2007 tony predictions

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#25re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/13/06 at 9:17am

Best Revival Musical: LES MIS, COMPANY, A CHORUS LINE, 110 IN THE SHADE.

Norm Lewis will win Best Actor in a Musical.

Christine Ebersole will win Best Actress in a Musical.

Best Musical nominees: MARY POPPINS, GREY GARDENS, THE TIMES..., THE PIRATE QUEEN.

Julianne Moore will wow everyone in her Broadway debut and win Best Actress in a Play.

stageishome
#26re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/13/06 at 9:58am

Isn't Billy Elliot coming next season?

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#27re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/13/06 at 10:01am

considering how Sweeney Todd lost, I can't see the Tony voters voting for Company. Especially since the competition will be better with ACL, Les Miz & 110 in the Shade.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#28re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/13/06 at 10:06am

Charlotte d'Amboise as Cassie in A CHORUS LINE will be amazing. Deidre Goodwin as Shiela in A CHORUS LINE may get Featured Actress. She is reallllyyy good.

ACL and LES MIZ will be in close competition for Best Revival, I'm sure. And CurtainPullDowner, that's exactly WHY they should be nominated/win. They won before so why mess with perfection? re: 2007 tony predictions

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#29re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/13/06 at 10:59am

Ebersole's Tony may as well be engraved now.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#30re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/13/06 at 11:06am

If this year is any indication...
LEGALLY BLONDE WILL LIKE TOTALLY SWEEP EVERYTHING! 111<3

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#31re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/13/06 at 11:45am

Well I like my revivals to be fresh and re-invented.
But that's just me, i agree ACL was brilliant and I look forward to seeing it again but if it's the same as it was , to me that is not award worthy.
just my opinion.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#32re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/13/06 at 12:02pm

Pajama Game wasn't particularly innovative, it was just an insanely fun show.

I completely agree with you that the fresh, re-invented shows WILL win, but at the end of the day, people will vote for what they thought was the most enjoyable, especially musicals.

Anastasia_Beaverhausen Profile Photo
Anastasia_Beaverhausen
#33re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/13/06 at 12:11pm

If Billy Elliot does come, and is done right, it could do quite well at the Tonys. I just hope Hayden Gwynne makes the journey to Broadway...

neomystyk29 Profile Photo
neomystyk29
#34re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/13/06 at 12:12pm

Best Revival of A Musical:
A Chorus Line- Winner
Les Miserables
110 In The Shade
Company

Best Actress In A Musical
Charlotte d'Amboise, A Chorus Line
Audra McDonald, 110 In The Shade
Christine Ebersole, Grey Gardens - Winner
Ashley Brown, Mary Poppins
Stephanie J Block, The Pirate Queen
(potentially whoever is playing Elle in Legally Blonde could take one of these spots)

Best Musical
The Pirate Queen - Winner
Grey Gardens
Mary Poppins
A Tale of Two Cities
(Legally Blonde is also a possibility as is The Times...)

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#35re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/13/06 at 12:13pm

Les Mis will certainly be nominated for Best Revival, but I doubt it will win.

I'd like to see Stephanie J. Block take something for Pirate Queen. Hell, I just want to see Pirate Queen. It's already got the best name ever. :3

rflpfl2
#36re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/13/06 at 12:22pm

Is A Tale of Two Cities coming to Broadway?

ahimsa Profile Photo
ahimsa
#37re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/13/06 at 12:34pm

Best Actor in a Musical, Gavin Lee, Mary Poppins.

He's infectious! And I mean that in a good way.

sydney23 Profile Photo
sydney23
#38re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/13/06 at 12:45pm

I just have to ask - do you have a crystal ball or something? How can one predict Pirate Queen as a winner for Best Musical when it has had no production yet and nobody's heard a song or word of the script yet? Just wondering!!! re: 2007 tony predictions

jimnysf
#39re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/13/06 at 12:46pm

Best Musical will be the as yet unknown, "These Boots Are Made For Walkin". It will use the Nancy Sinatra songbook and will be about her life as Frank's daughter, her rise to the top of the pop charts in the 1960's, her movie (one with Elvis which will allow for an Elvis song) and her later struggles.

Best Actress in a Musical: Britney Spears as Nancy.

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.
Updated On: 6/13/06 at 12:46 PM

gustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
#40re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/13/06 at 12:57pm

Audra!!! ok so Ebersole will win the Tony but at least Audra will win the Drama Desk!

