pixeltracker

What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?- Page 2

What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#25re: What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?
Posted: 3/11/08 at 12:50pm

She can't act.

Pathetic statement.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#26re: What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?
Posted: 3/11/08 at 12:54pm

re: What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#27re: What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?
Posted: 3/11/08 at 12:57pm

I agree it's stupid to say Bernadette can't act. But it's no secret that her voice wasn't up to par with the score. Same with Tyne Daly. Bernadette atleast made the score listenable. But I absolutely believe that Patti is the first Broadway Rose to sing the score in the style of Merman.
Updated On: 3/11/08 at 12:57 PM

bwayguy22089
#28re: What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?
Posted: 3/11/08 at 12:58pm

I don't think people really disliked her in the show. I think people didn't really love the production and/or direction. Arthur Laurents said he loved Peters as Rose.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#29re: What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?
Posted: 3/11/08 at 1:08pm

Well, so far, every woman who sang Gypsy on Broadway came to some grief at some point with singing it 8 times a week. Merman burst a blood vessel, missed a few shows, and the keys were lowered upon her return. I've seen some postings on the net from people who saw Lansbury in tattered voice, but still managing to pull it off. Daly of course, is in famously bad shape on the cast recording. Even old ironsides, Betty Buckley, missed a week's worth of shows at Paper Mill. Peters, as I mentioned earlier, had two blow outs, one prior to opening and then immediately after, but then settled in and really had no incidents of losing her voice for the rest of the run of more than 400 performances.

So far so good with Patti, but if it happens to her, there's certainly a history of that role being a vocally taxing workout for the best of the best.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#30re: What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?
Posted: 3/11/08 at 1:13pm

I saw it in the middle of the run, and she was straining like a pit bull on a leash.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

dfwactor
#31re: What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?
Posted: 3/11/08 at 1:16pm

I saw Tyne. I saw Bernadette. I'll take Bernadette. She was likable.

I agree 100% with smaxie.

I am not a huge fan of Bernadette but Gypsy made me a bigger one than I was. She was definitely having vocal troubles and definitely navigating her way through the songs.

Didn't care for her Witch or her Annie Oakley, but I liked her Rose - quite a bit. Maybe it was because I did not have high expectations. I am sure that helped.

BigFatBlonde Profile Photo
BigFatBlonde
#32re: What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?
Posted: 3/11/08 at 2:57pm

Peters didn't work for me.

One reason is that I didn't find her the least bit intimidating.

I was never scared by her and I couldn't believe anyone on that stage would have cowed to her chihuahua level of fierceness.

What great ones do the less will prattle of

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#33re: What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?
Posted: 3/11/08 at 3:25pm

Never saw her live, but I have seen her in the role by other means. Everyone who likes her in the role has pretty much described my feelings about her brilliant performance. I will add though, that the line "she would have made a hell of a stripper" (or however the line goes) truly resonated with her in the role, and created a sort of haunting connection to the beginning of "Rose's Turn" when she goes "I was born too soon and I started too late." Hers is my GYPSY cast recording of choice, not the best sung, but in my mind, the best acted.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

BroadwayBound062 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound062
#34re: What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?
Posted: 3/11/08 at 4:52pm

I think it was the wrong choice for her vocally

Genius lasts longer than beauty.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#35re: What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?
Posted: 3/11/08 at 5:14pm

I saw Bernadette's performance towards the end of the run. Unfortunately I was too distracted (and freaked out) by a mouse that kept running up and down the aisle and in my row. I saw the Tyne Daly revival 9x, saw Jana Robbins (understudy and her first night as Rose) and Linda Lavin (don't even get me started). I wish I remember something of Bernadette's performance, but I don't. I just remember not really liking that particular production. I actually remember more from Jana Robbins and Linda Lavin.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#36re: What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?
Posted: 3/11/08 at 7:04pm

"Her Rose was multi-dimensional - showing not only her strength but also a certain vulnerability that made the character more sympathetic and believable."

That's exactly why I loved her as Rose. Even though she showed Rose's vulnerability, she was fierce, vocally and acting-wise. I can't imagine a more multi-dimensional Rose.

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#37re: What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?
Posted: 3/11/08 at 10:16pm

But, munkustrap, what would we do on BWW if we didn't beat dead horses?

