pixeltracker

No nominations for Brooklyn??- Page 2

No nominations for Brooklyn??

umgeoboy Profile Photo
umgeoboy
#25re: No nominations for Brooklyn??
Posted: 5/10/05 at 12:48pm

I'm sorry corine I know how much you hate this show, but this is one case where we disagree completely. I think the costume designs for Brooklyn were beyond brilliant!

"Judy Garland, Jimmy Dean, You tragedy Queen" ~ Taboo

"Watching a frat boy realize just what he put his d!ck in...ex's getting std's...schadenfruede" ~ Ave Q

"when dangers near, exploit their fear" ~ Reefer Madness the Musical

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#26re: No nominations for Brooklyn??
Posted: 5/10/05 at 12:53pm

I love people who are saying the costumes of Brooklyn are innovative and original.
Case in point: the very 2nd musical I did in my life was Godspell. Our director sat it in an alley in Chicago. All of the people brought into the show by Jesus (which just happened to be me, tee-hee!) were street walkers, homeless people, etc. The cast proceeded to act out the show and the parables with costumes and props pulled from garbage cans or collected off the sidewalks...much like Brooklyn.
So it's not as original as you think. I'm not even claiming that idea was original when we did it in Godspell.

JasonM12480
#27re: No nominations for Brooklyn??
Posted: 5/10/05 at 12:54pm

Why, yes I do act. Visit my website to see more about my career and the roles I've played.

Try wearing 20lbs of animal fur, sweating profusely, and doing a kickline on a 53 degree angle 13 feet in the air - THAT's hard work!

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#28re: No nominations for Brooklyn??
Posted: 5/10/05 at 12:57pm

I was pulling for Eden, but I'm not surprised it didn't get anything. Eden is a very talented young woman, so I'm sure she'll get her chance eventually.

smartpenguin78 Profile Photo
smartpenguin78
#29re: No nominations for Brooklyn??
Posted: 5/10/05 at 12:58pm

I understand that you respect the work done in Brooklyn, although I don't agree with its quality, I respect the actors as well. But why did you feel the need to disparage Bee, more than one form of acting is "hard work".
Brooklyn just did not hold up in light of its own shorcomings and the very strong competition this year.

I stand corrected, you are as vapid as they say.

#30re: No nominations for Brooklyn??
Posted: 5/10/05 at 12:59pm

Corine- it's HEFTY bags and the costumes were clever and should have been nominated!

Rodgers
#31re: No nominations for Brooklyn??
Posted: 5/10/05 at 1:31pm

Ok Tony nods are very political - and has less to do with art or artistic merrit than one would think. A show has to get some reviews Brooklyn was panned - Keller though very good happens to be in a show that is not good(by most people's standard)hence no nominations. It's rare that a show that gets panned gets nominiations - Ok - Norbert in Thou Shalt Not and I'm sure there are others instances. But there are other shows that are just better. At the end of the day theatre is a business and the awards are more about what will sell tickets in Spamalot,Arizona, Spelling Bee,Wisconsin -Piazza,Illinois, and Dirty Rotten,Texas. Tony Award Winning sounds better than just the title of the show.
:)

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#32re: No nominations for Brooklyn??
Posted: 5/10/05 at 1:36pm

UME BOY,
I did not hate BKLYN. I was disappointed, but hate is a bit over the top.
I thought the cast were all talented. It just did not do it for me. Ramona on the other hand made me stay till the end.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#33re: No nominations for Brooklyn??
Posted: 5/10/05 at 1:37pm

I think there is a Fine Line Here.
The nominating comittee showed a little more understanding that a Musical doesn't put itself together,nominating the score, book and Director of the Nominated musicals show that they have clear favs this year.
Unfortunate for Eden, Ramona and the BKLYN costumes.
But Erin Dilly? can anyone find a decent review , more than even a sentence in any review of CCBB about her?

Tesse Profile Photo
Tesse
#34re: No nominations for Brooklyn??
Posted: 5/10/05 at 1:39pm

"anyone can get up on stage and pretend to be a little kid. It takes heart to tell a story and sing from the soul"

Thank you for the best laugh I've had in a while. It's easy to convincingly play a child? Oh, that's priceless...

Yes, absolutley, it takes heart to sing from the soul, but just about anyone can scream and shriek. Now, I'm not saying that the talented ensembe of Brooklyn doesn't do their darndest, but there is an old expression about silk purses and sow's ears. Give these actors good material, and they'll get the nominations they deserve.