RIP Natasha Richardson. ~You were a light on this earth ~

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#41re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/13/06 at 1:22pm

sydney23 - because it's called PIRATE QUEEN! I don't know about everyone else, but I personally find a title like that very inspiring. Obviously if it turns out to suck later, opinions will be revised, but with Stephanie J. Block and that title, it's certainly off to a good start. re: 2007 tony predictions

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#42re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/13/06 at 1:27pm

I wouldn't count out High Fidelity when the announcements for Best Book, Best Score and Best Musical are announced. In fact, given the list of things slated to open, I'd say it's my early favorite for Score, if only because it's got blazingly great lyrics and it's the introduction to the Broadway world of Amanda Green, the very talented daughter of Adolph Green.

neomystyk29 Profile Photo
neomystyk29
#43re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/13/06 at 2:03pm

Gustof I agree, but I say it's between Audra and Steph Block.

BroadwayBaby6 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby6
#44re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/13/06 at 2:10pm

Chorus Line will not be a commercial or a critical hit...The revival will be a wax museum staging of the original without the original stars. As talented as the ACL revival cast is, they do not have the magic that Donna McKechnie, Priscilla Lopez, Ron Dennis, Sammy Williams, etc. had.

I'm sure you'll all flame me for this but I had to say it, kids.

"It does what a musical is supposed to do; it takes you to another world. And it gives you a little tune to carry in your head. Something to take you away from the dreary horrors of the real world. A little something for when you're feeling blue. You know?"

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#45re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/13/06 at 2:20pm

Company will win for Best Revival BECAUSE Sweeney Todd lost. The New York Times article last week (Friday?) quoted a handful of Tony voters who thought Sweeney's win was a foregone conclusion and then went ahead and voted for Pajama Game. I can't help but think some of those voters will swing their votes back at Company as a way of rewarding both productions. It will be interesting to see if John Doyle gets nominated again. By most accounts his Company is in some ways better directed than his Sweeney, yet having already won an award for the latter I'm curious as to whether voters will even consider him for "doing the same thing" again.

RentBoy86
#46re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/13/06 at 2:24pm

What about High Fidelity? The song on the NEO Recording is really great. I think it could be nominated for best musical and Will Chase for best actor. Wow, it's going to be a crowded season, with no sure winners. I'm not sure I'd guarantee Ebersole's win just yet. I'm not sure Ashley Brown will get nominated for Mary Poppins. It may be snubbed like Tarzan.

jimnysf
#47re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/13/06 at 2:33pm

And don't forget "These Boots Are Made For Walkin"!

And there is always "Oprah!, The Musical!" waiting in the wings.

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

sydney23 Profile Photo
sydney23
#48re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/13/06 at 2:39pm

OK Weez - i'll buy that - sort of like picking a racehorse based on its name and jockey (as good reasons as any - i suppose!)

MargoChanning
#49re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/13/06 at 2:45pm

Your statement is quite silly, Broadwaybaby6. The original stars were only together in the show for about 8 months or so (the show opened at the end of July 1975 and then half the cast left around April '76 to head up the LA company and the whole group never all performed together again) yet the show continued to thrill and dazzle audiences for another 14 years (and beyond that on tour). You make it sound like the show doesn't work without the original cast which is ludicrous given the incredibly short amount of time they were together and how many brilliant casts of the show there were after their 8 months (not counting the run at the Public).

I saw the original cast of ACL back in 1976 and returned to the Shubert Theatre over a half dozen times after that and found the show to be electrifying every single time -- and I saw several replacement casts that were even more powerful and dynamic than the originals were. THAT'S why it's one of the most successful shows in the history of theatre -- ANY cast of first rate dancer/singers can re-create the magic of the show. It is completetly unreliant on stars or the original cast. And frankly, other than maybe McKechnie and perhaps Kelly Bishop, I wouldn't call any of the original cast the definitive interpreters of their roles. While yes, they were present at the creation and part of it with their stories, and yes there was something special and different about them from any other cast, the fact is that in the past 30 years I've seen better performances in each of those roles. I've seen several far more talented Dianas, Richies, Pauls and Vals than Lopez, Dennis, Williams and Blair and had many magical nights with this show since the orignal cast left (I've seen the show about a dozen times between the Shubert, national tours and regional productions).

As long as Bennett's genius shines through -- and I'm so GLAD that they're recreating one of the most briilliant pieces of staging in the history of Broadway; there's too much energy and electricity in it for it to ever feel like a museum piece -- I think it'll do very well with the critics and I think that a new generation is going to discover this show and it should do fine at the box office. I don't expect another 15 year run, but it'll recoup.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 6/13/06 at 02:45 PM

Videos