News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Toughest Tony Category?

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#25re: Toughest Tony Category?
Posted: 5/9/05 at 8:27pm

What, Wickedrocks?

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#26re: Toughest Tony Category?
Posted: 5/9/05 at 8:28pm

I guess you just read my post wrong or randomly said...nevermind its not worth it lol :)

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#27re: Toughest Tony Category?
Posted: 5/9/05 at 8:30pm

I totally misread it. LOL. I was sitting there thinking you were shilling for Bee again. re: Toughest Tony Category?
I agree, PIazza could sweep the technical designs but I think Chitty could easily take Set.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#28re: Toughest Tony Category?
Posted: 5/9/05 at 8:33pm

I'm so tooooooooooooorn.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

TGIF Profile Photo
TGIF
#29re: Toughest Tony Category?

I always thought the smaller awards were "tougher" in the sense that there is more competition and very unpredictable in a good year what will end up with a nomination. For example categories like Best Lighting or Best Costumes can go to any show even if the rest of the show was terrible.

For categories like Best Musical - while technically the hardest to get - you basically know who your competition is.

I hope that makes sense, it all makes sense in my head, but I have a terrible head cold.

I want to write music. I want to sit down right now at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember and do the same thing every morning...for the rest of my life. - Jonathan Larson. Tick, Tick...BOOM!

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#30re: Toughest Tony Category?

I think the toughest category will be Featured Actor in a Play, especially with all of the all-male ensembles that happen to exist. But I agree with everyone else. Actually, it seems to me that all of the races seem tight this year, either for a nomination or for the win. There surely doesn't seem like there are any frontrunners this year. Well, that's not true, but there aren't many. I think everyone and every show still has a fighting chance. I don't know whether to think that's exciting or pathetic, but it'll definitely be interesting.

~Steven

Benzy92 Profile Photo
Benzy92
#31re: Toughest Tony Category?
Posted: 5/9/05 at 8:39pm

who's gonna steal the fifth slot for actress in a musical? we know its sutton, victoria, sherie, and christina.. iis the fifth jenn gambatease or erin dilly? my money's on erin..

apdarcey
#32re: Toughest Tony Category?
Posted: 5/9/05 at 8:42pm

i would say erin dilly will get it over jenn... both she and her show got stronger reviews..

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#33re: Toughest Tony Category?
Posted: 5/9/05 at 8:45pm

Agreed, probably Erin.

~Steven

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#34re: Toughest Tony Category?
Posted: 5/9/05 at 8:57pm

anyone Know what category Cheyenne is in officially?

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#35re: Toughest Tony Category?
Posted: 5/9/05 at 8:58pm

I answered this last night; he's eligible for LEAD.
And agreed on the Erin Dilly! re: Toughest Tony Category?

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 5/9/05 at 08:58 PM

WiCkEDrOcKS
#36re: Toughest Tony Category?
Posted: 5/9/05 at 9:12pm

Yeah for Best Actress, Erin should take the last spot but who knows...MAYBE Jen?

RadioTV2 Profile Photo
RadioTV2
#37re: Toughest Tony Category?
Posted: 5/9/05 at 10:34pm

I think the toughtest category overall is Best Musical, but toughest to be nominated will be Featured Actor in a Play

My predix for the nods for the top awards:
Best Musical
Spamalot
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
The Light in the Piazza
The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee

All are locks, with only the remote possibility of “Little Women” taking the spot “Piazza”, but that is nearly unthinkable.

Best Play
Doubt
The Pillowman
Democracy
Gem of the Ocean

Doubt, Gem, and Pillowman are locks. Look for the possibility of Brooklyn Boy overtaking Democracy, although the latter had a nice run, and might be nodded to credit that.

Best Revival of a Play
Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
Glengarry Glen Ross
Twelve Angry Men
On Golden Pond

The first three are locks, and “Pond” is my best guess. Streetcar or Steel Magnolias could steal the spot, but Pond is the safe bet.

Best Revival of a Musical
Sweet Charity
La Cage Aux Folles
Pacific Overtures

All are locks.

Best Actress in a Musical
Victoria Clark, The Light in the Piazza
Christina Applegate, Sweet Charity
Sherie Rene Scott, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Sutton Foster, Little Women
Erin Dilly, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

All but Dilly are locks. Dilly could easily lose her spot to Jenn Gambatese, or who I would want to fill the spot, Kate Reinders.

Best Actor in a Musical
Norbert Leo Butz, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Tim Curry, Spamalot
Gary Beach, La Cage Aux Folles
Cheyenne Jackson, All Shook Up
David Hyde Pierce, Spamalot

Butz and Curry are locks, with Beach a fairly safe bet. Jackson and Pierce could be replaced by Lithgow, Azaria, or Daniel Davis (in that order).

Best Actor in a Play
Brían F. O’Byrne, Doubt
Billy Crudup, The Pillowman
James Earl Jones, On Golden Pond
Jeff Goldblum, The Pillowman
Adam Arkin, Brooklyn Boy

Again, first three are locks. Goldblum is safe. Arkin I threw in there due to his Drama Desk nod.

