pixeltracker

Are there any actresses that did Elphaba that could to the easilly do the vocals of the role of glinda?

Are there any actresses that did Elphaba that could to the easilly do the vocals of the role of glinda?

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#0Are there any actresses that did Elphaba that could to the easilly do the vocals of the role of glinda?
Posted: 10/23/06 at 8:33pm

I was just wondering, are there any actress that have done the role of elphaba (tour, B'way or chicago) that could easily sing the parts for Glinda. I know that Idina had some classical training and does have a legit voice as proven on the SWIWS soundtrack. But, are there any others?

I am just wondering which is why I am asking.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

Freckles1329 Profile Photo
Freckles1329
#1re: Are there any actresses that did Elphaba that could to the easilly do the vocals of the role of glinda?
Posted: 10/23/06 at 8:35pm

I don't think Idina would be able to play Glinda. Glinda has more of an opera style part. Idina is a belter.

"For example, if I should paint my fingernails green - and it just so happens I do paint them green. Well, if anyone should ask me why, I say: 'I think it's pretty!'"

boxers7 Profile Photo
boxers7
#2re: Are there any actresses that did Elphaba that could to the easilly do
Posted: 10/23/06 at 8:50pm

Shoshana Bean could probably sing it.

"I don't wanna see that!" -Aunt Sassy (as played by Valerie Cherish) on Room & Bored

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#4re: Are there any actresses that did Elphaba that could to the easilly do the vocals of the role of glinda?
Posted: 10/23/06 at 8:57pm

If Idina has any classical training, she sure doesn't show it...anyway, I bet there are plenty of actresses out there who could do both roles. Maybe not anyone who's a "name" (who I can think of at the moment anyway), but plenty all the same. By the end of the run, like, fifteen years from now, lol, I'm sure by then SOMEONE will have done both (understudies included).

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#5re: Are there any actresses that did Elphaba that could to the easilly do
Posted: 10/23/06 at 8:57pm

Megan Hilty probably could. She has a HUGE range. She obviously does not look the role though.

Updated On: 10/23/06 at 08:57 PM

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#6re: Are there any actresses that did Elphaba that could to the easilly do
Posted: 10/23/06 at 9:00pm

It doesn't really matter what you look like for Elphaba. I mean, ideally she would be tall and thin, but other than that, because of the green makeup, it's kind of fair game.

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#7re: Are there any actresses that did Elphaba that could to the easilly do
Posted: 10/23/06 at 9:04pm

I was going to say Megan, but the question was the opposite way.

Considering it is this way, maybe Megan Sikora. But, I haven't heard enough to judge.

acrocksyo Profile Photo
acrocksyo
#8re: Are there any actresses that did Elphaba that could to the easilly do
Posted: 10/23/06 at 9:05pm

If Glinda was supposed to riff on everything and have soul, then yeah Shoshana Bean could play her, but Bean is a belter, so she probably wouldn't do a good job.

http://theaterfag.blogspot.com/ Reviews and the like

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#9re: Are there any actresses that did Elphaba that could to the easilly do
Posted: 10/23/06 at 9:50pm

Idina had classical training, but she's so immersed in her own style by now. She couldn't do it.

I bet Shoshana Bean could sing Glinda. I know she's classically trained and very versatile...vocally I wonder if she lays off the riffing when she sings classical..

DramaLady2010
#10re: Are there any actresses that did Elphaba that could to the easilly do
Posted: 10/23/06 at 10:05pm

Megan Hilty could do both.

Joshua488
#11re: Are there any actresses that did Elphaba that could to the easilly do
Posted: 10/23/06 at 10:07pm

Shoshana Bean can sing Glinda. She may not show it, but I believe she has had some classical training and she has said in interviews that she can sing the notes Glinda does, and higher.

When it comes to the opposite way, Megan Hilty can sing Elphaba. She said in an interview that when she was in college at Carnegie Mellon, her friends came back after a performance of Wicked saying that there's a new show she could definitely be in, but the only downside would be that she would have to paint herself green every night. Apparently, in college, she was a big belter and no one even thought of her playing Glinda.

Parks
#12re: Are there any actresses that did Elphaba that could to the easilly do
Posted: 10/23/06 at 10:13pm

Wow, I'd love to hear Megan sing No Good Deed or Defying Gravity.

