pixeltracker

The Official "Let's Gossip about the Tony's" thread.- Page 2

The Official "Let's Gossip about the Tony's" thread.

bostonbroadwayfan
#25re: The Official 'Let's gossip about the Tony's thread'.
Posted: 6/6/05 at 9:52am

Christina looked scared to death on stage and I didn't like her eye make-up.

I used to love Anne Hathaway but I may have to change that opnion after last night, ew!

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#26re: The Official 'Let's gossip about the Tony's thread'.
Posted: 6/6/05 at 9:52am

"Mrs. Peters opening--I don't know about the opening, but she butchered both Norb's and John Lithgow's (it's GOW not GO) names. "

She actually pronounced LithGOW's name and Norbert's name correctly. I remember that because I was impressed and surprised that she pulled it off (she has a tendency to mispronounce names)

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#27re: The Official 'Let's gossip about the Tony's thread'.
Posted: 6/6/05 at 9:54am

Excellent point Wendy72 about Audra singing on the telecast. Here we have a multi-Tony winner and talented actress/singer and people like her should have been featured in the entertainment segments. Where was Bebe Neuwirth? SJP? Patti LuPone, etc.?

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
Bal
#29re: The Official 'Let's gossip about the Tony's thread'.
Posted: 6/6/05 at 10:39am

Well, SOMEbody pronounced John Lithgow's name wrong...

"...John LithGOW..."

And John's wife/girlfriend/friend patted him on the arm and he spread his hands like "Whattya gonna do".

I also agree with everything said about Christina Applegate. Meh.

I want me some more singing Matt Morrison! Piazza also underwhelmed me. I just didn't think it deserved all it got.

Spamalot, though...Chris Sieber's raver hair, and David Hyde Pierce's perkiness and Hank Azaria's reactions and Sara's costume..

Dayum. Rockin'.

"Well, obviously Company is about the Kennedy family. Bobby is played by Raul, and JFK is played by Harvey Fierstein." -vfd88

nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#30re: The Official 'Let's gossip about the Tony's thread'.
Posted: 6/6/05 at 10:41am

I love Adriane Lenox. Of course, I am a little biased. I'm also from Memphis and we were both theatre majors at the same small Southern college in West Tennessee.

paris27 Profile Photo
paris27
#31re: The Official 'Let's gossip about the Tony's thread'.
Posted: 6/6/05 at 11:09am

Loved seeing Norbert sing (didn't see DRS and was looking forward to seeing something performed from it...he deserved to win) and wasn't fond of Christina Applegate's performance.

Okay...I didn't seen Piazza...but the song performed at the show last night....it got on my nerves for some reason. Too much high pitched singing that I couldn't understand...my dog even stopped chewing on her bone and was whining at the TV! I did see Spamalot and know for a fact that Sara is much better than she was last night, so I'm hoping the Piazza song wasn't an indication of the whole show!

Hugh's "gotta dance" number was, well...just weird.

rKrispyt Profile Photo
rKrispyt
#32re: The Official 'Let's gossip about the Tony's thread'.
Posted: 6/6/05 at 11:43am

Bal, you haven't seen the costumes (throughout the show) nor the set, nor the lighting for Piazza, so how can you say "it didn't deserve all it got"? That makes no sense.

If I show you the darkness I hold inside, will you bring me to light?

alphieboy Profile Photo
alphieboy
#33re: The Official 'Let's gossip about the Tony's thread'.
Posted: 6/6/05 at 12:52pm

Anne's dress was quite ugly, as well as Nathan's hair. Although Sara was sick, she sounded great...and I do not believe she was lip singing.

"If I have something to say, the whole world (BroadwayWorld) should hear it." - Thenardier

seasons of love Profile Photo
seasons of love
#34re: The Official 'Let's gossip about the Tony's thread'.
Posted: 6/6/05 at 1:06pm

On the DRS website in the "Get Taken" clip thing John pronounces his name LithGO... hmmm

Anyway, I am still recovering from Anne's dress... Nathan's hair didn't bother me as much as it bothered some others i guess...:)

"I am unfinished- I am diminished With or without you..."

alphieboy Profile Photo
alphieboy
#35re: The Official 'Let's gossip about the Tony's thread'.
Posted: 6/6/05 at 1:12pm

I dont know, I just thought that Anne looked awful. I would give best dresed to...Kelli maybe or Idina...?

