pixeltracker

Shows With The Biggest Pre-Broadway To Broadway Changes- Page 2

Shows With The Biggest Pre-Broadway To Broadway Changes

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#25Shows With The Biggest Pre-Broadway To Broadway Changes
Posted: 2/13/18 at 7:29pm

Aida also cut the prettiest song in the show, “The Messenger,” at least in part because the lyric is shocking pro-suicide for a Disney show.

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
#26Shows With The Biggest Pre-Broadway To Broadway Changes
Posted: 2/13/18 at 7:55pm

Regarding Home Sweet Homer, or Odyssey as it was then-entitled, there were endless changes literally throughout the show's lengthy pre-B'way tour; the corresponding expenses drove the show's overhead up and up. The Cyclops sequence you refer to was just one example.
I have an audio excerpt of the dialog between Yul Brynner and the Cyclops. It has to be heard to be believed.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#27Shows With The Biggest Pre-Broadway To Broadway Changes
Posted: 2/13/18 at 8:24pm

RippedMan said: "Why’d Jekyll lose the rights to the mirror? "

I’m curious, too. The only thing I can think of is that it was too similar to the effect in Phantom? But that’s a complete guess. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#28Shows With The Biggest Pre-Broadway To Broadway Changes
Posted: 2/13/18 at 8:36pm

Hopefully there will be massive changes between Chicago and broadway for pretty woman

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

bk
#29Shows With The Biggest Pre-Broadway To Broadway Changes
Posted: 2/13/18 at 8:36pm

Um, Seesaw.  Huge changes.

But many hit shows went through rough tryouts out of town in days of old - totally different world then.

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
#30Shows With The Biggest Pre-Broadway To Broadway Changes
Posted: 2/13/18 at 8:50pm

The Goodbye Girl fired one director and hired another.
How much difference that made in the short run is, of course, open to debate.

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#31Shows With The Biggest Pre-Broadway To Broadway Changes
Posted: 2/13/18 at 10:30pm

As bk says, SEESAW  is notorious for this, new leading lady, lots of new numbers and even new arrangements.

BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY's literally had the entire show rewritten with new framing device, characters and songs done between its Philly premiere and the non-opening in New York.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#32Shows With The Biggest Pre-Broadway To Broadway Changes
Posted: 2/13/18 at 11:21pm

adamgreer said: "RippedMan said: "Why’d Jekyll lose the rights to the mirror? "

I’m curious, too. The only thing I can think of is that it was too similar to the effect in Phantom? But that’s a complete guess.
"

I can't remember the exact details, I am sure someone here might, but from what I remember there was a riff between it's creator and the producers and the creator of the mirror pulled it. For some reason i want to say it had to do with all of the changes they made to the show in NYC.

Mister Matt, you took the word out of my mouth. I started to say the same thing. I think it would have had a better run had they not messed with it. The only thing missing when i saw the original was that Cuccioli was not on. He evidently did not follow the instructions in the packet the DCPA e send out to incoming shows regarding the altitude and its affect on vocals. He did One or two nights and then missed like for our five performances the first week. A side note.... Linda Eder came back to Denver after the tour and did a thank you concert (the Denver run was their highest grosser and best attended) at the Audirorium Theatef (now the Ellie Caulkins) for free. It was the night she first sang don Qixiote live onstage. The place went nuts!

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 2/13/18 at 11:21 PM

ZellMorrowsPledge Profile Photo
ZellMorrowsPledge
#33Shows With The Biggest Pre-Broadway To Broadway Changes
Posted: 2/13/18 at 11:51pm

Fun Home?

Use my code "YZTFG" for $20 OFF tickets on TodayTix!

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#34Shows With The Biggest Pre-Broadway To Broadway Changes
Posted: 2/14/18 at 12:40am

FUNNY GIRL went thru an extensive amount of reworking during its 2 out-of-town stops: Boston and Philadelphia.  The reworking continued even when they arrived on Broadway where Jerome Robbins was brought in to 'doctor' the show.  Producer Ray Stark postponed the show's Broadway opening 5 times as Robbins worked his magic to the show.  Roles and scenes were trimmed and/or cut as they streamlined the musical to showcase Barbra Streisand to the fullest.  

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#35Shows With The Biggest Pre-Broadway To Broadway Changes
Posted: 2/14/18 at 8:43am

adamgreer said: "RippedMan said: "Why’d Jekyll lose the rights to the mirror? "

"

Can someone please explain/elaborate on this "confrontation mirror" scene? I never saw J&H, but it sounds like something I would've liked.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#36Shows With The Biggest Pre-Broadway To Broadway Changes
Posted: 2/14/18 at 9:08am

ZellMorrowsPledge said: "Fun Home?"

