pixeltracker

Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up- Page 2

Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#25re: Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up
Posted: 5/26/07 at 10:29pm

OK - Im a huge ALW fan as many of you know - other than Cats and Starlight - I love all of ALW's stuff.

That being said - I havent been enthused by this idea at all. Much rather see him tackle Master and Margarita.

But - I don't doubt for a second that Phantom, the most successful muscial worldwide - combined with Brightman (who, boy from ohio - I never cared much for) - would sell out a theatre with huge advances even before it's first preview.

I mean - with 20 + years of fans (phanatics) there's a Huge built in audience. If ALW can deliver a couple of good songs (which he's entirely capable of) some decent stage effects and all with all he's going in with - he'll have a bonafide hit.

Jim

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#26re: Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up
Posted: 5/26/07 at 10:44pm

I'd pay a lot to see Sarah in pretty much anything, even her concerts are theatrical experiences. She is something else...out of this world, maybe one of the last divas...
Get her CDs listen to them people, and you will see what Im talking about, "Harem" and "Fly" are my favorites, 2 masterpieces.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#27re: Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up
Posted: 5/26/07 at 10:45pm

She is something else- a woman that sounds like kettle of boiling tea.

muscle23ftl
#28re: Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up
Posted: 5/26/07 at 10:50pm

It's not really all about her voice, I happen to love sopranos that can hit insane notes like her, etc.
It's about how she keeps inventing new sounds and different things, she is an original, anyways, I don't care if no one likes her, but I happen to love her sophisticated style, but well, it's not for everyone, a lot of people don't get her, or the messages she is trying to send with her music, and Im sorry for y'all.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#29re: Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up
Posted: 5/26/07 at 10:56pm

Or perhaps they just don't like her voice, muscle.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#30re: Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up
Posted: 5/26/07 at 10:57pm

I just don't like her voice. Or the fact that she wasted her time doing Phantom.

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#31re: Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up
Posted: 5/27/07 at 12:00am

Between her voice and nails down a blackboard , I'll take the nails. Her voice is shrill and has no artistry. Just shreaking.

whiskedaway Profile Photo
whiskedaway
#32re: Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up
Posted: 5/27/07 at 12:25am

Although i am a big fan of Sarah's solo work, i was never a fan of her performance as christine (from recordings, videos, etc). I think she should stick to her solo thing.

PersonofInterest Profile Photo
PersonofInterest
#33re: Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up
Posted: 5/27/07 at 12:36am

I think Sarah being there would be a huge draw. She has an immense international appeal.

Why she WOULDN'T do the show is beyond me. The only reason I could think of is her and Webbers personal relationship, but she was at his Kennedy Center Honors, so it can't be THAT bad.

And like her or not, she IS Christine. That role was built for her and every Christine since her has ben directed to evoke her.

I am not a huge Phantom fan, but I'm also not a hater. This project intrigues me. As crazy and out there as Andrew is, I really doubt he would be doing this project if he didn't have fairly solid idea for it.

As for Sarah's age? Chances are the story takes place quite a while after the original story. And besides a little up/down weight, she looks excatly the same!

WordedGrace Profile Photo
WordedGrace
#34re: Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up
Posted: 5/27/07 at 1:06am

I'm going to agree that she'd be silly not to do it when she's just futhering the legacy of a role that was tailored for her voice. Is this whole Phantom 2 thing a good idea? I guess we'll find out if and when it happens. She's not going to look dead forever, lol. Just kidding.

I'm not gonna hate you in the magazines, (I'm better than that) I'm not gonna compromise my Christianity, (I'm better than that) You know I'm not gonna diss you on the Internet Cause my momma taught me better than that.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#35re: Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up
Posted: 5/27/07 at 1:16am

"It's great when they have an actress under 35.. just rare. Very very rare"

It's not that rare...

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

KQuill Profile Photo
KQuill
#36re: Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up
Posted: 5/27/07 at 1:31am

I am under the impression that she took Phantom as a means to launch her career and that she doesn't like acting. She's the only one who didn't come back for the record breaker, she left the b-way production after 6 months...i don't know - just absolutly don't see it happening.

