Legally Blonde Tour

fnyboi88 Profile Photo
fnyboi88
#25re: Legally Blonde Tour
Posted: 4/2/08 at 2:28pm

Rhode Island's Providence Performing Arts Center (Sept. 23-2re: Legally Blonde Tour, to be followed by Baltimore, MD (Sept. 30-Oct. 12); Rochester, NY (Oct. 21-26); Schenectady, NY (Nov. 25-30); Philadelphia, PA (Dec. 2-7); Hartford, CT (Dec. 9-14); Washington, DC (Dec. 16-Jan. 11, 2009); East Lansing, MI (Jan. 13-18, 2009); St. Louis, MO (Jan. 20-Feb. 1, 2009); Houston, TX (Feb. 10-22, 2009); Orlando, FL (March 10-15, 2009); West Palm Beach, FL (March 17-22, 2009); Greenville, SC (March 24-29, 2009); Clearwater, FL (April 7-12, 2009); Durham, NC (April 14-19, 2009); Charlotte, NC (April 21-26, 2009); St. Paul, MN (April 28-May 10, 2009); Dayton, OH (June 16-21, 2009); Nashville, TN (June 23-28, 2009); Kansas City, MO (June 30-July 5, 2009); Atlanta, GA (July 14-19, 2009); Dallas, TX (July 21-Aug. 9, 2009); and Costa Mesa, CA (Sept. 8-20, 2009), additional dates expected.

Broadway Shows I've Seen: Hairspray, Chicago, Little Shop of Horrors (2003), The Wedding Singer, Spamalot, Riverdance, Rent, Beauty and the Beast, Spring Awakening, Wicked, Legally Blonde, Phantom of the Opera, Sweet Charity (revival), Drowsy Chaperone, The Lion King, Dreamgirls(2010 Tour).

karatekid1 Profile Photo
karatekid1
#26re: Legally Blonde Tour
Posted: 4/2/08 at 3:03pm

Why is Los Angeles or San Diego not on any of these lists? I mean i thought LA would be a big market for this show. Is it because there is no theater to have it because of the pantages being taken by Wicked?

fnyboi88 Profile Photo
fnyboi88
#27re: Legally Blonde Tour
Posted: 4/2/08 at 4:31pm

They might want to do a more than a one or two week sit-down.

Broadway Shows I've Seen: Hairspray, Chicago, Little Shop of Horrors (2003), The Wedding Singer, Spamalot, Riverdance, Rent, Beauty and the Beast, Spring Awakening, Wicked, Legally Blonde, Phantom of the Opera, Sweet Charity (revival), Drowsy Chaperone, The Lion King, Dreamgirls(2010 Tour).

musicandtemiror
#28re: Legally Blonde Tour
Posted: 4/2/08 at 4:32pm

Any casting yet?

fnyboi88 Profile Photo
fnyboi88
#29re: Legally Blonde Tour
Posted: 4/2/08 at 4:41pm

No

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#30re: Legally Blonde Tour
Posted: 4/2/08 at 5:28pm

Yes.

Just not officially announced.

donna_darko_23
#31re: Legally Blonde Tour
Posted: 4/2/08 at 9:47pm

I'm assuming that they mean St. Paul, MN and not St. Paul, MO as it is listed on this site and Broadway.com.

FlyingMonkey1223 Profile Photo
FlyingMonkey1223
#32re: Legally Blonde Tour
Posted: 4/2/08 at 10:53pm

no San Fran or Sacramento?

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#33re: Legally Blonde Tour
Posted: 4/2/08 at 11:18pm

AH they are coming to Schenectady NY thats cool even though I have seen it twice. I guess I could see it again

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#34re: Legally Blonde Tour
Posted: 4/4/08 at 11:29am

"Why is Los Angeles or San Diego not on any of these lists? I mean i thought LA would be a big market for this show. Is it because there is no theater to have it because of the pantages being taken by Wicked?"

No, WICKED is closing in January. LEGALLY BLONDE will the play the Pantages, but I don't know when that is.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

Harpz2006
#35re: Legally Blonde Tour
Posted: 5/11/08 at 12:34am

Cortney Wolfson of "The Battery's Down" was just cast as Serena for the national tour.

stageishome
#36re: Legally Blonde Tour
Posted: 5/11/08 at 12:48am

Weird that Cortney Wolson is doing the tour – I thought she was doing 9 to 5?

Harpz2006
#37re: Legally Blonde Tour
Posted: 5/11/08 at 1:03am

Oh, I had no idea about "9 to 5"-- there was just an announcement on the facebook group for MTCollege Auditions coaching from the coaching coordinator that Cortney just landed the role...

outdamnwench
#38re: Legally Blonde Tour
Posted: 5/11/08 at 2:06am

Becky Gulsvig is Elle on tour.
She's the Broadway u/s and goes on most of the time when LBB is out.

