pixeltracker

My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)- Page 2

My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)

popular_elphie Profile Photo
popular_elphie
#25re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 12:34am

Sets: SOUTH PACIFIC or SUNDAY, though I think YF has a little bit of a shot.
Lighting: PASSING STRANGE
Costumes: No clue with this one.
Choreography: IN THE HEIGHTS. There's not too much dancing on Broadway this season, is there?
Direction: SUNDAY
Score: IN THE HEIGHTS or PASSING STRANGE
Book: XANADU?
Orchestrations: *
Best Leading Actor: Lin-Manuel, especially after those reviews.
Best Leading Actress: Patti LuPone
Best Supporting Actress: Laura Benanti or Andrea Martin. I think Andrea really has a shot.
Best Supporting Actor: Christopher Fitzgerald
Revival: SUNDAY
Musical: IN THE HEIGHTS

* Here's the deal: I'm a sucker for orchestrations, and I particularly love MERMAID's and YF's this year. I haven't seen SOUTH PACIFIC yet, but I'm sure they'll be great, and with SUNDAY, where can you really go wrong? I'm torn on all of them.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#26re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 12:36am

CpnHook, have you read the reviews for IN THE HEIGHTS?

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#27re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 12:41am

ray - I'm not talking reviews, I'm talking my personal opinion. :)

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#28re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 12:43am

No one's thinking Boyd Gaines for GYPSY? I think he has a shot.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

ray-andallthatjazz86
#29re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 12:44am

I completely understand. I mean, I have no personal opinion since I haven't seen XANADU or IN THE HEIGHTS (did see SUNDAY and thought Evans gave the best performance in the show), but I think reviews are an important factor to consider when predicting the Tonys. The glowing reviews for Miranda are out of the water.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#30re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 12:50am

Miranda was very good in the show, but he didn't shine until the very end. Jackson was also very good throughout, and he added a very specific comedic side to his character that James Caprinello (sp?) had not included. If the Tony race were between these two, I'd say both deserve it equally, with my personal preference to Jackson.

IF Boyd Gaines somehow gets the nod in Leading rather than Featured (which it won't...it's a Featured role), it'll go to him over every other actor.

WAIT A MINUTE - I think we're all forgetting a very important contender for Leading Actor...Mr. Max Crumm!!! HEEEELLLLOOOO!

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#31re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 12:54am

No, I meant Boyd in Featured. I think he has a strong shot there.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#32re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 1:06am

Who are the other featured actors? Robin De Jesus? I really hope Fitzgerald does not walk away with the award.
Updated On: 3/10/08 at 01:06 AM

ray-andallthatjazz86
#33re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 1:15am

There's Matthew Morrison and Danny Burstein for SOUTH PACIFIC (the actor who played Burstein's role--Billis-in the original production won the award), Harvey Fierstein and Matt Cavenaugh for A CATERED AFFAIR (not sure if Tom Wopat will be leading or featured), Michael Cumpsty and Alexander Gemignani from SUNDAY (neither of which deserves a nomination, IMO), Robin DeJesus and Christopher Jackson from IN THE HEIGHTS, Fitzgerald from YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN, Titus Burgess and Norm Lewis in THE LITTLE MERMAID, and random featured actors who have no chance of a nomination from GREASE. Not sure if there are any prominent feature male roles in CRY-BABY.

thetinymagic2 Profile Photo
thetinymagic2
#34re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 1:20am

Colman Domingo-Supporting Actor-Musical-Passing Strange
(Whatz inzide iz juzt a liiiieeee!)

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#35re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 1:29am

Boyd Gaines will win Featured Actor.
In The Heights will win Score.

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#36re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 1:34am

Well as of now I'm hoping for either DeJesus or Boyd Gaines over Fitzgerald (who I am usually a fan of).

ray-andallthatjazz86
#37re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 1:38am

I forgot to list the Featured Performers from PASSING STRANGE.

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#38re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 1:47am

BOYD BOYD BOYD
GAINES GAINES GAINES

Nobody else comes close.

And come to think of it, nobody else comes close to Lin Manuel Miranda either.

