pixeltracker

Raúl Esparza to Star in John Doyle-Helmed Company Revival- Page 2

Raúl Esparza to Star in John Doyle-Helmed Company Revival

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#25re: Raúl Esparza to Star in John Doyle-Helmed Company Revival
Posted: 11/14/05 at 3:59pm

I know this is such a dumb question but Im totally blanking out. Does Bobby sing BEING ALIVE?

Lord, to hear Raul sing BEING ALIVE...Gahh...*falls out of computer chair and dies of excitment*

RentBoy86
#26re: Raúl Esparza to Star in John Doyle-Helmed Company Revival
Posted: 11/14/05 at 4:08pm

Planning my trip now...i'll be on spring break during that time. its only a 8 hr drive! ha.

Theatreboy33 Profile Photo
Theatreboy33
#27re: Raúl Esparza to Star in John Doyle-Helmed Company Revival
Posted: 11/14/05 at 4:12pm

I really think Doyle's sweeney staging is a one trick pony. Im fine with actors playing instruments because they are in an asylum, but to put the same concept of actors playing instruments in company--i guess i just don't get it. Firstly, it seems unambitious on Doyle's part, secondly, Company is so based in the real world, how will he possibly justify the characters playing their own music. Oh well, i dont really think Company is even relevanttoday, so we'll see how this turns out.

SorryGrateful
#28re: Raúl Esparza to Star in John Doyle-Helmed Company Revival
Posted: 11/14/05 at 4:15pm

I agree with you, Theatreboy. It's really neat with Sweeney, but to do it for another show seems lazy.

You promised me poems. ~Tricky

smartpenguin78 Profile Photo
smartpenguin78
#29re: Raúl Esparza to Star in John Doyle-Helmed Company Revival
Posted: 11/14/05 at 4:25pm

I think Company may be the most relevant today (with some tweaks)
Also, it may be one trick pony, but the concept really fits Company to me, maybe even more than Sweeney.
The show is all so internal to start with, it lends itself to abstraction. New York socialites with their instruments.

Also, Bobby does sing "Being Alive" and that makes me there because of the Raul casting all by itself.

I stand corrected, you are as vapid as they say.

angelic1 Profile Photo
angelic1
#30re: Raúl Esparza to Star in John Doyle-Helmed Company Revival
Posted: 11/14/05 at 4:30pm

Ok, I'm going. So I have to drive from NYC to Ohio. Ah well, I'm doing it. Spring break means I'll be there for opening night, baby! I love Company and I would drive to Cincinatti just to hear Raul sing 'Being Alive'. Anyone else gonna be there opening night?

"Nothing's lost forever. In this world, there is a kind of painful progress. Longing for what we've left behind, and dreaming ahead." -Tony Kushner's Angels in America

fiatlux
#31re: Raúl Esparza to Star in John Doyle-Helmed Company Revival
Posted: 11/14/05 at 4:53pm

"I really think Doyle's sweeney staging is a one trick pony"

I've known John Doyle's work for around 15 or so years and I can assure that it's not. The productions are all very different and to be honest after you get used to it, the fact that actors are playing an instrument is not such a revolutionary idea, it just becomes another facet of their performance.
Updated On: 11/14/05 at 04:53 PM

Theatreboy33 Profile Photo
Theatreboy33
#32re: Raúl Esparza to Star in John Doyle-Helmed Company Revival
Posted: 11/14/05 at 5:08pm

"New York socialites and their instruments." Well apparently I've been attending the wrong parties. That, or Woody Allen movies have really been misinterpreting NY socialites. Perhaps parties have both a coatroom and an saxaphone case closet. Im sorry, i dont mean this as an attack or to be mean-spirited. The term just made me laugh. we'll see how it turns out. too early to judge. those were just my off-the-bat feelings.

smartpenguin78 Profile Photo
smartpenguin78
#33re: Raúl Esparza to Star in John Doyle-Helmed Company Revival
Posted: 11/14/05 at 5:40pm

I didn't mean it literally, certainly not that socialites play instruments at parties. I simply meant that the concept of New Yorker's at a party with instruments works as well as insane asylum inmates using them.
To me though, It is not the case that the "characters play instruments," with Sweeney at least the instruments are an extension of the actor, they work as if they were a part of the actor's voice.

I understand what you are saying and don't feel attacked at all. re: Raúl Esparza to Star in John Doyle-Helmed Company Revival Misunderstood maybe, but that happens if you take what I say literally, it tends to sound pretty insane.

I stand corrected, you are as vapid as they say.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#34re: Raúl Esparza to Star in John Doyle-Helmed Company Revival
Posted: 11/14/05 at 5:54pm

I am waiting for Dracula with everyone playing their own instruments. Than again you could have a revival of Oh Calcutta done the same way or didn't they do that in the original production ?

Mull & discuss

Poster Emeritus

mebice Profile Photo
mebice
#35re: Raúl Esparza to Star in John Doyle-Helmed Company Revival
Posted: 11/14/05 at 6:00pm

YES! God has blessed ohioans! I will be there! My friend goes to CCM and everything so I have a place to stay after that 5 hour car ride. I might drive down to see it a couple of times, but I might be in rehearsals with Vincent Dowling at that time....YEAH!!! !

Its sondheim...but its Raul...so its still worth the five hour drive. :)

"Hold up your head. Never be afraid to shine. Viva la difference in my body and my mind. All out with loneliness Such a waste of time. Come in from the outside" ~ Taboo

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#36re: Raúl Esparza to Star in John Doyle-Helmed Company Revival
Posted: 11/14/05 at 6:52pm

haha, no, I didn't implode. I was at the Rent CD signing.

