pixeltracker

And Ursula in THE LITTLE MERMAID is...- Page 2

And Ursula in THE LITTLE MERMAID is...

gumbo2 Profile Photo
gumbo2
#25re: And Ursula in THE LITTLE MERMAID is...
Posted: 1/25/07 at 12:01am

I'm hoping for Ashlee Simpson as Sebastian...

musicalfandukie Profile Photo
musicalfandukie
#26re: And Ursula in THE LITTLE MERMAID is...
Posted: 1/25/07 at 12:45am

my guess is there trying to cast someone as ursula that can pass both as ursula and vanessa both parts vocaly and appearance wise so the casting makes sense to me. i could be wrong tho just a guess.
Updated On: 1/25/07 at 12:45 AM

#27re: And Ursula in THE LITTLE MERMAID is...
Posted: 1/25/07 at 1:04am

All this gripe that Sherie Rene Scott isn't this type or that type, roller skates, fishtails, etc. etc...

You know, there's this little show called Into The Woods, and as far as I know, they don't hire a thousand-year-old-croak-voiced midget for Act One and a towering voluptuous diva for Ever After and Act Two.

Oh, the magic of theatre....

k, done snarking =)

RentBoy86
#28re: And Ursula in THE LITTLE MERMAID is...
Posted: 1/25/07 at 1:18am

I don't get your snark?

I think Sherie will be great. It's obvious she can do comedy and she's a powerhouse singer. She'll be fine. I'm guessing Skinner passed on this because it's not a very "serious" musical. It's just manufactured theater.

TheaterBoy7777 Profile Photo
TheaterBoy7777
#29re: And Ursula in THE LITTLE MERMAID is...
Posted: 1/25/07 at 1:39am

Sometimes fat suits don't look right on skinny people. There arms and face don't match the rest of the body and it looks really akward. O can remeber seeing Michael McKeen in Hairspray as Edna and thinking how weird he looked.

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#30re: And Ursula in THE LITTLE MERMAID is...
Posted: 1/25/07 at 1:43am

Fat people always look weird.

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

buffyactsing Profile Photo
buffyactsing
#31re: And Ursula in THE LITTLE MERMAID is...
Posted: 1/25/07 at 1:51am

Hey! Fat people do not always look weird. Just fat.

Fat suits do though. They never make the double chin jiggily enough.

"This ocean runs more dark and deep than you may think you know...I'll be the fear of the fire at sea." -Marie Christine

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#32re: And Ursula in THE LITTLE MERMAID is...
Posted: 1/25/07 at 2:39am

A fat chin would be a prosthetic.

A fat suit is for under clothing/costumes only, and not meant to be seen.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#33re: And Ursula in THE LITTLE MERMAID is...
Posted: 1/25/07 at 4:56am

I love love love Sherie Rene Scott, I really do. She's my favourite Broadway actress. But I'm going to need to check out some video to see if this is going to work.

Be brave, have faith, the heelies ain't gonna suck, the show's going to rock, have faith...

*twitches, and starts saving up now so she can witness the trainwreck firsthand*

#34re: And Ursula in THE LITTLE MERMAID is...
Posted: 1/25/07 at 5:57am

Was just watching some behind the scenes footage on THE LITTLE MERMAID DVD, and was reminded of what a magical moment in Disney and movie history it was when that movie came out. Such a perfect movie with the right story and the right songs at the right time...and it means so much to so many people...

Disney knows the value of magic and I'm sure they are treating this property with all the respect it is due and will both recreate the magic of the movie and create some new magic with the stage production. I think they know at this point that its success relies on old-fashioned magic, not Phil Collins or flashy tricks of the stage.

It must be TARZAN that has put a bad taste in people's mouths, but that show was never going to be great because the movie isn't great. Without considering TARZAN Disney Theatricals has some pretty beautiful shows out there...

I have faith in MERMAID!

Sierra Boggess and Chelsea Stock are going to be amazing!

And if you look at some early drawings of Ursula they tried skinny versions. The Shelley Duvall Fairy Tale Theatre version has more of sultry Ursuala if I recall too, with Helen Mirren...

