pixeltracker

What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?

What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?

Zeitoujo
#1What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?
Posted: 3/11/08 at 8:13am

I didn't see "Gypsy" with her... can someone explain why many felt that she was awful? Thank you!

At "Gypsy" with LuPone Saturday night at intermission people were saying how Peters was a joke compared to Patti.

I thought Patti was phenomenal and plan on seeing her again soon!!!

"Those You've Known And Lost Still Walk Behind You"-Spring Awakening

Yankeefan007
#2re: What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?
Posted: 3/11/08 at 8:40am

Do the words "Blissfully Brilliant" mean anything to you?

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#2re: What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?
Posted: 3/11/08 at 8:41am

It depends on your perspective and when you saw her.

My argument is this. Every actress who played Rose got to try it out first away from New York. Merman had an out-of-town try out. Angela Lansbury did it in London and on national tour before New York. Tyne Daly was on the road for a year with Arthur Laurents whipping her into shape before New York. Patti LuPone had Ravinia and City Center.

Bernadette is the only one who had to learn how to sing it and act it before the meanest bitches in the world - New York audiences. Early previews, you could see the strain. It wasn't a performance yet. Then, she got sick after about three weeks of previews and missed some shows. Recovered, was in fine form for opening it, but then got sick again. All with Michael Riedel covering every step in caustic detail to the glee of the theatrical community.

It takes some time to figure out how to negotiate that role so that you have the lungs to sing it and act it 8 times a week. She got there, but it took a good six weeks or so. For someone who is not the type of loudmouth broad that usually gets to play that role, Bernadette ended up giving a thoughtful and well-sung performance. I think things might have gone differently had she had the chance to break in her Rose somewhere else before braving Broadway.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#3re: What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?
Posted: 3/11/08 at 8:43am

Well said, Smaxie!

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

Urban
#4re: What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?
Posted: 3/11/08 at 8:45am

smaxie, thanks for such a great analysis.

hellzapoppin2000 Profile Photo
hellzapoppin2000
#5re: What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?
Posted: 3/11/08 at 8:49am

Peters was exceptional as Rose -- for once we had a woman who was really sexy and had personal charm and charisma and for whom you could genuinely feel that she really would have been something if given the chance. The only one to approach the Peters interpretation was Lansbury. Daly, Merman, LuPone all lacked lacked the warmth to make Rose sympathetic. The point of Peter's interpretation that she is not the monster that most musical comedy queens feel she should be. Pity because Peters gave a truly memorable and moving performance.

acrocksyo Profile Photo
acrocksyo
#6re: What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?
Posted: 3/11/08 at 9:06am

I never saw her in an actual performance as Rose, but when I saw her performance on the Tony Awards I was seriously doubting Marisa Jaret Winokur's chances of winning. She is a brilliant interpreter of song and she just wasn't given her fair shot at playing the role. She wasn't bad, she didn't get the preparation that the other Rose's got.

And well said Smaxie!

http://theaterfag.blogspot.com/ Reviews and the like

WonderRobbie Profile Photo
WonderRobbie
#7re: What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?
Posted: 3/11/08 at 9:24am

Yes, VERY well said Smaxie.
I saw both Bernadette and Patti. It was late in the run for Bernadette so she was top-notch by the time I saw her. Patti gave a very different and equally as brilliant performance.

In all honesty, I was in tears at the end of Bernadette's "Rose's Turn", not so much after Patti's version but thought it was amazing as well. I agree with hellza on the fact that Bernadette was a bit more moving in that sense.

But both are legends and make more money than I do so I can't really say much... lol

WR: "Jeff, are you going get this game when it comes out?" JB: "I wouldn't be able to write another musical..." ~NY ComicCon 2/8/09

[believe]

philcrosby
#8re: What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?
Posted: 3/11/08 at 9:29am

I only have the cast recording to go by for Peters performance, but based on that -- and only that -- she ranks only just above Daly in terms of being able to deliver the score. Not as an actress mind you, as a singer. The songs, even though she is very carefully negotiating them, are clearly taxing for her. Not surprising, considering who they were created for.

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#9re: What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?
Posted: 3/11/08 at 9:43am

Well said, Smaxie. Thank you.

I, for one, saw no problem at all with Bernie's Rose. One of the finest nights I have ever spent in the Broadway theatre.

Side note. I just found out the LOVELY Ms Peters will be with the KSO here in October!!!

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#10re: What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?
Posted: 3/11/08 at 9:48am

Well, I wholeheartedly disagree with the idea that Bernadette had warmth. I didnt see it in her performance. The only Rose I've seen with less (professionally) was Buckley at Papermill. The most important thing in portraying Rose is that you MUST buy into the fact that Herbie, Louise and even June love her. We dont have to love her since we can see what she's doing to each of them, but there must be a reason for them all to stay and put up with her. Otherwise the journey we go on is not satisfying. Her relationship with Herbie is pivotal since the girls have to be with Rose, but Herbie is choosing to stick around.
This is where LuPone and Daly truly delivered, for me, and Peters fell a bit short, and Buckley failed. I believe that Gaines and LuPone are in love and that Larkin and Benanti adore their mother, in spite of herself. Daly did that as well, beautifully, but she didnt sing the part very well...but LuPone has both. I dont understand how anyone cant see her love for her children, and the sparks with Herbie.

