pixeltracker

Sally Field Replaces Betty Buckley in new ABC series...- Page 2

Sally Field Replaces Betty Buckley in new ABC series...

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#25re: Sally Field Replaces Betty Buckley in new ABC series...
Posted: 7/12/06 at 11:39am

Good point Garland Girl. Betty is quite intense and does not radiate warmth. I've seen her live in plays and musicals and she does well with darker more brooding and sad material. From the notes on the show, Betty might not be the right fit. We will see. I wonder if they will air the already filmed episodes with Betty and then just replace with Sally or re-shoot it all. I'd love to see the contrast if they just replace her with Sally after the pilot episodes.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

JohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
#26re: Sally Field Replaces Betty Buckley in new ABC series...
Posted: 7/12/06 at 12:14pm

I don't think it's true that she does not radiate warmth. Look at EIGHT IS ENOUGH and CARRIE (the original film). With the right director, she can radiate warmth, if warmth is what is required.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#27re: Sally Field Replaces Betty Buckley in new ABC series...
Posted: 7/12/06 at 12:36pm

True EIE and Carrie were warm characters but she still plays them fairly austere. I liken her portrayal of Abby more to a psychotherapist than a "mom". Accepting and open, but challenging, reflective and somewhat neutral. Also, the gym teacher in Carrie was sympathetic but also very directive and kinda "get over it and move on" with Carrie. Betty has made no secrets she's done a lot of psychotherapy and I think it comes out in her work.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#28re: Sally Field Replaces Betty Buckley in new ABC series...
Posted: 7/12/06 at 1:14pm

She can definitely radiate warmth onscreen. However, it is no secret that she has lost out on many a role because of her personality - not her "attention to detail." Think about it - her talent is phenomenal - there is only one reason she's not working either onstage or film constantly.

And she's not 5'9", but 5'6 1/2". She has perfect posture which makes her seem taller.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
Updated On: 7/12/06 at 01:14 PM

WickedRentEder Profile Photo
WickedRentEder
#29re: Sally Field Replaces Betty Buckley in new ABC series...
Posted: 7/12/06 at 1:49pm

Oh I LOOOOOOVEEED Sally on Soapdish! One of my favorite movies! It's so ridiculous it's funny!!!

JohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
#30re: Sally Field Replaces Betty Buckley in new ABC series...
Posted: 7/12/06 at 2:00pm

I like Sally Field, but would prefer to be seeing Betty Buckley, on television.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#31re: Sally Field Replaces Betty Buckley in new ABC series...
Posted: 7/12/06 at 2:38pm

re: Sally Field Replaces Betty Buckley in new ABC series...

I can't wait to see Sally Field in her new role. She has a marvelous acting career. She won her Emmy in 1977 for "Sybil" and another Emmy in 2001 for a guest starring role on "ER."
Sally won her Oscars in 1980 for "Norma Rae" and in 1984 for "Places In The Heart." It is always a wonderful opportunity to watch Sally Field on television or in movies. Actresses like her... and so many others "of a certain age" should be appreciated more. Although some may scoff at her for her current television ad, she needs to work and make a living. I'm looking forward to seeing her on the small tube once more. from Roman in Austin, Texas

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Garland Grrrl Profile Photo
Garland Grrrl
#32re: Sally Field Replaces Betty Buckley in new ABC series...
Posted: 7/12/06 at 3:09pm

i really was looking forward to seeing betty on tv again. i have to admit i'm disappointed.

Mind is Mantra.

SamIAm Profile Photo
SamIAm
#33re: Sally Field Replaces Betty Buckley in new ABC series...
Posted: 7/12/06 at 8:16pm

Unless someone has verified that Buckley was replaced because she is a diva, I believe that it is unfair to turn a speculation into truth. Just because someone THINKS that is why she was replaced that should not make it truth. When Daniel Davis was released from La Cages, there was no formal reason given and rumors swirled about his being difficult and then it became TRUTH that he was fired because of that. In fact, Beach stated very firmly that was not the case, but no one seemed to care. The rumor became truth.

Let's give Ms. Buckley a break. If the studio has not formally stated a reason, why should we feel we KNOW the answer? Difficult or not, Buckley is not the only person who has a reputation for high standards or for being difficult. Some of the best actors do. It does not make them unemployable and in fact many movie and TV sets struggle with tempermental actors, directors and other artists every day. She is certainly not the worst or the last to be called 'difficult'. But in this case, we have no idea WHY she was replaced, so let's not damage her reputation by speculation.

"Life is a lesson in humility"

JohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
#34re: Sally Field Replaces Betty Buckley in new ABC series...
Posted: 7/12/06 at 8:22pm

What damage? Her reputation is that she's difficult.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#35re: Sally Field Replaces Betty Buckley in new ABC series...
Posted: 7/12/06 at 11:00pm

Sam, she doesn't need you to defend her. Don't waste your energy.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#36re: Sally Field Replaces Betty Buckley in new ABC series...
Posted: 7/13/06 at 1:07pm

I love Sally and Betty.

