pixeltracker

THE COLOR PURPLE actress: “homosexuality isn’t right”- Page 2

THE COLOR PURPLE actress: “homosexuality isn’t right”

Erzlump
#25LGBTQ+
Posted: 3/17/19 at 2:19pm

GeorgeandDot said: "The worst part is that she's playing Celie.

Gay for pay.
"

It adds insult to injury for sure, but someone with her background (edit: meaning her tweet and her father) should not be near this musical in general. As the company behind it I would be worried about how it reflects on the company's image and how other people in the cast & crew would feel about working with her - and I'd not be willing to take that gamble. 

Updated On: 3/17/19 at 02:19 PM

Sunny11
#26LGBTQ+
Posted: 3/17/19 at 2:30pm

I wonder how she will handle all the sexualy charged scenes with Shug?

I know that actors play roles that are morally repugnant to them often but I think there is a difference between having fun playing a juicy villain part and playing a gay character when you are against gays. If that makes sense.

Updated On: 3/17/19 at 02:30 PM

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#27LGBTQ+
Posted: 3/17/19 at 2:32pm

dramamama611 said: "The difference is her ideas are offensive to both her fellow actors AND the play. Another example that would be offensive? An anti-semite playing Anne Frank."

What Oluwaseyi Omooba does is actually worse than an anti-semite playing Anne Frank. Antisemitism (which is horrible) can be based on disapproval of a certain religion or ethnicity, which doesn't necessarily mean a religious motive. Religion is always a choice and atheists (or any person) can judge religion for various reasons. Excluding a certain ethnicity is also horrible, but also has nothing to do with the religion of the person who does it. It's just bad behaviour but then at least we can blame the person for doing it. I feel that when an anti-semite would actually play Anne Frank there could be a possibility that the person actually changes their mindset and starts to think about things from multiple angles. With religion this is different because the original judgement has no foundation and they still choose it. Also, you can't compare this with something like sexuality, where there is actually no choice.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#28LGBTQ+
Posted: 3/17/19 at 2:42pm

HE isnt involved. She is.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Erzlump
#29LGBTQ+
Posted: 3/17/19 at 2:43pm

Dave28282 said: "dramamama611 said: "The difference is her ideas are offensive to both her fellow actors AND the play. Another example that would be offensive? An anti-semite playing Anne Frank."

WhatOluwaseyi Omooba does is actually worse than an anti-semite playing Anne Frank. Antisemitism (which is horrible) can be based on disapproval of a certain religion or ethnicity, which doesn't necessarily mean a religious motive. Religion is always a choice and atheists (or any person) can judge religion for various reasons. Excluding a certain ethnicity is also horrible, but also has nothing to do with the religion of the person who does it. It's just bad behaviour but then at least we can blame the person for doing it.I feel that when an anti-semite would actually play Anne Frank there could be a possibility that the person actually changes their mindset and starts to think about things from multiple angles. With religion this is different because the original judgement has no foundation and they still choose it. Also, you can't compare this with something like sexuality, where there is actually no choice.
"

I like the passion with which you champion your cause but I feel this argument does not really hold up - at least not from my German perspective. There are different kinds of antisemitism but since Anne Frank is tossed around here, let's pick the historically German one. Back in those days, from a Nazi Germany perspective, being Jewish was not a "choice". You were born a jew, it was your race. The decision was therefore made more on the grounds of ethnicity, not religion. It didn't matter if you practised your faith or openly denounced it - it was in your blood. And since this understanding of Jewish people as an "inferior race" is still alive it would be difficult to draw a line here and say that what Omooba does is worse. 

Updated On: 3/17/19 at 02:43 PM

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#30LGBTQ+
Posted: 3/17/19 at 2:53pm

You're absolutely right. I was aiming at the choice-part of religion. There are indeed different kinds of antisemitism. Some parts were definitely not a choice, like you say. That should never be accepted.

LuminousBeing Profile Photo
LuminousBeing
#31LGBTQ+
Posted: 3/17/19 at 3:15pm

David10086 said: "I have a die-hard liberal friend who's in her late 50s, and has been in a committed same-sex relationship for over 10 years. Both women seem very happy, and have a beautiful home together. I've asked her recently - as I would any couple who have been together for as long as they have - if they will ever marry (as many of their friends have), as they live in Boston, MA and MA was the first groundbreaking state toallow same-sex marriage.

