pixeltracker

Random Wicked Musings (Chicago production)- Page 2

Random Wicked Musings (Chicago production)

TGIF Profile Photo
TGIF
#25re: Random Wicked Musings (Chicago production)
Posted: 5/23/05 at 3:19pm

Oh, I misread it. I thought KuhnKrazy was referring to when Fiyero was dragged off then all of No Good Deed, not her reaction to getting the note.

I want to write music. I want to sit down right now at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember and do the same thing every morning...for the rest of my life. - Jonathan Larson. Tick, Tick...BOOM!

MagicToDo82 Profile Photo
MagicToDo82
#26re: Random Wicked Musings (Chicago production)
Posted: 5/23/05 at 3:22pm

Most audience members aren't Broadway fanatics. They don't have a clue who Kendra (or Stephanie, for that matter) are, nor do they really care. Of course in the OBC Kristin got entrance applause. It's Kristin bleeping Chenoweth, and a New York theatre crowd.

Oh, and I just want to point out that this made me laugh ->>

"Perhaps the audiences in Toronto and Chicago are there to see and enjoy the show for what it is and not treat it like it was the reunion tour of the Backstreet Boys."

There's always room for pathos - and jazz hands.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#27re: Random Wicked Musings (Chicago production)
Posted: 5/23/05 at 3:23pm

No I am not the mayor! And I am not from Chicago originally, so I am not that sensitive about it at all. I was just saying that because audiences here have not really had the exposure to WICKED that the kids in NY have, or the opportunity to see it multiple times and become as obsessed as NY has we are going to be seeing it from different perspectives. If you took all the people out of the audience of any performance of WICKED that have seen the show before, I am sure the reaction would be much the same anywhere. Did the audiences in San Francisco react with such wild abandon as they do now in NY? I doubt it.

PEACE.

jczelyph Profile Photo
jczelyph
#28re: Random Wicked Musings (Chicago production)
Posted: 5/23/05 at 3:29pm

Sueleen, you are so bloody snarky. Who made you so witchy?

"Jane, I've been dealt a blow - I've been dealt a blow, Jane."

#29re: Random Wicked Musings (Chicago production)
Posted: 5/23/05 at 3:29pm

Sueleen, that's precisely the same point I made in my first post. It's the whole basis of why I started this thread in the first place.

"But by watching the show with an audience who seemed unfamiliar with it, a lot of things stood out to me."

Glad you agree with me!

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#30re: Random Wicked Musings (Chicago production)
Posted: 5/23/05 at 3:33pm

What was snarky?

PEACE.

brdlwyr
#31re: Random Wicked Musings (Chicago production)
Posted: 5/23/05 at 3:37pm

Kuhn - At the two matinees that I attended there were busloads of high school students who seemed to be very familiar with the show and were very enthsiastic. I saw it on Broadway once, and I found the Chicago audience more vocal on both occassionss.

Sueleen snarky????? Never!!

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#32re: Random Wicked Musings (Chicago production)
Posted: 5/23/05 at 5:05pm

I understand what you're saying now guys..got it!

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

CJWesselman Profile Photo
CJWesselman
#33re: Random Wicked Musings (Chicago production)
Posted: 5/23/05 at 5:18pm

I'm very much looking forward to seeing Wicked in Chicago this June. I'll be up there doing a show (BurgerTown: The Musical.) Does anyone know how well it's selling? Should I look into buying tickets ahead of time or will I be fine buying them a few days in advance? Thank you!

P.S. If it is selling out like crazy, I urge Chicagoers to come see BurgerTown: The Musical! Running at Theatre Building Chicago from June 2nd to the 19th!

http://www.burgertown.net/
http://www.theatrebuildingchicago.org

StephanietheStar
#34re: Random Wicked Musings (Chicago production)
Posted: 5/23/05 at 6:17pm

Chances of winning the lottery are very slim, cancellation tickets seem to be hard to come by as well! For the sit-down you may have a better chance, but to be safe I would buy ahead of time, esp if you can get great seats!

CJWesselman Profile Photo
CJWesselman
#35re: Random Wicked Musings (Chicago production)
Posted: 5/23/05 at 6:20pm

Thank you very much!

StephanietheStar
#36re: Random Wicked Musings (Chicago production)
Posted: 5/23/05 at 6:29pm

No problem! Good luck if you try the lottery and GREAT luck with your show!!