Only really had a couple of changes -- replacing "Al for Short" with the party scene/song ("I despise this dress"Shows With The Biggest Pre-Broadway To Broadway Changes. Which I think was a change for the better. They also may have added the "Pony Girl" song for Bruce, but I'm not sure if that was in the off-bway version or they just didn't include it on the recording. 

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#37Shows With The Biggest Pre-Broadway To Broadway Changes
Posted: 2/14/18 at 11:06am

"Pony Girl" was new to Broadway, far as I know- it was at least not in the show when it immediately opened Off-Broadway.

trentsketch Profile Photo
trentsketch
#38Shows With The Biggest Pre-Broadway To Broadway Changes
Posted: 2/14/18 at 1:12pm

I think the argument for Fun Home here is that it went from a traditional proscenium staging to in the round for Broadway. The content didn't change so much as the staging, out of necessity.

Aida's changes were wild, and it's pretty impressive how willing Walt Disney Theatrical were willing to allow for those changes (compared to shows like Mermaid where they kept those bizarre plexiglass sets even after they made no sense in the out of town try out). It has to be because it was an original property written for the stage. I wish they'd do more of those.

theatregeek6 Profile Photo
theatregeek6
#39Shows With The Biggest Pre-Broadway To Broadway Changes
Posted: 2/14/18 at 2:28pm

"Wonderland" is unrecognizable from it's Tampa and Houston tryouts -  and it didn't help a bit (Actually liked the Tampa version better, but it was still meh)

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#40Shows With The Biggest Pre-Broadway To Broadway Changes
Posted: 2/14/18 at 4:57pm

Can someone please explain/elaborate on this "confrontation mirror" scene? I never saw J&H, but it sounds like something I would've liked.

In the original production, there was a large two-way mirror behind the laboratory and another actor appeared behind the mirror as Hyde and sang the duet with Jekyll (similar to the mirror effect in Phantom before he pulls Christine through).  The original theatre is a large thrust setup, like a smaller version of the Vivenne Beaumont at Lincoln Center.

In the two subsequent tryouts, the show had to be restaged for traditional proscenium theatres.  As a result, the laboratory set was bigger and more active with electricity bolts (tesla coils) and bubbling tubes and beakers.  Above it hung a huge mirror (which was also lowered to the floor for In His Eyes and the women appeared in the mirror, then walked out in front of the mirror to perform the duet).  For the Confrontation, there was a massive projection of Hyde's face that appeared in the mirror that sang the duet, timed with the orchestra.  At the end of the song, there was an effect where Jekyll throws a chair at the mirror as the laboratory explodes and the mirror shatters.  The audience response was massive every performance.  Add the huge ovations for I Need to Know, Bring On The Men, This Is The Moment, Someone Like You, In His Eyes and A New Life, the show seemed an unstoppable hit.  There were signs of trouble in the second tryout when design changes were being made (laboratory set was scaled down and cheapened, Bring On The Men added chorus boys and the costumes for the number started to resemble Mardis Gras) and some sloppy patchwork changes to the book.

Then it was basically scrapped and mysteriously reconceived as the mess that happened on Broadway.  The only improvement was the orchestrations.  Everything else about the Broadway production was ruined and the ponytail Confrontation descended into infamy and the massive buzz that had been building for years around the show had not only dissipated, but those who never saw the previous incarnations had written off both the show and Wildhorn solely based on the Broadway production and reviews.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#41Shows With The Biggest Pre-Broadway To Broadway Changes
Posted: 2/14/18 at 9:22pm

Let us not forget the massive redoing of 'Sunset Boulevard' from London to (finally) Broadway - starting with the 'Charlie Chaplin' sequence to the lead actress.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#42Shows With The Biggest Pre-Broadway To Broadway Changes
Posted: 2/14/18 at 10:49pm

I wish someone would bring back the old Jekyll, I'd love it. I still remember going to the library and checking out the cast album and jamming to "murder, murder." 

mailhandler777
#43Shows With The Biggest Pre-Broadway To Broadway Changes
Posted: 2/15/18 at 1:26am

Waitress changed a lot from A.R.T. to Broadway.

Hi, I'm Val. Formerly DefyGravity777(I believe)

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#44Shows With The Biggest Pre-Broadway To Broadway Changes
Posted: 2/15/18 at 8:33am

Mister Matt said: "For the Confrontation, there was a massive projection of Hyde's face that appeared in the mirror that sang the duet, timed with the orchestra. At the end of the song, there was an effect where Jekyll throws a chair at the mirror as the laboratory explodes and the mirror shatters."

Oh yeah. I would've LOVED this.

Was the projected Hyde played by the same actor who played Jekyll, or was there ever a production where the two characters were played by different actors?

Mister Matt said: "the ponytail Confrontation descended into infamy"

I found clips of the "ponytail" approach with Rob Evan on YouTube and was less than impressed. I couldn't suspend disbelief to the extent that this man became unrecognizable to people who knew him well, simply because his hair looked like he got caught in a windstorm.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Videos