pixeltracker

Rent vs. Spring Awakening- Page 2

Rent vs. Spring Awakening

jake6970
#25re: Rent vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 11/19/07 at 12:56am

Yeah I know what you mean.....lots of fans just freak out over the actors and that's it...there are a few of us who have been following the show since the beginning and fell in love with it before we even knew who was in it. Then of course a bunch of girls saw some pics of jonathan groff and voila.

brainlessorwise Profile Photo
brainlessorwise
#26re: Rent vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 11/19/07 at 1:04am

Rent. I enjoy Spring Awakening too, but more for the experience than the show itself. I've never cried at Spring Awakening. I've balled throughout Rent many times.

BwayLeadman
#27re: Rent vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 11/19/07 at 1:08am

Rent Please

mauriposa
#28re: Rent vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 11/19/07 at 1:19am

RENT, despite the increasingly inept performers they choose to cast. And, for the record, "blah blah blah" does not qualify as lyrics.

Christina  Cooper Profile Photo
Christina Cooper
#29re: Rent vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 11/19/07 at 3:55am

RENT hands down

"It's terrible to have a house fall on you, it is, but accidents will happen"

DMsquared2 Profile Photo
DMsquared2
#30re: Rent vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 11/19/07 at 4:34am

My vote goes to Rent.
Spring Awakening just didn't resonate within me as much.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#31re: Rent vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 11/19/07 at 6:41am

RENT. Hands down.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

sciguy
#32re: Rent vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 11/19/07 at 6:42am

This 45 yr old casts a vote for Spring Awakening. It moved me way more than Rent ever did. I won't even waste my time addressing all of the SA haters. What's up with that?

colleen_lee
#33re: Rent vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 11/19/07 at 6:55am

If we were still in the late 90s, I would say RENT. But RENT has long since left its heyday and I haven't seen a truly good performance of the show since probably 2000.

So, Spring Awakening.

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

Zeitoujo
#34re: Rent vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 11/19/07 at 8:33am

Spring Awakening in a heartbeat!

I HATED RENT!!!!!! UGH IT WAS AWFUL!

"Those You've Known And Lost Still Walk Behind You"-Spring Awakening

IrishTerrier Profile Photo
IrishTerrier
#35re: Rent vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 11/19/07 at 9:19am

Allow me to revise the above post.

RENT in a heartbeat!

I HATED SPRING AWAKENING!!!!!! UGH IT WAS AWFUL
Updated On: 11/19/07 at 09:19 AM

silversurfer2
#36re: Rent vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 11/19/07 at 10:02am

jake: I agree with ;everything you have said. RENT gave me a headache....SA is far superior in many ways.

brainlessorwise Profile Photo
brainlessorwise
#37re: Rent vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 11/19/07 at 11:00am

I think I could have more respect for Spring Awakening if they didn't replay the whole sex scene in the beginning of Act 2. It would be more impactful and less "in your face" if they just left it a little to the imagination. The thrusting in the second act is unnecessary, we get it, they had sex. That being said Spring Awakening has elements that are both inventive and interesting. It's a good show.

They erred in a more positive way in Rent. More likely than not, at that time, Mimi would not recover enough to burst into song, and realistically none of those charactors survived. The ending was tailored to put a positive spin on desperate and hopeless situation. I believe Rent was crucial to changing opinions and informing people who were oblivous at that time about AIDS.

Spring Awakening was written over a hundred years ago, adapted to speak to today's youth and it will likely be readapted 100 years from now with the same issues still at hand. I'm not saying it's irrelevant because of that. It speaks to people today and that's wonderful, but it just doesn't have the same potential to effect change in the world.

nothatgirl Profile Photo
nothatgirl
#38re: Rent vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 11/19/07 at 11:21am

I liked Rent- it's great, however the music from SA is amazing. I haven't seen it yet, but it's on my to see list for the fall. I think every show is flawed in some way once you start breaking it down, both SA and Rent have their issues but both are great shows IMO.

trinaaron Profile Photo
trinaaron
#39re: Rent vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 11/19/07 at 11:39am

If we are talking about which show I would rather see right now I would have to say Spring Awakening. I saw it in May and would like to see it again. If the question is more general (or if you had asked 2 months ago), then the answer is Rent all the way. Rent has been at the top of my list for over 10 years and nothing as of yet has touched it.

nydirector2
#40re: Rent vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 11/19/07 at 12:25pm

Will someone please tell me why Spring Awakening moved them...or why it's an important piece. And yes...it was banned in its country of origin because it was so bad...bad as in it's about 13-14 year olds raping eachother and talking heads.

