pixeltracker

Are there any actresses that did Elphaba that could to the easilly do the vocals of the role of glinda?- Page 2

Are there any actresses that did Elphaba that could to the easilly do the vocals of the role of glinda?

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#25No
Posted: 10/23/06 at 11:39pm

Shoshana Bean, while possessing a strong head voice, is completely wrong for the role of Glinda. Her type is the exact opposite of what I would think one would look for in a Glinda.

No. There's more to being right for a role than being able to hit the notes.

Freckles1329 Profile Photo
Freckles1329
#26No
Posted: 10/23/06 at 11:42pm

Zoran, I completely agree! In my opinion, the majority of the Elphabas are belters, not Opera singers, nor anything remotely close. It would be cool if eventually someone was talented enough to do it.

"For example, if I should paint my fingernails green - and it just so happens I do paint them green. Well, if anyone should ask me why, I say: 'I think it's pretty!'"

Freckles1329
#27No
Posted: 10/23/06 at 11:46pm

I think Brian Charles Rooney (yes, I realize he isn't an actress) should try to sing both parts. That would be awesome!

"For example, if I should paint my fingernails green - and it just so happens I do paint them green. Well, if anyone should ask me why, I say: 'I think it's pretty!'"

snl89
#28No
Posted: 10/23/06 at 11:53pm

you know, its funny- Idina herself has said she's no longer a soprano, and obviously she hasnn'tt done any soprano parts in her broadway career or anything, but I've always been interested to hear her do it... cause I bet she still CAN :P I just bet it. There are even some notes on the SWIWS recording that make me think she'd have a GORGEOUS soprano voice. So.. I dont know, I'm def not saying I think she COULD do the part of G(a)linda.. honestly that'd be SO wierd since she's so.. elphie to me haha, but I WOULD be curious to hear her sing something like No One Mournes The Wicked... just for grins :P

As far as other people? I bet shoshana COULD sing it actually... as a matter a fact, I kinda think she could prob do it pretty darn WELL! She was always a little too perky in her acting for Elphie for my taste... so I have a feeling I would actually like her g(a)linda.. cause I alwyas loved her voice, she was just a little riff happy sometimes and the acting style wasnt right for elphie imo No she doesn't LOOK the part of g(a)linda really (not to say she's not very pretty, cause she is! she's just not g(a)linda at ALL), but I'd just be curious to hear a recording or something

oh, and Jazzysuite82, actually Idina def does have classical training- she just switched when she started her Wedding Singer career No but up until she was like in her teens she did classical. I believe she mentioned it in her summer concerts.. or maybe it was an interview somewhere.. lol,I'm not sure, but somewhere she def mentioned that!

I don't need a life that's normal. That's way too far away. But something next to normal would be okay. Something next to normal is what I'd like to try. Close enough to normal to get by.
Updated On: 10/23/06 at 11:53 PM

BSoBW2
#29No
Posted: 10/24/06 at 12:35am

Brian could definitely handle both roles and I think it would be a trip to see him playing Elphaba.

nodaybut2day1205 Profile Photo
nodaybut2day1205
#30No
Posted: 10/24/06 at 12:59am

Glinda is, to me, as much a belty role as an "operatic" role, and I definitely don't think operatic is the right word. A soprano with any kind of decent vocal training should be able to sing those notes well, in a legit style (look at Jennifer Laura Thompson- she's definitely not an opera singer). I think Shoshana would SING the role of Glinda great, but to actually perform the role is a different story. And I think Jennifer would make an amazing Elphaba too.

PaintWordPictures Profile Photo
PaintWordPictures
#31No
Posted: 10/24/06 at 1:04am

I also would have said Kristy Cates. I saw Wicked in Chicago again a few weekends ago and it was very strange that the girl playing Glinda had a lower speaking voice than Kristy as Elphaba. I had to do a mental switch every time I tried to identify them by vocal range. It was pretty apparent to me that Kristy would have a great Soprano range.

