bright Star cast had any video blogs of the show?

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#41Thank you, Bright Star
Posted: 6/30/16 at 4:05pm

I don't think so. But there is this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cloW6dTEuNs

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

broadwayboy223
#42Thank you, Bright Star
Posted: 6/30/16 at 4:11pm

I'm praying someone bootleged this show! I was so upset I didn't have a chance to see it 

ChiTheaterFan
#43Thank you, Bright Star
Posted: 6/30/16 at 4:15pm

I started another thread on this but ICYMI here is the 54 below info. https://twitter.com/54below/status/748257940780556292

I am going August 9. 

As for the vlogs, if you check their Facebook site several cast and band members (including Carmen) did Facebook live segments. If you scroll through their page you should be able to find some. 

I told someone the other day this was my favorite show this year. Someone said "besides Hamilton right?"  I think in terms of pure enjoyment, this was my favorite. It made me happier than Hamilton and brought me more joy. Is it objectively better?  No. But I still love it so so much. I honestly have never been this sad about a show closing. 

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#44Thank you, Bright Star
Posted: 6/30/16 at 4:59pm

LizzieCurry said: "I don't think so. But there is this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cloW6dTEuNs
"

Thank you for this!!! It even shows the fiddler player in the show, Martha! :)

I agree... hopefully someone did do the bootleg .If not, I hope to watch a recording at LCT. 

Videos