pixeltracker

Whoa! Broadway.com says Stephanie Block got injured in rehearsal- Page 2

Whoa! Broadway.com says Stephanie Block got injured in rehearsal

Benzy92 Profile Photo
Benzy92
#25re: Whoa! Broadway.com says Stephanie Block got injured in rehearsal
Posted: 3/8/05 at 4:47pm

this is awful re: Whoa! Broadway.com says Stephanie Block got injured in rehearsal

She is such an incredible actress and person most importantly.. I wish her the quickest recovery!

Merrydothe Profile Photo
Merrydothe
#26re: Whoa! Broadway.com says Stephanie Block got injured in rehearsal
Posted: 3/8/05 at 4:54pm

Wow, so do you think she'll fly in at the beginning of No Good Deed?! Wow that would be excellent.....

Trisky Profile Photo
Trisky
#27re: Whoa! Broadway.com says Stephanie Block got injured in rehearsal
Posted: 3/8/05 at 4:57pm

Wow, so do you think she'll fly in at the beginning of No Good Deed?!

I think there was some mention of that number in particular. But the memory is the first thing to go in old age, so don't quote me on that. re: Whoa! Broadway.com says Stephanie Block got injured in rehearsal

At the time I don't think it was determined how they'd change the Fiyero knocking on the stage thing. I wonder what the outcome is/was.

"Too young to hold on and too old to just break free and run" - Jeff Buckley

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#28re: Whoa! Broadway.com says Stephanie Block got injured in rehearsal
Posted: 3/8/05 at 4:58pm

Wow, weird. Hope she feels better!

A work of art is an invitation to love.

whatyouown223 Profile Photo
whatyouown223
#29re: Whoa! Broadway.com says Stephanie Block got injured in rehearsal
Posted: 3/8/05 at 4:59pm

Schwartz said everything was going to be the same, so I dunno. C'mon, they only have one trap door! Phantom has like, what, 15?

Trisky Profile Photo
Trisky
#30re: Whoa! Broadway.com says Stephanie Block got injured in rehearsal
Posted: 3/8/05 at 5:01pm

Schwartz said everything was going to be the same, so I dunno. C'mon, they only have one trap door! Phantom has like, what, 15?

I don't know for sure, I'm just going by what I was told, which was they couldn't cut into the stages of a lot of these theaters.

"Too young to hold on and too old to just break free and run" - Jeff Buckley

#31re: Whoa! Broadway.com says Stephanie Block got injured in rehearsal
Posted: 3/8/05 at 5:04pm

i think the point is that every theater is different and you cant expect there to be a trapped door exactly where you need one in every city so having other plans makes sense.

suzycat Profile Photo
suzycat
#32re: Whoa! Broadway.com says Stephanie Block got injured in rehearsal
Posted: 3/8/05 at 5:08pm

Plus, aren't there 2 traps? The one she melts into and the one that the "guy with the green bottle" goes down into after "have another drink my dark eye'd beauty..."

TxTwoStep Profile Photo
TxTwoStep
#33re: Whoa! Broadway.com says Stephanie Block got injured in rehearsal
Posted: 3/8/05 at 5:09pm

maybe Block will get a jeweled body cast and go on anyway, kind of like a sarcophagus. i saw Cates in BOOBS THE MUSICAL and she's very funny, great singer, not sure about the chops for Elphaba's intensity.

i'm sure Equity is watching out for this show after all this---kinda like the adjusted requirements for LION KING.

i thought Block was great in BOY FROM OZ and look forward to this tour for her and also for Kendra K.

Will: They don't give out awards for helping people be gay... unless you count the Tonys. "I guarantee that we'll have tough times. I guarantee that at some point one or both of us will want to get out. But I also guarantee that if I don't ask you to be mine, I'll regret it for the rest of my life..."

UptownGirl Profile Photo
UptownGirl
#34re: Whoa! Broadway.com says Stephanie Block got injured in rehearsal
Posted: 3/8/05 at 5:28pm

Just a thought...

Today's also the 8th. Like, the same day Idina got hurt.

Kinda creepy. (Or maybe I'm just really weird and remember dates haha)

"Learn how to laugh. Learn how to love. Learn how to live. That's my style." -Follies

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#35re: Whoa! Broadway.com says Stephanie Block got injured in rehearsal
Posted: 3/8/05 at 6:01pm

That is truly horrible! I hope she has a speedy recovery. She is very very talented, and I can't wait for the country to hear how talented she really is.

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

wicked4life51 Profile Photo
wicked4life51
#36re: Whoa! Broadway.com says Stephanie Block got injured in rehearsal
Posted: 3/8/05 at 6:38pm

so lemme get this straight they are flying up kristy cates to do the role?