What is the point of Spring Awakening? The whole theme of the show is about how kids should be allowed to discover things or know things...but the result is suicide and back alley abortions gone wrong. So does that mean the adults...aka the bad guys...were right after all? I just don't understand why something is stated as breathtaking when the moral of the story is, "Have sex with the cute boy and you will die"

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#41re: Rent vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 11/19/07 at 2:13pm

If by bad, you mean controversial.

I think one of the big problems with Spring Awakening is that the original morality of the play gets lost and muddled in everything else that's going on. The fact that people have trouble figuring out the so-called "point" is just that issue, which I blame mostly on the fact that they changed an explicit rape to something that can fall between the lines. I always thought it was saying something to the effect of, "this is what happens when we repress our children" -- not that suicide, etc. is the result of sexual discovery, but, of course, that interpretation sort of falls through if it's not rape. They've made a hero of Melchior, which I think is a disservice to what the original play was trying to convey.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#42re: Rent vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 11/19/07 at 3:01pm

Rent is a show that defined an era, a show that changed the way people looked at musicals, a show that won the Pulitzer, a show that made stars out of its leads, a show that has stood the test of time.

Spring awakening is a show which wanted to achieve all that rent did but failed, its a show that won some Tonys and had the world scratching their heads going "choreography .....really?"

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Studmuffn520
#43re: Rent vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 11/19/07 at 3:15pm

i love rent. i think it had its time though and now its spring awakenings time. idk which i would want to see more though. id just go to both!

Jonny boy Profile Photo
Jonny boy
#44re: Rent vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 11/19/07 at 3:23pm

People are kidding that she should see RENT over Spring Awakening.... right?? I am a fan of RENT , but Spring Awakening is 1,000,000 times better! I would for sure see Spring Awakening , no questions asked!

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#45re: Rent vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 11/19/07 at 3:32pm

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha spring Awakening is not even close to Rent

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

trinaaron Profile Photo
trinaaron
#46re: Rent vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 11/19/07 at 3:36pm

"What is the point of Spring Awakening? The whole theme of the show is about how kids should be allowed to discover things or know things...but the result is suicide and back alley abortions gone wrong. So does that mean the adults...aka the bad guys...were right after all? I just don't understand why something is stated as breathtaking when the moral of the story is, "Have sex with the cute boy and you will die"

I think the creators of Spring Awakening are creating part of the problem by the way they are selling this show. In numerous interviews I have heard them say the theme is that society and its views on sex and young people is the cause of all the problems these characters have. A much more appropriate "point" is that adolescence is hard and there are no easy answers on how to help young people get through it, no matter the time or place.

Jonny boy Profile Photo
Jonny boy
#47re: Rent vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 11/19/07 at 3:37pm

"I think the creators of Spring Awakening are creating part of the problem by the way they are selling this show. In numerous interviews I have heard them say the theme is that society and its views on sex and young people is the cause of all the problems these characters have."

I think the show is great because it brings up these types of Taboo's. There are a Ton of people in this country who remind me a lot of the parents in SA. They think that by sheltering them they are helping them , but in the end it hurts them because kids dont learn the reality of things. By them being overprotective they do more harm than good! Updated On: 11/19/07 at 03:37 PM

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#48re: Rent vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 11/19/07 at 4:04pm

People are kidding that she should see RENT over Spring Awakening.... right??

The original poster didn't ask which show he should see. He asked which one YOU would rather see.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Jonny boy Profile Photo
Jonny boy
#49re: Rent vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 11/19/07 at 4:10pm

Great... thanks for the clarification

Videos