BrianS Profile Photo
BrianS
#39re: Legally Blonde Tour
Posted: 5/11/08 at 2:20am

Casting is at least 90% done. It's a tiered contract, which I think is ridiculous because the presenters aren't going to be paying a smaller guarantee. I can't understand why AEA agreed to the pay cut (since producers are already combining/cutting tracks to bring costs down which IS understandable), but now I'm hearing that Equity is about to concede some major issues with Wicked LA when it transfers to San Fran so maybe Mark Zimmerman will just sit on the producer's side of the table during negotiations.

(off soapbox)

I actually think the tour will be more successful than the Broadway production. It's going to benefit from the TV show exposure and will have less competition in touring cities for their audience demographic than in NY.

If the audience could do better, they'd be up here on stage and I'd be out there watching them. - Ethel Merman

misto625 Profile Photo
misto625
#40re: Legally Blonde Tour
Posted: 5/11/08 at 2:41pm

BrianS, can you elaborate about these concessions? I am curious to find out. I am surprised this is on a tiered contract as well and that they are cutting tracks. I would think that Legally Blonde would do great on the road and am interested in seeing it, but not a scaled down production. I didn't really think the sets were that large to begin with.

Dean: Can I tell you something? Lorraine: That depends on what it is. Dean: I think you're really really pretty. Lorraine: (after a pause) Ok, you can tell me that.

broadwayboy522
#41re: Legally Blonde Tour
Posted: 5/11/08 at 4:10pm

What exactly is a tiered contract?

BrianS Profile Photo
BrianS
#42re: Legally Blonde Tour
Posted: 5/11/08 at 7:44pm

Basically, it allows the producers to pay the actors at a lower rate than a production contract. It's not uncommon to reduce the number of tracks for a tour (thus lowering the running costs), but a while ago Equity started to concede weekly salaries as well.

(simplified version)
Many actors have proposed a shared responsibility system where a show is audited weekly and if the gross is lower than expected, the actors would get a lower rate than production contract, but if a show exceeded a set amount, the actors would get a higher pay rate than a production contract. This helps insulate the producers (and in this case more likely the presenters) with taking loses while rewarding actors for sharing in the risk when things are going well. Neither the producers (and for some unknown reason, Equity's leadership) will go for the idea.

As for Wicked, it's too early to say, but basically it has to due with keeping turnover costs down with the transfer. The producers are asking Equity to allow them to lock the actors into a contract with no out (as opposed to the traditional 4 week out) with only a small weekly pay raise to compensate. It is a very bad precedent to set with a chorus contract since it takes away a great deal of an actor's freedom, but my guess is Equity will concede it without even asking for feedback from it's members.

Our show has had numerous cases where Equity suspended a rule based solely on what the producers presented them with without asking us if the actual circumstances matched the producers description of events (does that make sense?). I cannot understand why Equity wouldn't check in with it's members first to get both sides of a story, but it seems to be par for the course.

If the audience could do better, they'd be up here on stage and I'd be out there watching them. - Ethel Merman

ThankstoPhantom
#43re: Legally Blonde Tour
Posted: 5/11/08 at 7:52pm

That's awful if Wicked in San Fransico won't allow 4-week outs. Choruc members of shows have so many wonderful opportunities with their outs, and I hope that Equity does not agree to it in the end. It would limit so much talent from pooling between shows.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

defyinggravity42694 Profile Photo
defyinggravity42694
#44re: Legally Blonde Tour
Posted: 5/11/08 at 7:57pm

There was no Legally Blonde tour in the past.

Here is a link to the article of the cities and dates of the first national tour...
http://www.playbill.com/news/article/116410.html

It has also been confirmed that Becky Gulsvig (current Elle Woods understudy) will be playing Elle in the first national tour.

Goodbye

crzyray Profile Photo
crzyray
#45re: Legally Blonde Tour
Posted: 5/11/08 at 8:06pm

not sure why it's not on playbill.com or anywhere but it's going to be in cleveland November 11-23 at the palace theatre... just throwing that out there since all these sites seem to not list that as one of it's cities!

oohshizz146 Profile Photo
oohshizz146
#46re: Legally Blonde Tour
Posted: 5/11/08 at 8:11pm

Woo! Cortney Wolfson as Serena and Becky Gulsvig as Elle!
I'm so psyched it's coming to Boston!

"I told you, NO Rodgers and Hammerstein!"- Bart Simpson

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#47re: Legally Blonde Tour
Posted: 5/11/08 at 8:37pm

Courtney as Serena sounds like a great thing.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#48re: Legally Blonde Tour
Posted: 5/11/08 at 9:27pm

I am so excited Cortney is Serena! Congrats to her!

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

broadwayboy1017
#49re: Legally Blonde Tour
Posted: 5/11/08 at 9:58pm

Natalie Joy Johnson is Paulette!

Videos