Peters seemed afraid of the role to me...she seemed to be on a marathon counting the mile markers. Her Rose's Turn felt like she could finally see the finish line and finally let go...but even the final scene where she lets her guard down and admits she did it for herself and that she simply wasnt good enough didnt have the impact of Daly and LuPone.

I expect, and have heard, that Lansbury was the best Rose, and that is the #1 performance I'd have liked to have seen...I bet she was stunning.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#11re: What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?
Posted: 3/11/08 at 9:48am

EponineAmneris, for those of us who have no clue what KSO stands for (most people here), perhaps you could enlighten us.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 3/11/08 at 09:48 AM

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#12re: What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?
Posted: 3/11/08 at 9:57am

It's funny, Doodle, of the Roses I've seen (Daly, Lavin, Buckley, Peters, Lupone), Peters was the first time I thought Rose could be Dainty June's mother. It's the first time I could see why Herbie would want to stick around. I thought Peters was the warmest of the Roses I've seen and the moments of crazy came out of her like she couldn't help it.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#13re: What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?
Posted: 3/11/08 at 10:01am

Okay...That's not what I saw at all, so was answering the original poster.

Different Roses for different folks!

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

philcrosby
#14re: What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?
Posted: 3/11/08 at 10:16am

I did see Lansbury -- twice -- and she was brilliant.

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#15re: What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?
Posted: 3/11/08 at 10:20am

you lucky ducky dirty dog!

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#16re: What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?
Posted: 3/11/08 at 10:21am

Peters was a revelation in the role IMO. It seems like many people here seemed to like her. I saw her later in the run and I think she was at home when I saw her perform. I think she was the most petite and sexiest Momma Rose who was experiencing a parallel process with her daughter, Gypsy. Both were in a way using themselves as a tool to get what they wanted. Peters was brassy, but never in an over the top "drag queen" way. She acted the part very well. She broke my heart.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

#17re: What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?
Posted: 3/11/08 at 10:25am

"Some people think I pulled it off..other people think I just stood there and coughed."

Brilliant analysis from Forbidden Broadway.

philcrosby
#18re: What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?
Posted: 3/11/08 at 10:57am

I don't think there is ever going to be agreement on a definitive Rose because a) not all of us have seen every actress to try the role and b) every actress is going to bring something new to it.

Is there a definitive Hamlet? King Lear? Willie Loman? Blanche DuBois? Amanda Wingfield? Dolly Levi? There will always be the creator, of course. But past that .....

rosekwbp Profile Photo
rosekwbp
#19re: What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?
Posted: 3/11/08 at 11:00am

Bernadette Peters Momma Rose was one of the most brilliant performances I have ever seen on stage. She made you laugh and she made you cry. Although you realized some of the things she did were unfair you understood why she had to keep pushing to get her dream to come true. You understood why it took so long for June and then Herbie to leave. Her character was warm and it was a very moving performance. Her singing blew me away. I left the Shubert Theatre that night completely emotionally exhausted because of everything that Momma Rose had to go through. Updated On: 3/11/08 at 11:00 AM

Rentfan931
#20re: What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?
Posted: 3/11/08 at 11:24am

I saw Peters as Rose and I totally loved her performance. I remember leaving the theatre wanting to attend the evening performance that day. However, I have no desire to see the show at the moment with Patti in it. I may catch it around the summer if I have time.

Mojojo5 Profile Photo
Mojojo5
#21re: What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?
Posted: 3/11/08 at 11:25am

I was not the biggest fan of Bernadette's Rose (as others have said, she was sick most of the run and the score did not sit naturally in her voice) but I will say she was the first Rose who made me believe she was so desperate to be a star that she would push Louise into burlesque. She nor the audience could believe that she had just said "My daughter can do it." The moment LuPone's Rose enters the strip joint you know what is going to eventually happen. Peters played her as a woman who would never stoop so low.

Z.

"You're not a kid anymore, Robby. I don't think you'll ever be a kid again, kiddo." - Joanne, Company

bob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
#22re: What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?
Posted: 3/11/08 at 11:30am

Bernadette Peters was incredible as Rose - and Stephen Sondheim went on record to say he thought she was the best ever. Her Rose was multi-dimensional - showing not only her strength but also a certain vulnerability that made the character more sympathetic and believable. I have booked to see Patti Lupone in May but she is going to have to be seriously awesome to overtake the memories I have of Bernadette's performance.

THEATRE 2020: CURTAINS**** LET'S HEAR IT FOR THE GIRLS***** WICKED***** KEITH RAMSAY TAKING NOTES WITH EDWARD SECKERSON***** KAYLEIGH MCKNIGHT CONCERT***** RAGS***** ON MCQUILLAN'S HILL** DEAR EVAN HANSEN***** THE JURY***

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#23re: What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?
Posted: 3/11/08 at 12:43pm

I loved Bernadette's performance. She was so utterly vulnerable that when she said, "Why does everyone walk out?" you had tears streaming down your cheeks. And she sang the heck out of the role. You really got the idea that she was the one with all the talent and had she been given the chance, she'd have been the star. Her Rose's Turn gives me goosebumps with its range of emotions. I really loved her performance and wish I'd seen it at least once more. Amazing.

Patti's Rose is a little too hard edged for me. I can see where others like her. I just feel Rose was probably very vulnerable and constantly needed to be noticed. Patti's Rose didn't give me that sense.

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

Tom148502
#24re: What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?
Posted: 3/11/08 at 12:45pm

She can't act. She always looks out of place and the costumes and wigs don't help re: What was the problem with Peters as Momma Rose?

Videos