#25re: Favorite Opening Sequence In a Musical
Posted: 8/11/08 at 8:36pm

the Lion King
ACL
Into the Woods

Byron Abens
#26re: Favorite Opening Sequence In a Musical
Posted: 8/11/08 at 8:42pm

I agree with a lot of the ones already posted, so I'm going to add a few others that come to mind.

The opening of the original production of Sweeney Todd. The grave diggers with the Latin Requiem mass (in reverse), that sharp whistle blast into the Ballad of Sweeney Todd, absolutely thrilling.

"The Old Red Hills of Home" in Parade. The simplicity of the Young Soldier becoming his older self, then the entrance of the voices of the whole ensemble. In my opinion Parade had some of the best choral work in recent years. And when you got the end of the show and had the parade and that gorgeous ensemble bookending the entire production I got chills.

"Queenie Was a Blonde" from LaChiusa's Wild Party. From Toni Collete's first "Woo" with that completely dead-pan, utterly bored delivery, you knew you were going to see an amazing performance from her, which she delivered.

Finally, "In" from Carrie, but for completely different reasons. From the moment those girls entered and started singing and doing their Debbie Allen aerobics choreography my jaw was on the floor. You just knew that you were going to see a legendary train wreck of a show. And as bad as portions of that show were, there were also some really good moments, mainly the scenes between Carrie and Margaret. The "Evening Prayers" sequence was actually stunning in its staging and simplicity. However, those few moments of brilliance were eclipsed, and actually heightened, the absolute absurdity of other portions of the show.

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#27re: Favorite Opening Sequence In a Musical
Posted: 8/11/08 at 8:45pm

I love the way Comedy Tonight sets the tone for A Funny Thing Happened . . .and introduces all the characters and gets rid of all the exposition at the same time.

Fiddler on the Roof -- Tradition sets the tone for the entire musical. In fact sometimes I think it's the highlight of the musical.

felineofavenueb Profile Photo
felineofavenueb
#28re: Favorite Opening Sequence In a Musical
Posted: 8/11/08 at 9:11pm

Additions:
"Runyonland" from Guys and Dolls, when staged well is fantastic and so fun to watch
"There's No Business Like Show Business" from the Annie Get Your Gun revival versions
"Wilkommen" from Cabaret

To second:
42nd Street
Carousel
A Chorus Line

HamletWasBipolar Profile Photo
HamletWasBipolar
#29re: Favorite Opening Sequence In a Musical
Posted: 8/11/08 at 9:35pm

Im a whore when it comes to Valjean's Prologue in Les Mis. Oddly, I also like the beginning of Merrily We Roll Along. And of course, that damn flying chandelier.

" I wish that the stage were as narrow as a tightrope wire, so that no incompetent would dare step upon it." -- Goethe (he wants you to go to my Myspace page www.myspace.com/jasonklemm

JohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
#30re: Favorite Opening Sequence In a Musical
Posted: 8/11/08 at 11:25pm

On stage, nothing touches the opening of Carnival.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#31re: Favorite Opening Sequence In a Musical
Posted: 8/12/08 at 1:17pm

The entire opening sequence - nearly 15 minutes of song, underscored dialogue and movement - of GRAND HOTEL The Musical.

I hope the rumours are true that Shaw Festival will be staging the show next summer.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#32re: Favorite Opening Sequence In a Musical
Posted: 8/12/08 at 4:15pm

RAGTIME IS BY FAR THE BEST OPENING!

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

BradMajors Profile Photo
BradMajors
#33re: Favorite Opening Sequence In a Musical
Posted: 8/12/08 at 5:16pm

I love the opening of HAIR. "Aquarius" just sets the tone for the entire piece and it was a stroke of genius when that song was shifted to open the show when it transferred to Broadway. As originally written and performed in the Original Off-Broadway production at the Public "Aquarius" was performed mid-way into the second act.

TheBoyDownstairs Profile Photo
TheBoyDownstairs
#34re: Favorite Opening Sequence In a Musical
Posted: 8/12/08 at 10:30pm

Most people hit on all my favorites (Ragtime, Carousel, etc...) One I didnt see mentioned that I absolutely love though is Passion. Love the whole Happiness opening.

no1fosterluvah
#35re: Favorite Opening Sequence In a Musical
Posted: 8/12/08 at 10:59pm

re: Favorite Opening Sequence In a Musical

The Mystery of Edwin Drood- "There You Are" I love how they have the entire company out and it's just really amazing!

"a bad title, even? That could kill a show pretty good." -Little Sally Urinetown

defyingravity11 Profile Photo
defyingravity11
#36re: Favorite Opening Sequence In a Musical
Posted: 8/12/08 at 11:03pm

42nd Street
Beauty and the Beast
Grey Gardens
Ragtime
Sweeney Todd

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott

COOOOLkid
#37re: Favorite Opening Sequence In a Musical
Posted: 8/13/08 at 12:48am

I also love CATS.