"If it walks like a Parks, if it wobbles like a Parks, then it's definitely fat and nobody loves it." --MA

boxers7 Profile Photo
boxers7
#13re: Are there any actresses that did Elphaba that could to the easilly do
Posted: 10/23/06 at 10:15pm

Just listen to the HAIR Benefit Recording to hear Sho's insane range.

"I don't wanna see that!" -Aunt Sassy (as played by Valerie Cherish) on Room & Bored

dirty rotten guy Profile Photo
dirty rotten guy
#14re: Are there any actresses that did Elphaba that could to the easilly do
Posted: 10/23/06 at 10:22pm

15 years from now Patti LuPone WILL play both... in the same production. John Doyle will direct and Patti will play the harmonica in her off-time. She will get nominated for a Tony for her roles, but will tragically lose to the newcomer staring in Schindler's List: The Musical!

"The hallmark of aristocracy is responsibility. Oh brother, that got me, that did me in!"

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#15re: Are there any actresses that did Elphaba that could to the easilly do
Posted: 10/23/06 at 10:32pm

I think Jennifer Laura Thompson could do both. I believe she mentioned in an interview when she was in the show that she always thought of herself as an Elphie, not a Glinda.

Burning_Oasis
#16re: Are there any actresses that did Elphaba that could to the easilly do
Posted: 10/23/06 at 10:54pm

There is a video on the the youknowwhatsiteimtalkingabout where Shoshana did a Musical Medly, and she did some soprono range songs, and sounded great.

Kristy Cates who was the Elphaba in Chicago has stated she is a trained soprano, and singing Elphabas songs are a bit of a challenge.

Jazzysuite82
#17re: Are there any actresses that did Elphaba that could to the easilly do
Posted: 10/23/06 at 11:01pm

People around here are throwing around classical training too much. NO Idina does NOT have classical vocal training. No Shoshana Bean does NOT have classical training. Classical training is more than singing Caro Mio Ben in a voice lesson. Kristin, Audra, Kelli, Vikki these are women with classical training that belt...albeit some more than others (Audra). The point is I think there are VERY few people who should be singing both those roles. usually it's one or the other. You'd have to be SOME singer to pull that off.

CanadianSnowbird Profile Photo
CanadianSnowbird
#18re: Are there any actresses that did Elphaba that could to the easilly do
Posted: 10/23/06 at 11:06pm

I just saw Sho live yesterday, she definitely has the range for Glinda.

Freckles1329
#19re: Are there any actresses that did Elphaba that could to the easilly do
Posted: 10/23/06 at 11:20pm

Shoshana sing opera?? Shoshana Bean??? Ha ha I love her, but no.

"For example, if I should paint my fingernails green - and it just so happens I do paint them green. Well, if anyone should ask me why, I say: 'I think it's pretty!'"

defyingravity11 Profile Photo
defyingravity11
#20re: Are there any actresses that did Elphaba that could to the easilly do
Posted: 10/23/06 at 11:21pm

Even though she has the range, I can't see Shoshana singing GLinda. Her quality is nothing like that of any actress that has played that part (not that that's a bad thing). If anyone could play both roles, it would be Kristy Cates.

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott

Freckles1329
#21re: Are there any actresses that did Elphaba that could to the easilly do
Posted: 10/23/06 at 11:25pm

Yeah... I agree. Shoshana also has a vowel issue. That would probably screw up some of the songs, too.

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#22re: Are there any actresses that did Elphaba that could to the easilly do
Posted: 10/23/06 at 11:29pm

i think sho could sing it. i mean she did do tracey at some times and she is very perky. she may not be the best glinda though. but i have heard her cornet man on the site we can't speak about and its pretty kick ass...and a side of her she doesn't show off very often.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

Freckles1329
#23re: Are there any actresses that did Elphaba that could to the easilly do
Posted: 10/23/06 at 11:32pm

I definitely think Sho can sing. Tracey isn't really the greatest example of singing ability because it's not the hardest material. I think her "Bless the Lord" was amazing. I just don't think she can sing Glinda.

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#24re: Are there any actresses that did Elphaba that could to the easilly do
Posted: 10/23/06 at 11:37pm

her bless the lord is quite amazing...i remember hearing that and was like WHO IS THIS GIRL?

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#25No
Posted: 10/23/06 at 11:39pm

Shoshana Bean, while possessing a strong head voice, is completely wrong for the role of Glinda. Her type is the exact opposite of what I would think one would look for in a Glinda.

No. There's more to being right for a role than being able to hit the notes.

Videos