Her response was "Never! I can't marry Margo. I'm a Jewish woman first. I can't be in a gay marriage", and further explained how she would be shamed in her Jewish community if anyone knew she was in a lesbian relationship. (And this is Boston!) In other words - everyone knows she and Margo live together, vacation together, do everything together - but so long as they don't 'come out publicly' they're fine. (Margo is from PA, and also Jewish - about ten years her junior). They're accepted as two friends who do everything together - nothing more.I should point out that as far as I know, they do not identify as Orthodox Jews or Hasidic Jews.

On Facebook and social media, they refer to each other as their "BFFs" - not as their wife or partner. Just "BFFs" - yet in private, among their gay friends, they refer to each other as 'wife' and celebrate the day they moved in together (about six months after meeting) as their 'anniversary'.

Just wanted to share this with everyone to point out that although Christianity (and especially the Catholic Church) take the brunt of not accepting homosexuality and gay marriage, there are other religions guilty as well.

As a Jewish woman, I wanted to say that yes, it's a shame that certain sects of my religion have a LONG way to go toward accepting the rights of its LGBTQ practitioners. I do also want to say in many communities, Judaism is incredibly welcoming toward all people, and there are scores of LGBTQ individuals (many LGBTQ Jews of color!) who are rabbis as well. The celebration of intersectionality within Judaism is increasing with time, and I hope to be part of that process. <3

"

AADA81 Profile Photo
AADA81
#32LGBTQ+
Posted: 3/17/19 at 3:22pm

Dave28282 said: "AADA81 said: "Since Christ actually taught that it is wrong to judge one another, they're on solid ground."

The lady in question seems to have a different interpretation of this.

What is wrong in my opinion, is deciding what god thinks and interpret things in the way that suits you, and use that as some kind of approval and/or sole reason for your thoughts and actions. No matter if it's judgement or something else. Because every Christian has very different ideas about what is good or bad, as we can see. People need to learn that it comes 100% out of themselves. There are other passages in the bible that your aunt and her peers chose to ignore. You call it enlightenment, and that might actually be a good word, as stepping away fromthe disconnect with real life is exactly that, but I hope they realize it comes out of themselves.
"

Of course they realize it comes out of themselves....and their beliefs in what is right.  It's common sense that each of us has a personal belief system that develops through a combination of what we are taught, what we see and what we experience.  When that is commensurate with what is socially acceptable there is no problem; when it isn't, there is.  Those beliefs can evolve in individuals and in a society, which is natural and also why we now view certain beliefs as unacceptable and prejudiced that used to be considered acceptable.  Religious people and religious beliefs can evolve.

Updated On: 3/17/19 at 03:22 PM

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#33LGBTQ+
Posted: 3/17/19 at 7:25pm

AADA81 said: "Of course they realize it comes out of themselves....and their beliefs in what is right.

Religious people and religious beliefs can evolve."

This is what she said:

"I do not believe you can be born gay, and I do not believe homosexuality right, though the law of this land has made it legal does not mean it’s right, Christians we need to step up and love but also tell the truth of God’s word."

So how would you describe "evolve" in this case? Following god's word less?

AADA81 Profile Photo
AADA81
#34LGBTQ+
Posted: 3/17/19 at 8:50pm

Dave28282 said: "AADA81 said: "Of course they realize it comes out of themselves....and their beliefs in what is right.

Religious people and religious beliefs can evolve."

This is what she said:

"I do not believe you can be born gay, and I do not believe homosexuality right, though the law of this land has made it legal does not mean it’s right,Christians we need to step up and love but also tell the truth of God’s word."

So how would you describe "evolve" in this case? Following god's word less?
"

I said "can evolve", I didn't say 'do'.  Some people never do internally, no matter what changes in the outer world.  Thankfully, many do.  She says, "I do not believe you can be born gay", which is received information she can never understand first-hand.  She chooses to believe what she does.  With additional information she could/may change her belief.  My mother did; my aunt did; my siblings did.  Evolving with open minds has been their strengths.  If  no one could do this, the LGBTQ  community would not have benefited from the significant changes I've seen from the dark ages of my youth, including from deeply religious people.

I think we may be saying the same thing from differing viewpoints.

Updated On: 3/17/19 at 08:50 PM

BroadwayBoy24601
#35LGBTQ+
Posted: 3/17/19 at 9:26pm

The thing that specifically annoys me about this situation is that in her original post, she says, "Christians we need to step up and love but also tell the truth of God's word.  I am tired of this lukewarm Christianity, be inspired to stand up for what you believe in the truth", which in context is basically saying "Hey everybody, go spread the message of homophobia".  Meanwhile, the whole point of the show The Color Purple is to spread the message of acceptance, especially toward the LGBTQ+ community.  I hope the producers realize that she is the wrong person to represent the show, and recast the role.

