Barbara Harris

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#25re: Barbara Harris
Posted: 4/1/05 at 5:24pm

I have to agree with Dimitri - after re-reading this post, I pulled out a recording of Ms Harris singing What Did I Have That I Don't Have? and it was glorious - just the way a broadway star should deliver a song - people could learn a lot from that performance.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

Demitri2 Profile Photo
Demitri2
#26re: Barbara Harris
Posted: 4/1/05 at 8:37pm

Thanks Redhot, I like being "agreed with" even more than WISH likes being "right on"!...:) On a less personal note, since there are only really two shows we have that feature Barbara Harris, I'm as familiar with "The Apple Tree" as I am "On A Clear Day...". One thing I always regretted though is Barbara Harris' "eleven o'clock number" from "The Apple Tree" that was excised during its out of town run. It's called "I'm Lost" and can be heard on Bruce Kimmel's "Lost in Boston II". Since the show was overlong, it unfortunately had to go. But if you have the opportunity try to give it a listen. In the notes it's described as a Helen Morganish torch song with...lol..a soft shoe beat. One can only imagine what Harris could have done with this number.
Updated On: 4/1/05 at 08:37 PM

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#27re: Barbara Harris
Posted: 4/1/05 at 9:05pm

So, just what happened or, where is Jill Haworth now? Anyone?

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#28re: Barbara Harris
Posted: 4/1/05 at 9:22pm

Loved her in The Apple Tree . Regret I did not see her in On A Clear DAy as she was vocally great in that

It is a shame she disappeared from the stage so quickly

Poster Emeritus

tpdc
#29re: Barbara Harris
Posted: 4/1/05 at 9:49pm

I love Barbara Harris. All of her film performances are wonderful. Even her brief appearances like in PEGGY SUE GOT MARRIED or the John Cusack movie where she played his mother are terrific. I couldn't see the remake of FREAKY FRIDAY because even though I like Jamie Lee Curtis, I couldn't see anyone else doing what Harris did in the role. I love both THE APPLE TREE and ON A CLEAR DAY recordings. I particularly love her What Makes Me Love Him in APPLE TREE. I like Chenoweth but is she versatile enough to pull off these three roles in next month's Encores APPLE TREE?

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#30re: Barbara Harris
Posted: 4/2/05 at 12:43am

Ms. Harris was amazing in "Apple" and "Clear"
Magnetic on the stage
'67 waited fer Her at the Stage Door
in the Rain
She was the Last to leave and She pushed me Aside
maybe with the drugs we have now
and in NASHVILLE!!!!!
so great
but Jill was limited
who worked longer ?

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#31re: Barbara Harris
Posted: 4/2/05 at 2:06am

But that's terrible! Pushed aside in the rain after waiting like Eve Harrington! My illusions are gradually being shattered.

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#32re: Barbara Harris
Posted: 4/2/05 at 2:20am

...and still we don't know has happened to Jill Haworth?

Wildcat, 'Private Message'forthcoming...technical difficulties!

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#33re: Barbara Harris
Posted: 4/2/05 at 2:34am

Well, obviously that drug-addled Barbara Harris kicked her to death in some rain-soaked gutter...

SweetOscar
#34re: Barbara Harris
Posted: 11/8/05 at 10:01am

That comment and the last one on the previous page, were all but too facetious . Have some more respect for the women.

do_re_milla Profile Photo
do_re_milla
#35re: Barbara Harris - Laying the Drug Rumour To Rest
Posted: 11/8/05 at 10:17am

I have spoken w/a friend & colleague of Barbara Harris (he was in On A Clear Day with her). Barbara was not on drugs....

Milla

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#36re: Barbara Harris
Posted: 11/8/05 at 10:25am

Barbara Harris is one of those talents that most directors, casting directors, and writers don't seem to know what to do with. She's an eccentric performer, and possesses a rare gift.

I'm glad we have glimpses of her in stage plays and musicals, and a few shining film roles to digest. I agree about her hilarious turn in "Freaky Friday." I also couldn't watch the remake of it, because Barbara had left such an impression on me in the original. Also "A Thousand Clowns" is one of my favorites. She was Oscar-nominated for "Who Is Harry Kellerman and Why Is He Saying Those Terrible Things About Me?"

And she started out in the Compass Players (which later became known as Second City). It shows.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

roquat
#37re: Barbara Harris
Posted: 11/8/05 at 10:38am

Barbara Harris is so vivid on the ON A CLEAR DAY cast recording that you automatically picture her delivering the songs as you listen. I too am disappointed that she wasn't given more chances to display her incomparable, uncategorizable talents. I compare her to Madeleine Kahn, another full-scale funny woman who was painfully shy and reserved on talk shows, etc. These women give so much of themselves onstage that there's nothing left in between.