No, I'm not kidding.

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy
Updated On: 8/13/08 at 12:48 AM

MrSweetNAwful Profile Photo
MrSweetNAwful
#38re: Favorite Opening Sequence In a Musical
Posted: 8/13/08 at 2:14am

Willkommen from Cabaret (the revival most of all, gotta love all the skin and sleaze)
Queenie Wazza Blonde from LaChiusa's Wild Party (that's how you start a show, with an ear-rapingly loud, dissonant blast from the brass section! not to mention the rest of the awesome opening number)
Urinetown (Everything from the start to the end of the title song. I heard how the preshow was done on Bway and wish I could've seen it)
Old Red Hills of Home (especially the end, when my university did it this year I just cried. Then again like 4 more times through the show)
Bat Boy (the opening spelunking scene in almost pitch darkness, the opening number and the sheriff carrying Edgar through the town interwoven with the song)
A Chorus Line (damn)

to name a few

You're reminding me of people you hear at the movies asking questions every ten seconds, "Who is that? Why is that guy walking down the street? Who's that lady coming up to him? Uh-oh, why did that car go by? Why is it so dark in this theater?" - FindingNamo on strummergirl

"If artists were machines, then I'm just a different kind of machine...I'd probably be a toaster. Actually, I'd be a toaster oven because they're more versatile. And I like making grilled cheese" -Regina Spektor

"That's, like, twelve shows! ...Or seven." -Crazy SA Fangirl

"They say that just being relaxed is the most important thing [in acting]. I take that to another level, I think kinda like yawning and...like being partially asleep onstage is also good, but whatever." - Sherie Rene Scott
Updated On: 8/13/08 at 02:14 AM

brochatkid
#39re: Favorite Opening Sequence In a Musical
Posted: 8/13/08 at 6:48am

The Lion King, hands-down. It gives me chills and I well up with tears. Simply amazing.

timesquare01
#40re: Favorite Opening Sequence In a Musical
Posted: 8/13/08 at 4:46pm

ive always quite liked the opening of footloose, in the production i was in the whole "footloose" scene was done in front of a black scrim and towards the end of it, all the dancers tickled out one by one leaving ren alone on a dark stage still dancing. suddenly, lights up, the church is behind ren for "on any sunday".

it truly was awesome.

ilovebroadway2
#41re: Favorite Opening Sequence In a Musical
Posted: 8/13/08 at 4:50pm

Wicked
Lion King
Cats
Legally Blonde
Into the Woods

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#42re: Favorite Opening Sequence In a Musical
Posted: 8/13/08 at 5:03pm

I'm all about Tarzan's opening. I still see it as one of the top moments I've ever seen on stage... from the blue map with the tiny ship moving closer to Africa, the sounds of the ocean and approaching storm, and the shipwreck scene all with Josh singing "Two Worlds" over it... so beautiful.

::bust a move::

Amharclann Profile Photo
Amharclann
#43re: Favorite Opening Sequence In a Musical
Posted: 8/13/08 at 5:15pm

I like the opening to the new London production of the Sound of Music. A figure on a crucifix on the scrim fading to become Maria on the hill in the same pose.

TheaterAddict7652
#44re: Favorite Opening Sequence In a Musical
Posted: 8/13/08 at 7:34pm

A Chorus Line
West Side Story
Ragtime
Company
Into the Woods

There's a lot I am not certain of...

jsg03jd Profile Photo
jsg03jd
#45re: Favorite Opening Sequence In a Musical
Posted: 8/13/08 at 7:36pm

How could I forget RAGTIME? Yes, definitely.

jsg03jd Profile Photo
jsg03jd
#46re: Favorite Opening Sequence In a Musical
Posted: 8/13/08 at 7:36pm

How could I forget RAGTIME? Yes, definitely.

sweetestsiren Profile Photo
sweetestsiren
#47re: Favorite Opening Sequence In a Musical
Posted: 8/13/08 at 8:19pm

- "Prologue: Ragtime" - beautiful, epic, and introduces the main characters and conflicts in the show. Really a perfect opening for that sort of show.
- "I Hope I Get it" - A Chorus Line
- "The Sound of Music"
- "Wilkommen" - Cabaret
- "Company"
- "Comedy Tonight" - A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum
- Opening Ballad from Sweeney Todd
- Opening monologue/"30/90" - tick, tick...BOOM!
- Though I dislike the show, "Not for the Life of Me" from Thoroughly Modern Millie
- "In the Heights" Updated On: 8/13/08 at 08:19 PM

Videos