pixeltracker

Give Legally Blonde A Tony!!!- Page 2

Give Legally Blonde A Tony!!!

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#25re: Give Legally Blonde A Tony!!!
Posted: 6/11/07 at 12:26am

I did see the show and thought Orfeh was funny, but not anywhere as great as Mary Louise Wilson or Barbara Walsh. Or Karen Ziemba or Rebecca Luker for that matter.

~Steven

AnnaK<3LMIP Profile Photo
AnnaK<3LMIP
#26re: Give Legally Blonde A Tony!!!
Posted: 6/11/07 at 12:38am

Twice I saw it.
Each time I was overwhelmed and disappointed by all the performances and music and the show in general.

I mean, Denzel Washington? Gun to my head..of course.

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#27re: Give Legally Blonde A Tony!!!
Posted: 6/11/07 at 1:10am

I saw it and hands down will give it the worst adaption of a movie for Broadway.

All the quirkiness and fun of the movie is missing and homogenized in this dreadful musical adapation.

Aristotle's first law of theatre is that you must care for the main character.

In the musical, you don't care a lick for Elle Woods. She is vapid and bland. In the movie, you realize there is a real person under that blonde and supposedly vapid exterior. That person is quirky, vibrant, intelligent and her own person and you fall in love with her. The musical totally misses the point and glosses over the carefully built quirky exposition of the movie with fast paced awful musical material, fast paced choreography and gimmicry. That is what makes the movie so good and the musical so awful.

Jerry Mitchell is a great choreographer but has yet to understand the subtleties of truly directing a great or even good Broadway musical. I hope he learns how soon because if he does, when he does, he will give us a great new Broadway Musical. Here he has given us one that is full of gimmicks and made the pace fast so you won't realize what's missing in the mix.

The musical is a vapid glossification that cheapens the material it was based on. It is designed to make a buck and has absolutely no heart. Christian Borle is wasted. Laura Bell Bundy can't rise above that material.

AnnaK<3LMIP
#28re: Give Legally Blonde A Tony!!!
Posted: 6/11/07 at 1:12am

Oh my God. I could never have said it better if I tried...thank you.

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#29re: Give Legally Blonde A Tony!!!
Posted: 6/11/07 at 3:36pm

Your welcome. And thanks for acknowledging my heartfelt and strong sentiment.

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#30re: Give Legally Blonde A Tony!!!
Posted: 6/11/07 at 3:47pm

This thread was to support Legally blonde, not trash it.

You may say it is not good, but you were just plain rude goldenboy.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

Horton Profile Photo
Horton
#31re: Give Legally Blonde A Tony!!!
Posted: 6/11/07 at 3:48pm

no.

christhefish Profile Photo
christhefish
#32re: Give Legally Blonde A Tony!!!
Posted: 6/11/07 at 5:18pm

I Loved "Blonde" But It Didn't Deserve To Win Any Tony's The Competition Was In Another League This Year.

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#33re: Give Legally Blonde A Tony!!!
Posted: 6/11/07 at 5:29pm

No I'm opinionated, knowledgeable and intelligently judgemental. I'm sure that is what you meant.

FosterChild Profile Photo
FosterChild
#34re: Give Legally Blonde A Tony!!!
Posted: 6/11/07 at 5:33pm

Let me inject a dose of truth and adult observation to this thread w/o the usual hormonal teenage passion, jealous queen angst, disgruntled co-worker in disguise rants that go into most threads on this board.

Orfeh is hands down, the best singer on the boards today, is a great actress and beautiful to watch (and after last nights show, bound to be snatched up by Hollywood any second). As dozens have already said, she took a nothing role, with awful songs and made it something worthwhile and basically stole the show. Why you're all still harping about her and others nominations, is laughable. If 75 year old MLW wasn't in the category, the statue would have gone home with Orfeh. If DHP wasn't shunned during Spamalot and much older, Esparza would have won. Stop spewing bile, get off these boards and concentrate on your own lives for a change.