525600minutesWicked Profile Photo
525600minutesWicked
#37re: Random Wicked Musings (Chicago production)
Posted: 5/23/05 at 8:32pm

Just wanted to say, WICKED IS AMAZING !!! GO IDINA !!!

Even tho not many people liked it, I highly reccomend the novel !!

Fizz
#38re: Random Wicked Musings (Chicago production)
Posted: 5/23/05 at 10:20pm

I just saw it this past Sunday... I loved it. A lot of people complained about Elphie dragging the curtain herself but I think it went fine seeing as she's faking her own death. She'd have to work a bit.

Did anyone else get the teensiest bit annoyed by Derrik's "As Long As You're Mine" ? I'm all for vocal vibrato but it seemed like he was doing it a little too much and he looked like a bobblehead doll there.

But he did absolutely wonderful everywhere else.

The audience I was in caught most of the Galinda humor with her vocabulary and most of the other little things.

" I had been told Chicago had super enthusisastic audiences"

We do... you prolly just had a stuffy old person audience ^.^ Thats all.

Hahaha...
"Perhaps the audiences in Toronto and Chicago are there to see and enjoy the show for what it is and not treat it like it was the reunion tour of the Backstreet Boys."

Hehe... I love you.

StephanietheStar
#39re: Random Wicked Musings (Chicago production)
Posted: 5/24/05 at 12:11am

Fizz--As much as I love Derrick, I don't like him in Dancing through life (vocal wise) but I think he is pretty good in As long as You're mine.

Practically Perfect Profile Photo
Practically Perfect
#40re: Random Wicked Musings (Chicago production)
Posted: 5/24/05 at 3:42am

Stephanie, I love your interpretation of the note - I never thought of it as being sent from Fiyero, but that would make much more sense to her following actions, I think.

Thank you!

Mary P x

brdlwyr
#41re: Random Wicked Musings (Chicago production)
Posted: 5/24/05 at 11:03am

Stephanie - he is dreadful in As Long as Your Mine. The song is ruined.

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#42re: Random Wicked Musings (Chicago production)
Posted: 5/24/05 at 11:24am

I'm going to have to stop reading this thread so you all don't ruin the show for me on Thursday!!!

brdlwyr
#43re: Random Wicked Musings (Chicago production)
Posted: 5/24/05 at 11:29am

L - you will love it!!

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#44re: Random Wicked Musings (Chicago production)
Posted: 5/24/05 at 11:39am

I know I will! (after all, I have seen it before a few times...)

Just all the negative musings are making me worry!

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#45re: Random Wicked Musings (Chicago production)
Posted: 5/24/05 at 1:35pm

Both Kendra and Stephanie will get entrance applause from me when I see it on May 31. I'll be in the 2nd row, so you can be damn sure I'll lead the applause throughout the show if the audience isn't into it.

Fosse76
#46re: Random Wicked Musings (Chicago production)
Posted: 5/24/05 at 1:54pm

Chicago audiences are very reserved about entrance applauses. Chicago audiences would rather see Chicago actors than celebrities. case-in-point: "Sweet Charity" gave Christina Applegate muted applause, but Denis O'Hare received a thunderous entrance applause. Cathy Rigby also didn't receive an entrance applause in "Peter Pan." Having worked in Chicago for ten years, it seems that only celebrities who are known for theatre ever really receive entrance applause. Chicagoans are more finicky with theatre, mainly because there is so much of it in the area, a "named" performer means nothing to Chicago audiences.
Updated On: 5/24/05 at 01:54 PM

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#47re: Random Wicked Musings (Chicago production)
Posted: 5/24/05 at 1:55pm

"Even tho not many people liked it, I highly reccomend the novel!!"

I think you have that backwards - it's the show not many people like.

I love it.

LittleBitRacist Profile Photo
LittleBitRacist
#48re: Random Wicked Musings (Chicago production)
Posted: 5/24/05 at 6:45pm

haha, people snickered at the low note? Thats amusing...i really dont know why they keep it that way, with all the ones i've seen it sounds really forced/growl-y.

StephanietheStar
#49re: Random Wicked Musings (Chicago production)
Posted: 5/24/05 at 6:51pm

I didn't hear anyone laugh when Stephanie did the low note...
(on that note..Jenna doesn't do it...I'm not sure if it's cuz she can't hit it..or because she didn't feel like doing it at that particular performance)

Videos