"If I have something to say, the whole world (BroadwayWorld) should hear it." - Thenardier

RentBoy86
#36re: The Official 'Let's gossip about the Tony's thread'.
Posted: 6/6/05 at 1:19pm

I was surprised with the BEE performance. I was in tears. I haven't seen the show, do they reference AL Sharpton in the show or was that just some "special guest?" I didn't get that. I wish they had spent more time singing though. I havne't seen DRS, but I didn't think "Great Big Stuff" was all that funny. I mean don't get me wrong, I love the score, but I just wasn't like rolling on the ground like I was expecting to. Spamalot didn't really make me laugh all that much either, although Sara sounded great. Piazza was good too, but I didn't get the Mic thing. This might be a rude question, but why does Victoria Clark sound like that? Like where is she from? she has a strange speaking voice. But wow, she is hot for her age!

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#37re: The Official 'Let's gossip about the Tony's thread'.
Posted: 6/6/05 at 1:27pm

i couldnt get over the fact that victoria clark's dress didn't fit her and her hair looked terrible...and honestly i thought kelli o'hara is the real star of "piazza" and she deserved her TONY. christina is just as bad in the show...i think she just got nominated becuz she is a hollywood star. and nathan lane's haircut was very cute.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

wendy72 Profile Photo
wendy72
#38re: The Official 'Let's gossip about the Tony's thread'.
Posted: 6/6/05 at 1:36pm

I need to correct my original post...I got it backwards..it's actually LithGO, and Bernadette said GOW. But I used to the say the same thing until I heard the "Get Taken" link.

And 2x Bernadette said what sounded like "Norbit" (rhymes with orbit) vs. "Norbert"..but she does have a unusual voice, so maybe that is how she pronounces things...but it sounded mispronounced.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#39re: The Official 'Let's gossip about the Tony's thread'.
Posted: 6/6/05 at 1:50pm

where is bernardette peters from ? she was terrible in the beginning of the show..as usual. but i noticed she had an accent...where is she from?

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

itstheM Profile Photo
itstheM
#40re: The Official 'Let's gossip about the Tony's thread'.
Posted: 6/6/05 at 2:11pm

Sara was really singing and although it sounded weird on TV at the theater, it sounded really really good.

Baby, dream your dream Close your eyes and try it!

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#41re: The Official 'Let's gossip about the Tony's thread'.
Posted: 6/6/05 at 2:15pm

LEAST FAVORITE MOMENTS FOR ME
-The Somewhere "tribute" to Sondheim
-Hugh Jackman singing too many songs. I love him, but still.
-Sara Ramirez's dress
-Christina Applegate's performance

FAVORITES
-The parts where Hugh Jackman actually posted
-Al Sharpton in Spelling Bee
-La Cage Aux Folles's performance-my mom saw the original twice and liked this one better
-The Avenue Q thing

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#42re: The Official 'Let's gossip about the Tony's thread'.
Posted: 6/6/05 at 2:26pm

opps. sorry! I got totally confused. Thanks for correcting the post.

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#43re: The Official 'Let's gossip about the Tony's thread'.
Posted: 6/6/05 at 2:28pm

lemme take a wild guess and say you don't like Bernadette Peters? She's from Ozone Park, NY. hehe

grizzabella
#44re: The Official 'Let's gossip about the Tony's thread'.
Posted: 6/6/05 at 2:58pm

Since this is the gossip thread: Did anybody notice if anyone in the La Cage cast,(besides the Cagelles, Gary Beach, and Robert Goulet who obviously had to be there) was in the theatre? For all the audience pans, I didn't see Michael Benjamin Washington, Gavin Creel or anyone else from the cast.
Is morale THAT bad at the Marquis?

"And the postman sighed as he scratched his head, you really rather thought she ought to be dead..."

