pixeltracker

STARLIGHT EXPRESS will return to London in 2024- Page 2

STARLIGHT EXPRESS will return to London in 2024

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#25STARLIGHT EXPRESS will return to London in 2024
Posted: 6/8/24 at 6:54pm

Someone on reddit posted the auditorium design and it looks pretty cool.

veronicamae Profile Photo
veronicamae
#26STARLIGHT EXPRESS will return to London in 2024
Posted: 6/8/24 at 7:14pm

I'm going to London in August to see Taylor Swift and chose this as my one West End (I know it's not in the West End) show to see while there, before her concert since it's right by Wembley and I am as excited to see Starlight as to see Taylor.

The arena looks SO cool.

I know nothing of note about the musical beyond the previously posted Family Guy clip (one of my favorites) and a documentary I watched about the super fans in Germany, and that the show is widely considered "bad."

But you know what?

I just want to see a fun show.

Dan6
#27STARLIGHT EXPRESS will return to London in 2024
Posted: 6/8/24 at 7:55pm

Set photo and description of book and score updates here: 
https://www.whatsonstage.com/news/starlight-express-reveals-huge-london-venue-and-new-number-for-revival_1604904/

Updated On: 6/8/24 at 07:55 PM

TheaterBoy7777 Profile Photo
TheaterBoy7777
quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#29STARLIGHT EXPRESS will return to London in 2024
Posted: 6/9/24 at 5:57pm

Okay - now I’m REALLY happy I pulled the trigger and bought a ticket 

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#30STARLIGHT EXPRESS will return to London in 2024
Posted: 6/9/24 at 9:54pm

veronicamae said: "I'm going to London in August to see Taylor Swift and chose this as my one West End (I know it's not in the West End) show to see while there, before her concert since it's right by Wembley and I am as excited to see Starlight as to see Taylor.

The arena looks SO cool.

I know nothing of note about the musical beyond the previously posted Family Guy clip (one of my favorites) and a documentary I watched about the super fans in Germany, and that the show is widely considered "bad."

But you know what?

I just want to see a fun show.
"

I went to first preview and it was MAGICAL! Yes all the starlight fans were there which added to the atmosphere and seeing the arena was unreal. Very modern. It didn’t feel like a revival. I hope to see it again when I come back to London in December to see what the final product is since I’m sure they’ll make changes through previews. 

They did stop the show during act 1 due to an audience member health emergency. Paramedics was very quick! (Faster than the time I was at the OUTSIDERS and they stopped the show in act 2 before the fire scene.)

Note they open the bar/lobby 2 hours before curtain and they open the arena for seating roughly 30 mins before the show starts. It really is an experience and I hope it stays there a long time!

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#31STARLIGHT EXPRESS will return to London in 2024
Posted: 6/14/24 at 8:51pm

Looks low budget to me. 

STARLIGHT EXPRESS Megamix

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#32STARLIGHT EXPRESS will return to London in 2024
Posted: 6/14/24 at 9:00pm

I think the costumes are perhaps intentionally less detailed and lack as much character as Napier’s designs but I doubt the production is actually low budget. Most of the budget went to the auditorium. Still looks like a lot of fun to me.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#33STARLIGHT EXPRESS will return to London in 2024
Posted: 6/14/24 at 11:03pm

Costumes are quite detailed the closer you look and even technical.

The costume designer is Gabriella Slade, who won a Tony a few years ago for her costume designs at SIX.

Updated On: 6/14/24 at 11:03 PM

CJRochester
#34STARLIGHT EXPRESS will return to London in 2024
Posted: 6/15/24 at 10:01am

The costumes and lighting look like SIX on roller skates. It looks like it would be a fun theme park show.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#35STARLIGHT EXPRESS will return to London in 2024
Posted: 6/15/24 at 12:05pm

Has the show ever NOT looked like a theme park show?

Maybe in a few years Jamie Lloyd can “reimagine” it on an empty stage symbolizing an abandoned junkyard with a nude cast symbolizing trains stripped for parts and it’ll be hailed as “groundbreaking”.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#36STARLIGHT EXPRESS will return to London in 2024
Posted: 6/15/24 at 12:25pm

As someone who saw and loved the original production, I have to say the look of this revival is really underwhelming comparatively.  The original was probably the pinnacle of 80s musical theatre excess and the designs of the sets and costumes were absolutely extraordinary and overwhelming spectacle. This sort of looks like they threw some ramps through the flex seating at the Playstation Theatre. I don't even recognize most of the songs in the mega mix. I wish ALW hadn't felt the need to overwork the score so much.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#37STARLIGHT EXPRESS will return to London in 2024
Posted: 6/15/24 at 1:16pm

Compared to the 90s revamped version that closed in the West End in 2002 there’s only three newer songs in this production but “I Do” and “I Am Me” have already been used in Bochum and previous productions and tours prior to this. The only song that’s actually new is “Hydrogen” and it’s barely even a song. It’s just recitative and one line repeated over and over.

Latest Posts

Videos