RentBoy86
#37re: Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up
Posted: 5/27/07 at 1:33am

I hate how all this news is surrounding this project and he says he is "99.9%" sure? I bet he hasn't even written a note for this show yet. I'll believe it when I see it.

wonderfulwizard11
#38re: Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up
Posted: 5/27/07 at 1:36am

Explain why Brightman would be a draw to this show. She had an OK recording career, spurred by Phantom, but she's not an international star. And while there are some "Phans" who I'm sure would go to see her, the majority of the audience who sees Phantom each week most likely doesn't know who she is.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

muscle23ftl
#39re: Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up
Posted: 5/27/07 at 2:10am

"Most recently, the Harem tour grossed over $60 million and sold over 700,000 tickets,[21] $15 million and 225,000 sales of which came from the North American leg; though with ticket prices raised 30% from previous tours, average sales per venue were up 65%.[19] In North America, Harem tour promoters Clear Channel Entertainment (now Live Nation) took the unusual step of advertising to theatre subscribers, in an effort to reach fans of Brightman's Broadway performances, and also sold VIP tickets (at $750 each) that included on-stage seating during the concert and a backstage pass.[19]"

"Time to Say Goodbye" ("Con te partirò") was the second Brightman song debuted for Maske, this time at his retirement match. This duet with tenor Andrea Bocelli sold more than 3 million copies in Germany alone,[11] became Germany's highest-selling single, and was a bestseller in numerous other countries. The album eventually sold over 5 million copies worldwide. Due to the song's success, a 1996 re-issue of Fly featured "Time to Say Goodbye" as the first track.

www.wikipedia.org

I wouldn't call that an "ok" recording career, there are also huge record sales of her other albums, but I couldn't find the exact amounts.

Adam Chris Profile Photo
Adam Chris
#40re: Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up
Posted: 5/27/07 at 3:26am

"I hate how all this news is surrounding this project and he says he is "99.9%" sure? I bet he hasn't even written a note for this show yet. I'll believe it when I see it. "

He wrote The Heart Is Slow To Learn years ago when he 1st attempted to do this show, which has now been re-embalmed as Our Kind Of Love for the Beautiful Game. I am sure he as written other things for Phantom 2.

sbflyfan Profile Photo
sbflyfan
#41re: Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up
Posted: 5/27/07 at 4:16am

Uh, Sarah has had a VERY sucessful and international recording career since Phantom. She's gone double and triple platinum with her albums in many different countries, and muscle23ftl pointed out some facts about her most recent WORLD tour. I'd say she's very talented, and alot of other people must think so in order for her to have such achievements. It's a shame to see all the bashing that's been going on in this thread.

"I'm seeing the LuPone in Key West later this week. I'm hoping for great vocals and some sort of insane breakdown..." - BenjaminNicholas2

rockfenris2005
#42re: Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up
Posted: 5/27/07 at 6:16am

PHANTOM 2

THE PHANTOM OF MANHATTAN

Bring it on, I say!!!

This is going to be his most interesting challenge since, heck, CATS. I am no idiot either so nobody attack me. I think if he fails, he will be publicly humiliated. If it succeeds, he will be on top in a kind of Elvis '68/Meat Loaf "Bat II" style comeback. I have never been this excited about a forthcoming musical in 10 years.

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#43re: Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up
Posted: 5/27/07 at 9:24am

First of all, Sarah isn't "mildly successful."

She's a huge international star now that sells out large arenas with her concerts, regardless of what some theatre snobs may think about her.

Second of all, I'm wondering if this is Lloyd Webber's attempt to lure her back... in more ways than one.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#44re: Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up
Posted: 5/27/07 at 9:56am

"I hate how all this news is surrounding this project and he says he is "99.9%" sure? I bet he hasn't even written a note for this show yet. I'll believe it when I see it."

Well, it can't take him that long to write a show. He only writes one (or in some cases two) very boring melodies per show.

musical_devotee Profile Photo
musical_devotee
#45re: Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up
Posted: 5/27/07 at 11:03am

This is great news. I hope it does happen. Sarah did a great job with the first Phantom and I would personally love to see her in the role once again.
Updated On: 5/27/07 at 11:03 AM

wonderfulwizard11
#46re: Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up
Posted: 5/27/07 at 11:14am

I stand corrected.

I had not realized she had such a sucessful recording career.

KQuill Profile Photo
KQuill
#47re: Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up
Posted: 5/27/07 at 11:20am

Yeah one or possibly two melodies per show. I'm really glad you have an outlet for your anger about..whatever it is your being so bitter about. This is probably the safest way to diffuse it.
Updated On: 5/27/07 at 11:20 AM

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#48re: Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up
Posted: 5/27/07 at 11:32am

And yet Coram Boy and Journey's End are closing in the next couple of weeks.

Some days I wake up feeling very sad. re: Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up

DirtyRottenGirl Profile Photo
DirtyRottenGirl
#49re: Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up
Posted: 5/27/07 at 12:35pm

I would like to say as a very big Andrew Lloyd Webber fan that I am concerned about this sequel. However, I think his attempt to get Sarah Brightman involved means great things are to come. Also, about her being so old she really doesn't look it. She maybe doesn't look 18 but if you saw her on his Kennedy tribute she doesn't look like she has aged in 20 years or she has had some amazing surgery.

Videos