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

Urban
#39re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 3:13am

I just don't get that feeling Patti will win. In does appear in recent years the Tony committees have prefered to give out the Acting Awards to people who created roles and not re-create them, no matter how good they are. Especially like one as Mama Rose, who has just been re-created to many times (not to mention way to recently) for it to be unique and big enough for the Tonys to heap acolaids on.

jeniferrenepatricia Profile Photo
jeniferrenepatricia
#40re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 3:19am

Does anyone think that Mary Testa or Jackie Hoffman have a shot for supporting actress? I thought they stole the show....Also, Cheyenne definitely gets my vote, and the great LuPone.

Acting should be bigger than life. Scripts should be bigger than life. It should all be bigger than life.- Bette Davis

Fat Actor Profile Photo
Fat Actor
#41re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 5:47am

I think I read on the Tony website that they added an award for Sound design aswell.

"Who do ya gotta F#%k to get a break in this town?!!!"-Max, The Producers.

LuPonatic Profile Photo
LuPonatic
#42re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 6:00am

Who I would give the awards to

Best Leading Actor: Lin-Manuel Miranda
Best Leading Actress: Patti LuPone
Best Supporting Actor: Christopher Fitzgerald
(he works his butt off in that show and it's good)
Best Supporting Actress: Megan Mullally
So many funny ladies this season...)
Best Choreography: Cry Baby
Best Score: In the Heights
Best Book: Xanadu
Best Musical: Cry Baby
Best Revival: Sunday in the Park with George

These are my choices, not who I think WILL win

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#43re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 10:06am

I wish Mary Testa and Jackie Hoffman would be co-nominated. That said, they have an excellent shot either way.

I do think both Daniel Evans and Jenna Russell will win for their performances in Sunday in the Park With George. And South Pacific will take best revival as a sentimental favorite. Best featured actor is the toughest to call-Tom Wopat may have a shot, and I personally liked Fitzgerald's performance-he was the only one I really liked in Young Frankenstein. Best featured actress will either go to one of the Xanadu girls or Laura Benanti (who seems like the front runner at this point).

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#44re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 10:13am

OK lets be honest Xanadu is not going to win best book

I think his years Tonys are quite wide open, i do think Best Leading Actor will go to Lin-Manuel Miranda.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#45re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 10:17am

I could agree more with your choices!

though I want PASSING STRANGE to win for Best New Musical...

I heard a rumor that Patti Lupone already asked the TONYS to engraved her name in the trophy itself... (that's a joke , okay? ) though I heard that she was fabulous!!!!

Forget Faith Prince! and whoever the girl in Cry-Baby-(that's a inside joke amongst us...WAT & WBaF! ) Its Patti baby!

J*

Updated On: 3/10/08 at 10:17 AM

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#46re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 10:20am

Best Score will go to A Catered Affair as will Best Book. Anything is better than Passing Strange and Xanadu. Boyd Gaines is a shoo-in for Featured Actor. I'm not going to give away director yet, but Buntrock seems the likely winner to me. I haven't seen Sher's work or Doyle's work though. Best Musical? Who cares? It's a marketing ploy. Revival will go to Sunday.
Best Actress better go to Jenna Russel, but if LuPone gets it, so what? She's a great star turning in a great performance, just not my personal favorite for that category.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#47re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 1:03pm

especially since everyone and their mother has played Momma Rose)

Classic! re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#48re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 3:01pm

I think YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN was more of a technical achievement than anything and will be rewarded (at this point) with Tonys for its set design and lighting design. Tony almost always awards the most over-the-top sets and lights as opposed to the more subtle (and usually leagues better) lighting design of other shows.

And I think LuPone is a lock for a leading actress win. Her reviews at City Center were glowing and I am sure she's only improved with time.

Also, I don't think PASSING STRANGE will be the hit everyone is hoping it will be. It doesn't have a real loyal target audience a la SPRING AWAKENING or even IN THE HEIGHTS. I don't see it winning score or musical at this point. And since they awarded a nice combination of artsy achievement/phenom in SPRING AWAKENING with Best Musical last year, I think they're gonna go back to awarding the commercial hit of the year, which will most likely be IN THE HEIGHTS...and it got pretty favorable reviews which can't hurt.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#48re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 3:01pm

Double post. Updated On: 3/10/08 at 03:01 PM

Videos