musicalfandukie
#25re: Holy Moly! Brooklyn's song is awesome
Posted: 8/17/04 at 6:01pm

i thought the song was just ok...eden did a great job singing it tho

BalletGirl85 Profile Photo
BalletGirl85
#26re: Holy Moly! Brooklyn's song is awesome
Posted: 8/17/04 at 6:03pm

Quibbler - you are the winner because your quote is from Rocko. I wish I had a crown to give you because you are the king and/or queen.

NYCbabe3789 Profile Photo
NYCbabe3789
#27re: Holy Moly! Brooklyn's song is awesome
Posted: 8/17/04 at 6:06pm

I wasn't blown away either. I don't know if it was Eden or the song but it struck me as rather "poppish." I'm still going to the show, and am very excited, but I hope I like the other songs better.

musicalfandukie Profile Photo
musicalfandukie
#28re: Holy Moly! Brooklyn's song is awesome
Posted: 8/17/04 at 6:08pm

maybe this recording was just thrown together fast...hopfully the live song and cast recording will be better and not so fluffy. Updated On: 8/17/04 at 06:08 PM

KChenowethfan Profile Photo
KChenowethfan
#29re: Holy Moly! Brooklyn's song is awesome
Posted: 8/17/04 at 6:27pm

Eden sounds really good. The song is slightly cheesy though but I thought that about some other songs that I now like, having seen them in the context of a show.

"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#30re: Holy Moly! Brooklyn's song is awesome
Posted: 8/17/04 at 7:37pm

Haha, thanks BalletGirl85! "Rocko's Modern Life" was probably the best television show to ever hit the airwaves in the history of man.

I'm a king, by the way.

kitkatgirl54 Profile Photo
kitkatgirl54
#31re: Holy Moly! Brooklyn's song is awesome
Posted: 8/17/04 at 7:40pm

i thought eden outsang the song, by far. (as in, if it weren't her singing, i'm not sure how good the song would be). hopefully the orchestrations and backup vocals will be a little bit better for the real thing. Updated On: 8/18/04 at 07:40 PM

Dreamer
#32re: Holy Moly! Brooklyn's song is awesome
Posted: 8/17/04 at 8:19pm

I think the song sounds great. Eden has a beautiful voice. I hope the rest of the songs are as good. I'm looking forward to hearing some of the music at Bryant Park thursday.

Benzy92 Profile Photo
Benzy92
#33re: Holy Moly! Brooklyn's song is awesome
Posted: 8/17/04 at 8:38pm

She is brilliant!

musicaltheatreman
#34re: Holy Moly! Brooklyn's song is awesome
Posted: 8/18/04 at 2:54am

i think the song is great!!! i believe it sounds cheesy because the back up singers and the music sounds like a kareoke track, but i have a feeling once it is performed live with a orcahstra(sp) in the theatre and they make a cast recording the song will sound much better than the sample recording on the website! :)

StrStruckDreamr9 Profile Photo
StrStruckDreamr9
#35re: Holy Moly! Brooklyn's song is awesome
Posted: 8/18/04 at 3:21am

I don't think that Chinkie intended for his post to be that thoughtful (ie. reminiscent of Wicked).

shira467 Profile Photo
shira467
#36re: Holy Moly! Brooklyn's song is awesome
Posted: 8/18/04 at 3:41am

I agree that the song is quite cheesy, in many respects. But damn if Eden's voice doesn't make you forget about the downpoints. She is simply wonderful. I can't wait for her to become a bonafide star.

Deet: Shira, I Love You!

bythesword84 Profile Photo
bythesword84
#37re: Holy Moly! Brooklyn's song is awesome
Posted: 8/18/04 at 4:59am

As much as I loved Eden in Wicked, I don't think I really liked her in this song. I think you can hear that she has a good voice but I didn't really like her last "Time" at the very end. I agree with everyone who said cut the background. That really kills it. I think this could be an awesome song and maybe in context it works, but with just hearing it...I don't know.

I hope seeing it will make me love it but right now I think it's just okay.