The chances of getting out there are very, very small for me; I don't think my parents would let me travel halfway across the country to see Raúl, but that is the week of my twentieth birthday, so maybe they'll reconsider. It's okay. He won't be gone forever.

In any event, and in unselfish terms, I'm glad he's got something else lined up so fast, because he should ALWAYS be working.

Good for you, Raúl.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Marguerite Chauvelin
#37re: Raúl Esparza to Star in John Doyle-Helmed Company Revival
Posted: 11/14/05 at 7:18pm

I get to see this in March! On Meet the Artists Day! I'm glad I live in Cincinnati for once. (:

If Percy Blakeney were in Les Mis....

Percy: Sink me! If it isn't Javvurt!
Javert: Zsah-vair, it's pronounced Zsah-vair.
Pecry: But it's spelled J-A-V-E-R-T Javvurt.
Javert: Repeat after me Zsah...Zsah....
Percy: Oh! Zsa-Zsa! Like the Gabor sister! Well I personally have always prefered Eva.
Javert: (Looks for gun)

almostxfamous Profile Photo
almostxfamous
#38re: Raúl Esparza to Star in John Doyle-Helmed Company Revival
Posted: 11/14/05 at 9:43pm

This is amaaazing for Raul. I'm so happy he got something else so quickly, because as Emcee said, he should ALWAYS be working.

Company + Raul = Wonderousness.

Yesssss. But whyyyy not here. Why.

C is for Company
#39re: Raúl Esparza to Star in John Doyle-Helmed Company Revival
Posted: 11/14/05 at 10:20pm

Hey, I'm all for John Doyles excellence in taking great shows and taking them farther to new places. A company revival would be one of the top 5 best shows that I would love to see revived. However, Raul.... I know I'm absolutely in the minority here on this one but I pray he doesnt butcher those high notes.

luvtheEmcee
#40re: Raúl Esparza to Star in John Doyle-Helmed Company Revival
Posted: 11/14/05 at 10:30pm

He has a ridiculous range; he can definitely do it. The only reason for thinking he can't is not liking the sound of his voice ON the higher notes, which is certainly valid.

C is for Company
#41re: Raúl Esparza to Star in John Doyle-Helmed Company Revival
Posted: 11/14/05 at 10:39pm

Ok, yes you definitely put it that way for validity. I do know he is insanely capable but eventually it can irritate me but hooray for awesome production with a good name in it

luvtheEmcee
#42re: Raúl Esparza to Star in John Doyle-Helmed Company Revival
Posted: 11/14/05 at 10:40pm

Well, I certainly think he has enough sense not to scream a show like Company the way he screamed Rocky Horror or Taboo. He can sing it legit, I'm sure.

But I know some people don't like the wacky vibrato, and that's cool. Either way you slice it, he's a hell of an actor. re: Raúl Esparza to Star in John Doyle-Helmed Company Revival

C is for Company
#43re: Raúl Esparza to Star in John Doyle-Helmed Company Revival
Posted: 11/14/05 at 10:50pm

Well I loved it in rocky horror, it was so fitting and awesome, I even complimented him on it after Chitty, but Chitty however I did not like it in much at all. But best of luck to him in Company, great show

Roninjoey Profile Photo
Roninjoey
#44re: Raúl Esparza to Star in John Doyle-Helmed Company Revival
Posted: 11/14/05 at 10:51pm

Definitely pro Raúl, but I do agree it's kind of cheap to recycle the instruments thing from Sweeney Todd. I don't really see any justification to have the characters play their own instruments. Plus, doesn't this rule out extensive choreography? I think dancing benefits Company. Also, where Sweeney Todd is loaded with solo numbers, Company is loaded with chorus numbers. Complicated chorus numbers that involve people speaking rapidly on and off. I guess I can see the accompaniment relying on guitar and drums, I just don't hear it sounding very nice in my mind (even in the Sweeney revival, for how cool it was, I missed the big orchestrations). I just don't want to hear a reedy piano backup. And also the subject matter is already so intellectual... I think it's just gonna come off a bit pretentious.

yr ronin,
joey

Chrysanthemum62001
#45re: Raúl Esparza to Star in John Doyle-Helmed Company Revival
Posted: 11/14/05 at 11:04pm

I REALLY hope Raúl plays the guitar!

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

luvtheEmcee
#46re: Raúl Esparza to Star in John Doyle-Helmed Company Revival
Posted: 11/14/05 at 11:05pm

I was just about the say that.

greatdct
#47re: Raúl Esparza to Star in John Doyle-Helmed Company Revival
Posted: 11/14/05 at 11:06pm

I will have to be peeled off of the floor if that happens.

C is for Company
#48re: Raúl Esparza to Star in John Doyle-Helmed Company Revival
Posted: 11/14/05 at 11:10pm

I jsut find that there will be many more limits on this than sweeney in terms of choreography and tying up the actors with instruments. I mean Sweeney Todd has much more simpler percussion than Company and Company involves so many actors at once, I can't imagine filling in spaces while one person juggles another thing, I just find this one a little too much. However, I can't complain, its Company, thus my name. However there WILL be a problem if I dont see this come here to N.Y.!

luvtheEmcee
#49re: Raúl Esparza to Star in John Doyle-Helmed Company Revival
Posted: 11/14/05 at 11:13pm

Well, just because the director is the same doesn't mean he'll choose the exact same concept. re: Raúl Esparza to Star in John Doyle-Helmed Company Revival Sure, his work will have similar strains, I'm sure, but there's no rule saying it's got to be exact in order to preserve his style. re: Raúl Esparza to Star in John Doyle-Helmed Company Revival We shall see...

Videos