You can't change the facts and no matter how many times some of you say it, Orfeh is and will forever be, a Tony nominee and most likely have more award nominations in her future. You all, for your own sanity, should make peace with that now.

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#35re: Give Legally Blonde A Tony!!!
Posted: 6/11/07 at 5:42pm

and if a cow had balls, it would be a bull.

FosterChild
#36re: Give Legally Blonde A Tony!!!
Posted: 6/11/07 at 5:50pm

Was that your opinionated, YET, intelligently judgemental attempt at wit goldenboy? Pompous might be more suitable.

AnnaK<3LMIP
#37re: Give Legally Blonde A Tony!!!
Posted: 6/11/07 at 5:58pm

"You can't change the facts and no matter how many times some of you say it, Orfeh is and will forever be, a Tony nominee and most likely have more award nominations in her future. You all, for your own sanity, should make peace with that now."

Umm? Believe it or not my life doesn't revolve around the Tonys and it's ok by me that she got the nomination. But I didn't get ANYTHING from her performance. You did. People obviously agree with you. But I also have the right to say that I got nothing out of her performance. Because I didn't. Big deal - plenty of people say they thought Aaron Lazar in Les Mis was nothing and I thought he was brilliant. They are opinions. It's ok to have different ones, and it is certainly ok for me to say that I felt she didn't deserve her nomination. There is no reason to get so offended when we say we didn't feel she deserved the nomination. I disagreed with many of the Tony nominations this year but that doesn't make me an angsty teen who is jealous...or something?

Brave Sir Robin, I understand that his thread was to support Legally Blonde, but it's a public message board and there will always be people who bring up a debate. Believe you me goldenboy and I are not the only ones who thought Legally Blonde was not worth the money.

Dirty_Rotten_Guy Profile Photo
Dirty_Rotten_Guy
#38re: Give Legally Blonde A Tony!!!
Posted: 6/11/07 at 6:14pm

i saw the show once, enjoyed it, but that was about it. didnt do a whole lot for me.

anyways, i think all of the nominees for LEGALLY BLONDE knew that there was no chance that they'd win, and it was an honor enough for them to get 7 nominations. so yeah, if the cast and creative isnt all bitter about them not getting any Tonys, why should we be? :)

My 2007/2008 Season: Grey Gardens (7/5) 110 in the Shade (7/6) Mary Poppins (7/7) Xanadu (7/7) Deuce (7/8) Spamalot (7/8) Jersey Boys (8/25) The Year of Magical Thinking (8/25) Mauritius (11/2) Young Frankenstein (11/3) Rock 'N' Roll (11/3) Pygmalion (11/4) Mauritius (11/10) Mauritius (11/21) Mauritius (11/21) Sunday in the Park with George (3/6) South Pacific (3/7) Gypsy (3/8) Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (3/9)

FosterChild
#39re: Give Legally Blonde A Tony!!!
Posted: 6/11/07 at 6:20pm

Good point, Orfeh looked anything but bitter last night.

Anna, oddly enough, I LOVE Aaron Lazar, think he's a star in the making, despise almost everything about Blonde, so we agree on many points, i'm simply sick of everyone avoiding the facts and constantly wanting to bash, or cry foul over Orfeh's nod. She is the one saving grace of an otherwise waste of space at the Palace and almost all the people whose opinions actually "count" (critics, nominators, etc) were like minded. That's all, not trying to stop you from having an opinion, I'm simply pointing out that it's tedious to rehash.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#40re: Give Legally Blonde A Tony!!!
Posted: 6/11/07 at 6:20pm

songanddanceman2, take off your shirt and explain your use of "slag".

AnnaK<3LMIP
#41re: Give Legally Blonde A Tony!!!
Posted: 6/11/07 at 6:26pm

Well that makes sense FosterChild, but no offense your post came across as though we were dumb to mention it. I really just did not enjoy Legally Blonde and I am very surprised it got as many nominations as it did. I'm not trying to say it's an awful thing, good for them. But to me, there was no one in the show that stood out.
Of course, it could have been the material of the show itself...either way I'm not trying to point out what critics have said or "cry foul" as you mentioned, and I don't think goldenboy is either. We're just saying.