I ask in all honesty/What would life be?/Without a song and a dance, what are we?/So I say "Thank you for the music/For giving it to me."

Garland Grrrl Profile Photo
Garland Grrrl
#38re: Barbara Harris
Posted: 11/8/05 at 10:42am

eydie gorme's recording of "what did i have that i don't have" is one of my favorite things EVER--so over the top--it's heaven! however, nothing beats barbara harris for interpretation. i think he merrick meant julie harris re: sally bowles.

Mind is Mantra.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#39re: Barbara Harris
Posted: 11/8/05 at 10:44am

Harris performed "Movie Star" and "Gorgeous" brilliantly on the '67 Tonys. Not the slightest indication of being drunk or slurred speech, so I don't know what wickedfan is talking about. Her acceptance speech is indeed bizarre, exactly as Demtri describes it.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#40re: Barbara Harris
Posted: 11/8/05 at 10:45am

I think Merrick meant Phil Harris.

re: Barbara Harris

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#41re: Barbara Harris
Posted: 11/8/05 at 6:49pm

Jill Haworth die a few years ago

Saw Harris in The Apple Tree but missed her in On A Clear Day

Poster Emeritus

cturtle Profile Photo
cturtle
#42re: Barbara Harris
Posted: 11/8/05 at 9:06pm

redhot, i agree with your take on barbara in FAMILY PLOT. i just archived that to dvd. hitchcock's funniest!

RIP glebby <3

#43re: Barbara Harris
Posted: 11/8/05 at 9:12pm

I have had the great good fortune to hear a live audio recording of the complete performance of CLEAR DAY with Barbara Harris. The magic of her on stage is unmistakable.
Updated On: 11/8/05 at 09:12 PM

bschneid76 Profile Photo
bschneid76
#44re: Barbara Harris
Posted: 11/8/05 at 9:14pm

Too bad that Barbara Harris couldn't of had a role in Dirty Rotten Scoundels, since she was in the film.

I love On A Clear Day, i would have loved to see her on B-way. My fave film of hers if probably Family Plot or Freaky Friday.

"Love the Art in Yourself. Not Yourself in the Art." -- Stanislavski

Horton Profile Photo
Horton
#45re: Barbara Harris
Posted: 11/9/05 at 5:42pm

I like barbra in Tree and she won the TONY for that

jimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
#46re: Barbara Harris
Posted: 11/9/05 at 10:39pm

So nice to see posters here that were out and going to the theater back in those days as well. I DO have one question - Since I never got to see ANY production of OACD except for the film, Exactly how is this done onstage? The film worked for me, But I know Mrs. Brolin is not a favorite of everyone. So, How is this piece done? I had to pass on tickets years ago (nat. tour) and as I recall it was Karen Black in the tour as Daisy/Melinda. Thanks All!

"It is bad enough that people are dying of AIDS, but no one should die of ignorance." - Elizabeth Taylor

sondheimboy2 Profile Photo
sondheimboy2
#47re: Barbara Harris
Posted: 11/18/05 at 12:57am

It's nice to know that others out there know and love Barbara Harris, too. I never got to see her perform live, but I treasure my copies of "Apple Tree" (read Alan Alda's new book, "Never Have Your Dog Stuffed" he has some very nice things to say about her) and "Clear Day" (I read John Simon's review of the film version of "Clear Day" and he said that after seeing it he went home and listened to Barbara on the original cast album. He went on to write that Streisand is not only missing the other "a" in her name, but everything from "b" through "z".

"A coherent existance after so many years of muddle" - Desiree' Armfelt, A Little Night Music "Life keeps happening everyday, Say Yes" - 70, Girls, 70 "Life is what you do while you're waiting to die" - Zorba

Flahooley Profile Photo
Flahooley
#48re: Barbara Harris
Posted: 11/18/05 at 10:59am

Documentary film is gaining popularity these days. I would love to see some enterprising filmmaker tract down Barbara Harris and tell us her story. Think of the themes and questions it could cover:

The links between talent and eccentrity.
The links between Self-destructive behavior and success.
How much odd behavior are we willing to accept?
How much conformity has the theatre and film started to impose on itself?

WindyCityActor Profile Photo
WindyCityActor
#49re: Barbara Harris
Posted: 11/18/05 at 11:55am

Be sure to rent Robert Altman's "Nashville" to watch Barbara Harris in action. She finally gets to sing at the finale after many mishaps, and just wails the house down! Incredible.

Videos