Mr. Nowack
#26WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/28/16 at 6:06pm

WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread you party poopers

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

Liza's Headband
#27WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/28/16 at 6:29pm

Relax. A transfer is happening and you'll get your Cast Recording!

tgrabon2 Profile Photo
tgrabon2
#28WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/28/16 at 6:36pm

Count me in ! I've been looking forward to this for months.  We'll be there in Row B Seats 15-17. Please stop by and say Hello. 

timmmmmmmmy

tgrabon2 Profile Photo
tgrabon2
#29WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/28/16 at 10:02pm

Intermission. It's a stunning jewel box of a show filled with gorgeous ballads. Love it. 

timmmmmmmmy

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#30WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/28/16 at 10:04pm

How's Patti and Christine?? 

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#31WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/28/16 at 10:05pm

^awesome to hear.  Do you see this possibly being a broadway hit?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#32WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/28/16 at 10:24pm

Give us a full detailed review from your seat and predict the future success of this show based on act one of the first out of town tryout!!!!!!!

AnnieBlack
#33WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/28/16 at 10:26pm

Take a picture of Patti towards the end of the second act just to start the Patti/phone drama VERY early in the run wink

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#34WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/28/16 at 10:26pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Give us a full detailed review from your seat and predict the future success of this show based on act one of the first out of town tryout!!!!!!!

"

LOLOL.

TheSassySam Profile Photo
TheSassySam
#35WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/28/16 at 10:34pm

theaterdrew said: "I just hope this doesn't turn out to be a Women on the Verge scenario.

Me, too.  I made a special trip to see that and I'm making a special trip to see this.  If it turns out to be a total mess, I will officially consider myself to be a show jinx!

When are you arriving in Chicago? If it's before July 10, might as well go see Spongebob while it's in town. It's the next block over. 

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#36WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/28/16 at 10:35pm

Liza's Headband said: "Relax. A transfer is happening and you'll get your Cast Recording!"

WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#37WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/28/16 at 10:36pm

I'm so excited to hear good things, even if it's just act one!

Why are we still talking about Patti and pictures/phones? Have you not seen the dumpster fire that is Christine Ebersole's Twitter?

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

AnnieBlack
#38WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/28/16 at 10:39pm

I had a mental block on Ebersole's twitter / anti-vax positions. 2016 is going to be quite the year isn't it! 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#39WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread

I deleted Ebersole from my Facebook last year because that was just a daily hot box of crazy I couldn't handle and it just made me lose more and more respect for her with every passing day. 

I I haven't even looked to see if she was still spewing her insanity on Twitter. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#40WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread

Jordan Catalano said: "Give us a full detailed review from your seat and predict the future success of this show based on act one of the first out of town tryout!!!!!!!

"

Yes

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#41WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/28/16 at 10:40pm

Mr. Nowack said: "Liza's Headband said: "Relax. A transfer is happening and you'll get your Cast Recording!"

"

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#42WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/29/16 at 12:08am

Well, we finally have the musical that will have every gay man in New York City sleeping on the sidewalk for 96 hours to see! Frankel, Korie, Wright, Greif and of course Ms Ebersole and La LuPone give us everything we want and a few things we didn't even know we need. There is only one number per act that doesn't involve at least one of the leading ladies, and only LuPone and Ebersole receive solos (2 each) as well as 5(!!!!) duets. Act one ends with a thriller, chill-giver called "Face to Face" that has our two heroines planted in back to back 3/4 turn outs to the audience, I Will Never Leave You-ing one of their major musical motifs. 

The score is, in a word, smashing. It's smart, melodic, hauntingly gorgeous and the lyrics are sophisticated and witty. Patti gets some choice lyrics in her act two ballad, "Now You Know" in which she gets to nouveau riche pretender with return to sender. In this same number the music keeps swelling and building with Patti reaching maximum belting capacity and then right when you think she's going to Rainbow High the last note from here to kingdom come she she hushes and floats a ppp note like she's Monserrat fricking Caballe. It's ballsy and stunning. 

Ebersole scores big with her 11 o'clock number called "Pink." Arden is the more restrained character, but Frankel and Korie finally let her pull down the mask here and she nails it. 

Catherine Zuber's costumes, ranging from the 1930s to the 60s are real winners; not a dime was spared creating these dresses and magnificent hats. The set is simple and could maybe be beefed up a little for Broadway, but I liked the impressionistic nature of it and the way lighting directed your attention around the stage. 

It's a little long, but I think that had to do more with pacing and scene changes than needing to cut stuff. 

All in all this show is in terrific shape, far better than half the musicals that make to Broadway on opening night. I really, really enjoyed it and look forward to seeing again in New York! 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#43WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/29/16 at 12:11am

Omfg..... This is exciting. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#44WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/29/16 at 12:18am

You've got me looking at flights haha.

Kbaum15
#45WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/29/16 at 12:25am

Seeing this on July 17th while in town for a conference. This thread is making me even more excited to see it!!

Almira Profile Photo
Almira
#46WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/29/16 at 12:28am

Just got back from the show.

My general impression is the authors are still trying to find the story they are telling.  The few but genuine sparks are when the two ladies  clash - while staying in their respective corners. They don't meet,  but they are always thinking of the other.  They imagine what they other is thinking, doing, plotting, stealing.. and the obsession informs what actions they take.  There is a lovely sentiment towards the end of Act One when the ladies are in need of a friend who understands, but they realize the only other person who would truly understand is her enemy. That mostly act one.

Act Two is more this happened, then this happened, then this happened -  no overarching dramatic tension.. and SPOILER BELOW:

The authors create a moment when the two ladies meet and have a bitchy moment, a talking shop moment, a reflective moment and sing about beauty and question their influence on women. 

The scene gave the audience a brief but superficial satisfaction.  I wish they had been more daring and stuck to the truth that the two women never met.  I think it would have been more emotionally challenging for the audience and just more interesting.

Ebersole shines as expected.  LuPone actually surprised me with her relatively less mannered performance.  There were times when she nailed Rubenstein..I always love seeing her perform, but this time her acting chops were not playing second fiddle to her singing.

Oh.. the title song and a song called Dinosaurs are strangely out of place.

I look forward to seeing how the show develops.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Updated On: 6/29/16 at 12:28 AM

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#47WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/29/16 at 12:39am

Thank you both for the early reports! Even if both of you came to different conclusions about the material, I am so excited about this. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#48WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/29/16 at 12:46am

Whizzer, you've made me so very happy with your review. La LuPone (perhaps my favorite Broadway diva, but why choose?) and Christine Ebsersole (who breaks my heart regularly through the Grey Gardens cast recording) together in a musical by Frankel and Korie (whose score to Far From Heaven and even Happiness are better than most other Broadway/Off-Broadway fair)? It seemed too good to be true. Like Women on the Verge (which I enjoy through the recording, but most agree could have been much better), I thought something had to go wrong. But now I'm ecstatic and hoping for a speedy Broadway transfer and cast recording. This is very, very exciting!

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

Almira Profile Photo
Almira
#49WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/29/16 at 12:48am

You should be, wonderfulwizard11, these are top notch writers who have proven they can turn out unique, special and emotionally rich material.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Videos