Good of you to clear that all up though.

On that note. It is good to meet another Aaron fan.

JumpJumpJumpSoHigh Profile Photo
JumpJumpJumpSoHigh
#42re: Give Legally Blonde A Tony!!!
Posted: 6/11/07 at 6:37pm

Brave Sir Robin,

While I agree with the sentiments of your post, everyone on this board should probably know by now that you shouldn't start a Legally Blonde thread unless you expect the usual pattern:

- Someone says they love it
- Five or so people post in reply, saying they hated it, it's the worst thing ever, movie adaptations are the spawn of the devil, etc.
- Five (or so) more people post after that, saying they loved it and it's just fun, and isn't fun allowed on Broadway anymore?
- The Cult of Orfeh (not that she doesn't deserve it!) posts in reply, implying that actual fans of the show are stupid, but as long as you go see it in order to support Orfeh, you're exempt from stupidity status
- A few more people say that Orfeh or no Orfeh, the show is crap
- A few more people say that Orfeh or no Orfeh, the show is awesome
- Dissenters call the fans stupid for daring to like what they like
- Fans call dissenters rude (and possibly also stupid) for constantly bashing the show
- Someone predicts it will close by the end of the week
- Someone posts sales figures and says no, it won't
- Someone says they saw it last night and thought the dogs were adorable
- Someone starts a new thread about the same topic
- Lather, rinse, repeat...

HEY YOU GUYS! So who has something interesting to post? :)

~JJJ

Dear Ken, I'm in pieces. Why the cold shoulder? Love, Barbie

lindas13
#43re: Give Legally Blonde A Tony!!!
Posted: 6/11/07 at 6:39pm

I never thought I was too old....for anything in life but I know I am... Spring Awakening was UGH!!!. give me anything but that crap and mary poppins (how boring) I yawned all through it. finally my husband switched to the discovery channel until they were done... fantasia?? what was that about. and not one person can say I am wrong about any of this because now I have asked a young friend of mine (female aged 26) and she fully agreed.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#44re: Give Legally Blonde A Tony!!!
Posted: 6/11/07 at 7:17pm

curtainpuller - Slag it off means Trash the show(uk slang)

And my shirt is firmly staying on my back

At 28 i didn't think i was to old, i had a great time and i left with a massive smile on my face which is exactly what i wanted it to do.

All this bitching about the show(im sure 80 percent of people on these threads haven't even watched it) is turning it in to the next wicked.

Give it a rest people

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

AnnaK<3LMIP
#45re: Give Legally Blonde A Tony!!!
Posted: 6/11/07 at 7:30pm

It's strange that you feel you can decide that people are lying about seeing the show..

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#46re: Give Legally Blonde A Tony!!!
Posted: 6/11/07 at 9:49pm

Thank you. I forgot pompous. Yes I am deservedly pompous.
Thanks for reminding me.

Sondheim Geek Profile Photo
Sondheim Geek
#47Give JumpJumpJump a Tony!
Posted: 6/11/07 at 10:06pm

JJJ- you are my new hero

SondheimGeek: Is it slightly pathetic that you guys get to be Jedi bitches, and I'm Bitchy the Hutt?
LizzieCurry: No, you're more memorable

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#48Give JumpJumpJump a Tony!
Posted: 6/11/07 at 10:15pm

"It should have won Choreography and Orfeh should have won over the old one. Mary Louise from Grey Gardens"

The old one? How disrespecteful! Ms. Wilson is a brilliant actress. After years of wonderful work in the theatre, she deserved that Tony, especially for her performance in Grey Gardens.

JumpJumpJumpSoHigh Profile Photo
JumpJumpJumpSoHigh
#49Give JumpJumpJump a Tony!
Posted: 6/12/07 at 12:14am

Sondheim Geek--

I'm somebody's hero? On THIS board, no less? Ahaha, win. :)

~JJJ

Dear Ken, I'm in pieces. Why the cold shoulder? Love, Barbie

Videos