(Speaking of which, what is up with all the Glinda's who aren't really sopranos? I've heard a couple recently who obviously don't have the high notes and it just made me go hmm....)

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#32No
Posted: 10/24/06 at 2:16am

Bruce Vilanch could do it, hands down.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

ruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
#33No
Posted: 10/24/06 at 8:42am

I think Kendra could do... she sang all the GLinda notes, but she cud totally belt like in RENT.

All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#34No
Posted: 10/24/06 at 8:51am

What was the name of the video on the site that musen't be named. That had Shoshana singing in her soprano range?

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#35No
Posted: 10/24/06 at 9:02am

I'd bet Diana Degarmo could do either role...

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Garland Grrrl Profile Photo
Garland Grrrl
#36No
Posted: 10/24/06 at 9:22am

ana gasteyer could do it. you don't need to be renee flemming to play glinda.

Mind is Mantra.

shiksa_goddess Profile Photo
shiksa_goddess
#37No
Posted: 10/24/06 at 1:48pm

Ana Gasteyer could, I am sure.

I've heard Jenna Leigh Green go fairly high, but I don't know if she could pull of Glinda. She doesn't exactly look the part, but I would love to see her play something other than "the bitch."

JaredBway
#38Annaleigh Ashford
Posted: 10/24/06 at 1:50pm

I went to school with her, although she's Glinda's u/s on the tour, I could easily see her as Elphie and she could sing the hell out of those songs. I've heard her sing Millie's Gimmie Gimmie, talk about amazing

sweetestsiren Profile Photo
sweetestsiren
#39Annaleigh Ashford
Posted: 10/24/06 at 1:57pm

I think Kendra could do... she sang all the GLinda notes, but she cud totally belt like in RENT.

When I saw her, I didn't think that Kendra's soprano was strong enough for Glinda.

broadwaybaby086
#40Annaleigh Ashford
Posted: 10/24/06 at 2:13pm

Julia Murney did a great Cheno impression last night. Why not throw her on the list? :o) Although she has a nice head voice, I don't know what I would think about her actually playing Glinda. I would much rather see her impersonating K. Chen doing Glinda. Yes.

"I'll cut you, Tracee Beazer!!!! ...Just kidding. I'd never cut anyone." -Tina Maddigan, 9/30/06, WS stage door
Avatar: JULIE "EFFING" WHITE, 2007 TONY WINNER. Thank God. I'm thinking about legally changing my name to Lizzie Curry...

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#41Annaleigh Ashford
Posted: 10/24/06 at 2:19pm

"NO Idina does NOT have classical vocal training."

Yes, she does. Then she got untrained so she would have less of a legit voice.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#42Annaleigh Ashford
Posted: 10/24/06 at 2:40pm

How does one get "untained"?

That's the silliest thing I've heard today.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Freckles1329
#43Annaleigh Ashford
Posted: 10/24/06 at 3:50pm

Ana Gasteyer could, I am sure.

I thought she was an alto??

Mattbrain
#44Annaleigh Ashford
Posted: 10/24/06 at 3:55pm

15 years from now Patti LuPone WILL play both... in the same production. John Doyle will direct and Patti will play the harmonica in her off-time. She will get nominated for a Tony for her roles, but will tragically lose to the newcomer staring in Schindler's List: The Musical!

Um, LaChanze has been doing Broadway since the early 90s when Once On This Island first opened. She's not a newcomer. I think Schindler's List would be too hard a pill to swallow.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

Sparklesss Profile Photo
Sparklesss
#45Annaleigh Ashford
Posted: 10/24/06 at 7:16pm

I know it's backwards but Hilty once said she thought she'd be Elphaba instead of Glinda...so maybe she could play elphie too.

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#46Annaleigh Ashford
Posted: 10/24/06 at 7:25pm

MattBrain's got the right idea.

Videos