"I hate musicals... People don't sing in real life."
"Well, maybe they should."
--Kiss of the Spider Woman (cut line)

ILoveWicked330
#35re: No nominations for Brooklyn??
Posted: 5/10/05 at 3:38pm

I am actually surprised BKLYN didn't get any nominations. Yes, it's not the greatest show but, it has a good moral at the end. I think it would have gotten atleast 1 nomination if they would have worked on the book alittle more. But mostly, make the songs more "Broadway". Though I think Eden did deserve maybe atleast a nomination, I also think that BKLYN is just a beginning for what her future is going to have. After BKLYN, she most likely will be cast into another show or something, and hopefully next year at this time, we will see under the Best Actress in a Musical, her name.

stylinbohemian
#36re: No nominations for Brooklyn??
Posted: 5/10/05 at 4:53pm

ALAS im depressed about the no nominations but i kinda saw it coming

"If There's One Thing to Learn it's You Just Can't Go Wrong If You Follow Your Heart, and End With A Song"

ShuQ Profile Photo
ShuQ
#37re: No nominations for Brooklyn??
Posted: 5/10/05 at 4:55pm

While I don't think that she deserves a nomination, I think this show made people realize what she was capable of in better conditions.

And I'm sorry, but I am not at all shocked that BKLYN didn't get any noms. This is supposed to be an awards show for the best on Broadway, the absolute best. Brooklyn, in the eyes of most, is not that. I think most would find it far from that. BKLYN can get sympathy from you guys but they aren't going to cut them any slack.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#38re: No nominations for Brooklyn??
Posted: 5/10/05 at 5:02pm

I thought BKLYN could've gotten a costume nomination, and I was hoping it would get it, but it didn't. I think Eden will have her chance eventually, just not in BKLYN. As much as I loved the show, I know that many others did not, and even though it's a bit disappointing I won't complain about it.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

Joshua488
#39re: No nominations for Brooklyn??
Posted: 5/10/05 at 5:03pm

I wasn't surprised. I don't think I've read one positive review about Brooklyn, so I didn't expect it to garner any nods.

Plum
#40re: No nominations for Brooklyn??
Posted: 5/10/05 at 5:10pm

Fact is, the field was just too crowded this year for Brooklyn to sneak in a nomination. Last year we had things like The Boy From Oz getting a Best Book nomination, but there's no room for filler nominations this time.

And by the way, before you go implying that it's only those old geezers who don't appreciate the brilliance of the show, I'm a college sophmmore, and after listening to the sampler CD for about a minute, I had to restrain myself from opening up the disc drive and snapping the thing in half.

I will say that the costumes were creative, and perhaps nomination-worthy, but like I said, it's a crowded field this year. Lots of worthy things have been left out, and I hardly think this is the most egregious of them. Sorry, Brooklyn fans.

bronxboundexpress Profile Photo
bronxboundexpress
#41re: No nominations for Brooklyn??
Posted: 5/10/05 at 5:16pm

I think it's awful that GOOD VIBRATIONS and DRACULA got no nominations either.

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#42re: No nominations for Brooklyn??
Posted: 5/10/05 at 5:33pm

what does the opening date have to do with it? and while any other year Ramona woulda desreved a nom but this year the supporting actress field was so freakin close! Maureen didnt even get a nod

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

IveGottaBeME
#43re: No nominations for Brooklyn??
Posted: 5/10/05 at 5:35pm

Brooklyns great

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#44re: No nominations for Brooklyn??
Posted: 5/10/05 at 5:40pm

Whilst reading this thread, I think longingly back on the days of the Hale-Bopp comet. Remember those wacky Heaven's Gate folks? Sometimes I wish the BKLYN devotees would take a page Marshall Applewhite's playbook.

Hell, I'll even spring for the new Nikes.

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

WickedShopofQ Profile Photo
WickedShopofQ
#45re: No nominations for Brooklyn??
Posted: 5/10/05 at 5:44pm

i would have given it costumes, definatly!
nothing else though, and sidebar, anyone can put some homeless people onn stage and watch them sing a little story. spelling bee champions are much more interesting

BEE a BEEliever
Vote Bee '05

...Please understand that it's still strange and frightning...

MargoChanning
#46re: No nominations for Brooklyn??
Posted: 5/10/05 at 5:45pm

Now Robbie, you know it's much easier (and cheaper) to just whip up a big ole' batch of Kool-Aid for the Brooklyn devotees. What goes better with cyanide -- Grape or Red?

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 5/10/05 at 05:45 PM

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#47re: No nominations for Brooklyn??
Posted: 5/10/05 at 5:46pm

We simply MUST be historically accurate:

Grape

(it was grape in Jonestown, wasn't it?)

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

mominator Profile Photo
mominator
#48re: No nominations for Brooklyn??
Posted: 5/10/05 at 5:50pm

robbie and Margo!! What am I going to do with you two?
Sorry (well not really !) Brooklyn fans. This year there is too much out there. I am bummed for David Hyde Pierce, and Michael Benjamin Washington.

That is right robbie!

"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien

MargoChanning
#49re: No nominations for Brooklyn??
Posted: 5/10/05 at 5:50pm

Yeah, Grape with extra sugar. Funny how many cult members have a sweet tooth.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Videos