"what? what is it? do i have something in my teeth? ok lets get this over with : no im not seasick,yes ive always been green, and no i didnt chew grass as a child "

musicgal04 Profile Photo
musicgal04
#37re: Whoa! Broadway.com says Stephanie Block got injured in rehearsal
Posted: 3/8/05 at 6:49pm

From what I understand Phantom travels with additions to the stage in order to have all of the doors and tracks work. That is part of the reason is has long runs compared to the two weeks that we normally get. I don't know know for sure though. I don't see why Wicked wouldn't follow suit, of course the money, but now they will be more flying, so whatever.

BSoBW2
#38re: Whoa! Broadway.com says Stephanie Block got injured in rehearsal
Posted: 3/8/05 at 6:55pm

That didn't take long.

TheGaIsSilent Profile Photo
TheGaIsSilent
#39re: Whoa! Broadway.com says Stephanie Block got injured in rehearsal
Posted: 3/8/05 at 6:55pm

Uptown, that'd be creepy, if Stephanie got hurt today, but she got hurt yesterday

JOHN LITHGOW I just realized, your last name is Butz! Both "Norbert" AND "Butz" are in your name! You must have gotten picked on a lot as a child!

McShoSlut
#40re: Whoa! Broadway.com says Stephanie Block got injured in rehearsal
Posted: 3/8/05 at 8:02pm

I find it creepy with the strange turn of events that happen to Elphaba before big show days. Idina before her last, and now Stephanie before the tours first performance in front of an audience. I hope she does feel better. However, I think it is a little unprofessional of the producers to not have an understudy or standby. In New York when Idina was hurt, Shoshana came to the rescue and performed the role of Elphaba. It is just my belief that a professional production would be prepared in the event of something like this, and am surprised that the Wicked tour wasn't.

As you can tell I love Shoshana!

Dreamcatcher Profile Photo
Dreamcatcher
#41re: Whoa! Broadway.com says Stephanie Block got injured in rehearsal
Posted: 3/8/05 at 8:20pm

Yeah that is a bit creepy....Well I hope Stephanie feels better soon. At least it isnt something serious.

I wanted to get something that an "ex"-junkie like him would really appreciate and cherish....it's a brick of heroin shaped like a heart. -Scrubs

WhiteRabbit Profile Photo
WhiteRabbit
#42re: Whoa! Broadway.com says Stephanie Block got injured in rehearsal
Posted: 3/8/05 at 8:27pm

O.K. Quick question. So I read two things:

"[Block] is experiencing muscle spasms which are preventing her from performing," a production spokesperson said. "Ms. Block is expected to return in a few days."

and then the statement from Scott Alan's site. I was just wondering if Broadway.com was just down playing what happened or if something was exaggerated?

McShoSlut: It would be expected that they would have understudies ready to go on, but you have to remember that this is the tour's first show. The cast has barely had time to learn there own roles, let alone, learn the roles that they are understudies for.

Also, does anyone know how long SJB will be out?

I most definitely have issues with my word choices on this board.

Dreamcatcher
#43re: Whoa! Broadway.com says Stephanie Block got injured in rehearsal
Posted: 3/8/05 at 8:33pm

It (the article) said that she should be back in a few days.

I wanted to get something that an "ex"-junkie like him would really appreciate and cherish....it's a brick of heroin shaped like a heart. -Scrubs

seasons of love Profile Photo
seasons of love
#44re: Whoa! Broadway.com says Stephanie Block got injured in rehearsal
Posted: 3/8/05 at 8:58pm

Gosh... feel better Stephanie!!!

"I am unfinished- I am diminished With or without you..."

Mattio98
#45re: Whoa! Broadway.com says Stephanie Block got injured in rehearsal
Posted: 3/8/05 at 9:09pm

Poor Steph. I can assure you this though, it's not about her not being ready. She's definitely ready. It was a genuine injury and it's very unfortunate.

pndmnd
#46re: Whoa! Broadway.com says Stephanie Block got injured in rehearsal
Posted: 3/8/05 at 10:05pm

I just have a couple of comments:
First, in regards to this whole "wire thing" vs. the "clamp thing"--What did you think the clamp was attached to? They don't just put on some magical anti-gravity clamp that makes her fly. It would be attached to wires.
Second, they always have understudies in tours, she probably just isn't ready yet, since the show hasn't even officially opened.
Third, just my opinion, but I don't really think the show is cursed or anything. It is a show with a lot of risk involved. Actor's are human, they do get sick, and they do get hurt. Sutton Foster missed some of the Little Women previews because she was sick, Gavin Creel blew out his knee during Thoroughy Modern Millie previews. It happens.