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#45re: The Official 'Let's gossip about the Tony's thread'.
Posted: 6/6/05 at 3:04pm

norbert and michelle are definitely together. i think theyre really cute although ya know, im in love with him. lmao. just as long as hes happy, but in the back of my mind im thinking get back in the wheelchair!!!! hes mine!!! lmao

decotodd
#46re: The Official 'Let's gossip about the Tony's thread'.
Posted: 6/6/05 at 3:04pm

Definitely highs and lows to the telecast, just like every awards show. However, some surprises:

- Loved the music in PIAZZA; made me want to see it even more. Lush, melodic and none of the "American Idol" pop influence that seems to influence other shows.

- Spelling Bee was very funny - but not so much music. Does it need it or would it be just as good as a comedy?

- DRS - liked NOrbert's perf more than I expected to, but some of those lyrics: rhyming poker with Al Roker?

- I was one of the few who seemed fond of Hugh's medley. Not so fond of his duet with Aretha. Their styles are so different that they don't really mesh well, and she sounded in poor voice.

- I love B. Peters but thought she's also had better nights, vocally.

- Liev Schreiber is one of my favorite actors and I had hoped his speech would have been better. Ditto to all those who won who couldn't seem to pull it together. Either practice your speech or write it down, but lose the rote laundry list of individuals (agent, manager, lawyer) and be inspirational, funny or least humble. The poor acceptance speech is an issue for all televised shows these days and is often blamed for the sagging ratings.

- Prod Numbers that Made me NOT want to see the shows: CHARITY, SPAMALOT.

MlleDaae Profile Photo
MlleDaae
#47re: The Official 'Let's gossip about the Tony's thread'.
Posted: 6/6/05 at 3:42pm

I caught the last hour or so of it, but is it true Christina fell? Something along the lines of this?

"You are young. Life has been kind to you ...You will learn."
Updated On: 7/12/19 at 03:42 PM

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#48re: The Official 'Let's gossip about the Tony's thread'.
Posted: 6/6/05 at 3:47pm

...i got home and popped in my tony vhs. im watching it again. up to the DRS perf. i LOVE it! lol.

kangaroo Profile Photo
kangaroo
#49re: The Official 'Let's gossip about the Tony's thread'.
Posted: 6/6/05 at 3:55pm

My quickie thoughts:

THE ACTUAL AWARDS
1. Nathan looked fine & I liked the buzzed hair
2. Hugh did a great job as host this year. I loved it when he was on the stage, and I was so glad to see him again! I feel like it's been forever...
3. CONGRATULATIONS to Victoria Clark [though I honestly was rooting for Sutton Foster], Sara Ramirez [though I was rooting for Kelli O'Hara], and Spamalot.
4. I wish Matthew Morrison had won!! That was my big disappointment of the night.

THE PERFORMANCES
1. Hugh outshined Aretha Franklin
2. Christina Applegate was AWFUL... which is not really surprising to me, because I never thought she was good in the first place... actually I think she was worse than what I thought she was going to be
3. Did Bernadette Peters get a chin implant? When she was singing, I swear... she got something done

4. I loved the way they opened with the Tonys by having each of the 4 musicals perform a tiny bit... MATTHEW MORRISON!!
5. Sara Ramirez sounded great even though she was sick, I am sure the average person probably didn't even know because it was hard to tell [besides her coughing in her acceptance speech]
6. DRS was great... Norbert did a hilarious job with the song and with his acceptance speech too. "Great big stuff"
7. Bee... I dont' understnad why that show is so appealing to people. I guess it was funny, but I honestly didn't think it deserved a nomination for a Tony.
8. and LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA! I loved both of their performances. I love that song to begin with, so I'm really glad that they chose it. I would have chosen Passeggiata, but oh well. GREAT JOB

~kangaroore: The Official 'Let's gossip about the Tony's thread'.

NIL MAGNUM NISI BONUM "No greatness without goodness."

RENThead, enLIGHist, Ozalot, Grobanite, Ringer, Pickwick LW, Wicked, Lost, American Dreams, West Wing
Lea S. Hugh J. Adam P. Idina M. Matt M. Taye D.

Videos