And hang on, when did you win the discus?

erikrokks Profile Photo
erikrokks
#38re: Holy Moly! Brooklyn's song is awesome
Posted: 8/18/04 at 9:16am

Uncageg is totally right...once you hear and see the song in the context of the show, you won't think it's so cheesy. That download does not have the "introduction" of OUAT, which really provides the background as to why Brooklyn is singing about pumpkins turning to coaches, etc. Once you witness the full production and storyline, it will make much more sense.
Also, in response to people saying that it sounds too "pop", if that is a negative comment in your eyes...don't worry...there are plenty of other influences like R&B ("Raven") and blues/soul ("The Truth").
Plus, so what if some people think that it is cheesy? I can't think of a Broadway show that doesn't have some cheesy aspects to it. Like I said before, the times I heard her perform the song live are a million times better than the recording on the website. I can't wait to hear everyone's opinion on the song/show once they see it for themselves!

"You act like you're cleaner than the Board of Heath, but you're just a fame ho just like me. You know it...and you LOVE it!" -Paradice to Brooklyn

wickedfan2 Profile Photo
wickedfan2
#39re: Holy Moly! Brooklyn's song is awesome
Posted: 8/18/04 at 9:19am

I don't care about cheesy when she sounds like that. I got chills hearing it at home I can just imagine when I go on 9/23 to hear her in person!!

Ustadance
#40re: Holy Moly! Brooklyn's song is awesome
Posted: 8/18/04 at 10:12am

YOU PEOPLE KILL ME...."cheesy" "fluffy" "karaoke"...um, I just wonder, what Bway shows have you all have written/arranged/orchestrated/sung and gotten up and running - or do you just sit back at your laptops and criticize. I know everyone is entitled to their opinions - but jeeze you are a tough crowd. Hope people are not so critical of your, um, "talents"...

wickedfan2 Profile Photo
wickedfan2
#41re: Holy Moly! Brooklyn's song is awesome
Posted: 8/18/04 at 10:15am

BTW.. I saw Eden in Wicked and she blew me away but that Brooklyn song beats it.

I wonder if she can sing notes like that 8 days a week and not hurt her voice re: Holy Moly! Brooklyn's song is awesome

kitkatgirl54 Profile Photo
kitkatgirl54
#42re: Holy Moly! Brooklyn's song is awesome
Posted: 8/18/04 at 10:17am

yes i wish everyone would keep in mind that most likely the demo is not going to be fully orchestrated and ready to go. it may sound very different.

wally
#43re: Holy Moly! Brooklyn's song is awesome
Posted: 8/18/04 at 10:21am

I didn't like it either. The song or her voice. Everything I've heard her sing does nothing for me.

JoizeyActor Profile Photo
JoizeyActor
#44re: Holy Moly! Brooklyn's song is awesome
Posted: 8/18/04 at 1:30pm

You aren't going to heaven for that, Wally.

wally
#45re: Holy Moly! Brooklyn's song is awesome
Posted: 8/18/04 at 2:06pm

Yes I realize Eden is worshipped here, but I just don't get it. And I don't believe in heaven.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#46re: Holy Moly! Brooklyn's song is awesome
Posted: 8/18/04 at 2:19pm

Demo recordings are usually a lot more antiseptic than cast recordings which often reflect more of the setting and characterization defined in the show. The song definitely shows potential, though.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Miphba Profile Photo
Miphba
#47re: Holy Moly! Brooklyn's song is awesome
Posted: 8/18/04 at 2:22pm

I don't worship Eden..quite yet, give me a few more songs and maybe I'll change my opinions :)...but you do have to acknowledge her abundace of talent, even if you don't particularly care for the song.

judy_in_disguise
#48re: Holy Moly! Brooklyn's song is awesome
Posted: 8/18/04 at 2:29pm

Plum, I'm with you.
The song was BEAUTIFUL until the screechy belt at the end. Oi. Why do performers feel they must do that all the time? It can really wreck a song if it's not done well.

Videos