Merrydothe Profile Photo
Merrydothe
#47re: Whoa! Broadway.com says Stephanie Block got injured in rehearsal
Posted: 3/8/05 at 11:01pm

I have to dissagree about the wire thing that you just explained. To me, when I saw it from the first row last seat on the left, its clear that she is standing on a platform with something around her waist--that is attatched to a black skirt, so they put the clamp around her with this false skirt, extending from her waist--therefore its longer than her, so when shes standing on the platform you can't see her feet-the extra long false skirt is covering them. Just speculation, but it seems like the clamp around her is attatched to some kind of pole in back of her. I think it's best explained as similar to a Porcelain Doll stand, have you all see these? Hard to explain, but if you saw one you'd understand what I'm trying to describe. Sorry. Updated On: 3/8/05 at 11:01 PM

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#48re: Whoa! Broadway.com says Stephanie Block got injured in rehearsal
Posted: 3/9/05 at 1:17am

I sincerely (and desperately!) hope Stephanie the speediest recovery! I have tickets to see her next Thursday, March 17th!

Just my luck -- the only reason I decided to pay top ticket to see WICKED again was to catch Stephanie. I hope she gets better very, very soon.

Here's the press release I received from Mirvish (no new info, but it's the official word):

-----------------------------

For Immediate Release
Contact: John Karastamatis, Sue Toth or J. Randy Alldread – 416-593-0351

BY STEPHEN SCHWARTZ AND WINNIE HOLZMAN
BASED ON THE NOVEL BY GREGORY MAGUIRE

Stephanie J. Block, who plays the role of Elphaba in Wicked, has suffered a minor injury during rehearsal. She is experiencing muscle spasms which are preventing her from performing. As a result, tonight's preview performance has been canceled and has been rescheduled for Sunday March 13 at 7:30 pm. Producers of Wicked expect Ms. Block to return in a few days. One of the stand bys from The Broadway production, Kristy Cates, will be covering the role in Stephanie's absence. All tickets for tonight's performance will be honored for this new Sunday evening performance.

Performances begin Wednesday March 9, 2005 at the CANON Theatre. WICKED opens in Toronto March 20, 2005. The WICKED continues on to Chicago, Los Angeles and San Francisco. Other tour cities can be found at www.wickedthemusical.com.

WICKED stars Stephanie J. Block and Kendra Kassebaum as Elphaba and Glinda respectively. Carol Kane stars as Madame Morrible and David Garrison stars as The Wizard.

WICKED is a new musical with music and lyrics by Stephen Schwartz (Godspell, Pippin, Academy Award winner for Pocahontas and The Prince of Egypt) and book by Winnie Holzman (“My So Called Life,” “Once And Again” and “thirtysomething”) based on the 1995 novel by Gregory Maguire and is set to make its Toronto premiere starting March 8, 2005. Tickets are now on sale for a limited 7 week run. The musical is directed by 2003 Tony Award winner Joe Mantello (Take Me Out, Assassins, Love! Valor! Compassion!, Vagina Monologues, Frankie and Johnny in the Clair de Lune) and features musical staging by Tony Award winner Wayne Cilento (Aida, The Who’s Tommy, How To Succeed…). WICKED, winner of 15 major awards including the grammy and 3 Tony® Awards, is the untold story of the witches of Oz, and is being produced by Marc Platt, Universal Pictures, The Araca Group, Jon B. Platt and David Stone.

Long before Dorothy drops in, two other girls meet in the land of Oz. One, born with emerald-green skin, is smart, fiery and misunderstood. The other is beautiful, ambitious and very popular. WICKED tells the story of their remarkable odyssey, how these two unlikely friends grow to become the Wicked Witch of the West and Glinda the Good Witch.

WICKED features set design by Tony® Award winning Eugene Lee (Ragtime, Show Boat, Candide, Sweeney Todd), costume design by Tony® winner Susan Hilferty (Into the Woods, Assassins), lighting design by Tony nominee® Kenneth Posner (Hairspray) and sound design by Tony Meola (The Lion King and the recent Man of La Mancha). Stephen Oremus is the show’s musical director. Orchestrations are by William David Brohn, with dance arrangements by James Lynn Abbott.

WICKED began performances on Broadway on Wednesday, October 8, 2003, at The Gershwin Theatre and continues to be the top-grossing show on Broadway. Grammy Award Winning Cast recording available on Decca Broadway.

TICKETS NOW ON SALE
Performances begin March 9, 2005
Tuesday – Saturday 8PM
Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday 2PM
Tickets $26 - $110 at the Canon Theatre – 244 Victoria Street
416-872-1212 or 1-800-461-3333
www.mirvish.com <http://www.mirvish.com/>
Group Orders: 416-593-4142 or 1-800-724-6420
Photos available online at www.mirvish.com
User name: media
Password: images

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."
Updated On: 3/9/05 at 01:17 AM

Dreamcatcher
#49re: Whoa! Broadway.com says Stephanie Block got injured in rehearsal
Posted: 3/9/05 at 1:24am

I wouldn't worry about her not performing on the night you have tickets. I've had muscle spasms before and they usually go away after a few days, and the 17th is still over a week away. I'm sure she'll be back by then.

Videos