Updated On: 3/17/19 at 09:26 PM

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#36LGBTQ+
Posted: 3/17/19 at 9:42pm

LuminousBeing said: "

As a Jewish woman, I wanted to say that yes, it's a shame that certain sects of my religion have a LONG way to go toward accepting the rights of its LGBTQ practitioners. I do also want to say in many communities, Judaism is incredibly welcoming toward all people, and there are scores of LGBTQ individuals (many LGBTQ Jews of color!)who are rabbis as well. The celebration of intersectionality within Judaism is increasing with time, and I hope to be part of that process. <3"
"

Thank You for your response to this ! 

You mention 'Jews of Color' which reminds me of a woman in my neighborhood I've known for a long time, and was catching up with recently. She is an African American woman of 71, a professor at a local university, and was recently telling me she left her Episcopal Church of decades, because she always felt 'shamed' by them because of her sexuality. She's been 'floating' around different places of worship over the past year, and has found comfort in a synagogue, as she feels she can 'be herself' there among the worshippers. She's not sure if she will convert to Judaism this late in her life, but she has found a spiritual home for now.  Maybe my friend and her 'BFF' Margo should join this woman's place of worship? 

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#37LGBTQ+
Posted: 3/18/19 at 9:05am

_(•_&bullLGBTQ+_/ said: "While this situation is messed up, should atheists be allowed to perform in musicals like Sister act, jesus christ superstar, scandalous? After all they are just beliefs."

This isn't the right analogy at all, as the fact that the actor is straight isn't the issue - it's that she has bigoted opinions about gay people. Similarly, an everyday atheist playing a religious person shouldn't be an issue for anyone, but a virulently anti-religious atheist would raise some eyebrows (think Sam Harris, but not the one who played Joseph).

Boq101
#38LGBTQ+
Posted: 3/18/19 at 11:15am

Totally agree. I'm an atheist (raised Catholic) and have found that my upbringing has helped me bring a lot into shows were God exists. I don't rely or believe in God in my personal life but I do understand why other people do and I do not fault them for it. 

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#39LGBTQ+
Posted: 3/18/19 at 11:23am

I have no problem with the choice she makes regarding what she believes. I do not agree with her, but that doesn't mean it would be right to deny her her freedom of thought. 

And denying employment based solely on what a person believes is a slippery slope that could be used against anyone; including those whose views one agrees with. As long as she chooses to act tolerably, function within the law, and does not take undo advantage of her role as an opportunity to proselytize -  live and let live.

HOWEVER - As others said, I don't understand why she accepted this role, or how her father/family reconcile her accepting a role in the show at all. It seems to be a contradiction of her beliefs (or the ones she tweeted); selling out for "30 pieces of silver", or 'gay for pay', as mentioned earlier. I would like her, and her father's responses regarding those questions.

jimmycurry01
#40LGBTQ+
Posted: 3/18/19 at 12:18pm

Her beliefs on this matter are truly disheartening. I understand this line of thinking comes from years of indoctrination from her preferred religious establishment, which is even more disappointing, as religion should be about love and acceptance. 

With this line of thinking, I have to wonder why she would choose to do this show or even a career in the theatre industry; with strong lesbian themes in the show, and the unwavering support of LGBTQ causes within the industry, both seem counterintuitive to her belief system.

In any case, I wonder if she eats bacon or shrimp, or if she wears blended fabrics.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#41LGBTQ+
Posted: 3/18/19 at 12:20pm

jimmycurry01 said: "In any case, I wonderif she eats baconor shrimp, or if she wears blended fabrics."

It seems like she'd be willing to do so if she were cast as the lead in a Red Lobster commercial. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

jimmycurry01
#42LGBTQ+
Posted: 3/18/19 at 12:35pm

Kad said: "jimmycurry01 said: "In any case, I wonderif she eats baconor shrimp, or if she wears blended fabrics."

It seems like she'd be willing to do so if she were cast as the lead in a Red Lobster commercial.

"

Alas, the need for a job trumps religious convictions. Perhaps those convictions are not as strong as she would like to believe, or perhaps she has had a change of heart. I suspect the former, but hope for the latter. 

I do wonder how her beliefs will factor into her performance.

NYCblurb
#43LGBTQ+
Posted: 3/18/19 at 3:11pm

jimmycurry01 said: "Kad said: "jimmycurry01 said: "In any case, I wonderif she eats baconor shrimp, or if she wears blended fabrics."