Sing a Song With Me Profile Photo
Sing a Song With Me
#35re: And Ursula in THE LITTLE MERMAID is...
Posted: 1/25/07 at 7:16am

You guys are forgetting one singular issue here: Miss Scott was quite liked during her run in Aida. Disney produced that.
Miss Skinner, unfortunately, burned her Disney bridge with On the Record. Regardless of who was right or wrong, that much is true. Now, given that set of criteria, I'm not surprised and, frankly, I'm still hoping Jerry Springer the Opera will finally make its way to these shores so Skinner can sing "I Just Wanna Dance."

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#36re: And Ursula in THE LITTLE MERMAID is...
Posted: 1/25/07 at 7:42am

If Jerry comes to the shores.. WE need to bring Alison Jiear in to do the part so she can sing I just wanna dance for us!
Jon

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#37re: And Ursula in THE LITTLE MERMAID is...
Posted: 1/25/07 at 7:46am

Skinner did NOT want to do the role.

She didn't want to work?

Not many people wanted to be involved with this musical.

Why? They didn't want to work either?

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#38re: And Ursula in THE LITTLE MERMAID is...
Posted: 1/25/07 at 8:15am

Anyone who has heard Ms. Skinner sing "Poor Unfortunate Souls" knows that there is no one else who could play Ursula as well as her. It's too bad that Disney isn't overly forgiving vis-a-vis ON THE RECORD. That said, Scott is the last person I see as Ursula. I'd give it to Mary Testa personally.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Sing a Song With Me Profile Photo
Sing a Song With Me
#39re: And Ursula in THE LITTLE MERMAID is...
Posted: 1/25/07 at 8:29am

The problem with the role of Ursula is that, if you go by the film, she has to be ugly in the beginning and beautiful when she transforms. That just cannot be accomplished with one actress unless, unfortunately, you cast the "after" and makeup heavily for the "before." As much as I admire Mary Testa, in this instance, she'd be the "before."

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#40re: And Ursula in THE LITTLE MERMAID is...
Posted: 1/25/07 at 8:47am

I think Betty Buckley would have been a terrific Ursula.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello
Updated On: 1/25/07 at 08:47 AM

Horton Profile Photo
Horton
#41re: And Ursula in THE LITTLE MERMAID is...
Posted: 1/25/07 at 8:52am

I thought we were going to get Harvey!!!
ME WANTY HARVEY

kyle. Profile Photo
kyle.
#42re: And Ursula in THE LITTLE MERMAID is...
Posted: 1/25/07 at 8:55am

Buckley would have been the ****!!!!! Except in Act Two, seducing a 20 something Prince Eric. I had forgotten all about Vanessa. Blah.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#43re: And Ursula in THE LITTLE MERMAID is...
Posted: 1/25/07 at 9:23am

isn't the transformed one in the show for about 5 minutes though?

....but the world goes 'round

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#44re: And Ursula in THE LITTLE MERMAID is...
Posted: 1/25/07 at 10:08am

Well, I have to admit--I did want to see a grotesquely obese Ursula. But I like Sherie.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#45re: And Ursula in THE LITTLE MERMAID is...
Posted: 1/25/07 at 10:08am

I was hoping for either Elaine Stritch or Harvey Fierstein.

deck925 Profile Photo
deck925
#46re: And Ursula in THE LITTLE MERMAID is...
Posted: 1/25/07 at 10:23am

Is Ursula still going to be purple?

I'm kind of a sweat pant, t-shirt, no make-up type of girl. So once a year, I can get spiffy. Sutton Foster :)

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#47re: And Ursula in THE LITTLE MERMAID is...
Posted: 1/25/07 at 10:37am

Please, Sheri is great but how about:
Ann L. Nathan
Mary Testa
Anyone else???

The humerous part about me contributing to this tread is that #1. I'll probably never see the show and #2. I don't care about the show....I just feel compelled to reply.

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#48re: And Ursula in THE LITTLE MERMAID is...
Posted: 1/25/07 at 10:53am

Ann L. Nathan would be divine!!! Good call Gypsy!!!

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#49re: And Ursula in THE LITTLE MERMAID is...
Posted: 1/25/07 at 10:56am

Is it the same actress when Ursula goes to the surface? Because then it makes sense they'd pick a pretty girl in the part.

Videos