Best Actress in a Play
Cherry Jones, Doubt
Kathleen Turner, WAOVW
Laura Linney, Sight Unseen
Jessica Lange, The Glass Menagerie
Phylicia Rashad, Gem of the Ocean

Lange and Rashad have been left out of all of the races so far. Both should take the spots, but alternatives are Uggams and Mary Louise Parker.

Check out the Tony Awards Haven! www.tonyawardshaven.com

Thesbijean
#38re: Toughest Tony Category?
Posted: 5/9/05 at 10:43pm

It's Featured Actor by the way, not supporting...

Liz_Bennet Profile Photo
Liz_Bennet
#39re: Toughest Tony Category?
Posted: 5/9/05 at 11:04pm

Definitely Featured Actor in a Play. Between those Angry Men and those Angry Real Estate Agents, it's crowded (and angry). However, Featured Actress in a Play seems awfully empty. Mireille Enos (did I spell that right?) and Amy Ryan and maybe someone from Doubt and....who? Steel Magnolias???

"WHEN is the winter of our discontent?" "NOW is the winter of our discontent!" Visit My Blog

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#40re: Toughest Tony Category?
Posted: 5/9/05 at 11:11pm

The featured categories in musicals are definately exciting this year. In the actor category, Morrison, O'Hare, Kudisch, Folger, Borle and Ferguson are all award worthy and in the actress category, Bolger, O'Hara and Maxwell are all heavy contenders.

On a personal note, I doubt it would ever happen, but i'd love to see Lily Rabe walk off with a nomination and award for her work in "Steel Magnolias" which I adored.

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#41re: Toughest Tony Category?
Posted: 5/9/05 at 11:16pm

Liz_Bennet (are you a fan of the actress?), I think Adriane Lenox of Doubt could be safely assumed to be a lock, if not the frontrunner.

Plum
#42re: Toughest Tony Category?
Posted: 5/9/05 at 11:16pm

LisaGay Hamilton needs to win Best Featured Actress in a Play. Despite the being written by August Wilson and starring Phylicia Rashad, I doubt Gem of the Ocean will get any other recognition.

And I have to agree that the Featured Actor in a Play category is just monstrous this year. I don't find the Leading Actor/Actress in a Musical categories nearly as interesting as last year, but Best Musical is shaping up to be a nice race again. Updated On: 5/9/05 at 11:16 PM

WiCkEDrOcKS
#43re: Toughest Tony Category?
Posted: 5/9/05 at 11:19pm

Featured Actress in a Play?
-Adriane (sp) Lenox (DOUBT)
-Amy Ryan (STREETCAR)
-Frances Sternhagen (MAGNOLIAS)
-Christine Ebersole (MAGNOLIAS)

but for me the last spot is open and the winner seems a little bit open as well. Although Lenox will probably win, theres always that chance of the voters thinking (oh but shes only in one scene) and yet, she manages to steal the show in that one scene so, for me, it will probably be Lenox for her short but nonetheless riveting performance in Doubt.
Updated On: 5/9/05 at 11:19 PM

Plum
#44re: Toughest Tony Category?
Posted: 5/9/05 at 11:21pm

*sob*

See? Gem even gets ignored when it's specifically posted about. LisaGay Hamilton, people. She was wonderful, and the audience I was with when I saw the play thought so, too.

(Man, I can't believe I'm resorting to the audience reaction argument.)

apdarcey
#45re: Toughest Tony Category?
Posted: 5/9/05 at 11:30pm

just so everyone knows... it's FOGLER on the actor in spelling bee, not the coffee, folger.

MargoChanning
#46re: Toughest Tony Category?
Posted: 5/9/05 at 11:31pm

What about:

Adrienne Lenox
Amy Ryan
Lisagay Hamilton
Mireille Enos
Lily Rabe

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#47re: Toughest Tony Category?
Posted: 5/9/05 at 11:38pm

I'd be ok with that list..
But I secretly wish that Frances Sternhagen would be on it.

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#48re: Toughest Tony Category?
Posted: 5/9/05 at 11:40pm

Thanks for clearing that up for us, RadioTV2. Oh and nice Good Vibrations logo. re: Toughest Tony Category?

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

taylorliz
#49re: Toughest Tony Category?
Posted: 5/9/05 at 11:42pm

Everything is in plays this year because most of the musicals pretty much sucked. What about Best Revival of a Play? Or does it just automatically go to glengarry glenn ross? I think the toughest categories are Best Revival of a play, Best Featured Actress in a Play, and Best Featured Actor. I wish Leading actress in a play was up for grabs, cause i was so impressed w/ Kathleen, but it seems to be going to Cherry Jones, who was awesome. I guess i just have an affinity for brutal, innapropriate drunk women.
Updated On: 5/9/05 at 11:42 PM

Videos