"

Alas, the need for a job trumps religious convictions. Perhaps those convictions are not as strong as she would like to believe, or perhaps she has had a change of heart. I suspect the former, but hope for the latter.

I do wonder how her beliefs will factor into her performance.
"

As Mistah says in the piece, SHE GOT TO GO.

A lover of theater for decades. Teacher by day. Family man by night. See more theater than most, oftentimes a hesitant plus one.

NYCblurb
#44LGBTQ+
Posted: 3/18/19 at 3:14pm

RippedMan said: "Didn't we just have a Uk Color Purple revival?"

TCP was at Chocolate Factory, the little 200 seat theater before coming to Broadway a couple of years later. It did not play on the West End, nor is this production on the West End - even as some have written it's headed to the WE.

A lover of theater for decades. Teacher by day. Family man by night. See more theater than most, oftentimes a hesitant plus one.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#45LGBTQ+
Posted: 3/18/19 at 4:59pm

Yet another reason to love religious indoctrination. Praise be to god. It’s 2019 and we not only accept but praise and encourage Christians, Muslims and Jews to indoctrinate their children with harmful and false beliefs about gay people. Ridiculous.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

PepperedShepherd Profile Photo
PepperedShepherd
#46LGBTQ+
Posted: 3/18/19 at 5:20pm

Julian Hoult, who was in Little Shop of Horrors last summer with her, posted the following on Twitter:

"Seyi Oomba is a fierce talent and a force on stage however do not stand on the shoulders of great LGBT cast and creatives whilst showing a disdain, there was times that both myself and others were very uncomfortable with her view points when in little shop with her !

I noticed she wasn't part of the London pride video because "she didn't agree with it" she was the only cast member to decline and hid upstairs in one of the smaller studios.

I knew this would all eventually come to light but I personally didn't want it in this way, I wanted to see growth and education on her part and I thought little shop would've been that perfect environment for her as it was a huge celebration of queer culture full of some of the best LGBT cast and creatives...."

You can read the rest here:

https://twitter.com/JulianHoult/status/1106846710284935170

whatever2
#47LGBTQ+
Posted: 3/18/19 at 6:18pm

jimmycurry01 said: "In any case, I wonderif she eats baconor shrimp, or if she wears blended fabrics."

I've always been skeptical that there's actual *lobster* on offer there, but the blended fabrics seem like a given.

"You, sir, are a moron." (PlayItAgain)

Fetus Profile Photo
Fetus
#48LGBTQ+
Posted: 3/18/19 at 7:05pm

John Adams said: "I have no problem with the choice she makes regarding what she believes. I do not agree with her, but that doesn't mean it would be right to deny her her freedom of thought.

Anddenying employment based solely on what a person believes is a slippery slope that could be used againstanyone;including those whoseviews one agrees with. As long as she chooses to act tolerably, functionwithin the law, and does not take undo advantage of her role as an opportunity to proselytize - live and let live.
"

Freedom of thought is not freedom of consequence. While I agree that beliefs should never hinder employment, the directors and producers have a responsibility to make casting decisions that will invoke the themes and message of the show. While this doesn't mean I think a member of the LGBT community should always be cast as Celie (acting is acting of course), just that somebody who is fundamentally hellbent on denying the character's lifestyle is woefully unqualified to play the part in a musical about self-love and acceptance. Omooba could turn out to even challenge Erivo vocally, but I personally believe she has no place representing Alice Walker's magnum opus and her homophobia should excuse her from this production in this instance.

And regarding what her former cast mate just shared - she sounds insufferable. I wonder if she was genuinely unaware of the LGBT themes in the piece, the film and musical are more vague on Celie's sexuality which could be missed by someone as ignorant as Omooba appears to be. Someone who locked herself in a room to avoid being seen in a pride video doesn't strike me as one to audition to play a lesbian, but ignorance can often surprise.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#49LGBTQ+
Posted: 3/18/19 at 7:49pm

Fetus said: "I wonder if she was genuinely unaware of the LGBT themes in the piece, the film and musical aremore vague onCelie's sexuality which could be missed by someone as ignorant asOmooba appears to be. Someone who locked herself in a room to avoid being seen in a pride video doesn't strike me as one to audition to play a lesbian, but ignorance can often surprise."

I remember seeing the movie in the theater right after it opened. That kiss was pretty shocking for me who as a still closeted young gay man at that point hadn’t really seen any depictions (that I can recall) of same sex attraction. Now it seems pretty tame, but it wasn’t at the time. I don’t think there’s any way this actress didn’t know what she was signing up for. 

By the way, whatever controversies and flaws remain with the film, it remains one of my all time favorites. 

Videos