Did anyone see The Goat with her in it? How was she?

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

BWAYboi_yes Profile Photo
BWAYboi_yes
#37re: Sally Field Replaces Betty Buckley in new ABC series...
Posted: 7/13/06 at 3:21pm

It does seem to me that Betty is clearly difficult to work with. After all, just a year ago she brought down that whole Sweeney Todd show and nearly the theatre itself in Texas. She needs to learn to calm down.

Michael6
#38re: Sally Field Replaces Betty Buckley in new ABC series...
Posted: 7/15/06 at 11:32pm

Y'know this makes me sick. Betty Buckley is a damn great actress. A mature woman with brains and balls. Why does TV-land think America cannot handle strong women???? Our mom's can be tough and nurturing. I certainly admire my mother for this. Why don't I see her represented in the characters on episodic television.

wiggum2 Profile Photo
wiggum2
#39re: Sally Field Replaces Betty Buckley in new ABC series...
Posted: 7/15/06 at 11:37pm

No one has stated for sure why Betty was replaced but probably Betty's removal has nothing to do with her playing the character as a strong, tough but loving mother but more to do with her off-camara behavior

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#40re: Sally Field Replaces Betty Buckley in new ABC series...
Posted: 7/16/06 at 12:15am

I do like Sally, I just love to see theatre actors on TV.

Screw TV. I love to see theatre actors on stage.

Why does TV-land think America cannot handle strong women???? Our mom's can be tough and nurturing. I certainly admire my mother for this. Why don't I see her represented in the characters on episodic television.

Hun, OK, first off, America cannot handle strong women. America likes their women helpless and grasping at a string for strength, and alas, their man catches them and all is good with the world.

Why don't you see your mom represented on episodic television? There are plenty of us that are not represented on TV. TV, unlike theater, is about making money. It's about giving the audience what it likes and wants so they will watch, and the networks can make more and more advertising dollars. Don't turn on the TV expecting honest representation of the human condition. And certainly don't turn on the TV expecting to see art.

(And BTW, Mods, doesn't this thread belong on the OT Board?)

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 7/16/06 at 12:15 AM

Michael6
#41re: Sally Field Replaces Betty Buckley in new ABC series...
Posted: 7/18/06 at 12:25am

What is the story about Sweeney Todd?

lite2shine Profile Photo
lite2shine
#42Remember?
Posted: 7/18/06 at 11:26am

Since this is Betty related thread, I'll post here.

Remember, I think it was 2004, a regional/community theatre in Texas tried to produce Bernadette's concert as well as Betty in Gypy production, and both failed. The producer/director was very young, like 23 yrs old? I think BWW even interviewed him when everything fell apart.

I don't remember the name of the theatre or town. Does anyone remember? I was wondering what happened to the theatre and the guy.

flamingo
#43Remember?
Posted: 7/18/06 at 11:41am

In answer to lite2shine:

The producer's name in Texas is Tony Georges. His company was Ector Theatricals, and it was in Odessa, Texas.
Updated On: 7/18/06 at 11:41 AM

BWAYboi_yes Profile Photo
BWAYboi_yes
#44Remember?
Posted: 7/18/06 at 11:52am

Wow. I just re-read that interview that he did when it all happened last year. What a truly horrible thing to have happened. Not to say that he's without blame, because he admits to it himself, but geez, what a bad way to go out. He should have stayed as far away from Ms. Buckley as he could get. He was just too young to take it. 20 years old. I guess no one knows where he is now?

lite2shine Profile Photo
lite2shine
#45Remember?
Posted: 7/18/06 at 1:05pm

Thanks, flamingo. Boy it was almost exactly a year ago. It seems ages ago though. I guess Ector Theatricals folded as their web page isn't available anymore. I guess Tony was too ambitious trying to do all these things without much "real" experiences.

Leadingplayer
#46Remember?
Posted: 11/3/12 at 3:15am

Wow I didn't know she was replaced by Sally Field. I guess that is what ended her career and sent her to cabaret.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#47Remember?
Posted: 11/3/12 at 3:48am

Oh, for crap's sake.

Jungle Red Profile Photo
Jungle Red
#48Remember?
Posted: 11/3/12 at 3:58am

I should really read the dates more often! I thought this was a new thread.

Haa..

Now it needs to die. Why bump this six years later, after the show in question has already been canceled?

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#49Remember?
Posted: 11/3/12 at 3:58am

Here's the promo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4Nul1JgAoE

I always wished they'd have the pilot on a DVD. The show had such potential (though going with Sally was smart)--Jon Robin Baitz's blog about writing for it was fascinating and candid at the time. ABC forced him to have more focus as the show went on, on the younger cast, and forced on him the idea of the young assistant who the younger brothers fought over. When Baitz left early in Season 2 the show never had an identity again (Rachel Griffiths at the time said she would leave if Baitz did) and went through four different teams of headwriters.

Videos