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#38re: What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?
Posted: 3/11/08 at 10:21pm

Loved Peters. I went in skeptical, and came out having found her Rose more dimensional than Daly's. And she nailed every note the night I was there, toward the end of the run. I thought she was phenomenal.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#39re: What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?
Posted: 3/11/08 at 10:30pm

Every woman who has played Rose on Broadway was brilliant in the role, except for one, and to quote Dottie "don't even get me started" on her.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#40re: What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?
Posted: 3/11/08 at 10:37pm

Which one?

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

Demitri2 Profile Photo
Demitri2
#41re: What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?
Posted: 3/11/08 at 10:37pm

I've seen the show with five different Roses. The first time was in stock with Ann Sothern (my favorite), then Lansbury, JoAnne Worley (least favorite), Daly and twice with Peters. Peters was wonderful as Rose. Each actress brought their own interpretation to the role. Both times I saw Peters(which was near the end of the run) her voice was in fine form which was not necessarily the case with Tyne Daly. I too feel Peters was unjustly treated by that geek from the N.Y. Post. And yes I saw the original cast of "Hairspray" and how Peters lost the Tony Award to Winokur is beyond me.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#42re: What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?
Posted: 3/11/08 at 10:50pm

For the record, the many times I saw Bernadette, she was drop dead brilliant.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#43re: What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?
Posted: 3/11/08 at 11:30pm

This points up why this show is revived so frequently: there is no single correct way to play teh charactera nd teh variety of interpretations is never less than fascinating.

Somone in another thread complained that it was too soon for another Broadway revival. Classic shows like GYPSY should be in active repretoire and brought back every few seasons to reach new audiences. Much in the same way the classic operas are brought back time and again by teh Met and NYCO. (I never hear anyone complaing that it's too soon to see CARMEN staged again.)

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

Urban
#44re: What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?
Posted: 3/13/08 at 9:11am

Nothing new to say but I just read this thread and think it is wonderful that Bernie's performance did touch so many people in a really positive way. That is what the magic is about and I am jealous.

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#45re: What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?
Posted: 3/13/08 at 9:48am

I'm sorry, Wanna Be A Foster and everyone else *blushes* *smiles* The KSO is the Knoxville Symphony Orchestra re: What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?

And have I mentioned how much I love Bernie and her Rose and her Witch and everything about her *lol*

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

sidwich
#46re: What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?
Posted: 3/13/08 at 3:33pm

Not awful, but when I saw her she was fine vocally but I never really felt her connecting to Mama Rose. I always felt like I was watching Bernadette Peters, musical comedy star, as Mama Rose. Someone upthread mentioned how well-thought her performance was, and unfortunately, I always felt like I was watching a well-thought-out performance rather than really feeling the actress was the character. Perhaps it was just a case of wrong fit of actor to role. It just didn't work for me, and I was not surprised at all when she lost the Tony to Marisa Jaret Winokur.

BTW, I saw Tyne Daly's Rose when she was still on the road in Los Angeles before her voice gave out and she was stunning.

It's unfortunate because I'm actually a big fan of Bernadette Peters. I'm one of the few that actually prefered to her Annie to Reba McEntire's.

Theatrical Landladies Profile Photo
Theatrical Landladies
#47re: What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?
Posted: 3/13/08 at 5:22pm

SMAXIE thank you SO much for your thoughts on Bernadette's Rose. VERY INSIGHTFUL!

We came over to see the show for the first preview and then again towards the end of the run and the difference was remarkable. She really developed in the role and as so many others have said she brought a depth of humanity which can be so easily missing. Bernadette does have a huge amount of personal warmth and she took you through a journey with Rose which was ultimately incredibly moving. Vocally she did not disappoint for one moment.

We saw Patti last week and she is incredible but the experience is very different. It is extremely powerful and enjoyable but not nearly so emotional. I didn't feel at the end that she was having a breakdown whereas with Bernadette we had the breakdown with her. I was a wreck after the second time we went to the show and we were visiting Bernadette after and I was still crying backstage!!

Biggest let down for Bernadette was the very poor sets but God knows they looked a $1m next to Patti's high school production!

NB We love Patti and Bernadette!

"Your eyes..... they shine like the pants on my blue serge suit"

Videos