pixeltracker

What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?- Page 2

What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?

joeybiltmore1
jwsel
#26re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 1:23pm

Cats. What was the great Dennis Miller line on SNL about Cats' 1000th show: "For the 1000th time, a guy turned to his wife and asked 'What the hell was that *%$!?'" My sentiments exactly.

Aspects of Love. Walked out at intermission. What a snooze.

The Grapes of Wrath. This won the 1990 Tony for best play, but despite the accolates was embarrassingly bad. Gary Sinise was good, as was one other actor (I think it was Kathryn Erbe, but can't recall). The rest of the acting, though, seemed right out of a high school drama production.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#27re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 1:45pm

The Lion King
The Producers

My Name in Lights
#28re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 1:51pm

Thank you for this thread! I thought I was alone thinking that the following were so incredibly overrated.

PHANTOM OF THE OPERA was literally PURE TORTURE except for the overall 15 minutes or so that the phantom is actually in the play. The rest was like being in detention and not being able to leave. It amazes me that this show still has the lines of people waiting to see it. You would think that word of mouth could kill it, but it goes on and on. Guess the people who love it speak louder re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?.

HAIRSPRAY was so disappointing to me. I actually saw it twice on discounts, the first time was when it initially opened. I went back the second time about a year or so later thinking maybe it was just because I had the beginnings of pneumonia the first time I saw it; and possibly, it was me and the critics were right...they weren't. It still was a big disappointment.

SPAMALOT, although not really bad, wasn't memorable for me. Some of the jokes were just "too beaten to death, even for Monty Python jokes." There were some good things: Tim Curry, Sara Ramirez, but mostly it disappoints and doesn't deserve all of the accolades it gets. When I walk past the theatre and see all of the people on line waiting for SRO or cancelled tickets, I often wonder if they realize that a lot of them are going to be disappointed at all of the hype and lack of delivery of this award winning show.

Of course, just my opinion, but a lot of the shows that get panned or mixed reviews by the so called critics, I enjoy: LENNON; ALL SHOOK UP; MOVIN OUT; ROCKY HORROR; the list goes on. I usually find that with just a few exceptions, most of the critics don't love the shows I do. Then again, critiques are basically opinions anyway. Critics happen to get paid for writing theirs, but it doesn't make theirs right and the rest of ours wrong. I just wish people wouldn't put so much credence into what the critics say, and just use them as guidelines.

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#29re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 1:51pm

Rent and The Producers

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

jam_man
#30re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 1:54pm

As everyone else says, Wicked and Cats. Almost sleeped during Cats, and while I was expecting Wicked to be worse than it was, it wasn't too bad, but still amazingly overrated! It's not the best thing since sliced bread - it's not even the best thing since Hairspray!

"Who is Stephen Sondheim?" -roninjoey
"The man who wishes he had written Phantom of the Opera!" - SueleenGay

GO CARDINALS!!!

Theatreboy33 Profile Photo
Theatreboy33
#31re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 1:56pm

I suppose I would say Wicked. But can we really call Wicked "overrated?" I would think the term comes from false media hype, and if i recall back to halloween of '03, the critics were not too kind to Wicked. I would hardly call any of their reviews raves. The thing that makes Wicked impossible to escape is the driving foce behind so many pop culture fads--teenage girls.

#32re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 2:05pm

so i really have no opinion on this issue, but Sant, were you in A/B/C/D101 when you saw spamalot?? i'm assuming you were from your avatar and let me say one thing... lucky duck!!! all right yall can get back to business here.

worrell4077
#33re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 2:15pm

Wicked-It was alright, but it wasn't really what everyone said it was.

Cats-I almost fell asleep and was completely bored the entire time.

chenofan Profile Photo
chenofan
#34re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 2:29pm

Wicked - the cast was better than the show
Cats - "what the hell was that?"
The Lion King - "my dad at the end "that was it?!"
Phantom - nuf said
Producer - not that funny

"You look like a Christmas tree with a drinking problem!" - MEMPHIS

bythesword84 Profile Photo
bythesword84
#35re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 2:34pm

Rent
Phantom
The Producers

And hang on, when did you win the discus?

Conor Profile Photo
Conor
#36re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 3:24pm

Cats- aaaagh I feel like everytime relatives came to town my family HAD to see this show and I hated it!

Avenue Q- really not all that funny...

Spamalot- oi vey

Rent- Good show, but it didn't live up to all the hype my friends had created for it. I did like it, but I couldn't help feeling a little disappointed, liked I'd somehow missed what was so incredible about it.

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#37re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 3:31pm

Conor, I feel the same way when I see Rent now. After 10 years I think that while the cast is technically good, they are all so detached from that original group that actually knew Jonathan and felt a since of ownership of the show.

However, when I was seeing it in 1996 with other Rentheads after camping out to see it with the OBC who had such emotional investments to the show and direct ties to Jonathan Larson and all the media coverage was in full force it was a pretty amazing experience.
Updated On: 8/21/05 at 03:31 PM

Conor Profile Photo
Conor
#38re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 3:34pm

A lot of my friends had seen it original cast, but I didn't see it till fall of '03 (ridiculous I know). Larson actually went to my high school... a few of my friends knew him and his family.

DefyingEDCT Profile Photo
DefyingEDCT
Sant
#40re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 4:27pm

Shootinstr11:

Yep, B101.

And the timing was perfect: I had my birthday the next day (they didn't know it, but it was a great thing for me!)!!

#41re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 4:33pm

oh man you are so lucky, that must've been great. they guy in d101 when i saw it was named dennis and so chris started acting all flattered and john bolton (who was filling in for tim) asked his last name and the guy (old oriental man) was like galahad. but he lied. good thinking on his part though. sorry for the thread jack again guys.

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#42re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 4:33pm

I can't decide between Wicked or Rent. I didn't like either of them and was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO disappointed.

-Anyone want to turn anarchist with me?

"Bless you and all who know you, oh wise and penguined one." ~YouWantItWhen????

colleen_lee
#43re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 4:37pm

Cats. I like most of the music but there is just no show to go along with it.

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

Sant
#44re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 4:51pm

Shootinstr:

Yes, it was an amazing experience! John Bolton was King Arthur as Tim was off, and JB was brilliant in the role! When I went up on the stage the first thing he said to me was "Tell me, you're not the president of The Tim Curry Fan Club, are you??" It was hilarious! I can't remember a word of the song they sang to me except that it included my name, but I do remember that Christopher Sieber, who was standing right behind my left shoulder, was singing quite loudly... re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?

Sorry guys the jack!

#45re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 4:56pm

haha he asked the same thing to our guy, it was great. and did he carry the grail out there and act like he got it from your seat? bc i mean i think its something you would notice down there. yeah i've decided they dont care if we thread jack here. but if yo do, i apologize. and just so i can anzwer the question i agree with phantom being overrated

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#46re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 5:03pm

Spamalot

I think it's way better to go to a show having LOW expectations. (Of course, that doesn't ALWAYS help!)

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars

Greekmusicalfan Profile Photo
Greekmusicalfan
#47re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 5:33pm

Cats and The Producers

Kringas
#48re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 5:46pm

Add my vote to the Hairspray pile. I just didn't get it.

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#49re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 5:47pm

I could not stand Cats.

Videos